Sushil Atreya has served on dozens of NASA, ESA, JPL, NRC, NAS, US-USSR Joint Programs, COSPAR, IAMAS, etc. committees and working groups, starting in 1975.
National and International Committees and Boards
- NAS-NRC/CAPS, Committee on Astrobiology and Planetary Science, National Academies/National Research Council, 2012-2018.
- NAS Committee on Astrobiology Science Strategy for the Search for Life in the Universe, 2017-2018.
- NAS-SSB Search for Life Across Time and Space Conference, Moderator, 2016.
- EGU (European Geosciences Union), Chair, Awards Committee for David Bates Medal and Runcorn-Florensky Medal, 2017-Present.
- ISRO/PRL, Physical Research Laboratory, Indian Department of Space, Decadal Review, 2019.
- JAXA (Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency) Akatsuki Venus Mission Extension Review Panel, 2017.
- NASA Ice Giants Science Definition Team, 2016-2017.
- GSFC, Visiting Committee Chair, Goddard Space Flight Center, Solar System Exploration Division, 2014.
- CNRS-IPSL, Visiting Committee, Institut Pierre Simon Laplace des sciences de l'environnement - federation of six national laboratories in climatology and planetology, Paris, France, 2014.
- GSFC, Visiting Committee, Goddard Space Flight Center, Science and Exploration Directorate, 2011.
- NASA-HQ Planetary Science Division Facilities Review of Glenn Extreme Environment Rig, 2015.
- NASA-HQ Venus Gravity Assist Science Opportunity Panel (VeGASO), 2014-2015.
- Scientific Advisory Board, Saturn in the 21st Century Conference and Book, 2014-2016.
- Consultant, Wildest Weather in the Solar System Documentary Film.
- Scientific Committee, International Exhibition on the Solar System, ASI/ESA/US Embassy, 2013.
- National Academy of Sciences/National Research Council Committee on Assessment of Solar System Exploration (CASSE, Congressionally Mandated), 2007-2008.
- VEXAG Founding Co-Chair, NASA Venus Exploration and Analysis Group 2005-2008.
- OPAG Steering Group, NASA Outer Planets Assessment Group, 2005-2013.
- MEPAG Science Advisory Groups:
Mars Strategic Science (MSS-SAG) in the 2010-2020 Decade, 2007-2008, and
Mars Mid Range Rover (MRR-SAG) that recommended Mars Astrobiology Explorer-Cacher (MAX-C) Mission, 2009.
- IAMAS/CPAE, President, Commission on Planetary Atmospheres and their Evolution, International Association of Meteorology and Atmospheric Sciences, 1987-1995. Executive Secretary, 1983-1987.
Professional Society Member; Editorial Board
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science - AAAS (Elected, 2005)
- Fellow, American Geophysical Union - AGU (Elected, 2021)
- Fellow, Japan Geoscience Union - JpGU (Elected, 2018)
- Full Member, International Academy of Astronautics - IAA (Elected, 1993)
- American Astronomical Society/Division of Planetary Sciences
- International Astronomical Union
- Guest Editor, Special issues of Planetary and Space Science, on Giant Planets, Satellites and Rings, 2002-2018
- Editorial Board, "Advances in Planetary Sciences" book series, World Scientific Publishing Co., Singapore, 2015-2021
- Associate Editor, Geophysical Research Letters, American Geophysical Union, 1986-1989
- Chair/Program Committee Member, Organizing committees of numerous meetings, scientific sessions and symposia of AAS/DPS, AGU, EPSC, IAU, COSPAR, IUGG/IAMAS, EGU, JpGU, Joint AGU-JpGU, AOGS, Mars International Conference, and NASA.