He Said Always...He Said Never

Part Five


Ray's determination impressed Peter. The Chicagoan truly desired to bring the criminal to justice, even knowing that he was out of his league. Perhaps he could be useful after all. He had the heart, and despite his flashy exterior, he no doubt had the skill as well.

Then again, Peter didn't have the patience to teach the other man what he needed to be a help rather than a nuisance when the time came to face their opponent. Even now, the young Caine itched to get out on the streets and protect the people in jeopardy.

But he had a natural teacher standing right next to him, one who had a vast store of information about the powers the Dark Warrior could bestow upon disciples and who would be able to protect himself and those near him. "Hey, Pop--Dad," Peter called, breaking into his father's conversation. "Why don't you team up with Detective Vecchio, in an advisory capacity. He can show you around, you can show him...whatever becomes necessary."

The Shaolin ducked his head in agreement, but he remained puzzled. "What will you be doing, my son?"

Peter leaned back in the chair, which shifted slightly but didn't creak. "I thought I'd see the people in the community, make sure they're in no danger. Starting with the informant; if anyone is at risk, he's it."

The Mountie held up a finger to draw attention. "If I might interject," he began, the soul of politeness. "Mr. Lee put himself into a highly precarious position by divulging to us the details we have since supplied to you, and while I appreciate your obvious concern for his safety, I am not entirely certain that he will be quite as receptive to your presence, especially if you press him for additional information on a subject which you yourself have admitted may endanger him further."

Peter blinked, pointed to Fraser, and turned to look at Ray. "Why is he involved in this?"

The other officer grinned. "You have your father, I have my Mountie. He comes with the deal."

"Fine." Peter slapped his hands on his knees to finalize the arrangement and surged to his feet. "Constable, you're with me. The informant trusts you, and once you convince him I'm here to help, I should be able to ease his fears."

"That sounds reasonable," Fraser agreed.

"All right, Pop, I'll see you later. We can meet at the hotel if we don't turn up anything today. Oh, and don't challenge the forces of darkness until I'm there to back you, okay?"

Caine shrugged, an innocent "Who, me?" expression blanking his features.

"Dief, come on, let's go," Fraser commanded. He started forward, noticed the wolf's conspicuous absence at his side, and stopped. He deliberately faced the recalcitrant animal. "Diefenbaker, we're leaving."

The wolf whined and turned to gaze adoringly up at Caine. The Canadian shook his head in disgust and strode on without a backward glance, indicating that Peter should precede him to the exit.

Peter worried about the consequences of leaving a wild animal behind in a police station, though he felt sure his father could handle the situation. "What was that all about?" he asked. "Aren't you going to bring him along?"

Fraser sighed. "He's just sulking because he isn't allowed inside the restaurant. Besides, it seems he's found a new friend."

"My father? Yeah, he tends to have that effect on animals. And people." They exited the building and he led the way to his car, in which the three of them had driven to Chicago.

That thought made him freeze, one hand on the door handle. "Kermit. I can't believe I forgot Kermit."

Fraser looked over the top of the car at him. "You mean your computer specialist?"

"Uh huh. He left us shortly before you arrived, said he wanted to find one of his contacts."

"Ah. Elaine. In that case, unless I miss my guess, he has located her by this time and the two of them are happily ensconced in front of a computer screen."

"That is what we brought him for, isn't it?" He opened the door and settled behind the wheel. He watched the Mountie enter the passenger side, removing his hat and setting it carefully on the dash before fastening his seat belt. "Lead the way, Constable."

End Part 5

[previous] [next] [Crossovers]
© 1995 Amparo Bertram