HONORS, AWARDS, FELLOWSHIPS AND SCHOLARSHIPS
- David Bates Medal, European Geosciences Union, awarded for "Exceptional Contributions to Planetary and Solar System Sciences".
- Fellow, AAAS (American Association for the Advancement of Science), Elected for making "Pioneering
contributions to planetary structure, mixing, and gas chemistry throughout the solar system".
- Distinguished Faculty Achievement Award, University of Michigan, for "Outstanding contributions as a teacher, scholar and member of the University community", 2007.
- Distinguished Visiting Scientist, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California, 2006-Present.
- Excellence in Refereeing for Journal of Geophysical Research-Planets, American Geophysical Union, 1998
- Excellence in Research Award, The University of Michigan College of Engineering, 1995
- Professor of the Year Award by Student Meteorological Society, University of Michigan, 1987
- NASA Group Achievement Award for "Exceptional Achievements with MSL SAM Instrument Suite on Mars", 2014
- NASA Group Achievement Awards for "Exceptional Mission Development and Outstanding Contributions to Juno Jupiter Polar Orbiter", 2013
- NASA Group Achievement Awards for "Outstanding Scientific Contributions with Galileo Probe Mass Spectrometer" and "Outstanding Contributions to the Galileo Project" at Jupiter, 1996
- NASA Group Achievement Award for "Outstanding Scientific Contributions with Voyager Ultraviolet Spectrometer"
- Neptune System and Interstellar Medium, 1990
- Uranus System and Interstellar Medium, 1986
- Jupiter and Saturn Systems, 1981
- NASA Award for "Exceptional Scientific Contributions to the Voyager Project", 1981
- University of Michigan
- C.E. Groesbeck Merit Scholarship, 1971
- Institute of Science and Technology Fellowship, 1969
- Yale University
- Josiah Willard Gibbs Fellowship, 1966-1967
- Government of India
- Council of Scientific and Industrial Research Fellowship, 1965
- National Merit Scholarship, 1963-1965
- University of Rajasthan
- Vice Chancellor Chatterji Gold Medal, 1965
- Sir Elliot Colvin Silver Medal, 1963
- Merit Scholarship, 1960-1963