Masters and Princes

Part Four


The palace turned out to be one building among many, one part of a sprawling population center. Duncan couldn't bring himself to call it a city, because the entire complex was devoted entirely to the care, amusement, and protection of the royal family. It had a flavor more like a military base than a metropolis.

He had to admit that a lot of work had gone into its creation. Marble sculptures and fountains abounded, with benches and tables strategically placed for maximum relaxation and shade trees to shelter royal heads from the heat.

As they crossed the courtyard, a young man about Richie's age approached them. He had the body of a weightlifter and his costume came right out of a Conan movie. His effect on the captain was instantaneous; this was obviously a person she wanted to impress. She straightened her posture and brushed some of the dust from her face and clothes, all unconsciously. Duncan got the message loud and clear.

"Teela!" the man called out, stopping in front of them. "I was worried when you didn't come back with the rest of the army. What happened?"

Duncan could see it in his eyes: the concern, the all-too-familiar fear that a loved one might leave and never return. This young man cared deeply for the redheaded captain. Yet there was a formality between them, a distance, barriers that couldn't be breached. The body language was all wrong for a couple with such a visible mutual attraction.

Great, he had started psychoanalyzing dream figures. All he needed now were some fuzzy animals.

On cue, a large, green tiger with yellow stripes ambled up to them, stopping next to the young man, who reached down and scratched it absentmindedly behind the ears. Duncan decided to ignore it. Maybe it would leave.

"I stopped to pull this man out of the Abyss," Teela said. "Skeletor accidentally brought him here from another dimension." How could she say such a thing with a straight face? "Duncan, meet Prince Adam."

So, he was a member of the royal family. No wonder the two of them were careful not to become close. The captain was too independent to settle for life as a mistress, and the prince could hardly afford to compromise his eligibility for a political marriage. He nodded a greeting, wondering if he should bow, but he hadn't seen any indication that it was expected.

Teela clapped a hand on his shoulder. "Adam, this is Duncan MacLeod of the Clan Mac..." Her voice trailed off. Her hand began to tingle against his bare skin.

He jerked away, but not before her hand had shown a distinct blue aura. She staggered back and Adam caught her, encircling her with his muscular arms. "Impossible!" she whispered. She stared blankly at nothing. "How can anyone be so old?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," Duncan said reflexively. Only after the words left his mouth did he wonder why he should bother. Adam was too busy trying to get the stunned captain to respond even to hear him, and besides, what difference did it make? These people weren't real.

The tiger pulled back its lips in a snarl. "If you harm Teela, I'll--I'll--" It couldn't think up a sufficiently horrible threat, so it satisfied itself by growling in a menacing fashion.

Just what he needed. Talking fuzzy animals. Duncan backed up a step, gripping his katana. "I didn't do anything," he insisted.

Teela blinked, beginning to come around. "What happened?"

"You went into a trance when you touched Duncan," the prince informed her.

"I--I don't remember..." She became aware of the way Adam was holding her and broke off contact, more abruptly than necessary in Duncan's opinion. Apparently Adam thought so as well, judging by his hurt expression, but he quickly hid his reaction.

"Well, I'm fine now," she continued as though nothing had intervened. "I need to show Duncan where he'll be staying, then I have to get cleaned up. I'll meet you in the dining hall for supper, as usual. Duncan, follow me." She strode off toward the palace, leaving the prince and his tiger without a second glance.

Duncan had to jog to catch up with her. "Wasn't that a bit, ah, rude? To treat a prince that way?" People could be beheaded for less, he knew.

"I don't have time to coddle him. So the battle took more out of me than I anticipated, so what? I didn't see him out there fighting Skeletor's goons. Until he can hold his own against those who seek to take his life, it's my job, my duty, to toughen him up."

More pieces fell into place. One of the Captain of the Guard's obligations must be training the royal heirs in warfare and self-defense. She had an extra incentive in that she cared for him and couldn't bear to see him injured, so she would drive him and herself as hard as possible, and if she were ever to show weakness...

That's what her little tantrum was about. She was embarrassed at having displayed a failing in front of Adam. This character analysis just got easier and easier! It probably all stemmed from his teacher-student relationship with Richie; it illustrated his deep-seated fear that Richie would lose his head on account of something he forgot to teach or could have taught better.

Perhaps he should offer her a few pointers, to boost her confidence. It might have a positive effect on him when he eventually awoke. He smiled. He should have lucid, introspective dreams more often.

End Part 4

[previous] [next] [Crossovers]
© 1995 Amparo Bertram. Previously published on HLFIC-L Internet mailing list.