National African American Parent
NAAPID home page |
Parents' Pledge |
Teachers' Pledge |
School Boards |
Building Principals/Local School
Community Organizations |
In preparation for "Take Your Child to School/Visit Your Child
in School" Day, the National African American Parent Involvement
Day Committee is calling upon all Parents/Guardians to do the
- Pre-Conference with Your Children (take notes)
- Ask children about what they are doing in school.
- Ask children for their school schedules.
- Ask children for grades of each subject for which they are
- Ask children about their citizenship in each class.
- Ask children what they like best and least about each
- Ask children about their goals and objectives, and how
parents and the school can assist them in meeting their goals
- "Take Your Child to School/Visit Your Child in
School" on the second Monday in February.
- Upon arriving at the school, sign in at the office.
- Ask each teacher about the academic and citizenship
status of your child.
- Refer to your notes from the preconference regarding
your child's report on that particular class and ask the
teacher any relevant questions.
- Proceed with dialogue on the differences and
similarities between the child's report and the teacher's
- Engage in problem solving to reconcile differences to
improve student performance.
- Exchange phone numbers (between teachers and parents).
- Develop a plan for future contacts during the school
- Before leaving the school, obtain handouts on upcoming
activities and schedules of all future parent conferences.
- End each parent/child and teacher conference on a positive
and respectful note.
- Post Conference
- Maintain open communication with child and teacher
throughout the school year.
- Supervise and review your child(ren)'s homework.
- Review school rules and regulations; go over school
handbook and review items that are appropriate for successful
- Place all school information and future dates of parent
conferences and other school activities in an easily accessible
- Maintain an updated list of your child(ren)'s athletic or
extracurricular activities coaches/teachers.
- Enforce age appropriate curfews that will allow proper
rest, time for study, organization, and preparation for a
successful school day.
Click here to
return to the NAAPID home page. For further information, contact
the NAAPID national office at (800) 351-4097, or send an email
message to Joe Dulin at
NAAPID, email@example.com. Be sure to include your name,
title, organization, address, phone, fax, and email address along
with any request for information. Thank you.
Copyright © 1995-96 National African American
Parent Involvement Day Page updated December