Introduction

Welcome to Purple Heaven!

This is an arena for the women of JDG (what few of us there are) to share our thoughts and observations about the relationships of our male colleagues. Let's face it, ladies: Here we are, surrounded by the Best of the Best that this country (or perhaps even the world) has to offer. Day in and day out, we work alongside the brightest, the strongest, the fastest, and (if I may say so) the most attractive members of the opposite sex we're likely ever to encounter.

Naturally, our thoughts occasionally (okay, ladies, let's be honest--often!) turn to daydreams of Love and Romance...and perhaps a bit more.

The idea for this fanzine arose when we heard about the unfortunate incident that resulted in the ban on romantic relationships between garrison members. The fact that such a ban was prompted by the actions of two male colleagues captured our interest. It quickly became a hot topic of conversation whenever we got together to chat. We began to wonder. If Sakaguchi and Makiyama are a couple...what other men may have paired up?

Takizawa: It's the spice of Forbidden Love!

Yamashita: If you think about it, it's the story of two lovely men for the price of one.

Tsuruta: If I can't have him, he had better be gay.

Takizawa & Yamashita: ...

Tsuruta: That's a joke, of course.

In any case, we speculated endlessly, sharing observations and rumors about various individuals. Soon every glance, every kind word, every pat on the shoulder among the men seemed loaded with meaning.

Eventually we turned our attention to more intimate details of our list of suspects' relationships.

Takizawa: When did feelings of comaraderie first turn into Love? Was it Love at first sight? Who confessed to whom?

Yamashita: Under what circumstances was their first kiss? How and when do they make time to be with each other to express their secret passion?

Tsuruta: Which one's on top?

Takizawa & Yamashita: ...

Tsuruta: Admit it, you were both thinking the same thing. It's all about the smut.

We all had different opinions, of course, and as the number of our hypothesized couples increased, someone suggested that we commit our ideas to paper for the sake of organization (not to mention posterity). Thus Purple Heaven was born.

The development of the 'zine was not without incident, however. In particular, we thought we were done for when our fledgling efforts were noticed by Chief Nishiwaki. Fortunately, after giving it due consideration, he understood that it was all in fun and we had no intention of defaming our colleagues. He gave us permission to proceed, as long as we agreed to stick to some simple guidelines.

With this in mind, we hereby present to you Purple Heaven, in which all your wildest (slashy) fantasies may come true. We hope you enjoy it in the spirit in which it is intended. If you feel you would be uncomfortable reading about romantic relationships between men, please stop now.

If, on the other hand, you enjoy what you read, we appreciate your patronage!