He Said Always...He Said Never

Part Three


"Bon Bon Hai," Ray muttered as he stood behind Elaine, watching her perform a computer search. "That's not a name, that's a dessert."

"Ray, please," Fraser said from his place at Elaine's right.

"Here it is," she announced with a final keystroke. "Bon Bon Hai, mentioned once in a report from a Detective Peter Caine. ...Why does that name sound oddly familiar?"

"Just read the file, Elaine."

She shot Ray an irritated glance. "He is highly skilled in martial arts and--it says here--he stole a valuable ancient book. He escaped before the authorities could arrest him and hasn't been seen since. So, Fraser, how did you like the stuffed beaver I got you?"

"It was very thoughtful of you--"

"Yeah," Ray interrupted, "and it goes great with the stuffed donkey you got me. Now can we get back to the case?"

Elaine tapped a few more keys. "Hmm. This is interesting. He's red-flagged as extremely dangerous. 'Do not attempt to apprehend.'"

"Come on," Ray scoffed, "the guy's a book thief. What could be so dangerous about him?"

Unseen by either of the Chicagoans, Robert Fraser appeared, sitting on the desk. His bright red Mountie uniform stood out brilliantly in the drab surroundings of the precinct. "She's right," he commented. "This one's too much for you to handle alone, Son."

"How do you know that?" Fraser asked his father.

"Okay, I admit, I don't know him personally," Ray answered, thinking the question directed at him. He leaned over Elaine to peer at the screen. "But from what this says, he doesn't exactly seem like the special forces type. I mean, I know Mr. Lee was spooked with all that evil nonsense, but you said yourself he can't be that bad."

Robert Fraser grunted. "Shows what he knows. Look, Ben, you'll have to trust me on this one. You need backup. Special backup. Call in the man who understands him, who can tell you all his weaknesses."

"You want me to call in Detective Caine?"

Both Ray and Elaine turned to look at their distracted friend. "Now why would I want--" Ray began.

"That's a good idea!" Elaine exclaimed. Ray straightened up and glared at her, but she continued, undaunted. "I just remembered where I heard his name. I correspond regularly over email with someone at his precinct. From what he tells me, this Caine is a top-notch homicide detective and he specializes in disturbances in Chinatown."

"Homicide?" Ray was suddenly serious. "Then why is he involved with this guy with the overdue library book?"

"Well, we won't know until we ask, will we?"

End Part 3

[previous] [next] [Crossovers]
© 1995 Amparo Bertram