Sloanville Holiday

Part Twelve


You'd think it would be over at this point, right? I mean, happy endings all around, a heartwarming tale of danger, self-realization, and evil vanquished. Well...almost.

Don'tcha just hate loose ends?

Peter snapped a pair of cuffs on Victoria and led her to his car. He wanted to thank Fraser for capturing her, knowing the personal cost the deed signified, but the Mountie was off helping a fruit vendor collect his spilled wares. He had only stuck around long enough to turn her over and pick up his Stetson.

Peter wished he could have brought in Jack as well, but he didn't have any evidence of a crime. "Conspiracy to commit a theatrical performance" probably wouldn't stick, and he couldn't prove anything more serious.

He nearly tripped on Diefenbaker. The animal gave new meaning to the phrase "dogging his steps" as it kept a careful watch on Victoria, making absolutely certain that she didn't attempt an escape. He got the impression that the wolf was hoping she would try it.

Come to think of it, she acted extremely calm for someone who reportedly hated jail with a passion. Especially since this time she would be charged with multiple murders. He didn't like it, but he couldn't exactly complain because she was behaving herself.

He shut her in the car, nearly slamming the door on the wolf's nose. "Sorry," he muttered when Dief jumped back with a yelp.

"You can't really blame him," Ray said, half-sitting on the trunk of the Stealth and glaring daggers at the prisoner through the rear window. "She's as slick as ice. She got away from us once before."

"I'll be careful." He paused to brush some short, white hairs off his sleeve. Dief managed to look suitably embarrassed. "Anyway, I want to thank you for your help. I couldn't have prevented the robbery without you, not to mention collaring the one responsible."

"Aw, it was nothing. Besides, it was worth every second to see that she gets put behind bars where she belongs...although I'm not sure how Benny feels about it."

"My father said the Mountie finally found his way out of the blizzard that had blinded his inner eyes."

"What the hell does that mean?"

Peter shrugged. "You've got me."

Ray laughed and shook his head. "He's really something, you know that? Of course you do, he's your father." He looked around. "Where did he run off to, by the way?"

"I think he went to tell Donny and Lula that they should be safe now." He smiled as a thought struck him. "You know what else he said? That Fraser would have made an excellent Shaolin."

"Benny, a priest?" He had to mull over that idea for a few moments. "Well," he concluded, "at least he's got the poverty thing down pat, and he can stand for hours without moving a muscle, which I suppose is rather like meditation."

"He always helps people in need," Peter pointed out, "and he's kind to everyone."

"On the other hand, you'd probably have to pry him out of his uniform with a blowtorch and other implements of destruction, which I can't see happening anytime soon."

Dief barked in agreement. Then he barked again for another reason entirely.

"Whoops, here he comes!" Ray nudged Peter and said in a voice quite loud enough for the Canadian to hear, "Don't let on we've been talking about him."

Fraser smiled as he approached, recognizing his friend's brand of humor. He glanced at the interior of the car, where Victoria steadfastly ignored him, without the slightest change in his expression. "That's quite all right, Ray," he said. "I've been talking about you. As a matter of fact, the two of us have received an invitation to supper tonight."

"Great!" Ray slid off the trunk of the car and headed for his Riviera. "We can go right after we get back from the ballpark. I hear there's a local match today."

Fraser's brow wrinkled as he turned to follow his friend. "I thought we were going to the ice sculpture demonstration in the Southgate Plaza."

"Not on your life." He settled into the driver's seat, after holding the door open long enough for Dief to jump in the back.

"What about the zoo...?"

Peter could still hear them arguing as they drove away. "Some vacation," he mused. He couldn't help chuckling. "Come back anytime."

There you have it, Siren. The whole story. Peter filled me in on the details when he brought in Vicky this morning. I don't trust her any more than you do, and I'm sure she has some kind of scheme up her sleeve, but I can't figure out what it might be and I can't watch her twenty-four hours a day.

At any rate, I hope the boys have a good time while they're in town. From now on, that is. I'm sure they'll be able to agree on *something* before their vacation time is up.

Which reminds me--I have a vacation coming soon, and I have to collect those ice cream cones sometime. So...what does Chicago have to offer?

TTFN, Kermit.

The End

[previous] [Crossovers]
© 1995 Amparo Bertram