Four Dragon Island

Volumes Ten and Eleven
The Dragon Sports in the Storm
The Dragon Devours Blue

Summary by Amparo Bertram


Max brings Fei back to his senses with a nip on the neck, and they return to the city, where the sailors are finishing off the remaining pirate ships. The leader of the Kaorouche turns out to be the man who had helped Fei enter the Blue Dragon's estate, and their confrontation ends with only a token sparring session. While still deep in denial about what happened with Lingchuan, Fei is sent running to Qianglong to deliver a message for the White Dragon. The pain from Max's bite returns in full force the moment the message is received by the Blue Dragon--an official proposal of marriage to the Blue Dragon's sister. She is to be exchanged for peace between the two cities.

While Fei battles nightmares at the thought of Max kissing someone else, the White Dragon himself is making arrangements for his new wife to live in his uncle's mansion along with his heir. When the boy's mother protests that might put her son's life in danger if the White Dragon's wife wants to make sure her own children have no rivals, Max assures her that he has absolutely no intention of having any children.

Fei returns to Bailong to find that the Shanchoan heir has been sentenced to death for conspiring with the Blue Dragon, the execution to be carried out that day. Still in agony over Lingchuan and not wanting to see yet another person die, Fei fakes the young man's death and gets permission to take care of the "body."

Max has the wedding organized as quickly as possible. Within days, Fei and his top Howaluu men are assigned as an honor guard to escort the bride. She is supposed to wear a veil until the wedding night, but Fei becomes suspicious that she doesn't have Max's jade earring and reveals her to be an impostor. While part of Fei's heart wants to let the wedding be sabotaged, he suppresses his feelings and takes the bride away from the insane Blue Dragon by force.

Max's steward asks him why he really wants to marry the Blue Dragon's sister, knowing it's not for love. He comes back with the question, "What happens if a Dragon dies with no heirs?" After losing his sister, the Blue Dragon goes completely out of his mind, hurting himself whenever not tied up, trying to get rid of whatever aspect of him his sister didn't like. With no heirs, and being in no condition to beget any, he leaves his city with little choice but to hope that the White Dragon will be able to give them one of his future sons.

Since the Blue Dragon's sister had been given a strong sleeping drug, Fei takes her place in the ceremony to keep up appearances. He goes through the motions of marrying Max, who doesn't hesitate to bestow his affections on his "bride." He encourages Fei to let loose the emotions he's been keeping pent up since Lingchuan fell into the ocean. Finally, claiming he doesn't like events to go as expected, he takes back the jade earring and releases Fei to trade places with the sleeping princess. Meanwhile, out at sea, Lingchuan had been rescued and at last regains consciousness.

Max gives Fei a flower that was supposed to have been a message from his father's widow to his new bride, a magnolia blossom signifying "relax and serve." The flower has another name, Bai Yuiran Howa, which strikes Fei as sounding familiar. (See volume 6.)

[Previous] [Next] [Back to Silongtou]