Professor of Political Science
Department of Social Sciences
2164 Social Sciences Building
University of Michigan–Dearborn
Dearborn, Michigan 48128
Phone: (313) 593-5226
Fax: (313) 593-5645
E-mail: fwayman at umich.edu
(Please replace " at " with "@" to send e-mail.)
Recent and forthcoming books
Co-authored with Meredith Sarkees. Washington, DC: CQ Press, 2010
- Selected by the Association of American Publishers for honorable mention as best reference book in the Humanities and Social Sciences, 2010
- "Monumental in its treatment and exhaustive in its scope, Resort to War is certainly a remarkable achievement…" — Brian Odom, Booklist
Co-edited with Paul Williamson, Solomon Polachek, and Bruce Bueno de Mesquita. Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, U.K.: Edward Elgar Press, 2014.
- This unusual collaborative endeavour of high-level scholars from across the sciences offers a new view into predicting the future.
- P.S. 101 – Introduction to American Government
- P.S. 201 – Introduction to Comparative Politics
- History/Humanities/Sociology 264 (honors) – Contemporary Civilization
- P.S. 300 – Introduction to Political Analysis
- Pol./Env. Studies 325 – Environmental Politics
- P.S. 371 – International Politics
- P.S. 375 – Great Powers
- P.S. 451/551 – Peace and War
- P.S. 460 – Problems in World Politics
- P.S. 471/571 – American Foreign Policy I
- P.S. 472/572 – American Foreign Policy II
- P.S. 473/573 – International Security
- P.S. 481/581 – Terrorism and U.S. National Security
- PPOL 501 – Research Methods in Public Policy
- PPOL 504 – Rational Choice
- PADM 580 – Information Systems & Statistics for Administrators
- P.S. 4910 – Why War? Extent, Causes, and Solutions
"At least since Madison railed about the mischiefs of faction, critics of U.S. political institutions have worried about the influence of organized interests in national policy making. In this century,… in particular the growth of number and financial strength of political action committees has refueled the charge that moneyed interests dominate the policy making process…
"In contrast to the substantial literature on contributions and roll calls, our analysis provides solid support for the importance of moneyed interest in the legislative process."
— Richard Hall and Frank Wayman, "Buying Time," American Political Science Review (1990).
"The global biospheric system of Earth… is the physical, biological, and social context in which, and only in which, humans have evolved to live. It is affected by (nominally distinct) physical, biological, and social processes, and… can only be understood from an ecological perspective covering, and integrating, the whole range of the sciences. Such a perspective might add empirical content to the term 'general systems theory.'"
— Preface to Frank Wayman, Paul Williamson, Solomon Polachek, and Bruce Bueno de Mesquita, eds., Predicting the Future in Science, Economics, and Politics. Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, U.K.: Edward Elgar Press, 2014.
"We now suspect that Frederick the Great was soon to be wide of the mark when he wrote to the Countess Von Gotha in 1760 that 'God is always with the strongest battalions.' "
— Frank Wayman, J. David Singer, and Gary Goertz, "Capabilities, Allocations, and Success in Wars and Militarized Disputes," International Studies Quarterly, 1983.