EPI & CSHPE, University of Michigan
NAEd/Spencer Dissertation Fellow 17-18
(with my student in Gansu Province, 2009)
I work on the economics of education, with a particular interest in the causes and consequences of education policies and individual schooling choices in both K-12 and higher education. My current research focuses on the United States and China; it is expanding to many other countries.
Why do I want to improve education policy for the poor? "25 dangerous roads to school in the world"
How to help low-income students in centralized college choice? "The Bright Future of China Project"
My new poetry collection for 2017: "2017 Annual." My Chinese poetry book "Gone with the rain" was selected to 2017 China Youth Poetry Tour, the highest honor for poets under 40.
Forthcoming presentations: 2018 AEFP, 2018 AERA.
- 2019 (expected), Ph.D., Higher Education (Economics concentration), University of Michigan
- 2013, M.A., Economics of Education, Peking University
- 2010, B.A., Economics, Peking University
Work in progress
- Organizing schools to improve college access and choice: Policy-relevant evaluations (the Bright Future of China Project, with various co-authors)
- Evolution of charter school quality in Michigan, with Brian Jacob
- Matching mechanism and college admissions outcomes, with Prashant Loyalka, Chao Fu
- Human instruction versus machine learning, 2018
- Making information work for low-income students in college choice, 2018, with Yanqing Ding, Yinduo Wu, Jin Yang. "Poster for 2017 NAEd/Spencer Retreat"
- Effects of public elite high schools on college access and choice, 2018
- College and labor market returns to high school math coursework, 2018, with Steve DesJardins, Brian McCall
- High school science courses as STEM momentum, 2018, with Sooji Kim, Steve DesJardins, Brian McCall
- Effects of education spending on school enrollment, 2018, with Wei Ha, Brian Jacob
- Are regional quotas fair?, 2018, with Lina Guo, Prashant Loyalka
- The supply of international graduate students from China, 2017, with Suhong Yang
- High school spending and student college access, 2017, with with Yanqing Ding, Rong Wang, Yinduo Wu, Jin Yang
- Dynamic effects of high school math, 2017, with Steve DesJardins, Brian McCall
- Fiscal competition and coordination, 2016, with Shaoda Wang
- Does middle school transition harm student achievements in the long run?, 2016, with Brian Jacob
- Intergovernmental transfer under heterogeneous accountability, under review, with Yanqing Ding, Fengming Lu
- How college choices in centralized admissions systems disadvantage disadvantaged students?, under review, with Prashant Loyalka, Jianguo Wei, Binzhen Wu, Qu Yue,
- Stratified access and production of higher education during expansion in China, under review, with Yanqing Ding, Jin Yang, Yinduo Wu
Recent peer-reviewed articles in China
- College Undermatch of Rural Students: Evidence from Ningxia Gaokao data
Public high school performance pay under accountability
- China Economics of Education Review, 2018, , with Si Chen, Yanqing Ding, Yinduo Wu, Jin Yang.
Why have some local governments closed more rural schools than others?
- Education & Economy, 2017, 33(3): 25-35, with Yinduo Wu, Jin Yang.
Expanding Chinese higher education: Quality and social stratification
- China Economics of Education Review, 2016, 1(4): 3-34, with Yanqing Ding, Shaoda Wang.
- Chinese Journal of Sociology, 2015, 35(3): 193-220, with Yanqing Ding.
One of the best moments in my life
(Yifeng Su [#14], Leiyu Xia [#9], Shaoda Wang [#7] and me [#27], Peking University, March 2013)
Thank you for visiting!
See more about me
|here (not updated for a while), and|| my EPI page if you are interested.
[Last updated: March 2018]