Professor of History
1029 Tisch Hall
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1003
Voice: (734) 764-6305, 763-1599
FAX (734) 747-4811
1975 B.A. History and Literature of Religions, Northwestern University
1978 M.A. Arabic Studies/History, American University in Cairo
1984 Ph.D. Islamic Studies, University of California Los Angeles
1984-1990 Assistant Professor of History, University of Michigan
1990-1995 Associate Professor of History, University of Michigan
1992-1995 Director, Center for Middle Eastern and North African Studies, University of Michigan
1995-2007 Professor of History, University of Michigan
2007- Richard P. Mitchell Collegiate Professor of History, University of Michigan
2009-2012 Director, Center for South Asian Studies, University of Michigan 2012-2017 Director, Center for Middle Eastern and North African Studies, University of Michigan
Scholastic Awards and Grants
; Distinguished Visiting Professor, Center for Gulf Studies, Qatar University, Spring 2018.
; Visiting Fellow, Doris Duke Institute of Islamic Art, Honolulu, December 2016.
; John W. Kluge Chair of Countries and Cultures of the South, Library of Congress, May-August 2016
; Farhat J. Ziadeh Lecture, U. of Washington, May 2014
; Richard Leopold Lecture, Dept. of History, Northwestern University,, Oct. 29, 2012
; Distinguished Visiting Professor, March 10-17, Lingnan University, Hong Kong
; Distinguished Visiting Professor, American University in Cairo, May 2010
; Green Visiting Chair, Texas Christian University, February 2009
; Collegiate Professorship, College of Literature, Science and the Arts, University of Michigan, 2007 -
; James Aronson Award for Social Justice Journalism, Hunter College, 2005.
; Hudson Research Professorship, Winter, 2003
; Award for Research in Turkey, May, 1999, International Institute, U-M
; Research Excellence Award, College of LSA, U-M, August, 1997
; OVPR and LSA Faculty Assistance Fund Grants, June, 1995
; LSA Faculty Assistance Fund Grant, March 1994
; Rackham Research Partnership, 1992-93
; National Endowment for the Humanities, Jan.-June, 1991
; Office of the Vice-President for Research, U-M (Pakistan), Summer 1990
; Horace H. Rackham Faculty Grant, Egypt, Summer 1988
; SSRC/ACLS Post-Doctoral Award, England, Summer 1986
; Fulbright-Hays Islamic Civilization Postdoctoral Award, Egypt, 1985-86
; SSRC/ACLS Doctoral Fellowship, Pakistan, India, UK, 1981-83
; Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Fellowship, India, 1982
At the University of Michigan, he teaches courses on the modern history of the Middle East and on South Asia. He regularly teaches History 241, America and Middle Eastern Wars. He also offers a survey, History 443 Modern Middle East History. For graduate students he offersr History 664 Studies on the Modern Middle East, History 749 Seminar on the Modern Middle East, and History 793 The Study of the Near East, and has co-taught History 615 Comparative World History.
Recent National Service
- Editorial Board, International Affairs, Chatham House, London. (2008 -2015 )
- Editorial Board, Political Science Quarterly. (2008- )
- Middle East Studies Association of North America
- President, 2006.
- 1999-2004. Editor, The International Journal of Middle East Studies (Published by Cambridge University Press for the Middle East Studies Association of North America).
- 1998 Program Committee chair, MESA annual conference
- 1996, 1989 Officer Nominating Committee
- 1991, Book Award Committee, Middle East Studies Association
- 1988-1992 Book Review Editor, International Journal of Middle East Studies
- Society for Iranian Studies
Editorial Board, 1991-97
- 2003- Editor, H-Mideast-Politics Electronic Forum.
- 1997-2002 Editor, H-Bahai Electronic Forum and Journal
- 1995-2000 Editorial Board, Critique
- 1993-1996 Social Science Research Council: Joint Committee on the Near and Middle East
- 1993 Columbia University, Middle East Institute: Outside Reviewer.
- 1992-1994 Eastern Consortium of Middle East Centers: Chairman, Persian-Turkish Summer Programs
- 1992-1995 American Institute of Iranian Studies: Board of Directors
- 1992 American Council of Learned Societies: Fellowship Selection Committee