MMS Friends

mali ficos non vendemus.

In which we wax poetic, make glittering generalities, judge and are judged, and all that jazz.

Name:Alison B
Location:Michigan

Alison was born and raised in the seaside city of Port Elizabeth in South Africa. Showing her leadership qualities even in her youth, she was Head Girl of Collegiate High School for Girls in 1985. Alison grew up in Basildon and left school at sixteen largely unqualified. She spent time as a shop worker before embarking on a piano tuning course which she had to abort in the second year as the single, Only You, became a worldwide hit. Alison achieved an international reputation as a banjo player by pushing the instrument out of its familiar Appalachian settings and into new musical territory. Alison became the 1993 recipient of the Dorothea Lange Award in documentary photography for her photographs of child labor in Asia. Since then, she has lived with exiled Tibetans in Nepal and India for over a decade, recording their culture and the challenges which exile has brought.

Monday, January 30, 2006

One-Day Painting

I decided to make an entire painting yesterday (and this post is for yesterday, so I really mean "today" - Hey, maybe I just never yet went to bed). From idea to research to drawing it out to painting it. And I did, in only about 5 or 6 hours. It wast to be a small painting, so I thought the size should reflect the subject. I chose to portray "those having very short reigns." I decided to do the emperor Otho (who ruled for 95 days, after having usurped from Galba, and usurped in turn by Vitellius). Presidents Harding and Garfield had short "reigns" and I decided on Garfield because it was through violence also that he died, having been shot (while Harding died of pneumonia). They're having a picnic in my painting, with clouds of ill-omen and an inauspicious crow flying overhead. I was nice to take a break from having to agonize over how I would in the future justify its existence in words. I just wanted to do it, and did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home