There Comes a Child

Book II, Part Four


Arriving at the dojo, Kurama was greeted by his dainty sister-in-law. "Ohayou gozaimasu, Kurama-san."

"Ohayou, Yukina-san," the redhead returned. Now that he was here, Kurama found himself reluctant to bring up the reason for his visit. It seemed wrong to ask this utterly feminine creature some of the questions he had, and he *really* didn't want to have their conversation overheard by the very observant Genkai.

Sensing his discomfiture, Yukina spoke up, "Have you eaten?" At his nod, she suggested, "Then why don't we walk in the garden?"

Happy with that idea, the redhead fell in step beside the diminutive ice demoness as they began to stroll through the elaborate layout. Trying to make casual conversation, Kurama looked around and asked, "Does Genkai maintain all of this?"

Yukina smiled gently. "She's much too busy with training."

"Of course. Then, do you...?"

Her laughter interrupted his question, the sound a beautiful tinkling of crystals. "I'm afraid that my nature prevents me from caring for these delicate plants. But Genkai-san has been generous and built a special structure behind the dojo where I can practice my ice sculptures." She peeked up at her companion and noticed that his mind was obviously not on their conversation. "Kurama-san, do you have something that you want to ask me?"

The question startled him out of his inner contemplation, "Ha...hai, Yukina-san," he stuttered. Sighing at his obvious nervousness, he rolled his eyes and shared a smile with the ice demoness. Spying a bench off to one side, the youko gestured for them to sit down.

"I'm sure you know why I'm here. I have several questions about Hiei and I having a child."

Yukina frowned in puzzlement. "But didn't my brother explain things to you?"

Kurama's cheeks flushed. "Umm, well, he was a little preoccupied at the time."

Her "Ah" held a wealth of understanding, and the fox prayed his face wouldn't ignite. Ordinarily he wouldn't have been embarrassed in the least, but this was Hiei's innocent little sister. Of course, Yukina *had* displayed a wicked sense of humor with her gift of the crimson satin sheets. Apparently the dainty youkai had more depth to her than one would assume upon first glance.

With speculation in his eyes, he looked at her sweetly smiling face. "How did you find out that this was even possible?"

"Koorime have always been able to draw upon the strength of others through our vampiric traditions, and I wanted to do some research on the subject, so I asked Botan if I could use the Reikai library. During my search I stumbled across a book theorizing that if two demons shared enough of their ki, they could create a separate entity with its own soul. Since both Kazuma-san and I have healing powers, and he has already exhibited an amazing talent for versatility..." She paused to smile proudly. "We started experimenting with calling up our ki to see if we could merge our energy."

At Kurama's raised eyebrow, she put a hand on his arm. "Oh, not to make a *baby*, though. After all, we aren't even married, yet." The youko was gratified that even his sister-in-law could become embarrassed as he admired the pretty flush staining her cheeks.

Seeing his amusement, she cleared her throat and continued. "It wasn't until Kazuma-san got very frustrated that nothing we did was working that something began to happen. We realized that strong emotion was the key to unleashing an individual's unconscious shielding of his energy. Despite our skill, we hadn't been able to prevent what was essentially an instinctive reaction."

"So *any* strong emotion can trigger the transfer of ki?" Kurama clarified. "Even if it's negative like anger or frustration?"

"Oh, yes. All it takes is something to disturb your control, and then the transfer is possible. Of course, it would be natural between lovers to use passion as the key."

"Then why is it necessary for Hiei to take blood?"

Her eyes sparkled as she grew more enthusiastic about her explanation. "That is a result of his Koorime heritage, which is actually a benefit since it ensures that your child will have physical characteristics from both of you."

He closed his eyes for a moment as he tried to absorb it all. "You don't know what this means to me. To *us*."

"But I do." Her soft interjection surprised him. She continued at his obvious puzzlement. "Didn't Oniisan tell you that he came to me yesterday?" When his expression didn't change, Yukina paused, obviously weighing her words. "He wanted to know if he should give his permission to allow you to mate with another."

Kurama winced and turned his head away. He didn't want to see the accusation on his sister-in-law's face. It was bad enough that Hiei's pain-filled words would haunt his dreams, he didn't need her to add to his guilt. A gentle hand covering his clenched fist brought his gaze back to meet hers, and he marveled at how similar her eyes were to Hiei's, right down to the love that gave them a special glow. Love? But, yes, that was the only word that fit the emotion filling her eyes.

"I know your request wasn't made lightly, and I know *why* you made it." The ice demoness used both her hands to uncurl his fingers and clasp them lightly. "You love Hiei very much, don't you?"

He swallowed the lump in his throat and whispered hoarsely, "There aren't enough words to express it."

She smiled brightly and patted his hand. "I thought so. Well! Do you have any other questions for me?"

"Actually, yes. I was wondering how long the process will take."

"It should take about a month or so, because Hiei will have to be very careful when he feeds and only draw a small amount of blood and energy at one time. That way it won't cause any long-term side effects for you."

"What kind of side effects should I expect?"

"Let's see," she nibbled on her lip for a minute. "You should be incredibly exhausted after the exchange and, if you sleep immediately, you will wake up ravenous. Hiei's behavior might also change the longer that he feeds from you, and he will probably act more and more possessive." Noting her companion's interested look, she went on, "Hiei is actually tasting your essence through your blood, and that can be rather intoxicating, especially since you are a very strong demon yourself. Of course, this will only strengthen his bond to you, but he might become possessive and territorial around other people."

Now, there's an image. Hiei acting possessive in front of an audience. The fire demon found it very hard to express *anything* other than anger or indifference in front of anyone except his bonded.

The youko glanced down at his watch and blinked in surprise. They had been talking for several hours, and he needed to leave now if he was going to catch his train. They walked toward the dojo together, and he ventured tentatively, "Maybe I can visit again soon and see your ice sculptures?"

Yukina's face glowed with her pleased smile, and she nodded graciously.

Beginning to walk toward the long flight of stairs descending to the street below, Kurama turned and regarded his amazing sister-in-law for a moment, then bowed low murmuring, "Doumo arigatou gozaimasu, Yukina-san."

"Dou itashimashite, *Oniisan*," she replied, bowing in return.

* * *

Somewhat absorbed in trying to decipher what Shiori meant by labeling one of the packages in their freezer "Casserole," Hiei suddenly found himself heading toward the door to the apartment and leaving the freezer to swing shut on its own without fully understanding why, until he turned the corner of the hallway and saw Kurama bent over, untying his shoes. The fire demon watched silently, puzzled at his instinctive behavior. He must have been aware of the redhead's arrival on some subconscious level, since the youko hadn't made any sound that he could remember actually hearing.

He smirked as Kurama swore softly under his breath and used a hand to push the long hair out of his eyes to spill over one shoulder, then resumed his task. Time froze, and Hiei's pupils widened as he focused on the sight of the creamy, white neck his lover had just revealed. The fire demon licked his lips and drew a deep breath, trying to subdue his response to the unsuspecting youko.

Kurama sighed as he stood up and finished kicking off his shoes. One minute he was savoring the idea of making a hot cup of tea, and the next he found himself pressed up against the door with Hiei's lips covering his own.

Surprise didn't begin to cover what the kitsune was feeling at that moment, although it was certainly mixed in there. Arousal and pleasure also battled to be recognized during the intense kiss that greeted the redhead's return.

Hiei couldn't understand why he was drawn so strongly to the fox, but he was too preoccupied to analyze it. Pulling back to angle his head a different way, the fire demon licked at the youko's lips, treating them like pieces of a ripe, juicy fruit. He suddenly wanted to taste his lover everywhere and was impatient with the clothes that hindered his goal. Sensuously tunneling into the redhead's hair, he began to knead lightly with his fingers, evoking a moan of appreciation from the fox while he ravaged Kurama's beckoning lips.

Over and over their tongues danced and dueled until Kurama was forced to pull away and draw air into his starving lungs. The motion bared his neck to the smaller demon's eager attention, however, and soon the youko was gasping from the sensation of fangs grazing his neck, searching for the pulse beating like a siren's call.

Reluctantly leaving the tempting area for the time being, Hiei began nuzzling down the youko's chest, searching for sensitive nipples through the thin tee-shirt disguising their presence. With Kurama's moans of delight echoing in his ear, Hiei nibbled on first one, and then the other, until he grew too impatient with the barrier and lifted it out of the way with his hands. The first swipe of Hiei's tongue on the kitsune's sensitive belly drew a surprised gasp from Kurama as he buried his hand in the fire demon's thick, dark hair, unconsciously urging the fire demon to continue his exploration.

The sensation of a tongue flicking against his navel proved too much for Kurama. "Ahh, Hiei, *please*!" What the "please" meant was none too clear, even to the fox, but Hiei took it as his cue to return to his lover's sexy neck and finally take what he had been unknowingly craving all day. The hot, sweet blood of his bonded.

The brief taste from the night before hadn't been nearly enough, and he realized that Yukina's words of warning were too important to ignore. "When you feel that you have only begun to quench your thirst, *that* is the time to stop." It would be difficult to ignore the impulse to take more than the meager mouthfuls that he allowed himself, but the result would be to lose Kurama entirely, and that was not a possibility. Hiei had no doubt that his love for the fox was far greater than any momentary hunger brought on by his Koorime heritage.

Kurama felt his knees giving way and slid down the door until he was kneeling on the floor with Hiei straddling his lap. The youko shivered at the constant, low growling emanating from his lover's throat as he fed, noticing that the smaller demon's fingers were tracing delicate patterns on the vulnerable nape of his neck. The sensations were like nothing he had ever experienced before, and the knowledge that this act was giving his lover immense pleasure while he carefully took only what he needed for the moment to create their child filled the youko with so many emotions. Pride, lust, and satisfaction swirled within the redhead, called by the fire demon's ki to do their part in seducing Kurama's energy to the surface so that Hiei could absorb a measure of that as well.

The effect proved inevitable for the overwhelmed kitsune, and he wrapped his arms tightly around his lover, seeking an anchor in the explosion of energy that followed. With his neck released by the replete youkai, Kurama buried his face in the curve of Hiei's own neck and smiled tiredly. He could grow very used to this new, intimate joining.

Once the first blinding glow of the transfer had time to fade, the fire demon's awareness returned, and he noted Kurama's breathing rate had slowed and deepened--a good indication that he would fall asleep if Hiei didn't get his lover moving. Yukina had mentioned that it was important to get Kurama to eat before he slept so that his body could use the fuel to balance his ki while he rested.

"Come on, fox, you need to eat something." Hiei used his strong hands to smooth up and down the kitsune's back. When all his words received was a languid lick on his throat and a snuggle closer, the fire demon realized that Kurama was probably going to be difficult. Not much could prompt his fox to move once he was warm and comfortable.

Hmm, now there was a thought. "I have the futon all rolled out, and the blankets are nice and warm," the youkai tempted, smiling when this time the youko pulled back to stare up at him. Drooping lids did nothing to disguise the pleasure and satisfaction shining in the brilliant green eyes.

"You going to cook?" Kurama asked, somewhat amused. Hiei *cooking*?!

The fire demon narrowed his eyes in mock anger. "How much experience do you think it takes to heat up one of your mother's dinners?"

Looking sheepish, the redhead urged Hiei's head down with his hands to press a kiss on the swollen lips. "Gomen ne, love. I forgot how resourceful you are." Kurama wasn't really worried that he had offended the fire demon. After all, they both knew that domesticity was not among Hiei's many talents, and besides, the laughter lurking in the crimson eyes revealed the youkai's developing talent for teasing his fox. Hmm, I must be rubbing off on you.

Ten minutes later, after a quick shower, Hiei tucked the fox into bed with the admonition to "keep your wet hair off *my* pillow" and went into the kitchen to throw one of the many freezer packages into the microwave.

Lightly dozing, Kurama blinked his eyes open as his stomach grumbled at the enticing smells filling the room. Noticing that the tray held only one portion, however, he looked questioningly at Hiei. "I've already eaten," the fire demon confirmed as he placed the tray over the redhead's lap. The youkai went behind Kurama and lifted him up as he folded his legs around the kitsune and provided an impromptu back rest.

Relaxing with a sigh, the redhead began to eat the meal, accompanied by Hiei's gentle nuzzling of his hair and neck. This was a side of the youkai that Kurama hadn't ever really experienced before. Usually Hiei was content to allow the youko to make all of the affectionate gestures outside of their lovemaking, and he was surprised to realize that he had been waiting for the fire demon to make them, too. Perhaps it was Hiei's new role in their relationship that freed him to try new things. Whatever the reason, however, Kurama intended to enjoy the pampering for as long as it lasted.

* * *

Not knowing exactly what it was that woke him, Kurama opened his eyes to the gentle glow of candlelight. Small sounds from the kitchen provided a hint to Hiei's location, and a quick glance at the clock told him that only a few hours had passed since he had first fallen asleep.

Soft footsteps made him look toward the door as Hiei strolled in carrying a bowl and wearing a simple robe. Spotting the curious gaze following his movements, the fire demon said, "Good, you're awake. Your mother made us something sweet."

Since anything with sugar in it would win Hiei's favor, and Kurama didn't have that big of a sweet tooth, the redhead surmised that Shiori had made it with her son-in-law in mind. Ah, Hiei, do you know how much the people in your life love you?

"Oh?" the fox said out loud. "What is it?"

Hiei frowned slightly. "I don't know, she didn't label it." Which was, of course, the only way that the youkai could identify the many dishes that Shiori made for them, since he had no previous experience with ningen recipes before his relationship with Kurama had developed.

Dropping down to sit on the bed, Hiei offered the bowl to the fox. Sticking a finger in, due to the noticeable lack of any spoons (the fire demon not being one to dwell on the small things), Kurama licked the dark substance away and sighed his appreciation. "It's chocolate mousse, Hiei." Shiori had gone to a French restaurant with her new husband once and tried the exotic dessert. Having fallen in love with the rich, fluffy dish, she was determined to find the recipe. Apparently she had.

When Hiei continued to frown down at the container, Kurama mischievously dipped a finger in and wiped the stuff on the youkai's full lips. Wearing an "I can't believe you just did that" look on his face, the fire demon carefully licked it off.

Reacting to another fingerful of the dessert heading his way, Hiei captured Kurama's wrist and scanned the laughter-filled eyes of his lover. His expression of outrage faded, to be replaced by an inscrutable look. The youkai tugged Kurama's hand toward him until the chocolate-covered digit disappeared into his warm mouth. The fire demon used his tongue to stroke over it, washing every last bit of the dessert away. He slowly pulled his head back until his mouth enveloped only the very tip of the youko's finger as he nibbled gently.

Kurama's gaze was helplessly locked on the movements of his lover's mouth and, when his hand was finally released, he looked up into burning ruby eyes. "I like it," Hiei declared.

The youko swallowed hard and summoned a husky whisper. "Good."

The fire demon set the bowl to the side, dragged the comforter out of the way, and dipped a fingertip into the mixture. Correctly reading his lover's intent, Kurama relaxed back against the pillows and waited for Hiei's next move.

Painting each nipple with a chocolaty dollop, the youkai leaned down and lazily swiped the substance away again with his tongue, causing Kurama to arch his back toward the source of his torment. Pausing to glance at the pajama bottoms covering the redhead's lower body, Hiei shook his head. "Those have to go."

"Want to take them off for me?" the youko asked provocatively.

Hiei's eyes darkened as he thought about his lover's question. The fox even helpfully lifted his hips for the fire demon as he quickly stripped the garment from his body. Kneeling between Kurama's legs, he pulled them up so that the fox was lying with knees bent, feet flat on the floor, then pushed out gently at the knees until the youko was vulnerably displayed before him.

"Much better," the youkai commented as he stared into Kurama's wide eyes. Reaching for the bowl once more, Hiei immersed his finger into it and carefully drew a line from knee to groin on the silky skin of the kitsune's inner thighs. Looking up, he captured Kurama's gaze as he licked his own finger clean.

It was incredibly erotic to lie there so exposed to his lover while he remained primly covered. Breathing increasing slightly with his excitement, the youko avidly followed every lithe movement of that talented tongue. He wanted it on his body, wanted the wet slide of it as Hiei worked his way toward Kurama's obvious arousal. Kurama lifted his arms to curve above his head, adding to the illusion that he was completely at the youkai's mercy.

Finally, Hiei bent his head and began his task of bathing the youko. Using long, slow strokes, the demon switched from side to side to ensure that his progress toward Kurama's straining sex remained equal. An inadvertent moan escaped the kitsune's throat at the amazing pleasure he was receiving. Pushing the dessert bowl to the side as his interest was diverted, the youkai encouraged the long legs to fall open even wider as he ran his palms over the same path his tongue had just traced. Then, avoiding the fox's arousal completely, he trailed his fingertips over Kurama's sensitive scrotum, eliciting a surprised gasp. Continuing on, he filled his hands with the lush curves of his lover's buttocks, gently kneading the muscular expanse. Turning his head, Hiei bit softly into Kurama's thigh, eyes intent on the pleasure-filled face of his fox.

The youko's eyes were closed, allowing him to focus on every stroke and caress. His breathing was deep and shuddering, and his hands tightly gripped the pillow. Hiei's voice seemed to come from a great distance as he growled, "What do you need, fox?" But Kurama was beyond words now, and he could only arch his back, trying to feel more of his lover.

The fire demon's lips curved slightly and lids lowered over burning crimson eyes as he recognized the youko's inarticulate state. Once more Hiei ran his tongue down until he rested his cheek on the redhead's muscular abdomen. A glistening drop of semen spilled from the blood-engorged tip down the hardened flesh and Hiei reached out with his tongue to lick it away, savoring the contrast of the salty taste with the sweetness of the dessert.

That anticipated touch pulled a loud groan from the fox, and his hips lifted helplessly as he sought more of the incredible contact. Fortunately for him, that one taste hadn't satisfied the youkai, and he soon began licking over and around the tip of Kurama's penis. Beginning to establish a rhythm, the youko's hips rose and fell in time with Hiei's hot, wet mouth, and a choked groan worked its way up the kitsune's throat. The unexpected feeling of the youkai's finger caressing the entrance to his body proved to be too much, and the redhead screamed loudly as he came.

Allowing the spent organ to slip from his mouth, Hiei tore open the sash to his robe and spread it out to either side as he guided Kurama's legs to straighten and then lay down on top of him. Filling his hands with the youko's hair, he began passionately kissing him. It wasn't long before the redhead's senses returned, and he lowered his arms to allow him to reach under Hiei's robe to the naked flesh beneath.

The two demons exchanged kisses, mouths practically devouring in their consuming need to taste the other. Kurama ran his hands over the bare skin of Hiei's back, enjoying the shudders his actions produced. Then, trapping Hiei's arousal between his thighs, Kurama gripped the fire demon's rear and began to urge his lover into stroking himself between them. Slowly, and then with more force, the youko led Hiei's desperate thrusts until sweat glistened on their bodies.

Using one of Hiei's own successful seduction techniques, the youko parted his lover's buttocks with his hands and trailed a fingertip down the shadowy cleft until he found what he was searching for. Due to the youkai's aroused state, the puckered muscle needed no coaxing before smoothly allowing his entrance. Using the fire demon's arching thrusts, Kurama sought that intensely erotic place until finally he found it and brought his lover to a stunning climax.

Cradling Hiei to him, the fox turned them over onto their sides and slipped the robe from his shoulders. Reaching down, he tugged the comforter up to cover them, then kissed Hiei lingeringly as he hooked his leg around the fire demon. "If this is the kind of night we can expect for the next month," he began, then paused to yawn. "I think I'd better start taking naps."

Hiei's snort was his only answer, however, and they soon drifted off to sleep wrapped up in each other's arms.

End Part 4

[previous] [next] [Fox and Phoenix page]
© 1998 Jenn