Masters and Princes

Part Ten


Duncan couldn't help grinning as Orko did a loop-de-loop in the air shouting, "Yaaaaahoooo!" But then, the Trallan always had that effect on him. They had just received word that Teela had regained consciousness and would soon recover, which was good news indeed. He would hate for anything bad to happen to the captain after that super stunt she had pulled. He still wasn't quite sure how to interpret it, though.

He had to admit, he had been terrified when she drained his Quickening before his eyes. Forget Skeletor--for an Immortal, Death didn't take the shape of a cowled specter, it was a bolt of blue lightning. He had been weak for a while, but after a good night's sleep he felt fully recharged.

The falcon, Zoar, joined the royal family for breakfast. It had its own perch for the occasion. Neither Adam nor Teela made it to the table, so the queen ordered a meal sent to them. The whole conversation revolved around Teela and how she had defeated Skeletor.

Man-at-Arms cleared up all the questions by announcing his foster daughter's birthright as Lady Grayskull and explaining why it had been kept secret for so many years. Randor declared he "knew there was something special about that girl" while his wife smiled and dabbed at her eyes. When Man-at-Arms mentioned that her powers had arisen early, Marlena mouthed a "thanks to you" in Duncan's direction.

The Highlander shrugged. He couldn't have predicted that his Quickening would do such a thing. He wondered how the whole situation fit into his dream. Perhaps a message that the teacher in him was born not only of his warrior side but also his spiritual side... He threw up his mental hands. This was getting much too complicated.

"The Sorceress also has something to tell you," Man-at-Arms said to him.

"Who? Me?" He looked at the bird. It nodded.

"Yes. She has located the portal to your world. I can fly you to Grayskull in my wind raider."

"Well, what are we waiting for?" He put down his utensils and stood.

"Do you want your original clothes back?" Marlena asked.

Duncan looked down at himself. Truth to tell, he had gotten used to wearing hose again. "No, thank you," he said. "When I wake up I'll have them on again anyway." The Eternians exchanged bemused glances.

He followed Man-at-Arms out to the wind raider, which looked for the most part like a boat with wings and a tail. It flew very well, however, and they arrived at the spooky Castle Grayskull in next to no time. This world's combination of low and high tech never ceased to astound him.

The Sorceress met them at the open Jawbridge and led them inside. So this was the famous bird-woman. He couldn't have mistaken her for anyone else. She was very beautiful, and she not only shared Teela's figure, she shared her daughter's taste in wardrobe. She sported a bathing suit made entirely of feathers, a feathered cape attached to both arms so that it spread out like wings, and a falcon-headdress.

She showed the way through corridors and tunnels branching off in unpredictable directions, all carved out of identical gray stone. They passed doorways along the route, some closed and barred, guarded by contorted gargoyle faces, some blank except for a shining red haze. Portals, he supposed, to other worlds, new possibilities. What would his subconscious do if he decided to pick one at random and dive into it?

His subconscious could do nasty things. He wouldn't risk it.

The Sorceress halted before a plain steel door. "This is it," she said. She was the first Eternian he had noticed with an accent. "It was easy to narrow my search when I heard about your...peculiarity." She held out her hand and a spark arced from his shoulder to her fingertips. "This is the only Earth with beings of your type." The metal door swung open.

"Well, it's been nice meeting you." He shook hands with Man-at-Arms. He would have offered to the Sorceress, but under the circumstances it didn't seem like a bright idea. "I'll never forget this."

The Sorceress smiled. "Goodbye, Duncan. I tried to focus the portal on the time and place of your departure. Some people experience disorientation, so you may want to close your eyes."

"I'll do that." He screwed his eyes shut and stepped through the doorway.

***

Duncan awoke with a start. The recent events flashed through his mind and he felt around to determine his surroundings. Mattress...sheets...pillow...he was in bed, all right. He sighed with relief and turned over, attempting to return to a more restful slumber.

He hesitated. What was that peculiar itching? It seemed almost... He squeezed his eyes closed and groaned. It couldn't be! He peeked beneath the covers with a sensation very like dread. It was.

Furry underwear.

The End

[previous] [Crossovers]
© 1995 Amparo Bertram. Previously published on HLFIC-L Internet mailing list.