He Said Always...He Said Never

A Kung Fu: The Legend Continues/Due South Crossover

by Amparo Bertram


Kwai Chang Caine had an unusual visitor.

...Which, for Caine, was nearly an everyday occurrence. He took in his guest's unique appearance and story without a second thought. His only words were, "Are you certain?"

The insubstantial visitor nodded, the brim of his hat bobbing with the movement. "I'm sure. It's him."

Caine sighed. The candle flame on the floor before him flickered but did not go out. "You did well to come to me. I will see that he is taken care of."

"Alone?" The apparition narrowed his piercing eyes. "I know you have quite a reputation, but between you and me, you're still human." He regarded Caine solemnly with a face coarsened by years of exposure to the harsh northern climate.

Caine signaled his acquiescence with a shrug. "I will ask...my son."

The visitor smiled, pleased. "And I will ask mine."

***

Kermit sat at his computer, typing a response to a recent email message from one of his contacts. Sorry, Siren, I haven't heard anything. From what you tell me she's a nasty customer. She's probably skipped the country by now, but rest assured that if she dares to show her pretty little face anywhere around here I'll toss her in jail so fast you'll be able to hear the sonic boom from where you're sitting.

He grinned fiercely as he signed and sent the message. Siren was a cyberpal of his; he'd never met her in person. She had a quick wit and tended to flirt like her namesake, but recently she had been reserved and depressed. He had finally managed to pry out of her the story of her dear friend who had been betrayed and his life almost destroyed by the woman he loved, an unrepentant criminal and murderess. The devious woman had evaded capture and now Kermit was doing his part to bring her to justice.

He flexed his fingers and prepared to tackle another letter when Peter Caine charged into his office, closing the door behind him. "Do you remember Bon Bon Hai?" he burst out.

Kermit cocked his head and regarded his friend from behind twin lenses of cool green. "How could I forget? When the minister of the Dark Warrior trashes your office, it doesn't just slip your mind."

"I don't know how--I don't think I want to know how--but my father found him."

That made the ex-mercenary sit up straight in his chair. "Did he poke his nose back into Chinatown?"

"Well, not exactly." Peter grimaced. "He's in a Chinatown. Chicago's Chinatown, to be precise."

"That's a bit out of our jurisdiction."

"Not my father's. He's planning on leaving for Chicago as soon as possible before Bon Bon Hai can cause any major trouble. He asked me to help him, but I had to tell him I couldn't come. Captain Simms will never grant me leave for that, especially since we didn't give her the whole truth about what happened the last time, when I was taken to Shambhalla."

"So what do you want me to do about it?"

Peter shook his head. "That's just it. When I said I couldn't join him, he flashed me that enigmatic smile of his and told me he would take care of it and that I should prepare you as well. He's got something up his sleeve."

Kermit stood abruptly and headed for the door. Peter caught his arm as he went past, asking, "Hey, where are you going?"

"Home to pack. If your father says we're going to Chicago..." He smiled. "We're going to Chicago."

End Part 1

[next] [Crossovers]
© 1995 Amparo Bertram. Previously published on KFFIC-L and DUESOUTHFICTION.