There Comes a Child

Book II, Part Three


Kurama sighed and leaned his forehead against the door to their apartment. His class had passed slowly as he fought down intense feelings of frustration and regret. He shouldn't be listening to yet another lecture. He should be home in case Hiei came back. *If* he came back. Yet, once the class was dismissed, he couldn't bring himself to go straight home to what was probably an empty apartment.

It wasn't that he believed the youkai would leave him forever over a few painful words, not after they had irrevocably bound their spirits. However, the smaller demon had never concealed his distaste for living in the Ningenkai; this might be the perfect excuse for him to return to the world of his birth until his lifemate chose to rejoin him.

Kurama drew a deep breath and rolled his shoulders, trying to ease the knot of tension. Should he go inside? And if Hiei *weren't* there, what would he do?

A door opening down the hall and the curious gaze of a neighbor decided the issue for him. No sense in making a spectacle of himself. Hiei had done that for both of them the few times that he had actually used the conventional method of entering and exiting their apartment.

The redhead found a smile curving his lips as he remembered Hazumi-san's shocked face when the old man had opened his door late one night to see Kurama half-supporting, half-carrying an obviously drunk roommate down the hall. A roommate who seemed intent on singing every verse of the most atrocious song that he *had* to have learned from Yuusuke and Kuwabara. In a deep, penetrating bass. At the top of his lungs.

An involuntary snort escaped Kurama at the memory. They'd never be able to go back to that particular bar again.

Quickly using his key and slipping inside the apartment, Kurama leaned back against the secured door. Another sigh escaped, this one in relief at finally reaching the sanctuary of a place where he could discard his mask and act as depressed as he felt. No more being Shuuichi the perfect student. Not tonight.

Once finished toeing off his shoes, the redhead stumbled down the hall to the kitchen. He didn't really feel like eating, but maybe a cup of tea would settle his stomach. A slight noise from the direction of the bedroom made him change course, and he tiptoed over to the open door, all the while telling himself that Hiei was probably only packing his things to leave.

The sight that greeted him wrung a strangled moan from a suddenly tight throat.

The fire demon had been busy all right, but not in the way for which Kurama had been preparing himself. Instead of removing all traces of his existence from their room, Hiei had been making other arrangements.

Their room had always been simple. A dresser in one corner and a desk for Kurama's studies in another, with a bookshelf along one wall and a wide window adjacent to it. There wasn't really space for anything else, nor was there a need. Their bedding, a thick, comfortable futon, was stored in the closet during the day, giving the room a feeling of openness. Tonight, however, the place was unrecognizable.

Hiei had covered the furniture with several black sheets, then set a small candle on top to provide a gentle spill of light. The effect was one of shadows and light, disguising the mundane aspects of their bedroom. The most surprising change, however, wasn't their futon spread out on the floor with their silk quilt across it, or even the four candle stands at the corners, each with a single, burning taper. No, the surprising detail was that the quilt had been pulled back to display crimson, satin sheets.

Kurama blinked. Those are new.

A low voice came out of the shadows near the closet. "It's about time, fox."

The redhead jumped, his absorption in the details of the room so complete that he hadn't noticed Hiei's presence. His human eyes unable to penetrate the darkness that cloaked the fire demon, Kurama returned his gaze to their bed. "Have you been waiting long?" he managed to ask, his voice husky. What did his fire demon intend for him? Was this a test of Kurama's resolve to have a child? Would Hiei try to seduce him into forgetting about his request? Or was he showing him what he could no longer have if he persisted with his plan?

The youkai shifted slightly, clothes rustling. "Your class ended an hour ago." The unspoken question, 'What have you been doing since?' hovered in the air between them.

Kurama winced at the heavy, meaningful silence. "I had to do some thinking." ...And I didn't think you would be here.

"Have you reconsidered having a child?" Hiei asked in a neutral voice, revealing nothing of his feelings.

Kurama shook his head slowly. "Only if it meant that I would lose you. *Nothing* is worth that."

The fire demon grunted slightly, acknowledging the effort that admission had cost the youko. "I stopped by to see my sister today."

The seemingly unrelated statement confused Kurama, but he decided to follow the youkai's lead and remained quiet, awaiting more information.

"We had an interesting talk," Hiei continued. "She had some suggestions to solve your problem."

Beginning to have an awful suspicion of just what the fire demon was leading up to, Kurama schooled his expression to a careful blankness.

"She thinks it's wonderful that you want to have a child." Hiei snorted, but then added, almost fondly, "She's going to be a great mother."

Kurama's eyes widened as he thought, somewhat hysterically, He can't mean that Yukina would volunteer...

"Did you know that when two youkai pool their energy together, they can create another being?" Hiei asked suddenly.

Mind still racing with horrified images of a never before imagined relationship with the fire demon's sister, Kurama blinked in surprise and whispered, "Nani?"

"Yukina says that all youkai have the ability to reproduce non-sexually, but are usually too selfish to surrender to another the necessary power and time to do it."

The redhead collapsed against the door frame, very much relieved to realize that Hiei had never meant to imply that Yukina would...that he and she should... Then what was the fire demon trying to tell him? "Do you mean that demons can procreate just by sharing their youki?"

Hiei smirked at the incredulous tone of the question and conveniently forgot his own rather vocal disbelief of his sister's information. He tried another tack. "It's like when you use your ki to grow plants."

The puzzled look remained, and Hiei rolled his eyes. "Look, ask Yukina, okay?"

Kurama nodded. "So..." The information led to an inescapable conclusion. "Who would be the one to store the energy, and who would be the one to give it?"

Hiei strode into the candlelight, revealing his outfit for the first time, and the youko stepped forward involuntarily. Tearing his eyes from the lithe, muscular body clothed in the silk phoenix tunic standing before him, Kurama lifted his gaze to meet Hiei's.

Slowly and deliberately, Hiei parted his lips, curving them to reveal the sharp, white fangs beneath. Kurama gulped at the sight of a small pink tongue darting out to moisten the lower lip. "Guess," Hiei growled.

"Well, I suppose it's only logical," Kurama allowed. "After all, you are used to controlling the Kokuryuuha..." The youko moved closer, slowly regaining his lost poise. He reached out to finger the collar of Hiei's tunic. He said he'd only wear it when he felt the occasion was worth it. The fire demon maintained their intense eye contact as he tilted his head down to rub his cheek against the youko's caressing fingers. But why now?

"Hiei..." The youkai raised an eyebrow, waiting for the redhead to continue his thought. "Why have you changed your mind about having a child?"

The fire demon reached out and tugged Kurama's shirt free of his slacks. Wearing his 'I can't believe you asked me such a stupid question' look, he began to undo the buttons. "Because, *bonded*," he emphasized the second word through tight lips, "you are mine, and I will *not* share my soul with another creature. Not even for one night." Hiei punctuated the last sentence by pulling the garment roughly down Kurama's arms. Yet the effect was somewhat lessened, since he had forgotten to unbutton the cuffs. Again.

Unable to repress a chuckle, the redhead winced as his lover finished the job by simply applying more force, accompanied by irate mutterings and the muted 'ping' of two buttons hitting the floor. That made what, the third shirt? He'd have to explain to Hiei sometime how much he hated sewing them back on.

The fire demon reached out and grasped each of the wrists, bringing them to his mouth. His tongue stroked an apology across the reddened areas. Feeling himself react to such a simple caress, the youko struggled to concentrate on the conversation. "You know I wouldn't have pushed you if you really didn't want the child."

Hiei nibbled lightly at the pulse fluttering beneath his lips, then paused to check on how his lover was responding, noting Kurama's glazed expression. "It was something *you* wanted, and now that I know *I* can be the one to give it to you, I don't mind."

The redhead smiled. "You'll be a wonderful father, Hiei."

The fire demon, knowing no such thing, just shrugged, content to allow the youko his beliefs. There were more important matters on his mind. Bending once more, Hiei nuzzled up Kurama's forearm until he was licking the satin-soft skin at the bend of the redhead's elbow.

The youko moaned slightly in his throat, "Hiei, I need..." Kurama drew in a shuddering breath. "I need to sit down."

The youkai stepped back and watched silently as the other demon quickly shimmied out of his slacks. Kurama reached out his hand and, grasping it in his own strong grip, Hiei walked backward until they were standing on the futon.

The redhead slipped his hand free, dropped to his knees, and stroked an exploring hand over the sheets. "Hiei, these are..." pausing to think of just how to end his sentence, Kurama continued, "*very* nice." He sat back on his heels and looked up at the youkai curiously. "Where did you get them?"

For the first time that evening, the fire demon seemed less than completely confident. "They're a gift from Yukina," he muttered.

The youko's eyebrows shot toward his hairline. Innocent little Yukina had given them *these*? He smirked a little. Hmm, lucky Kuwabara...

Trying to regain the mood, Kurama wiped all traces of his amusement from his face and allowed brilliant, green eyes to reflect his desire. Keeping his gaze steady, he ran his fingers up Hiei's inner leg until he was lightly caressing just behind the smaller demon's knee. The other hand followed a similar trail up the outside of the fire demon's leg as Kurama rose up as far as his kneeling position would allow and began exploring Hiei's muscular flank through the thin silk.

The youkai growled softly and steadied himself by gripping Kurama's shoulders. He could feel the youko's eager passion rising with each touch of his lover's body. That flood of emotion would be the key to their ultimate goal tonight.

Growing impatient, Kurama leaned his forehead against Hiei's chest and slipped his right hand higher to stroke over the sensitive inner thigh. Then, wickedly prolonging the suspense, he tiptoed his fingers up until he was lightly rubbing against the proof of the youkai's own passion.

The growling was almost constant now, and Hiei was barely aware that he was doing it. If he weren't careful, Kurama would seduce him into forgetting what he needed to do. Choosing a good offense to distract the sexy youko, Hiei pushed his lover onto his back, none too gently.

Stunned by the gesture, Kurama blinked up at the youkai and swallowed convulsively at what he saw. Hiei's eyes were burning red, and his lips were drawn back from his fangs, creating an almost snarling effect. The youko felt consumed under his lover's regard and fought down an apprehensive shiver. If he didn't know better, he'd say that the fire demon was looking at him like he was dinner. "Hiei?" he inquired huskily.

A blur of motion later, the now nude youkai was straddling Kurama's hips and holding the youko's wrists above silky red hair spread over the camouflaging sheets. Lids covering the fierce ruby eyes, Hiei nuzzled his mouth and nose over the youko's face. Then, slipping to one side of his lover's head, the fire demon buried his face in the curve of Kurama's neck and shoulder.

Kurama shivered again, this time in helpless delight, as he felt Hiei inhale his scent deeply into his lungs. The youko started as he felt a questing tongue reach out and lick across his skin. It suddenly occurred to him to wonder exactly how they were going to make the transfer of energy.

Hiei found the pulse throbbing under his tongue very compelling. Yukina had told him the basic facts behind Koorime instincts that had remained dormant within him for so long, but would be awakened with his new role as sexual predator. She had told him that he would be driven to taste his lover's blood, but Hiei was beginning to think that she had left out a few details. His sister hadn't mentioned the nearly overpowering desire to absorb Kurama into himself. He could feel the youko's warm hands stroking up and down his naked back, urging him on, and he undulated against his lover's lower body, giving him a little of the contact the redhead craved.

Snaking his fingers through Kurama's hair, Hiei gripped it and forced the youko to tilt his head back, baring his neck further for Hiei's investigation of the other side. The youkai called up his own ki and sent it out to meet Kurama's. Yukina had assured him that with Kurama wrapped up in the sensations his body was experiencing and his mind concentrating on melding his ki with Hiei's, he would never notice the slight pain of the youkai's fangs piercing his neck and drinking a small measure of his blood.

The fire demon already had the ability to absorb energy due to his experience and training with the Kokuryuuha, but the intimacy of their goal also called on one of his natural instincts as a Koorime. The melding of their energies would begin the process, but the absorption of Kurama's blood would finish it.

The difficult part, however, would be for Hiei to know when to stop after drinking a sufficient amount.

The taste of Kurama's blood exploded within the fire demon's mouth, and he realized with no small amount of surprise that he could also taste the emotion that colored their mating. Desire, urgency, and love flowed through the exchange, and he experienced each one as a separate flavor on his tongue.

Suddenly, Kurama arched under the youkai, gasping at the inevitable overload their shared energy created. His body collapsed back against the crimson sheets, chest heaving.

The incredible rush of energy flowing into him forced Hiei to break the connection to his lover's neck. The youkai reared back, eyes clenched shut at the sensations filling him. Like a rubber band that has been stretched tight in opposite directions and then released at one end, the built up energy snapped and was absorbed solely by the fire demon. Only his past considerable experience in dealing with excessive amounts of youki allowed Hiei to harness the flood and contain it. A few moments later, awareness returned, and he looked down at the exhausted youko beneath him.

Kurama blinked a few times, willing his eyes to focus on his lover. Slowly Hiei's image sharpened, and he ran a hand over the sweat-slick chest before him. Fingers lingered over Hiei's racing heart and measured the thundering beat. Finally reading the concern in Hiei's eyes, Kurama frowned in puzzlement. "What's wrong, love?"

"Daijoubu?"

Puzzled, the redhead nodded. "Yes, I'm fine. Why?"

In answer, the youkai reached out and drew his fingertips over the area on Kurama's neck where he had fed.

Making the connection between Hiei's action and the slight red staining the fire demon's lips, the youko grinned tiredly. "I *thought* those fangs were for more than appearances." When his words failed to get an answering smile, Kurama sobered and stared deeply into ruby eyes. "Daijoubu," he said simply.

Hiei watched his fox lose the battle to remain awake as lashes came to rest on flushed cheeks. The fire demon leaned down to kiss the soft lips, then extinguished the candles and drew the top sheet and quilt around them. He gathered the youko into his arms and closed his own eyes, allowing his contentment to fill him as mind, heart, and soul whispered one last word before sleep claimed him, "...Mine."

* * *

Kurama stretched slowly and languorously as drowsy green eyes blinked open and stared at the ceiling. He'd known the moment he woke up that Hiei wasn't beside him. After all, it wasn't easy to ignore the fire demon's presence in bed due to the heat that constantly radiated off of him. The kitsune smiled. My own little portable heater. The youkai's excess heat came in quite handy during the winter, and their utility bills were always very low. Not that he ever bothered to mention it to Hiei, since the fire demon could probably care less. Still, Kurama glanced over at their bedroom window, at least he remembered to shut it this time when he left.

The youko relaxed back against the pillows and allowed his thoughts to drift over last night's events. Quite simply, it had been incredible. Kurama had never imagined that an exchange of power could have the unexpected sensual side effect that the two lovers had experienced. Hmm, Hiei never mentioned *that*. Of course, the demon hadn't really explained much of anything. He'd been too intent on actually getting on with things to worry about such little details.

I guess I need to make a visit to Yukina-san, the youko mused as he sat up, allowing the quilt to fall away from his bare chest. Muscles rippled as he heaved himself to his feet and indulged in another stretch, eyes scrunched tight in pleasure. Sighing in regret at leaving the warm nest of blankets, Kurama shivered at the chill in the room and padded over to the bathroom where he quickly completed his morning routine.

Once dressed, the redhead stood contemplating the contents of the refrigerator before settling on a quick bowl of ramen noodles. His mother would be appalled at the way her son was eating, but the meal *was* quick and he didn't want to spend the necessary time preparing something for just himself. He reached for the kettle and realized that Hiei had made the youko some green tea. Glancing over at the table, Kurama grinned to see the expected sugar bowl. The fire demon kept insisting that tea wasn't drinkable without at least five heaping spoons of sugar mixed in. It still amazed the youkai that his lover preferred to drink tea unsweetened.

Kurama made a face as he remembered the time he had introduced Hiei to green tea ice cream, and the fire demon, after a trial taste, poured at least half a cup of sugar into his bowl and mixed it up. Another spoonful disappeared into his mouth, and the youkai had declared it "good." The redhead hadn't been able to suppress a shudder at the imagined taste, and he had promptly informed his lover that some things *could* be enjoyed plain, to which Hiei had responded, "Then they're probably not worth eating."

Ten minutes later, his stomach appeased, Kurama headed out of the apartment and toward Genkai's dojo. It was time to get some answers.

End Part 3

[previous] [next] [Fox and Phoenix page]
© 1998 Jenn