Four Dragon Island
Volume Fourteen
The Dragon Hesitates in the Rain

Summary by Amparo Bertram




The leader of the Kaorouche visits to inform Fei of the Blue Dragon's true state and to ask whether the White Dragon is planning to take over the whole island. What concerns Fei more is the question of whether he really is Max's half-brother and what that could do to their relationship. He keeps a magnolia-patterned hand mirror that had belonged to Lingchuan, which the Shulingfan head had given him, and tries to avoid Max's advances. When Max's steward is captured while carrying a message to the Black Dragon, Fei heads to Heilong to rescue him.

Shocked and saddened at being rebuffed so completely for no apparent reason, Max doesn't know what to do to get Fei to look at him again. His father's widow, who has taken to singing lullabies and crying recently, hears that he is planning to visit the Black Dragon and warns him not to pick a fight with the northern city for the sake of the island's peace. Researching his father's wedding, Max discovers that Lingchuan had served the Red Dragon.

During his rescue attempt, Fei is defeated in combat and temporarily blinded by the leader of the Heitanyui, a powerful gang formed by upper-class men who have become disdainful of their current ruler. The leader wants to see Fei's Holy Dragon tattoo while his skin is flushed, with no further explanation. Lingchuan, who is suffering from amnesia and believes she is the newlywed Red Dragon's servant, is also being kept at the Heitanyui base. Fei is finally released with Max's steward, but he accidentally leaves Lingchuan's mirror behind at a young noble's estate.

Fei's sight returns fully the instant he looks at Max when they meet up in Heilong. Fei wonders, If we are related, will I be able to let go of the anger I've been keeping inside? Can I forget what I have lost? ...Will his gaze continue to pierce me? Will he keep tormenting and binding my heart with sweet pain? Or will he embrace my body tenderly, this body that may have the blood of both the west and south Dragons?

"Can I ask you something...Maximilian?" Please, someone, seal my lips.

[Previous] [Next] [Back to Silongtou]