Yes, sirree, our fair city is a fine place for a vacation. (Or is that the other way around--our fine city is a fair place for vacations?) The weather is beautiful this time of the year...so I hear from people who actually go outside. ;-) There's plenty to see and do. We even have a particularly enjoyable museum, which I personally recommend, though it may not compare to the ones you have in Chicago.

Of course, we also have an excellent police force to keep our citizens and visitors safe.

If you're still worried about the boys, I can keep tabs on them and then check in with you periodically to let you know they're all right. How much trouble do you think they could possibly get into, anyway?

Don't answer that.

TTFN, Kermit

Sloanville Holiday
or: May I Vacation with You?

A Due South/KF:TLC Crossover

by Amparo Bertram


They arrived safely this afternoon. Nope, no gunshot wounds in either the Mountie or the wolf--that's one ice cream cone you owe me, Siren! I'm keeping track, and virtual ice cream doesn't count...

Ray took his eyes off the road briefly to glance at his friend in the passenger seat. "So, what have you got on that itinerary of yours?"

Constable Fraser scanned the first page of his meticulous list. To commemorate being on vacation, he had foregone his uniform in favor of a simple red shirt and jeans. He had brought his Stetson with him, however; it rested neatly on the Riviera's dashboard. "Elaine suggested that we try the museum. It seems they're having a gem exhibit all this month."

"A museum? You gotta be kidding."

"Why not? It sounds educational." Only Fraser would be able to deliver that line with such an air of innocent eagerness.

"Exactly." Ray refused to allow the Mountie, no matter how good a friend, to undermine his efforts to have a good time. "This is a vacation. Repeat after me, 'va-ca-tion.' The second rule of vacationing is never do anything educational."

"Second rule?" Apparently his curiosity overcame his natural urge to dispute the point. He looked up at Ray expectantly, eyebrows raised.

"The first rule is that you must spend as much time on the beach as possible--which I could have done in Miami, if it hadn't been for you." He grumbled under his breath, only enunciating the words, "Elaine...not even a detective..."

Beside him, Benny sighed. "I said I was sorry, Ray."

"Yeah, well, at least the sec ond rule should remain sacred. What else have you got on that list? Any sports?"

"Um..." He made a show of extensively searching all three pages of the itinerary. "There doesn't seem to be--"

"There's got to be something non-educational to do in a city this size. Did Elaine mention any good clubs?"

From behind him, in the back seat, Diefenbaker gave a slight "rrruff" and stuck his nose into the front. Fraser reached up and absentmindedly scratched one furry ear. "I know, Dief, I haven't forgotten."

"Forgotten what?"

"I promised him we'd visit Caine while we were in town. He has really become quite fixated on the man." He paused a moment in thought. "Ray, did Caine do anything unusual during the time the two of you were with him?"

"Unusual in what way?" The detective wasn't certain he wanted to discuss how Caine had found one of Bon Bon Hai's minions by sensing the evil in his aura.

"It's just that he could see... Never mind. I'm sure it's nothing."

"At least the wolf can come up with a decent suggestion. All right, point the way." He waited a few seconds. When no answer was forthcoming he added, "You do know where he lives, don't you?"

"I don't really have an exact address."

"Oh? What have you got?"

"Chinatown."

"That's it?" He groaned. This was almost as bad as randomly asking bus drivers to take them to Mike's House. "How do you expect us to find him? I suppose we'll just pull up to someone on the sidewalk, roll down the window, and ask for Caine? Honestly, Fraser..."

End Part 1

[next] [Crossovers]
© 1995 Amparo Bertram.