Four Dragon Island
Volume Nine
The Dragon Calls the Rough Sea Waves

Summary by Amparo Bertram




Fei tries to pretend that he wasn't affected by the events at the Blue Dragon's mansion so he can concentrate instead on helping his friends, but Max knows that his emotions are boiling underneath the surface. Not knowing the truth about his mother has Fei's nerves frazzled.

Fei sits in on the meeting with the shipping families in which Max determines how the new lumber will be distributed. Fei's friends, who were responsible for gaining the lumber in the first place, will have the rights to 70%. That's enough to put them on an even footing with the larger families.

Fei learns that, due to Max's goading, the Blue Dragon has launched a double-pronged attack. On one side he has a fleet of pirate ships at an island off the coast, crewed by convicted criminals, and on the other he has his Howaluu-equivalent the Kaorouche ready to invade the city from behind. Fei isn't sure whether Max would be more pleased by seeing his father's city destroyed or by thwarting the Blue Dragon's plans, and that worries him.

Fei drags Max to the criminals' island in an attempt to destroy as much of the enemy fleet as possible. They encounter the Shanchoan heir, who had secretly been working as a double agent to minimize the damage to the harbor and take any blame upon himself. He doesn't want to be saved, but Fei insists that he live and return home.

Fei confronts Tienlang, who is holding Lingchuan captive. In the struggle, they all fall over a cliff. Fei, hanging by one arm, catches Lingchuan and tries desperately to hold onto her. However, she orders him to let go, protesting that she isn't really his mother so he has no obligation to save her. He drops her into the sea at last after she threatens to cut off her own hand, but when Max pulls him to safety he's in shock and won't respond.

[Previous] [Next] [Back to Silongtou]