Candid NetCam

by Sharon Himmanen


Time: 2:30AM
Place: NatPack HQ

Sharon clicked on the new link. She'd never been able to resist those pages that had cameras hooked up to the internet, and now was no exception as she sat at the NatPack HQ unable to sleep. SpamCam had been down for weeks, a fact she was most disappointed over. In the interim she'd contented herself with having an observatory in New Mexico take pictures of the Gemini constellation for her every night for a month.

But that was getting old.

"HostelCam," she said aloud, deciding to follow that particular link. It took her to a page that indicatated that they had a camera hooked up at a local Youth Hostel over on the other side of the city. "Pretty cool," she added, wishing there'd been something like that when she'd been traveling in England a decade ago. It would have been neat to see yourself on the Net while travelling in a foreign country. Though considering how dragged out she'd been at the end, not having widely publicized pictures at the time was probably a Good Thing. That's when Sharon realized that's what the camera was set up for--a sort of "look at me, ma" joke people here were playing on unsuspecting foreigners. It was amusing, she decided, in a cruel way. Almost worthy of a war.

A picture loaded, and Sharon leaned forward, frowning.

"Weird," she said, deciding that even somewhat innocent things like this somehow managed to attract freaks. And this guy was certainly a freak she mused as she watched the series of frames the camera had taken in rapid succession. He stepped out in obvious view of the camera, his face covered in white greasepaint like he'd just gotten back from a KISS concert, then he'd pulled the collar of his coat up like he'd been embarrased by the whole thing, as well he should be, and made a beeline for the nearest bushes.

It seemed like KISS was suddenly everywhere now, and she wondered briefly if Jamie was up to something. But Sharon decided this Jamie just wasn't that cryptic. If this was some attack Sharon would know by now. No, it was some bizarre coincidence.

With a shrug she was suddenly glad she'd decided to avoid PottyCam, considering the luck she'd had so far this evening. Instead, she hit the back button and decided to look for SouvlakiCam. It had been a while since she'd visited that particular link and she was rather fond of it, when all was said and done.

[War Stories]