University of Michigan Football
Unofficial Michigan Football Recruiting Site
This is an unofficial site, meant to provide information (and rumors) about the current prep football recruiting class.
I have no official connection to the football program, and I claim no expertise on recruiting matters.
These reports are compiled from a variety of sources, including on-line and printed information. I will update the
page whenever I hear new information about commitments.
The first day for recruits to sign an official letter of intent in February 7, 1996. Coaches are not allowed to
comment on potential recruits until a letter has been signed. Please do not contact the recruits directly - it is
an NCAA violation to "recruit" for a University (but then again, pretty much everything is an NCAA violation these days).
- Wide Receiver: The Wolverines are usually well stocked at this position. Coming into this season, it seemed
like this would again be the case. However, the players who have been recruited over the last 2 years have failed
develop as expected, except for a true freshman (Tai Streets) who played this year. The graduation of Amani Toomer
and Mercury Hayes leaves Michigan with problems at the wide-out position for the first time in many years.
A blue-chip wide receiver would have the chance to make an immediate impact.
- Offensive Line: Most of the line should be back next year; Joe Marinaro is graduating, and Jon Runyan may elect
to go to the NFL, where he may be a 1st round pick. Rod Payne should be back for a redshirt senior year. Look for U of M
to load up here - several blue-chippers are looking at Ann Arbor, and there will be plenty of playing time up for grabs
after next year.
- Quarterback: This is not an area of major concern, though most schools like to bring in at least one QB each year.
Dreisbach will be a sophomore, Griese a junior, and the coaches are very high on Tom Brady, who is a freshman from California
who was redshirted this year. Look for U of M to sign one QB this year.
- Running Back: Fullback is the emphasis. The Wolverines don't have a true fullback on the roster this year.
Michigan almost always brings in one or two top tailbacks as well, although the incredible depth at the position currently
may discourage a few of the RB's who could have an immediate impact elsewhere.
- Tight End: Another position which is deep and talented, with Jerame Tuman, Mark Campbell, and Aaron Shea all having 3 or 4
years of eligibility remaining. Not a current priority, though at least one will join the team.
- Defensive Line: The defensive end position is set for now - Glen Steele is a sophomore, and Rasheed Simmons and Juaquin
Feazell are redshirt freshman. Several blue-chippers from last year will start to play next year as well, including Pat Kratus, Chris
Ziemann, and James Hall. The defensive tackle position is more of a priority, as Trent Zenkewicz and Jason Horn are graduating.
Will Carr will be back, and freshman Josh Williams should have an impact, but depth is a concern.
- Linebackers: The middle linebacker spot should be solid (Irons, Sword, Swett - great names across the board). Once again, the OLB spot is a concern - much will depend on the
development of David Bowens (who showed flashes of brilliance) and the health of Mike Elston. Despite all the injury problems over the
last few years, U of M only signed one true LB (Bowens) last year, and depth will become an issue here again.
- Defensive Backs: Michigan's defensive backfield improved vastly this year with the addition of Charles Woodson. The cornerback spot
could use some depth, however, and expect U of M to bring in at least one blue-chip prospect at this position, especially as Clarence
Thompson may move back to safety. In addition to Woodson, there are one or two other current freshman who could play next year.
The safety position could use depth as well, with Chuck Winters and Thompson being seniors next year. Daydrion Taylor has shown
that he can be an impact player. Expect U of M to go after a couple of safeties this year.
url of this page: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~svijan/intro.html
Feel free (and encouraged) to e-mail me with any updated information
[Football home page]