What Is Mathematics?
College Interdivisional Course 216
(Formerly known as: Math for Poets,
Understanding Mathematics, and
Gödel, Escher, Bach)
Named "Cool Site of the Month" April 1996
Jefferson Junior High School,
Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S.A.
RCIDIV 216-001 Fall '03
pm 224 Tyler EQ
... and a few words on Math Appreciation
Web pages for our recently-published texts:
Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)
- Bach canons and fugues online
- A Bach home page
listing in the Classical Music Pages.
- The Bach FAQ
- The Endlessly Rising
Canon, with Shepard scales (audio samples)
Maurits Cornelis Escher (1898-1972)
- An Escher home page
- World of Escher
Kurt Gödel (1906-1978), an international
- From New Zealand, Gödel's
Theorem and Information, a paper by Gregory Chaitin
- From Austria, The Kurt
- From the UK, The
Goedel Programming Language
- and a Kurt
Gödel Home Page
- From Latvia, Around
Goedel's Theorem, a
(hyper)textbook for students in mathematical logic
- From Australia, "Can
Humans Escape Goedel?", a review of Shadows of the Mind, by
Douglas Hofstadter The Onlie Begetter
- Indiana CogSci,
where he plies his trade
- another of
- Euclid's Proposition 47 (an animation)
- Euclid of Alexandria Home Page
- Euclid's Prime Number Theorem (there is no largest prime number)
- a sample page from Euclid's Elements
to Euclid's Elements
Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, 1832-1898)
- LEWIS CARROLL SOCIETY OF NORTH AMERICA (LCSNA) Home Page at (www.lewiscaroll.org)
- Metastuff -- Lewis Carroll and Other's Works
classic The Annotated Alice
from Amazon Books.
About Stephen Wolfram & aNKoS
About Cellular Automata
- From Wolfram Science: Book summary,
- An official Math
- An editorial
of Life Home Page
on Game of Life
- Applets for
Game of Life
- Evolving Cellular
- A Tutorial
on Cellular Automata
Cellular Automata page
Math Forum on Cellular Automata
Chaos, Complexity, and Fractal Geometry
- The Chaos
- Chaos without
- Interactive Course
on Chaos and Fractals
- Chaos Theory
and Fractal Geometry
- Clifford Pickover Visual information. Very visual. Very information.
Art, Graphics, Chaos and Fractals
and Julia Set Explorer Interactive zoom
- Spanky Fractal Database
Eliza & Co.
(See below for downloadable Elizas)
dba: Dr. Werner Wilhelm Webowitz
- Another Eliza,
with a different script
- Simon Laven's
- with a full panoply of chatterboxes, some interactive
and some downloadable software
- Julia, Eliza's g'g'g'great-granddaughter
- A case of a human failing the Turing Test
- And an annotation on the
Eliza Effect in AI jargon.
numbers in Number Theory
- Prime Numbers and
- The Largest Primes
- Join in The Great
Internet Mersenne Prime Search
- Prime Romance, from
Games and Related Matters
The Live Artificial
Alife Online (that's
A-Life, i.e, Artificial Life -- hey, it's a living)
Some games by John Horton Conway
- The Erdös Number Project. Erdös Numbers are not your ordinary kind of number.
- Favorite Mathematical Constants
- A Postcard
- Women and Minorities in Science and Engineering for the math-abused
- "Metaphors We Compute By", by Yours Truly
- The UM Math Department
- Numeric Sequences
- Alan Turing Home Page
Humor Really, this is humorous. It says so right here...
- Sight gags and other mercifully short
- Q: What's purple and commutes?
- A: An Abelian grape.
- Stories and other
- "An engineer, a physicist and a mathematician ..."
- Verse: "Hiawatha Designs an
- "In a corner of the forest
- Sits alone my Hiawatha
- Permanently cogitating
- On the normal law of errors."
- Even Verse: Cecil Adams' version of Schrödinger's Cat, from "The
"Schrödinger, Erwin! Professor of physics!
Wrote daring equations! Confounded his critics!"
- A British entry,
Quotes from lecturers at Cambridge University
- .. including the Sybil Fawlty Prize for Stating the Bleeding Obvious:
"You don't want to prove theorems that are false."
- Deviating from mathematics briefly, here is a collection of
sentences harvested from American students' essays on science exams.
- "Three kinds of blood vessels are arteries, vanes and caterpillers."
- "The pistol of a flower is its only protection against insects."
- "When you smell an odorless gas, it is probably carbon monoxide."
- Economist Jokes
- Eliza: the first successful AI program, in several versions:
(See above for on-line Elizas)
"The classic psychologist-in-a-box artificial intelligence
simulation. Will speak if MacinTalk is installed."
(For Macintosh only)
- Eliza for DOS; works from a separate script, so you can modify it.
(Turn Eliza into a feminist therapist, a paranoid schizophrenic, or
even Hannibal Lector)
- Other Elizas for DOS,
from Simon Laven
- FractInt, by a wide margin the best Fractal generator for DOS.
- Calculus Calculator, a free graphing virtual math package (DOS only).
- Very impressive, especially at this price.
- Math directories from the UM Archives: Macintosh, MS-DOS
- Mathematics and the Liberal Arts, with tons of downloadable math software
for students, teachers, and other curious people.
Some class projects
Simulators: Modification and Comparison, starring Eliza as Space Ghost
and MegaHAL as Socrates, a GEB project by Alex Krusz, 2002.
sonnets by Raymond Queneau, a GEB project by Andrew Lurie, 2002.
General Mathematics Links
month on the Mathematics Archives
University Resource Collections
- Cornell Math/Science
- CalTech Math Resources
- Oklahoma State Math Resources
- Penn State Math Resources
- University of Tennessee Math Archives
- History of Mathematics Very complete.
- Legislating Pi by Mark Brader
- Truth is much, much stranger than fiction.
- A Brief History of Algebra and Computing, by Jonathan Bowen
- The American Mathematical
- The Mathematical Association of
America Not the same organization as the AMS
- well, maybe a poem
- The Geometry Center
- Applied Math
- WWW Virtual Library: Math
- CSC Math - Finland
- Data Powers of Ten
- Stewart Dickson A mathematical artist.
Last change 11/6/05 John