Masters and Princes

Part Five


Teela arrived at Castle Grayskull bright and early the second morning after Skeletor's major defeat. She had spent the previous day learning swordfighting and hand-to-hand combat techniques from Duncan MacLeod, who turned out to have a dazzling amount of knowledge in those areas. She had to cancel Adam's lesson, but he had probably been overjoyed at the prospect of loafing all day without fear of retribution.

How long would it take her to pound it into his thick skull that he needed to learn to protect himself? He would be king someday. He couldn't afford to take chances with his safety, and as much as she wanted to be, she wouldn't always be around to guard him. She felt guilty neglecting his training for even a day, but the tricks she had picked up from Duncan would help keep Adam alive, and that was worth any price.

She took a deep breath and called the Jawbridge open. It swung down silently and its lip landed on the ground with a soft thump. She got the impression that the Sorceress could turn on theatrical sound effects depending on her mood.

She ventured forth into the castle's inscrutable corridors, her thoughts jumbled and uncertain. She would ask about returning Duncan to his proper place, and then... She had to believe that the right words would come.

The Sorceress greeted her with a smile. "Good morning, Teela. It's always a delight to have you visit."

"You make me feel so at home here, how can I resist? I have a--a favor to ask. A matter that arose after I left you the last time. Skeletor's portal snatched a man from another dimension and stranded him here. I was hoping you would know how to send him back."

"What has he told you of the world from which he came?"

"He claims it is much like Queen Marlena's world, Earth, but with subtle differences. The technology isn't quite as advanced. Also, there is something unusual about him. I can't put my finger on it."

The Sorceress stroked the arms of her throne. "There are so many gates to new dimensions in this castle, some of which differ only in minute details, that without knowing Skeletor's exact spell it may be nearly impossible to locate the correct one. I will see what I can do."

"Thank you. I trust you to do your best." She paused, gathering her courage for the subject change she was about to make. Baring her emotions was a lot tougher than firing a blaster, yet they battered at her constantly, demanding to be set free. One drawback to her rank as Captain of the Guard was that she had few female friends in whom to confide safely. She appreciated that the Sorceress had agreed to listen.

"For some time now I've been having strong feelings for someone... I might as well say it, I suppose. Prince Adam." She swallowed. It sounded silly, now that her words were out in the open, but she couldn't leave the story incomplete. "I think that, somewhere along the way, I fell in love with him, and it's driving me crazy."

She interrupted herself with a wry laugh. "I teased him mercilessly when we were children. When I became his trainer, I did my job efficiently and I never gave him special treatment. He most likely thinks I'm a heartless, soulless fighting machine. I wouldn't blame him for hating me." She had to stop before hot tears spilled down her cheeks. This was more painful than she had anticipated. "He has every right to hate me."

She found herself held by a strong pair of arms, wrapped in a warm embrace of soft, downy feathers. The Sorceress didn't speak; she merely offered comfort and sympathy. They stood together for several minutes until Teela recovered possession of herself.

"What should I do? Should I tell him, get this off my chest, and face the consequences? At least now I have my position. If I speak up, I may lose that as well."

"Oh, Teela." Concern and love colored her tone. "Prince Adam does not hate you. He knows that you have a duty toward him. He might not always enjoy your less-than-tender ministrations, but he understands the necessity."

"If only..." She sighed. "It doesn't matter. I'm just another war-orphan. Even if we had perfectly compatible personalities, even if we had a chance to be happy together, I haven't the status to be worthy of him. I guess I'm better off keeping silent, not thinking about it. I should put the whole situation out of my mind."

The Sorceress turned away and bowed her head as though in shame. "I hope one day you will forgive me."

"What?"

"Nothing." Her feathers rustled as she returned her attention to her guest. "Believe me, Teela, you are as worthy as any woman on Eternia. That is the most I can say at this time, for your own protection. Do not give up hope."

End Part 5

[previous] [next] [Crossovers]
© 1995 Amparo Bertram. Previously published on HLFIC-L Internet mailing list.