- Applications of optimization models and algorithms
- Linear and Nonlinear programming
- Computational complexity of nonlinear optimization
- Interior-point methods in mathematical programming
Appeared or accepted
Submitted for publication
- "Extreme point characterization of constrained nonstationary infinite-horizon Markov decision processes with finite state space," I. Lee, M.A. Epelman, H.E. Romeijn, R.L. Smith, Operations Research Letters 42(3):238-245, 2014
- "A Dynamic Programming Approach to Achieving an Optimal End State Along a Serial Production Line," S.-F. Cheng, B.E. Nicholson, M.A. Epelman, D,J. Reaume, R.L. Smith, IIE Transactions 45(12):1278-1293, 2013
- "A new column generation based algorithm for VMAT treatment plan optimization," F. Peng, X. Jia, X. Gu, M.A. Epelman, H.E. Romeijn, and S.B. Jiang, Phys. Med. Biol. 57:4569-4588, 2012
- "Stochastic programming for off-line adaptive radiotherapy," M.Y. Sir, M.A. Epelman and S.M. Pollock, Annals of Operations Research, 2010
- "Optimizing call center staffing using simulation and analytic center cutting plane methods," Julius Atlason, M.A. Epelman and Shane G. Henderson, Management Science 54:295-309, 2008
- "Ideal spatial radiotherapy dose distributions subject to positional uncertainties," M.Y. Sir, S.M. Pollock, M.A. Epelman, Kwok L. Lam and Randall K. Ten Haken, Phys. Med. Biol., 51(24):6329-6347, 2006
- "CoSIGN: A Parallel Algorithm for Coordinated Traffic Signal Control," Shih-Fen Cheng, M.A. Epelman and R.L. Smith, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 7(4):551-564, 2006
- "A Shortest Path Approach to the Multiple-Vehicle Routing Problem with Split Pick-Ups," Chi-Guhn Lee, M.A. Epelman, Chelsea C. White, III, Yavuz Bozer, Transportation Research, Part B 40(4):265-284, 2006.
- "Assignment of Swimmers to Dual Meet Events, " Maciek Nowak, M.A. Epelman, and Stephen Pollock. Computers and Operations Research 33(7):1951-1962, 2006.
"Costlets: A Generalized Approach to Cost Functions for Automated Optimization of IMRT Treatment Plans
," Marc L. Kessler, Daniel L. Mcshan, M.A. Epelman, Karen A. Vineberg, Avraham Eisbruch, Theodore S. Lawrence, Benedick A. Fraass. Optimization and Engineering 6:421-448, 2005.
"A Fictitious Play Approach to Large-Scale Optimization," Theodore Lambert, III, M.A. Epelman, and R.L. Smith. Operations Research 53(3):477-489, 2005.
"Anisogamy, expenditure of reproductive effort, and the optimality of having two sexes," M.A. Epelman, Stephen Pollock, Brian Netter, and Bobbi Low. Operations Research 53(3):560-567, 2005.
- "Call center staffing with simulation and cutting plane methods," Julius Atlason, M.A. Epelman and Shane G. Henderson.
Annals of Operations Research 127:333-358, 2004.
"A new condition measure, pre-conditioners, and relations between different measures of conditioning for conic linear systems
," M.A. Epelman, Robert M. Freund,
SIAM Journal on Optimization, 12(3):627-655, 2002.
- "Condition Number Complexity of an Elementary Algorithm for Computing a Reliable Solution of a Conic Linear System
," M.A. Epelman, Robert M. Freund.
Mathematical Programming A 88:451-485, 2000.
- "Subsidized Prediction Markets for Risk Averse Agents," S. Dimitrov, M.A. Epelman, R. Sami, 2013, Submitted.
"Sampled Fictitious Play for Approximate Dynamic Programming," Marina Epelman, Archis Ghate, R.L. Smith, 2008 (revised 2009)
"Robust Linear Optimization With Recourse ," Aurélie Thiele, Tara Terry, and Marina Epelman, 2009, IOE Technical Report TR09-01.
Technical Reports, Working Papers, etc.
"Using simulation to approximate subgradients of convex performance measures in service systems," Julius Atlason, M.A. Epelman, and Shane Henderson, 2003. Proceedings of the 2003 Winter Simulation Conference. S. Chick, P. J. Snchez, D. Ferrin, and D. J. Morrice, eds. IEEE. (Refereed proceedings)
- "Combining simulation and cutting plane methods in service systems," Julius Atlason, M.A. Epelman, and Shane Henderson, Proceedings of the 2002 National Science Foundation Design, Service and Manufacturing Grantees Conference. (Non-refereed proceedings)
"New Models of Network Routing under Active Congestion Control," Stanko Dimitrov, M.A. Epelman, Dushyant Sharma, 2009.
"Sampled Fictitious Play for Black-Box Stochastic Sequential Decision Problems," Archis Ghate, M.A. Epelman, R.L. Smith, 2006, IOE Technical Report TR06-02.
"Sampled Fictitious Play for Complex Systems Optimization," Archis Ghate, M.A. Epelman, R.L. Smith, 2005, IOE Technical Report TR05-15.
"Finding Fixed Points by Averaging with Well-Behaved Maps," M.A. Epelman, Thomas L. Magnanti, Georgia Perakis, 2001.
Old version available as MIT O.R. Working Paper 322-97.
- Condition Number Complexity of an Elementary Algorithm for Resolving a Conic Linear System," M.A. Epelman, Robert M. Freund, MIT O.R. Working Paper 319-97, 1997.
"Complexity, Condition Numbers, and Conic Linear Systems," Ph.D. Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology,