Sloanville Holiday

Part Three


After a short stay at his father's, Peter decided that he would be better served returning to the precinct. He brought along Detective Vecchio, who had agreed to help him on his latest case. From what I hear, Vecchio gave his car keys to the Mountie, albeit reluctantly and with dire warnings about touching the lighter.

I'm not sure yet what Fraser thinks of our city, but after today Vecchio certainly considers it a home away from home.

Peter knocked on the office door, studying the words "Detective Griffin" painted across the window in stark black letters and wondering idly why Kermit hadn't redone it in green. Then the computer specialist called out a muffled "Enter" and Peter did so, Ray trailing behind.

Kermit grinned at seeing the Chicago cop. "Welcome to the 101st, Detective Vecchio. You seem to have made it here safe and sound. What happened to the other two members of your little expedition? You didn't shoot them on the way, did you?"

"Nah, they're at Caine's. But, so help me, if Benny even thinks about touching my lighter..."

"Kermit, did you get that information I asked for?" Peter cut in. He disliked not knowing what was going on in his territory, and he felt time slipping away with every beat of his heart. If he didn't put a stop to it soon, more people would die.

Kermit leaned back in his chair and steepled his fingers. "More or less...mostly less," he admitted. "No rumors of any major arms or drug shipments coming into or out of the city. No armored cars. No high-profile kidnappings, although that's not to preclude the possibility of such in the future. No outstanding political targets. Even the world of organized crime seems stable at present."

Peter swore under his breath, but he recognized the futility of losing his temper over yet another dead end. "What about the woman with red hair?"

"I ran a check on known red-haired, female felons in the right age bracket. I came up with a list of twenty possibles--the printouts are on your desk. But with hair color so easy to change, I'm afraid there's not much chance of finding the right woman. What you really need--"

"Peter! Hey!" The piercing female voice cut through the babble in the squad room. "Peter Caine!"

"Geez," Ray exclaimed, scratching his ear. "That sounds like my sister."

The three of them spilled out of Kermit's office. "I'm over here, Lula," Peter called, waving to attract the attention of the tall brunette.

"Peter, there you are, thank goodness!" She strode over and clutched at the sleeve of his shirt. "You've gotta help my Donny. He's in trouble."

"You know I would if I could, Lula, but I haven't been able to find him. Where is he?" His spirits rose at the thought that Donny Double D hadn't yet been silenced by the mysterious forces mobilizing in the city. He had been worried ever since the informant had disappeared after the two other murders.

She shook her head. "He wouldn't tell me where. He just said he has some important information for you, and that he needs protection."

Peter managed to disengage himself from her deathgrip. "Do you have a way to contact him?" He stared into her eyes, trying to will her to calm down, though his own excitement was rising. This might be the break that would let him crack the case.

"He left me a number so I could call him back."

"Can you tell him to come see me? I'll do everything in my power to keep him safe."

"Are you crazy? Come to a police station in broad daylight? Not a chance. He'd be caught before he crossed the parking lot."

"Okay, then tell him to meet me at my father's place in Chinatown. If my father can't protect him, no one can."

"I will. Thank you, Peter." She planted a kiss on his cheek. "You always come through. Hold on while I make the call, and I'll come with you."

Peter let her use his phone and waited while she contacted Donny. Beside him, Ray shook his head in amazement. "She reminds me of Frannie."

"You mean Francesca?" He remembered the other cop's sister, the one who had prodded him verbally from across the table and then physically beneath it when he had eaten at the Vecchio house. "There is a certain similarity," he admitted.

"You let me know if you find anything," Kermit said, taking a step toward his office. "I've got work to do."

"Thanks for the help," Peter tossed after him.

"Don't mention it. Oh, and Vecchio," he said over his shoulder, "thank you for the ice cream."

"Ice cream?" Peter and Ray exchanged puzzled glances, but neither one of them had a clue.

End Part 3

[previous] [next] [Crossovers]
© 1995 Amparo Bertram