Sushil Atreya has served on dozens of NASA, ESA, JPL, NRC, NAS, US-USSR Joint Programs, COSPAR, IAMAS, etc. committees and working groups, starting in 1975.
National and International Committees and Boards
- NAS-NRC/CAPS, Committee on Astrobiology and Planetary Science, National Academies/National Research Council, 2012-Present
- NAS Committee on Astrobiology Science Strategy for the Search for Life in the Universe, 2017-2018.
- NAS-SSB Search for Life Across Time and Space Conference, Moderator, 2016.
- EGU (European Geosciences Union) Awards Committee for David Bates Medal and Runcorn-Florensky Medal, 2017, 2018.
- JAXA (Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency) Akatsuki Venus Mission Extension Review Panel, 2017.
- NASA Ice Giants Science Definition Team, 2016-2017.
- Visiting Committee Chair, Goddard Space Flight Center, Solar System Exploration Division, 2014
- Visiting Committee, Institut Pierre Simon Laplace des sciences de l'environnement - federation of six national laboratories in climatology and planetology, Paris, France, 2014
- Visiting Committee, Goddard Space Flight Center, Science and Exploration Directorate, 2011
- NASA-HQ Planetary Science Division Facilities Review of Glenn Extreme Environment Rig, 2015
- NASA-HQ Venus Gravity Assist Science Opportunity Panel (VeGASO), 2014-2015
- Scientific Advisory Board, Saturn in the 21st Century Conference and Book, 2014-2016.
- Consultant, "Wildest Weather in the Solar System" Documentary Film
- Scientific Committee, "International Exhibition on the Solar System", ASI/ESA/US Embassy, 2013-Present
- National Academy of Sciences/National Research Council Committee on Assessment of Solar System Exploration (CASSE, Congressionally Mandated), 2007-2008
- NASA/VEXAG Founding Co-Chair, Venus Exploration and Analysis Group 2005-2008
- NASA/OPAG Steering Group, Outer Planets Assessment Group, 2005-2013
- NASA/(MEPAG) Science Advisory Groups:
Mars Strategic Science (MSS-SAG) in the 2010-2020 Decade, 2007-2008, and
Mars Mid Range Rover (MRR-SAG) that recommended Mars Astrobiology Explorer-Cacher (MAX-C) Mission, 2009
- NASA-ESA Cassini-Huygens Atmospheres Working Group, 2000-Present
- President Emeritus, Commission on Planetary Atmospheres and their Evolution, International Association of Meteorology and Atmospheric Sciences. President, 1987- 1995. Executive Secretary, 1983-1987
- Executive Member, Commission on Space Studies of the Upper Atmospheres of the Earth and the Planets, COSPAR/ICSU, Paris, France, 1988-present; Member 1980-1987
- National Research Council Evaluation Panel for Senior and Post Doctoral Research Associateships, 1984; 1985; 1986; 1989
- NASA/Management and Operations Working Group for Planetary Atmospheres, 1984-1989; Co-Chair, 1986-1989
- NASA Committee on Strategy for Planetary Atmospheres Science and Exploration, 1987-1988
- National Academy of Sciences/Space Science Board, Review and Evaluation Panel for the U.S. Contributions to COSPAR/ICSU, 1984
- President, Physics and Mathematics Association in the College, 1963-1965
Professional Society Member; Editorial Board
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (Elected, 2005)
- Academician, International Academy of Astronautics (Elected, 1993)
- American Geophysical Union
- American Astronomical Society/Division of Planetary Sciences
- International Astronomical Union
- President Emeritus, Commission on Planetary Atmospheres and their Evolution, International Association of Meteorology and Atmospheric Sciences; President 1987- 1995, Executive Secretary 1983-1987
- Editor/Guest Editor, Special issues of Planetary and Space Science, on Giant Planets, Satellites and Rings, 2002-Present
- Editorial Board, "Advances in Planetary Sciences" book series, World Scientific Publishing Co., Singapore, 2015-Present
- Associate Editor, MARS, The International Journal of Mars Science and Exploration, 2005-Present
- Associate Editor, Geophysical Research Letters, American Geophysical Union, 1986-1989
- Chair/Program Committee Member, Organizing committees of numerous meetings, scientific sessions and symposia of AAS/DPS, AGU, EPSC, IAU, COSPAR, IUGG/IAMAS, EGU, JpGu, Joint AGU-JpGU, AOGS, and NASA.