Four Dragon Island
Volume Nineteen
The Dragon Sinks into Darkness

Summary by Amparo Bertram




Fei's men overpower him and tie him up until he agrees to take the White Dragon's place, but he stubbornly refuses. The whole town is ablaze with the rumor about his heritage, and the Howaluu have reached the evacuation deadline. They know it's time to take action in one way or another.

The moment Max's steward hears about Fei being the Great Dragon's son, he rushes Max's wife and heir to a separate mansion outside the city. He tries to get the Great Dragon's widow to go as well, but she refuses to leave. The Heitanyui gather at the border, ready to sneak into Bailong as soon as the commotion begins and set fire to the buildings. Luckily Mao and Lingchuan manage to make it into the city without being caught.

Mao intends to contact the Howaluu to help him find Liing, so Lingchuan leaves him with a message for Fei: "You were truly loved as a baby. If fate had gone better, you would be living happily in Heilong with your parents." She makes her way alone to reunite with her former mistress, Yuiran, to tell her everything that has happened. Yuiran is stunned that her son is still alive. Mao meets Liing and spills the message for Fei, which strikes Liing as different from the history he had been told.

Fei can't abandon the Howaluu, but he doesn't want to depose Max either. He realizes at last that the reason he returned to the island was that he couldn't stand to see Max become empty again without him, like his life on the mainland had been. He feels the only option left to him is to join Max in a double suicide. Just as they're about to strike the final blows, however, they notice that Fei's adoptive father Yuelyan has come to watch the Great Dragon's children kill each other. When they stop fighting, he and the Heitanyui leader attack. Max holds them off, protecting Fei, but receives a serious shoulder wound.

Yuelyan, the former Black Dragon's heir, had been in love with Yuiran, but she "betrayed" him by marrying the Great Dragon instead, and he became insanely furious. When he found she had a child, he ordered it thrown in the sea--but he changed his mind at the last minute to have further revenge. Yuiran appears and explains that he made a terrible mistake. Fei is really his own son, not the Great Dragon's. Refusing to listen, he strikes at her. Fei takes the blow in her place. His last sight as he sinks into unconsciousness, reaching for Max, is the White Dragon bleeding heavily and falling to his knees.

[Previous] [Next] [Back to Silongtou]