[Dan's Home Page][Graduate Student Resources][My Publications] [The One Page][Alphonse Chapanis, RIP]
Dan Horn's Homepage
Dan Horn, Ph.D.
U. S. Army Research Institute
2511 Jefferson Davis Highway
Arlington, VA 22202
d-a-n-hor-n (without the dashes) at gmail.com
Stuff I'm doing:
Stuff I've done:
- I was a post-doctoral research fellow in the University of Michigan's School of Information.
I worked on NEESgrid, a project to develop a cyberinfrastructure to support collaboration between
- I used to actively maintain a Graduate Students Resources Page (many of the links are dead, sorry).
- I was the co-chair for Workshops and SIGs for CHI 2005
- I was the treasurer for the ACM CSCW 2004 conference which was held in November,
- I spent a year as a lecturer in the University of Michigan's Department of Psychology. I taught Intro to Psychology and a graduate seminar in computer programming. It was a great year.
- Along with Erika Orrick, I was a Co-Chair of the Student Volunteer program for CHI 2003.
- I completed my dissertation (Ph.D., Cognitive Psychology, University of Michigan) in which I explored the effects of limited bandwidth video on lie detection. Some of this work is available on my publications page.
- I received the University of Michigan Rackham Graduate School Outstanding Graduate Instructor Award in 2000, and the UM Department of Psychology Outstanding GSI Award in 1999.
- As a grad student I wrote a (sort of) weekly (usually) humorous Happy Hour e-mail, my favorite was Grad School(tm): The Game.
- I was quoted in the New York Times on August 12, 1999. The article "Keyboards Still Stuck in the Age of NumLock" by Jennifer 8. Lee, discussed the past and future of the computer keyboard; it was written by a woman with the middle initial "8" (I don't get it either...). I was also quoted in the Saginaw News (Saginaw, MI) in an article called "Mask of Emotion" in which I waxed scientific about lie detection. I'm very quotable...
- I spent the summers of 1998 & 1999 working at IBM TJ Watson Research Center working on Speech Recognition software. One of the articles we wrote on this work received the Brian Shackel Award for the Most Outstanding Paper at INTERACT 1999.
- I received my M.A. in Psychology from the University of Michigan in 1997 my thesis was about the development of organizational routines in technologically mediated groups.
- I received my B.A. (with highest honors, thank you very much) in Psychology from SUNY at Buffalo in 1995 where I worked with anxiety disordered subjects, and completed an honor's thesis entitled, "A factor analysis of the Fear Survey Schedule III: Responses of an American anxiety disordered sample."
- From April of 1992 to August 1995 I worked for what is now ClientLogic Corp. (formerly Softbank Services Group (formerly UCA&L (formerly Upgrade Corporation of America and Alexander and Lord))).
- I've never killed a man.
This page was last updated 23-July-2007
Its URL is "http://www-personal.umich.edu/~danhorn/index.html"
Page maintained by Dan Horn, d-a-nho-r-n (remove the dashes please) at gmail.com