Year's End

Part Three


Hiei paused outside of the clearing, invisible in the darkness of the night. He couldn't understand why his heart was beating so fast and his palms were actually *sweaty*! Ch. He could just picture how the fox would tease him about that particular betrayal of nervousness. Ah, well, soon this last hurdle would be past them, and then Kurama would truly belong to him.

The fire demon freely admitted to himself that he had been worried Kurama would tire of him despite the promises the youko had made. It wasn't until their last argument and subsequent makeup that Hiei was secure enough to relax and accept their relationship. It had taken the possibility of losing everything that made him understand there were no guarantees, and he admired Kurama's refusal to allow pride or circumstances to keep him from claiming the person he loved...even a forbidden child.

That positive inner knowledge gave him a certain poise and confidence that other people seemed to notice and respond to. When he had visited Kurama's house last night--at the stubborn redhead's insistence--Shiori had treated him with a degree of warmth that had previously been lacking despite her sincere efforts for her son's sake. Even Yukina had mentioned it when he had dropped by to see how she was faring. He had intended to interrogate her concerning the idiotic Kuwabara, but she had sidetracked him with her questions regarding the bonding ceremony. He was beginning to realize that her questions *might* have been more than just innocent curiosity. After all, she *was* his sister...

A noise inside the clearing brought him back to his surroundings. He took a deep, calming breath and tightened his grip on the black lacquer box in his hands. It was time.

Three steps forward and he was inside the clearing, the trees behind him obeying Kurama's enchantment by silently weaving their branches together, closing out the rest of the world. Hiei stopped and looked about him, impressed despite himself at the amount of care and work Kurama had obviously put into preparing his old retreat. He hadn't known what to expect. With Kurama it could have been anything; the fox delighted in keeping his lover on his toes. Yet he hadn't expected this.

His first impressions of the clearing were of contrasts. Dancing patterns of light among the retreat and seduction of the shadows. The delicate hint of roses flirted with the stronger scent of the surrounding forest. The only light was provided by dozens of candles in beautifully colored glass bowls held by pillars of vines curling up from the ground. Rich hues of red, blue, yellow, green, and purple glowed steadily, giving the impression of dazzling jewels brought to life for this one memorable night.

After a moment he realized that the candle vines outlined a walkway with rose petals scattered across the ground to form a beckoning trail. He smiled slightly, unsurprised to note the deep crimson color of the petals. Kurama had admitted to him once in a fanciful moment that roses of that hue were his favorite because they reminded him of the fire demon's eyes.

Hiei started down the path and noticed that as he walked forward, more candle pillars blazed to life ahead of him as leaves previously covering the colored globes fell away to illuminate the trail. A glance behind him confirmed that those he passed slowly dimmed as the leaves crept up to contain the light, having served their purpose. The fire demon returned his gaze to the front and caught his breath. More candles were arranged in a semi-circle in the center of the clearing, and there, bathed in their soft glow, Kurama stood patiently waiting for Hiei to join him.

So beautiful... the familiar thought echoed in Hiei's mind as he ran his eyes over the magnificent silver youko standing proudly before him. When the issue came up concerning what they would wear for the ceremony, Kurama had begged Hiei to wear his phoenix tunic. The fox had been hinting, cajoling, and even attempting to blackmail the smaller demon into wearing the exquisite outfit for quite some time, so Hiei hadn't been too surprised by the request. What *had* astonished him, however, was his sudden desire to accommodate the fox. He had agreed on the condition that he be allowed to pick out what Kurama should wear, and the youko had eagerly agreed.

Hn, I was right. That tunic is perfect for him. The small fire demon had proven to possess an unexpected flair for fashion in designing Kurama's clothes, with their quilt providing inspiration. Since the first moment he had seen Nuriko's gift, he had been fascinated by the imagery of the silver youko surrounded by crimson flames. With that in mind, he had designed a pure white tunic that reached to mid-calf with slits up the sides revealing the matching pants worn underneath. A pattern of crimson flames started at Kurama's left ankle and licked and danced around his body several times to curl beguilingly over his right shoulder. The ensemble was then belted snugly at the youko's waist by a long strip of crimson silk.

The tunic had been lovely when he had placed it on Kurama's bed for the youko to find, but that memory paled in comparison to the image of the youko's silver hair cascading over his shoulders, the garment's neckline dipping low to reveal the smoothly muscled chest beneath. The kitsune's golden eyes glowed in the flickering light of the candles, reflecting the depth of his emotion.

Oh, yes, he had made the right decision admitting his love for this youko, and he looked forward to their future with anticipation.

* * *

Kurama sighed in silent appreciation as he watched his lover approach. It had been almost a year since Hiei had worn the phoenix tunic, and the youko decided that he looked... dangerous. The black of the outfit was relieved only by the bright red of the phoenix pattern. The youkai seemed different tonight, the smooth grace of his movements giving him an almost predatory air. The fire demon looked good...and he knew it.

He shook his head in amazement. What in all his frivolous existence had earned him the love of this magnificent warrior? After a moment's thought he acknowledged that *he* had done nothing. For reasons of his own, the fire demon had chosen to love him, and if he knew Hiei, those reasons would stay private. Yet he didn't need to know *why* the fire demon loved him, it was enough to know that he *did*, and, due to his nature, that love would never die. Never in all his long life had he imagined that one day he would stand in this clearing and pledge his life to another. But it felt right. As if his previous experiences had been preparing him for and leading him to this moment.

Hiei came to a stop before him. Who was this seductive stranger? This creature was not the same vulnerable person who had pledged his love so many months ago. No, that Hiei had disappeared, to be replaced by this more confident and compelling demon, and Kurama marveled at the change. *This* Hiei was more than a match for him, and he shivered at the challenge he read within the fire demon's crimson gaze. This night would be like no other. It marked the beginning of their future together as equals. Kurama sensed that Hiei would no longer allow him to lead their relationship. Decisions and actions would now be shared by both partners. Yet it was no more than what he had expected and had, in fact, longed for.

"You've outdone yourself," Hiei commented, gesturing to their surroundings.

Kurama smiled his appreciation of the compliment. "I hoped you would like it." He paused a moment, then continued, "I've thought a lot about what we should vow to each other, the promises we should make." The youko looked down at the ground. "I attended a Western-style wedding with my mother once where they promised to love and honor each other through sickness and health, for richer or poorer until death did they part. I always thought that sounded nice." He raised his eyes to meet the fire demon's. "But those words were created by other people. They don't begin to describe the depth of feeling that I have for you, so I thought we should just say our own vows and promises."

Hiei nodded in agreement and offered the black lacquer box to Kurama. "I brought these."

Kurama accepted the container and slowly lifted the lid. He had wondered what Hiei would come up with when he had claimed the right to choose their tokens. "Oh, Hiei..." The youko reached inside with one hand and reverently lifted one of the matched necklaces out of the satin-lined case. "It's beautiful," he said, his voice roughened by emotion.

The bright silver links of the necklace had been sized to fit each demon as a choker and designed so that the crystal pendant would rest against the hollow of the wearer's throat. But it was the crystal itself that evoked the most admiration. It was clear with a white frosted design etched onto its surface, echoing the pattern on their quilt--a youko embraced by flames. It was perfect.

"I thought you'd like it." Hiei's smug tone was not lost on Kurama, but the fire demon deserved to gloat. The necklaces were extraordinary.

The youko met his lover's gaze. "Shall we begin?" He had almost expected to see some hesitation in the fire demon's eyes, but instead saw only calm assurance. Keeping the necklace that was obviously sized for the smaller fire demon, he offered the box to Hiei and watched as the youkai picked up the other necklace and placed the box to the side.

Kurama leaned forward and carefully fastened the token around his lover's throat, then leaned down to kiss the pendant, his breath feathering across the fire demon's skin, causing a shiver in reaction. "Let this token I've given represent the love, honor, and devotion that is your right as my bonded. I'll never forsake you, Hiei, and, though circumstances may part us, I will always return to you." With those simple vows said, he knelt at the fire demon's feet.

Hiei reached out and fastened the token around the youko's throat, then lightly brushed the backs of his fingertips down the expanse of chest bared by Kurama's tunic, making the youko's heart beat faster. "Let this token I've given represent the love, honor, and loyalty that is your right as my bonded. I'll never abandon you, Kurama, and I will kill any who dare keep us apart." With his own vows completed, Hiei tipped up the youko's chin and leaned forward to kiss the soft lips.

"I've prepared an area of the clearing so we can spend the night here." Kurama said as the youkai pulled back from the kiss. He rose to his feet and tugged on the fire demon's hand to get him to follow. Then, striding in the opposite direction from where Hiei had entered the clearing, the candles forming the semi-circle slowly extinguished to be replaced by another cluster a few feet ahead.

The new candles flanked the entrance to a bower of tightly woven vines. Kurama ducked inside and pulled Hiei after him. Once inside, however, the youko dropped his hand and turned to watch his lover take in the cozy area he had created. The room was barely large enough to contain the futon spread across the floor, covered by their quilt and a few pillows, and was illuminated by a few candles placed in strategic areas. The entire effect was one of warmth and privacy. The vines Kurama had used to form the walls were woven so tightly together that not even a hint of light would be visible from the outside. With a gesture, Kurama guided more vines to close the entrance and completely seal them inside. The fire demon glanced up at the ceiling and noted that the vines gapped here and there to allow fresh air in as well as glimpses of the silver stars high above them.

"What do you want, Hiei?"

The fire demon let his eyes roam over the tall, handsome youko as he thought about the question. What *did* he want? This night was to be their beginning together, and he wanted it to be memorable. His eyes lingered on the softly-furred ears peeking from Kurama's silver hair, and he recalled another night long ago when he had discovered their secret. There were other secrets to Kurama's body that he longed to explore, places he had never really dared touch and caress as he made love to the youko. Yet this creature now belonged to him and he to Kurama. Nothing was taboo, and suddenly Hiei knew exactly what he wanted. "You," he answered simply.

Kurama's eyes darkened dramatically at the promise within that one word and replied, equally simply, "I'm yours."

The fire demon smiled and walked toward his bonded. With a slight growl, he grabbed a fistful of Kurama's tunic and yanked until the kitsune was bending over him. "Kiss me," he ordered.

The kiss started as the barest brushing of lips and grew into much more. Back and forth their tongues dueled together, both trying to obtain the advantage, until their lungs forced them to draw apart. Soft panting filled the room as the two demons regarded each other in the flickering light.

Hiei released his hold on the tunic and smoothed a hand over the bunched material. "Do you like your outfit?"

Kurama blinked, trying to get his mind to focus on the question despite the stroking hand that was making concentration very difficult. "It's very beautiful. Exactly what I would have chosen."

"I think," Hiei said, stepping back to regard the handsome youko, "I prefer you without it."

Kurama tilted his head to the side. "Do you?" he whispered.

At Hiei's nod, the youko undid the silk belt at his waist and sensuously fingered the material before setting it aside. Then he slowly ran open palms down over his chest, tipping his head back to watch the fire demon through slitted lids. "You have exquisite taste in clothing, Hiei. I've always loved silk." Crossing his arms in front of him, Kurama caught the hem of the tunic and lifted it over his head. The youko's hair glinted in the candlelight, spilling over his shoulders like molten silver. A sigh escaped his lips as he tossed the garment to the side, and his glowing eyes captured Hiei's once more. "There's just something about the feel of it against bare skin," he murmured, lightly stroking his right hand down his left arm from shoulder to wrist, then raising both arms above his head to indulge in a luxurious stretch.

The fire demon wasn't fooled for a moment. His fox was trying to seduce him with his words and actions, unconsciously searching for an advantage, but there was something the youko didn't know. Hiei wasn't going to give it to him. Tonight was his turn, and he would not be distracted.

Kurama smiled at the seeming lack of response from his lover and, keeping his gaze locked on Hiei's face for any change in expression, tucked his fingers inside the waist of his pants and pushed inch by slow inch, prolonging the erotic display until they finally puddled at his feet. Tossing them to the side as well, Kurama stood proudly before the youkai, completely at ease in his nudity, tail swishing idly behind him.

"Do you know how many nights I've dreamed of you wearing that outfit?"

Hiei raised an eyebrow at the question, but remained silent. "Too many nights to count, love. But do you know what I regret?" Kurama closed the distance between them and reached out with one slim finger to trace the phoenix head curving over Hiei's right shoulder. "I wish I had taken the time to appreciate it more when I had the chance."

The silver youko walked slowly around his lover, trailing his fingers up and over Hiei's shoulder to stroke down over the pattern of the phoenix's body guarding the youkai's back. Each feather was an incredible work of embroidery, and Kurama gave each careful attention as he slowly mapped his way across the cloth-covered muscles. A rather smug chuckle escaped the youko's lips as he noted Hiei's involuntary shivering. Moving on in his exploration, Kurama urged Hiei to lean back against his chest as he continued to trace the feathers curling over the youkai's stomach.

The fire demon tilted his head back, eyes closing to better enjoy the sensations, and unconsciously bared his neck. Kurama, waiting for exactly that, nuzzled the side of his face against the fire demon's hair, then delicately licked a path over the satiny expanse of skin, producing a slight shudder. "Mmm, you taste wonderful."

Growing impatient with the cloth barrier, the youko reached up and undid the buttons on the tunic, then brushed the material to the side so that it slid off both shoulders. Using just the very tips of his fingers, Kurama stroked over the quivering muscles of Hiei's stomach and slid his fingers inside the waistband of the youkai's pants. Pausing a moment to explore the washboard abdominals, the youko nibbled lightly on Hiei's shoulder, alternating with delicate lick-kisses, evoking a cascade of goosebumps.

Hiei's lips parted as he drew in a deep breath to calm himself. It would be so easy to relax and give himself up to the youko, but he had other plans for tonight. He couldn't allow himself to become overwhelmed. Not yet, he reminded himself, then gasped as he felt his lover's hands continue their descent and cup his growing arousal. There was something almost unbearably erotic about having his lover completely naked and touching him so intimately while he was still partially clothed. Not *yet*... But the voice was getting weaker.

Then, as if sensing that Hiei couldn't take much more of his teasing, Kurama slid his hands away and tugged the pants down over the youkai's slender hips. The silk of the garment caressed his legs as it whooshed softly to the ground, and he nearly moaned in disappointment when Kurama withdrew from the embrace and allowed the tunic to slide down his arms. The youko walked around to face the now nude fire demon. Kurama cupped his hands on either side of the youkai's face and leaned down to place an almost reverent kiss on his lips. Then, stepping back a few paces, the youko whispered two words: "I'm yours."

Hiei's eyes snapped open. *Now*, his mind whispered exultantly.

End Part 3

[previous] [Tea Time] [next] [Fox and Phoenix page]
© 1998 Jenn