Tuesday, November 7, 1995


THE GATHERING OF INFORMATION (a)
by Torrey Harris
editing by Sherri Campbell

Time: Late afternoon
Place: Vachon's church

Things had been kind of crazy at the church the last couple of days. The Vaqueros had been scrambling around on individual missions to gather information on the various other factions. Torrey had decided that they needed to know a lot more about who they were dealing with, even to stand a chance in this war. Let alone keep up with events as they were happening.

Now with the sun going down, the Vaqueros gathered in the church on their little box seats to put together all of the info they had found out.

"Ok, what have you all found out?" asked Torrey, trying to get comfortable on her box.

"I guess I will," answered Sherri. "Hmmm, I checked out the Knighties, I don't think we have anything to worry about with them. They have been really busy trying to find all of their kidnapped people."

"OK," Torrey said, making a note. "Next?"

"I guess that would be me," answered Cindy. "OK...well...um...I checked out the Ratpack and the FoDs...and see no problems there either."

"Good," Torrey said, making some more marks on the paper.

"The cousins are definitely up to something," chimed in Crystal. "But, I can't tell who is going to get it."

"You never know with that bunch..." answered Torrey, still writing. "They are especially tricky."

The side door slammed open, causing all of the Vaqueros to jump. In strolled Linda...decked out in dark clothing, rapelling gear, and carrying a strange assortment of listening devices, night vision gear, and some stuff no one could place.

"Sorry, I'm late," Linda said, throwing her gear on the floor and pulling up a box.

"What did you find out?" asked Torrey.

"Well...the mercenaries sure are a busy bunch...but, I didn't find anything that would prove that someone had hired them to come after us," Linda said, rubbing her neck.

"Ok, that leaves me..." Torrey said. "Something strange is going on with the Natpack, but I am a loss for what it could be," Torrey said, shaking her head.

A faint giggle was heard in the backround and everyone turned to look at the source of it.

"All right, Vachon," Torrey said, getting up to face him. "You have been lurking around here for days with that 'I have done something bad' look on your face. Give it up....what did you do?"

"Well...remember when you went to the Raven?" asked Vachon.

"Yes," answered the group in a chorus.

"Well... I got worried, so I took the underground way to the Raven myself and got there before you did."

"The underground way...?" asked Cindy. "Ewww, you don't mean you took the sewers, do you? You need to stop hanging out with Screed so much."

"Anyway," shrugged Vachon, going on with his story. "When I got there, I found someone in the club."

"Who?" asked Torrey, her eyes narowing.

"Um, I think she said her name was Amy...Amy Hull," Vachon answered.

"Amy Hull?!? The NatPacker?" gasped Torrey.

"Yes, that's her," confirmed Vachon. "Anyway, I knew you all would be there any minute so I had to get rid of her."

The eyes of the watching Vaqueros grew large with dismay.

"Oh, no!...you didn't...HURT...her did you?" asked Torrey. "You know you can't do that. Uh...don't you?"

"I didn't hurt her...I just whammied her," answered Vachon, grinning.

\\A 400 year old mischievous grin is...unnerving,// thought the Vaqueros.

"Oh, okay, so you made her forget," sighed Torrey, greatly relieved.

"Well...not quite...I kind of made her believe that she was Janette," Vachon stated with a more unnerving grin.

The Vaqueros looked at each other and, simultaneously, broke down into peals of laughter.

"Whew..." Torrey wiped her eyes with the back of a hand, "Not bad at all, I like your style."

*****

After the laughter and bad jokes about a Natpacker thinking she was Janette had died down, Sherri picked up a piece of paper off the table.

"What do you want to do about this?" asked Sherri.

"What is it?" Torrey said, still wiping tears from her eyes.

"It's that invitation to the Die-Hard party tonight," Sherri answered.

"Augh, I forgot all about that...well, never mind, I don't think we should go," Torrey said.

"Why?" asked Vachon, still looking rather smug about his little prank on poor Amy.

"Well, let's see," answered Torrey, "I just think it is a bad idea to have all of the factions together in the middle of the war...something is bound to happen. I would rather stay out of that one."

"Yes...you're right, Torrey," agreed Sherri, "we can just kick back here and let them all attack each other...then we will have the upper hand again."

"Good idea," Torrey agreed. "Plus, I need the rest...with everyone at the party we don't have much to worry about here..."


AMY UNLEASHED
by Susan M. Garrett

Time: Early evening
Place: The Raven

Susan was about one hundred miles and two feet closer to LaCroix than she wanted to be in this or any other life time. So far, he hadn't bitten, wounded, maimed, or even been too nastily sarcastic to anyone . . . which she considered generally a good thing. But that could only last so long.

"Perhaps--" She cleared her throat when LaCroix turned his gaze on her. "Well--maybe we can come to some sort of . . . arrangement."

"Arrangement?" LaCroix raised an eyebrow and then looked back at Vicki. "Another voice added to the matter? Another lawyer?"

"No," said Susan sharply. "Vicki's our counsel. I'm speaking directly on behalf of Janette and the Ravens and Ravenettes."

"One of Janette's shadows." He turned his gaze to her again and she tried not to look away . . . but didn't quite manage. "I remember. You're her writer, aren't you? The one Dorian wanted to interview. Tell me, how is our little Archivist--still sleeping off his bender from the last war?"

"I wouldn't know," answered Susan tautly. "I'm not his keeper." There was a touch on her elbow--Vicki had moved closer to her. She looked down at the ground, realizing that she was arguing with LaCroix. "Look, this can't go on. If we keep pulling the Raven back and forth between us, the place is going to explode and all we're going to have left is a couple of broken bottles, tangled chains, and part of a dance floor."

"And you want to prevent that?" asked LaCroix, with a disbelieving smile. "For Janette?"

"Yes," Catherine said defensively. "Do you have a problem with that?"

"Absolute, unconditional loyalty?" LaCroix looked back across his own people. "How . . . touching. And, I would think, boring. Janette never could abide boredom. Perhaps that's why she left, for greener pastures and more interesting followers?"

There was a snicker from amongst the cousins. Susan stiffened and met Catherine's eyes, realizing that she was just as angry. But before they could do anything, Vicki held up her hand. "We could keep this up all night. And we can spend the rest of the war pulling the Raven apart between us. So you have a choice--keep baiting us, or cut a deal. Which is it?"

LaCroix paused. "That would depend on the terms, wouldn't it?"

"Thief!" cried a very loud and angry voice.

"Oh, God," moaned Susan, hiding her eyes when she heard Amy's cry.

And, sure enough, Amy pushed her way to the front of the crowd and planted herself in front of LaCroix. Her hand snaked out to slap him, but he caught her wrist before it could connect. "What's this?" he asked, more amused than annoyed.

"Let go!" Amy struggled, unable to dislodge his grip.

Her voice quiet, so that Amy couldn't hear, Susan whispered, "Amy thinks she's Janette. Someone's hypnotized her."

LaCroix heard every word quite clearly. His smile broadened as he stared at Susan, then glanced down at Amy, who was kicking at his boots with the toe of her high heel. "One of the coroner's people, isn't she? A . . . Nat-Packer?" Holding her arm a little higher, he turned her around, as if examining her. "The resemblance is uncanny. Of course, she's quite mortal. Shall I fix that little detail and make your transformation complete?"

"Unhand me!" declared Amy, as if oblivious to his comments. To her surprise, LaCroix did so and she ended up on the floor in a heap. When Susan reached down to pick her up, Amy pushed her away, struggled to her feet, and adjusted her dress. "I won't stand for this. This is mine. You'd no right to take it from me. And then, what you did to it--" For a moment, she quivered in absolute fury, then she seemed to regain control of herself. With a look of disdain, she added, "I'd always thought you had a modicum of style, but after seeing how you redecorated my club . . . well, it shouldn't be any surprise, since you seem to have lost all of your fashion sense. Spending too much time at the mall lately, are we?"

LaCroix raised an eyebrow. "Clothes do not make the man, my dearest, in case you've forgotten. Should I mention someone's rather unfortunate decade-long infatuation with polyester blends--?" Then, LaCroix stopped, almost in mid-sentence. He looked down at Amy, as if in surprise, and smiled, murmuring, "Oh, she is good. Very good."

"We all make mistakes. My latest was in not having a bouncer stationed to prevent you from entering," said Amy. Turning aside toward the bar, she held out her hand for a drink--which Sheryl quickly gave her. After a sip, and a sharp glance at Sheryl, she gestured toward the door. "I'm certain the rest of the guests wouldn't mind if you had another, more pressing engagement. But would you mind taking your little psychopaths along with you? Either that, or buy them a better wardrobe if you're going to take them out in public. I've never known you to be cheap before."

LaCroix no longer seemed amused. And, much as Susan wanted to delve into this mention of a polyester skeleton in Janette's closet, she realized that Amy's life was probably at stake if this kept up. "We'll handle this, Boss," she said quickly, looking around for some sort of diversion. "Oh, look--is that Nick?"

"Nicola?" Amy's eyes lit up like sparklers. "Where?"

Without a moment's hesitation--the bastard deserved it, after what he'd done to her in the third war--Susan pointed toward a crowd of Knighties by the doorway. Amy handed her drink to Susan, then turned to LaCroix and hissed, "This isn't over. I'll deal with you later," before she left.

"That," said LaCroix quietly, "was actually quite vicious." He gestured toward Amy, who was fighting her way through the incoming crowd to reach Nick, then smiled faintly. "I approve."

"Thanks. I think." Susan blanched at the stench of the mock-blood concoction from the glass and placed it back on the bar.

"We were going to discuss an 'arrangement,' I believe?" asked LaCroix, as he turned toward Vicki.

There was a shriek from the far side of the room. With a sigh, Susan pushed past Catherine, pausing only long enough to whisper, "Do the best you can," before she headed into the crowd. She was leaving negotiations in far more capable hands than her own and anything that got her away from LaCroix had to be considered a blessing.

Especially if it involved embarrassing Nick in a big way.


SIDE-SWIPED
by Susan M. Garrett

Time: Early evening
Place: The Raven

The shriek, it seemed, had come from the Knightie who was sitting on the floor, still stunned by Amy's bee-line for Nick. Susan looked up and spotted Nick pinned against the wall, with Amy the pin-er--her arms were around his neck, you couldn't have fit an electron between their bodies (in fact, Amy seemed determined to wrap her legs around his waist) and there was some serious lip action going on--at least from Amy's end. Nick seemed more than a little bewildered but wasn't making any really significant attempts at escape from Amy's Frenching him, nor did he seem inclined to help Matt and Gary, the Knighties who were trying to drag Amy off their stalwart leader . . . without much success.

After bemoaning the fact that she didn't have a camera, Susan took the only action she could. Dashing to one of the emergency "Miklos is in danger" units she'd had strategically installed throughout the club, she borrowed the elbow of a leather-clad vampire to break the glass, then pulled out the fully loaded extra-strength super-soaker and fired.

There wasn't time to shout a warning, so a few nearby and concerned Knighties got splashed (which wasn't necessarily a bad thing, considering that the hormone level of Nick's followers usually shot off the scale when he was around). Amy got a shot right down the back of the dress, which was constructed with an optimum skin-to-cold water ratio in mind. Susan fumbled with the trigger for a moment after Amy slipped off Nick, enraged, which meant that Nick caught a face-full of water, too. (No, it wasn't exactly unintentional, but Nick had hormones too and she wasn't about to give up the opportunity of Nick getting as well as he could give for a change.)

"How dare you!" screamed Amy. She flung her hair from side to side, eliciting more shrieks from the party guests (it's the wet-dog splatter effect) and stalked toward Susan with murder in her eyes.

There was nowhere to run and even though Amy wasn't Janette, Susan was pretty certain that Amy's more humane and sensible instincts wouldn't engage in time to save her from some pretty intense pain--hair pulling was a very high possibility on the agenda. Throwing down the now-empty gun, she said, "But Boss, you told me to do it!"

"I what?" declared Amy. She stopped, hands on hips.

"You know," said Susan, gesturing toward Nick. "You said that if he showed, you might forget yourself, so I was supposed to hose you down. You're supposed to be angry with him, remember? I mean, one minute he's kissy-face and then he doesn't call you for a month?" When Susan looked back, Nick--dripping more than slightly--was pushing aside his followers and heading for them. Reaching out her hand, Susan picked up the first thing she could grab (which happened to be an ashtray) and gave it to Amy. "You also asked for ammo?"

"Of course. Thank you." With a fierce smile, Amy turned and hurled the ashtray at Nick. It whistled past his ear and slammed against the wall, shattering.

Nick turned for a second to survey the damage, but Amy picked up another ashtray. Ducking beneath Amy's line of sight, Susan grabbed an empty table, flipped it on its side and ducked behind it. Just after she heard the second ashtray smash against the wall, she peeked up over the table and called, "Nick? Explanations over here!"

He caught the third ashtray in mid-air, but the fourth followed too quickly and barely missed him. Susan was almost bumped out from behind the table as Nick slid into her. "What's going on?" he demanded.

"One of the vampires hypnotized Amy into thinking she's Janette." When Nick stared at her in disbelief, she added, "All I know is that I had to get her away from LaCroix, so I sicced her on you."

"Thanks." He ducked lower as an ashtray shattered against the other side of the table. "And what am I supposed to do with her?"

"Make nice." Nick merely stared at her, then they both ducked again as another ashtray hit. "She thinks she's Janette. Do what you'd do to calm Janette down. Trust me, it will work."

For a moment, Nick smiled, then, if it was possible, he got even paler. "Here? In public. But . . . she's not Janette--"

"Just the PG version . . . a lot of lies, promises, and quick lips." Susan counted on her fingers. "She's only got two--" another bang sounded against the table "--okay, ONE more ashtray. Get her to go change into something dry. By the time she comes out, she'll be fine."

"You're serious?"

Another bang sounded against the table top. "You're on!" called Susan.

Nick moved--he was a blur as he vaulted the table top. Another Knightie dashed in behind him and grabbed Susan's arm. "What's going on?"

"Amy's been hypnotized into thinking she's Janette. Nick's gotta stop her and save the day."

"Oh," said Perri. "Of course. Makes perfect sense."

Susan peered up over the edge of the table. Nick had Amy's hands held down at her sides and was talking with her, their voices low. Several Knighties moved forward, but Perri waved them back--this was Nick's business.

Knighties, you gotta love 'em--they can't believe Nick won't save the day.

There was one or two more lip-locks, then Amy smiled at him and headed for the back rooms, squishing all the way. Susan moved to follow her, but suddenly Nick was beside her, a hand on her shoulder. "Hang on."

Susan "eeped" and looked around for support, but the Ravenettes were scattered and so was most of the crowd now that the show was over. She turned and was faced with a slightly damp Nick and a whole bunch of annoyed Knighties. "Can I get you a towel?"

"Who hypnotized her?"

"I don't know. Like I said, LaCroix's as surprised about this as you are and Alma and Miklos are clean. The Boss--" Susan swallowed when Nick's eyes darkened. "Janette's not here. But . . . you know that."

He released her shoulder. "That's Amy. She's one of Nat's people." Amy Potter stood close behind him and whispered something. Nick half-turned his head, as if considering, then looked back to Susan again. "Have you tried to unhypnotize her?"

"Miklos did. But he said that since she thinks she's a vampire, she also thinks she can't be hypnotized, so it's a no-go." Susan looked down. "We're turning her over to the Nat Pack tonight--they should be able to sort it out. As for who did it--I won't let them get away with this. You know how I feel about that kind of stuff."

"I remember," said Nick evenly.

"At least one of us does." She wasn't able to meet his eyes. Murmuring, "I'll have someone bring you a towel," Susan slipped away into the crowd. She caught sight of Cynthia and gestured toward the wet bunch in the corner. "Towels for the Knighties," she explained, "I'll take care of Amy." Grabbing a bottle from the bar as she passed, Susan called behind her, "And send the Nat Pack in when they show. The quicker we get rid of Amy, the happier I'll be!"


A GRAND NIGHT OUT
by Partly

Time: Evening
Place: The Raven

Partly and Tracy arrived at the Raven in Partly's car. She had spent the last four hours cleaning up Tracy's apartment while Tracy got some sleep. Partly was still amazed at how much energy Tracy seemed to have and how well she handled the chaos that was her apartment. The second band was in full swing when Partly finally got there, and the small apartment was packed full and there was a crowd gathering outside. There were two police cruisers parked outside, lights flashing, the boy in blue calmly talking to Tracy. When Tracy saw her, she waved her over and introduced her to the police officers, then dragged her into the apartment, quickly explaining her eventful arrival home. It seemed that Tracy had pulled some strings ("It sometimes pays to be the Commissioner's daughter," she said with a grin) and got the official OK for the impromptu concert. Despite the cold, blustery wind that invaded the building every time someone opened a door, and despite Riot Grrrls not being Partly's first choice of music, she found herself caught up in the atmosphere and really enjoyed herself. She kept hoping to catch a glimpse of whoever had done this to Tracy, but she couldn't tell who it could be.

When the last band finally played and most of the onlookers finally left, it was shortly before two o'clock. Partly had sprung for food for the bands and offered the same to any onlookers who would help clean up. It was amazing how quickly the yard and apartment had been reorganized. She had then sent Tracy off to sleep, finishing the last of the cleaning herself. It had been an exhausting afternoon, but one that was well worth it. Tracy had faced her first direct attack with great panache, and Partly was feeling very encouraged about this evening's party. If things only went half as well.

Tracy fairly bounced up the sidewalk. "I was here on a case once," she said. "It's definitely an interesting place." She looked at Partly contemplatively. "I wouldn't expect you to go to a place like this."

"Normally, I wouldn't." Partly shrugged, then laughed. "But then, lately I've been doing a lot of things I normally wouldn't." That's what war does to you, she thought. The bouncer at the door let Tracy in with a smile and looked more suspiciously at Partly. She didn't really blame him. She was wearing her western cut leather duster and flat-brimmed stetson that she had bought early in the week. Under that she donned a bright blue silk shirt, black satin vest that buttoned at the waist, had a lace back and a ruffled tuxedo tail, and black pants that tucked into short heeled boots that tried not to look western, but didn't quite make it. She was, she supposed, the type of person the bouncer had probably been trained not to let in. Partly just smiled at the bouncer and waited for him to open the door. He did so after a moment.

The Raven was crowded and noisy, but not nearly as bad as Tracy's apartment had been. Partly scanned the room, looking for familiar faces, and spotting only a few. She had been on the list for a while, but not long enough for her to recognize the people from it. She spotted Nick and Vachon almost immediately and wondered when they would notice Tracy was here. For her part, Tracy was making her way to an empty table near the bar. Partly was about to follow, when she spotted the DJ in the corner. Taking a quick detour, she requested a song then squeezed back to the bar. Tracy had already ordered a drink for her.

"What song did you ask for?"

"'Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me,' from the Lost Boys soundtrack," Partly answered.

Tracy frowned. "That doesn't seem like the type of song that they would play here."

"It's not." Partly didn't add that it cost her a twenty to get it played and another ten to get it played right away. Still, as the opening strains filled the bar, few of the patrons noticed. It wasn't until the refrain was sung that the commotion began. Partly couldn't tell if the sunlamps went off, but a good number of the others did. Each time the word sun was sung there were annoyed outraged remarks throughout the club. As the song progressed, the more vocal the protests became.

Finally, the song ended and the DJ, obviously not a vampire, began playing another song. There were clusters of people still mingling and two others that Partly didn't recognize were in a heated discussion with Miklos. Most of the clientele were not vampires and therefore the sunlamps didn't bother them. Partly made her way back to the DJ and was about to request another one of her songs, when he played one of them on his own. This time the reaction was swifter and more vehement. Miklos stared up at the lights, wincing away when the sunlamps flashed at him. Partly turned to the DJ and paid him another $30 to play a second song, this time without the word sun. Judging from the vampires' reactions it might be best to cover her tracks. Besides, from the looks of the DJ's booth, he was just playing the songs in a random order, and he would get to them all eventually.

She then made her way back to the bar and ordered a drink, positioning herself close to Miklos. He had gotten a chair climbed up on the bar to get a closer look at the offending light. Berg had informed Partly that he had installed an anti-tampering device that would give the offending party a quick blast of UV rays, designed to bring a quick end to any further attempts to disarm it. While this had seemed like a really good idea at the time, Partly suddenly wasn't sure if it was. It somehow didn't seem right to zap poor Miklos. She wasn't sure if it was fair play she was worried about or just Miklos. Here she was in the middle of a war and unwilling to go all out.

Miklos reached up to unscrew the light, and Partly reached in her pocket and pushed a button on the remote that she carried. The sunlamp switched on and Partly pushed the button again, turning it off. Miklos pulled back from the light and said something in a language that Partly didn't understand. She looked up at him. "Are you all right? Did you burn yourself?" She put just as much concern in her voice as she could.

"I'm fine." He reached back up to the light, and Partly pushed the button again. Partly still didn't understand the language, but she knew a curse when she heard one.

"Really, Miklos. I think you should be more careful." Partly stepped closer to the young vampire, but stopped when he stared at her intently.

"You know me."

Partly nodded and stuck out her hand. "Partly K, Perkulator." Miklos continued to stare at her. "Tracy's faction?" Partly prompted.

"Oh, you're that one."

Suddenly a figure appeared by Miklos' side. "Miklos, what is going on here?" Partly was astonished to see Amy Hull, dressed to kill, standing on the other side of the bar, waiting impatiently for Miklos to answer.

"Janette," Miklos sounded very tired. "It seems someone wired sunlamps into our lights."

"Janette?" Partly spoke out loud. This was definitely getting weird. Why would Amy pretend to be Janette? Berg had planted some bugs in the Raven, but she had just been way too busy this afternoon to listen in.

Amy spared Partly one scathing look then focused back on Miklos. Well, Partly thought, she certainly has the look down pat. "I want you to get rid of them. Immediately." She turned away. "And get me a drink."

Miklos sighed and reached back up to the light, almost flinching as he did so.

"Don't do it, Miklos," Partly said.

He glared at her. "What do you know about this?"

"I may be new at this war stuff, but I know this. Nothing is ever as innocent as it looks."

"Does that include you?"

Partly shrugged. "That depends upon who you ask. I just think you should consider that whoever did this probably set some sort of defensive mechanism on it." She paused a moment. "Or even that it's just an elaborate trigger. You know, flash the lights, then when you or someone else tries to fix it -- whammo!" She clapped her hands for effect.

Miklos looked at the light for a second, then jumped off the bar, landing next to her. "What do you think I should do about it?"

"Haven't got the foggiest idea." She started to leave, then turned back to him and smiled. "I'm kind of pale anyhow. A little sun might do me some good. I don't think that same can be said about all your customers."

Miklos started to say something but Amy's voice interrupted them. "Miklos, we need more private stock brought up." If Partly hadn't known better she would have sworn it was Janette. "Now, Miklos."

Miklos gave Partly one last look, then walked away. Partly headed back to her table with Tracy, grateful for the chance to sit down and the drink that was waiting for her. Everybody else looked so at ease when dealing with these little confrontations in the war. Her stomach was in knots just from talking to Miklos, she'd probably faint if she met LaCroix. She drained her wine glass.

"Are you all right, Partly?" Tracy asked.

"I must be crazy to be a one-person faction." She said, "And in my first war, too."

"What are you talking about?"

The waitress's arrival spared Partly of having to answer right away. She handed the woman her glass and ordered a Black Russian and a glass of water. Finally, she looked at Tracy again. "I sorry. It has to do with why I'm in Toronto, and I'm just feeling a little overwhelmed." The waitress returned and Partly took a large swallow of her drink. It burned down her throat and settled uneasily in her stomach. Slowly she began to relax. Tracy was still watching her. "But enough of me feeling sorry for myself, we're here to have fun, right?"

Tracy nodded. "Right. I haven't seen Nick yet, but I do know someone else who is here." She pointed across the room. "His name is Javier Vachon. I met him about three months ago. I think he comes here often." She stood up slightly and waved at Vachon. "I'd like to introduce you."

Vachon stared at them for a second, recognition dawning, then he pulled himself away from the young woman he was sitting next to and made his way toward them. Partly took another drink. She probably should have ordered two.

Tracy stood as he arrived, smiling brightly. "Javier, I'd like you to meet a friend of mine. Javier, this is Partly Kludy, Partly I'd like you to meet Javier Vachon."

Vachon's eyes never left Tracy. "What are you doing here?" he demanded.

Tracy slapped his shoulder. "Javier, mind your manners. I just introduced you to someone."

Partly laughed, relaxing immediately. Leave it to Tracy to tell a vampire to mind his manners. Vachon turned to face her, and her heart almost skipped a beat. He was much better looking in person than he was on TV. "It's nice to meet you... Partly? That's an odd name."

"Well, I don't run across very many Javier's myself," she said. Then she lifted her almost empty drink glass. "I think I'll get a refill. I'll be right back."

Tracy watched her go, then turned back to Vachon. "What is the matter with you?"

Vachon ignored her question. "What are you doing here?" He took her by the arm and pulled her away from the table. "I think you should leave."

"Javier, stop it." Tracy pulled loosed from his grip and stared at him. "I'm not going anywhere, and you can leave unless you want to tell me what is wrong."

Vachon stared at her a moment, then shrugged. "I just don't think you should be here alone."

"I'm not alone, I'm with Partly," Tracy tossed her hair. "And why do you constantly think you have to come in and save me. I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself."

"And you're a good cop, too," someone muttered from the side. Fortunately, Tracy didn't hear.

Whatever Vachon was about to say, was cut off by Partly's arrival. She handed a wine glass to Tracy, then turned to Vachon. "I'm sorry I didn't get you anything, but I wasn't sure what you drink." Partly smiled slightly; a quickly disappearing second Black Russian was doing wonders for her nervousness. "I hope you're enjoying the party." Vachon didn't answer and Partly kept on talking. "What do you think of the new decor? You have to admit that it is quite an improvement over how it's been looking lately. Well, you know, if anyone could have fixed the damage done to it, it would be the Ravenet--" Partly stopped in mid-sentence suddenly remembering that Tracy didn't have a clue what she was talking about, and from the look of Vachon's face he didn't either. "Here I go, babbling on about nothing important. Tell me, Javier, do you know many people at the party?"

Vachon blinked at her, trying to keep up with the conversation. "A few," he said.

"I don't know that many either, but since I love parties I thought I'd better come. Since Tracy had off, I invited her along."

Someone bumped into Tracy from behind, spilling her drink, and almost dousing Vachon. Tracy wiped what she could off herself, then looked at the floor in disgust. "I've got to get someone to clean this up," she said. "I'll be right back."

"Get me another Black Russian, while you're at it," Partly said, handing Tracy her empty glass. Vachon waited until Tracy was out of earshot then turned on Partly.

"Why is she here?"

"This is a War party. Everyone's invited. It wouldn't be right not to include Tracy. Didn't your people explain any of this?"

"You mean Tracy knows about," he gestured around, "all of this?"

"Of course not." Partly shook her head. "But that doesn't mean she shouldn't be here."

Vachon stared at Partly a moment longer, then shook his head. He thought the Vaqueros could be confusing. "I think I'll see what's keeping Tracy." He ducked past Partly, heading for the bar.

Partly sat down at the table and drank her glass of water. The drinks were beginning to affect her, and she had a slight tingling feeling that added a bounce to her step. She was feeling daring. It was a dangerous feeling at the best of times. A new song come on and she recognized it as one of hers. She waited for the word sun and noted with satisfaction when the vampires in the club winced. Miklos was staring at her from behind the bar, and she smiled at him. She wondered how long it would take them to figure out what the trigger was. One more song at least.

Tracy returned with the drinks. "I saw Nat in the back. It seems she's a friend of the manager or owner. She was surprised to see me." Tracy frowned slightly. "Everyone seems surprised to see me. And a lot of people I never met seem to know me." She looked at Partly.

"Don't try to figure it out, Trace. It'll just ruin your evening." Partly took another drink. "Did Vachon talk to you?"

Tracy nodded. "He said he thought he should take me home, then some woman in a skimpy black dress dragged him away." Tracy smiled. "I'd be upset except he looked so embarrassed about the whole thing."

They sat and drank and talked for quite a while, then Tracy suddenly stood up again. "Look, there's Nick." She waved at the Detective who had just came in the door. When he saw Tracy he came directly over.

"Tracy, what are you doing here?" he demanded.

"Well, hello to you too, Nick." Tracy gave him her most glaring look. "You remember Partly?"

Partly stuck out her hand. Nick shook it, eyeing her suspiciously. "I'm glad to meet you again," Partly said. "And thank you for returning the button." She smiled again. The drinks were certainly helping her social courage. She drank the last swallow. "If you will excuse me, I need a refill."

At the bar, Miklos served her himself. In the background "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" began playing again. Just as he set down the glass, the sunlamps flashed and he looked directly at her. "The song's the trigger." He leapt over the bar and headed for the sound booth. Smart man, Partly thought, then turned to go back to Tracy's table, almost running into Nick as she did so.

"Why is Tracy here?"

"What is it with you men? First Vachon and now you. You're here aren't you? Why shouldn't Tracy? This is an all faction party."

"Tracy shouldn't have a faction. She should be kept out of this."

"Oh, yeah, right. Ignoring the problem won't make it go away, Knight." Partly raised her voice slightly. "You must know how most of the list feels about her. Do you really think that they would all keep her out of this? Do you really think she'd be better off without someone to watch over her?"

Nick just stared at her, then nodded. "Perhaps you're right." His voice was a good deal lower that it had been before. "But I'm holding you responsible for her welfare while at this party."

"You know, for a guy who's spent the last 400 years waffling about whether or not he wants to be a vampire and niftily side-stepping responsibility, you sure know how to dole it out."

Nick merely smiled and leaned closer. "Remember what I said." He walked away.

"Remember? How could I forget?" Her heart was pounding and her palms were sweating. Did he know the kind of vibes he gave off when he did that? Partly suddenly turned around and set her drink on the bar. Of course he did. She had better switch to drinking water before she did something really stupid.

Partly made her way back to the table, but Tracy was gone. Partly sat down and tried to calm her nerves. Maybe vampires had some sort of pheromones that they gave off. It would explain how easily they got people to fall for them.

A voice from behind her broke her out of her thoughts. "Beck, beck, beck, beck, beckbeckbeckbeck." Partly turned around. "Hi, Jennie. I was wondering when you would get here."

The Natpacker danced in front of her. "What to dance?"

"No thanks, Jennie. Maybe later. How's the war going?"

"Oh, what pretty, blue antennae you have. Do all of the people from Pluto have them?" Jennie reached above Partly's head, as if to touch something.

"Are you feeling OK?" Partly didn't like the look in Jennie's eyes. It was much to distant.

"Well, of course I am." Jennie suddenly pulled Partly to her feet. "And you're a coatrack. Have some caffeine." She pushed a glass into Partly's hand then danced away.

Partly smelled the drink, then shrugged. It smelled like plain soda. Maybe the lack of sleep was just getting to Jennie.

Just then Tracy returned. "I think I'm about ready to go, Tracy. How about you? We can find a quiet place and have some coffee."

Tracy nodded. "Do you know that this place is in the middle of a ownership dispute? I was asked to help and make sure that there was no problems. I met the guy who says he owns it. Very imposing man."

"You met..." Partly frowned. She couldn't be talking about LaCroix, could she. "What was his name?"

"LaCroix." Tracy pointed across the room. "I believe your friend is talking to him right now."

Partly saw LaCroix standing against the wall, Jennie and another woman facing him. This was definitely bizarre. "Wait a minute, Tracy. I don't think we should leave just yet." Partly wasn't sure what was going on, but she was going to stick around and find out.


AND THE DISH RAN AWAY WITH THE SPOON
by Sharon Himmanen, Jill Kirby, Leslie, and Jennie Hayes

Time: Mid-evening
Place: The Raven

As Sharon parked the rented minivan near the Raven, she had the uneasy feeling that something was very, very wrong. She wasn't exactly sure why she was having this feeling, but it might have had something to do with either the whispering that had been coming from the back seat of the minivan on the drive over--or the current behavior of those same Natpackers currently piling out of the car.

Valerie was looking a bit more manic than usual and was muttering something about utensils. Kim appeared to be having a conversation with her shoe. Leslie, who had spent most of the drive breathing on the windows and drawing obscene stick figures in the mist, had started yodeling. Betsy was holding an imaginary sword, talking with an incredibly strange accent, and fencing with a lamp post. Jill had fallen out of the van and was lying on the sidewalk, waving at the guests as they arrived, and asking them if they had seen Fox Mulder lately. GT, Jennie and Amparo were dancing around her, singing "Ring Around the Rosy." And, of course, they still didn't know what Amy was up to. The phone call they'd gotten from the Ravenettes was decidedly weird.

Sharon knew that War was hell, but this was ridiculous.

With some difficulty, Sharon herded everyone into the club. Inside, the Raven was packed, with people from every faction enjoying the redecoration of their favorite night spot. Sharon turned to ask GT something and found that most of the Pack had scattered with frightening speed. Only Leslie was still standing beside her.

"Look!" chirped Leslie, a glazed look in her eyes. "How nice of the Die-Hards to invite all these Barney impersonators to their party!"

Sharon grabbed Leslie's shoulders and directed her to a chair near Jill Bradley and Sheryl Bottner. "Can you keep an eye on her for a minute?" she asked, breathlessly. "I have to round up the others."

Sheryl eyed Leslie, who was singing the infernal Barney song in a low voice. "I guess so," she said dubiously. "What's wrong with her?"

Jill Bradley looked around the room, taking a long draw from her cigarette. Several Natpackers were already terrorizing the dance floor. "What's wrong with all of them?"

"I have no idea," said Sharon grimly, "but I'm going to find out."

Kim was sliding across the dance floor in her socks, shoes in one hand, running into groups of dancers. "Whoops!" she giggled. " 'Scuse me!"

Valerie was stalking around the room, ignoring the people greeting her. "Spoons!" she muttered under her breath. "Where in freaking hell are the spoons?"

"Valerie? Hi!" Tara approached her--then stopped short. Valerie did not look quite like herself tonight.

Valerie took a deep breath and advanced on Tara, her face dark and angry. "Get out of my way! Why is a giant phosphorescent pink squid blocking my way? I'm looking for the spoons! Does understand? Spoons!"

Tara, always one to recognize a truly impossible situation, got the hell out of her way and went to look for a cigarette. Being called a pink squid always made her crave nicotine. No cigarettes appeared to be forthcoming, however, so she tried to find a nice, quiet, out of the way bar stool she could sip her drink at.

Jill had spotted Miklos and was skipping towards him with a purposeful gleam in her eye. Kim, even in the midst of running smack into Christine Hunt, realized something was wrong. Kim tried to stop Jill, but was distracted by the glowing purple centipede emerging from the floor directly behind Christine. "Look!" she called to GT, who was pouring a drink on Sharon Scott's head while reciting the Hippocratic oath. "It's a giant bug!"

"Funny," said GT, tossing the glass aside and ignoring the shrieks of partygoers as they avoided the splintering glass. "Looks like a day glo Peter Caine to me." They stared at the floor, fascinated.

"You!" said Jill imperiously, pointing at Miklos, who was talking intensely to Susan Garrett about the incredible amount of gin that was being consumed. He looked surprised, and set down his goblet. "Yes, you. The swarthy one. Come here."

Miklos approached her uneasily. "Is there something wrong?" He'd never seen this woman before, but surely that gleam in her brown eyes wasn't normal (and who was she calling swarthy?).

"Nothing, dahlink," Jill purred in a barely passable imitation of Eva Gabor. "But I feel the need to... TANGO!" Before he could object, she grabbed him and they set off across the dance floor.

"You know, the tango is a Spanish dance," said Miklos, gracefully executing a turn and feeling vaguely relieved that Janette had taught him to dance years ago. "I'm Hungarian."

"Yo se," said Jill, recklessly wrapping one leg around Miklos (after all, she was short, but Miklos was no Abraham Lincoln) and going into full tango mode as they crossed the floor. "Pero no me importa."

***

Sharon was totally exhausted. Spending the night chasing a bunch of whacked-out Natpackers around was not her idea of a fun party evening; she just wanted to have a beer and sit down. Leslie was about the only one who hadn't moved. The other ones were acting like Mexican jumping beans, and Sharon was not in the mood.

Finally, Susan approached Sharon, who was watching Kim and GT heading towards the sound booth. "What is going on?" she asked in a low voice. "With a few exceptions, the Natpack is usually...if not normal, at least less bizarre than this. It's like they're on drugs or something."

Sharon shook her head. "They've been like this since late this afternoon." Her eyes widened. "Oh, God!" Sharon spotted Valerie and Jennie, who had just cornered LaCroix.

"What is he doing here?" grumbled Susan. "Party crasher." She'd better make sure Jill Bradley didn't catch sight of LaCroix... Not to mention Jill Kirby, but she was Sharon's problem.

GT and Kim, avoiding numerous apparitions along the way (including one that looked like Schanke and smelled like souvlaki, oddly enough), had made it to the empty sound booth. Quickly, they went inside, shut and locked the door behind them, and started working on the machines. The only sound that anyone heard before the door shut was GT saying brightly, "Karaoke is fun!" Sharon barely caught sight of this, and wavered, trying to decide whether to go after Valerie and Jennie or Kim and GT first.

Jennie and Valerie stood on either side of LaCroix, taking turns shouting at him.

"You CHEAT!"

"Lying, sneaking cheat!"

"You drugged her! You couldn't get her under any other way, so you CHEATED!"

"Meddling, lying, sneaking cheat!"

"You said most of that already," Valerie told Jennie, almost calmly. Then she returned her somewhat manic attention to LaCroix. "But she's right about the meddling! Why did you have to stick your nose in? Always have to be in control of everyone else's lives, don't you?" The vampire simply shifted an amused gaze between the two women.

"And how long did you have to watch her to find out that much about her? How long were you following her around for? Huh! She figured out more about you in that one tiny conversation, WHICH SHE WAS DRUGGED DURING, than you did with all the time you spent watching her! Humph!" Jennie appeared to have found her way out of the conversational rut she'd gotten herself into earlier. LaCroix's eyes narrowed, but both women were too far gone to notice his reaction. Sharon decided that perhaps they were a far greater danger than GT and Kim, all things considered.

"And WHY were you doing this?" Valerie picked up the thread immediately. "Did you have a reason? Doesn't look like it to me. It appears that you did all this from spite. Just because you could. Because you were so sure the little mortal woman couldn't possibly be a match for you and you wanted to feel superior. Well you know what? YOU picked the fight, YOU picked the location, and YOU picked the weapons, and she still whipped your a**."

Sharon reached the group around LaCroix just in time to grab Valerie's arm. Valerie had apparently located the spoons, because she was aiming a wooden one at LaCroix's chest. "I'm going to cut your evil rotting heart out with this, Lu Boy!"

"I'll hold him down!" crowed Jennie, though she was momentarily distracted by the appearance of a row of glowing dancing girls on top of LaCroix's head. "Pretty, bright, shiny..." she mumbled, reaching one hand towards them.

LaCroix didn't look especially worried, though the unbalanced look in both Valerie and Jennie's eyes was somewhat disconcerting. He stepped back just out of Jennie's reach. "Have you come to take them back to their padded cells?" he asked Sharon, raising an eyebrow.

Sharon's eyes narrowed dangerously, but before she could respond to this, Jennie burst into a seemingly unending series of sneezes, which Valerie decided would be fun to count. "One...two...three...nine...seven..."

LaCroix reached inside his jacket and, sneering, handed Jennie a handkerchief. She promptly stuck her finger in it and began to clean out her right ear.

LaCroix eyed Sharon coldly. "I rest my case."

Sharon's eyes narrowed. "Listen, you controlling maniac, don't talk about my friends like that!" She paused to draw breath, and realized exactly what she'd just said, and who she'd just said it to. But it was too late. She had LaCroix's full attention now, and he was looking directly at her with an air of anticipation. "Oh, and don't you try any of that hoodoo crap on me!" she said vehemently, waving a finger dangerously close to his nose. "Isn't this a case of the pot calling the kettle black," she observed sarcastically, rushing on before she lost her nerve. "If there's anyone in this room who should be locked up in a padded cell, a straitjacket, and Hannibal Lecter's face mask it's you, you psychopathic, vitriolic, obsessive, manipulative, amoral bastard>!"

She grinned. This was fun--in a demented, self-destructive kind of way. "I'm on a roll!" she bellowed. "Where's Nick! Tell Nick to get his sorry butt over here!"

Sharon stopped, suddenly, and looked around.

There wasn't a Natpacker in sight. Miklos was standing forlornly by the dance floor, alone, a rose in one hand. Leslie was no longer sitting with Sheryl and Jill Bradley. The sound booth's door was ajar, with no Kim or GT to be seen. She was, suddenly, completely alone.

She turned back to LaCroix, who simply raised one eyebrow. And smiled menacingly.

Just then, the introductory music to Phantom of the Opera began to waft through the Raven.


A BRIEF MOMENT OF PEACE
by Perri Smith

Time: Mid-evening
Place: The Raven

Perri checked drink levels at all Knightie tables, made sure Lillian was settling in okay, made sure Nick was as far away from LaCroix as possible, made sure no Cousins were within fifty feet, re-checked drink levels, then got the hell out of Dodge.

Away from the Knighties, anyway; there were other people around she needed to talk to without the usual audience. She started to head in Amy Hull's direction, remembered and changed course. The sight of Jennie Hayes and the rest of the NatPack produced an almost identical reaction, although she did stop to wonder why Valerie was muttering about spoons.

A familiar blond head poked into view; Perri headed for Dawn, her old war buddy, with something resembling glee. But as she got within hearing distance (no mean trick, considering the music and general noise level) she realized Dawn was carrying on a remarkably coherent conversation with Duncan Macleod. Too bad he wasn't there to hear it.

*<Expletive deleted>, she went and got herself messed up again. Suppose I should go see if I can help.* But as she started walking over, she experienced her first flashback. Images of thrown knives, buckets of grape juice, and angry vampires danced before her eyes in a dizzying whirl.

*The hell with that.* She headed in the opposite direction as fast as her legs could go.

She spotted a familiar and seemingly sober face at the bar. Never mind that it was a Knightie. She swung up to the stool next to Amy and ordered, "Two Amarettos."

"Thanks," Amy said. "You avoiding the rest of the mob, too?"

"Not strictly avoiding," Perri said. "Just...taking a break. Has everyone gone insane tonight?"

"You mean, more than usual?"

"Yeah."

"Maybe a bit." Amy Hull came by, muttering something in a French accent about unappreciative coroners and unfaithful vampires. Two pairs of eyes followed her. "Maybe more than a bit."

"Thought so. Dawn's drunk again. I should have her hallucinations."

"Fraser? Or Richie?"

"Better. Duncan."

"Mmmm. Good hallucination."

"Told you." Their drinks arrived; Perri downed hers in one gulp and held it out for a refill.

Amy watched her with amusement, sipping her own drink. "A rough war, isn't it?"

"Can't complain. Actually, I could, but I'm a volunteer, so I won't."

"That's never stopped you before."

Perri grinned. "So true." She took a little longer with her second drink. "How much trouble do you think the others can get into in ten minutes?"

At that moment, the strains of Phantom of the Opera began floating through the air. The two Knighties took one look at the scene before them and groaned. "The mind boggles. Let's go."

They left the bar; Perri made one detour back to toss off her drink, then headed into the fray.


FAR TOO MANY NOTES FOR MY TASTE (Part 1)
by Jennie Hayes and Valerie Meachum, with lots of help from Amy Hull and the rest of the 'pack, PartlyK, and the cooperation of the Knighties and several others.

Time: Mid-evening
Place: The Raven

Sharon had nearly completed her circuit of the main room of the Raven and was about to head for the sound booth, where she'd last seen GT and Kim. Nobody she'd asked had any idea where the rest of the Natpack had gone. She thought she could still feel LaCroix's eyes on the back of her neck, but she had far more important worries just now - what the 'pack might be up to. As the last few notes of the introductory music for Phantom of the Opera sounded, however, she heard a loud, low voice behind her intoning, "I am your angel of music, come to the angel of music."

Whirling about, she saw a figure in a black cloak (which looked suspiciously like one of Janette's) standing over near one of the chain curtains. On the far side of the curtain from that stood Valerie, wearing what appeared to be a white nightgown with a blue cloak over it. The music over the sound system swung into the Phantom title song, and Valerie began to sing Christine's part, concentrating to hit the low notes of the beginning steadily.

"In sleep he sang to me, in dreams he came.
That voice which calls to me, and speaks my name.
And do I dream again, for now I find:
The Phantom of the Opera is there inside my mind..."

As the figure in the cloak grabbed Valerie's arm to drag her through the chains and turned to stalk up the floor with her, Sharon saw that it was Jennie. She'd attached what appeared to be a handkerchief with eyeholes cut out of it to her face, apparently with rubber bands. It looked somewhat painful, but Sharon heaved a sigh of relief that they had found a non-destructive focus for their energy and looked around the room to see if she could locate any of her other errant packmembers. The only other one she spotted was Jill, hopping excitedly around in the crowd wearing a dance dress and what appeared to be Valerie's red toe shoes.

"Oh, my," Sharon mumbled, as she saw Jill pick up a drink from a table and pour it over its owner's head before flitting away to the far side of the room. A few of the patrons were trying to catch her, but she was just too slippery. She stopped next to PartlyK.

"OK, WHO WANTS TO SEE THE PERK WEAR HER DRINK?" Jill yelled. Several hands in the vicinity were raised, including Partly's own. After giving the woman a strange look, Jill unceremoniously dumped a full glass onto Partly's head. "Don't mess up the floor!" she admonished the dripping woman, before she zipped off for another part of the bar.

Sharon decided that Jill was perhaps a worse danger than the other two, and had started off to intercept her, when a series of loud crashes sounded from the direction of the bar. Turning, she saw to her dismay that Valerie and Jennie had gotten up onto the bar somehow and were walking up and down it as they sang. Miklos, one eye on the back where Sharon thought Amy/Janette must be, was hastily clearing the rest of the counter before they could kick any more glasses or bottles off it. Nick and Vachon had made their way to the bar and were attempting to catch one or the other of the women, but in attempting to avoid them, Valerie teetered precariously and nearly fell before a vicious pull from Jennie sent her flying down towards the other end of the counter, fortunately on more solid footing. The vampires proceeded more cautiously after that.

Sharon found herself wondering how a soprano like Jennie was managing to hit all of the Phantom's tenor notes. Then Jennie attempted a particularly low note in the song but didn't quite hit it, and Sharon winced, deciding not to think about that anymore. It sounded pretty painful.

Valerie performed the last bit of the song flawlessly, her strong voice seeming to find the notes effortlessly. Jennie kept mistiming the words of encouragement the Phantom offered Christine but otherwise it wasn't bad at all. Not until the final, incredibly high "E" note Valerie/Christine sang. Unfortunately, they had stopped with Valerie directly facing the racks of glasses hanging over the bar. The song ended with an almost triumphant crash, as several of the glasses hanging in the racks simultaneously shattered.

Jennie remained standing on the bar and began "Music of the Night." It was a truly frightening performance, as she tried to sing it in the Phantom's normal range but kept popping up an octave for the lower notes of the song.

Valerie had hopped off the bar, and managed to sneak up behind Vachon as the vampire tried to figure out how to get Jennie down as well. She lunged for his hair, shouting, "HAVE TO GET RID OF THESE WEEDS, OR THE ROSES WILL NEVER GROW!" She yanked hard, and Vachon fell backwards with a startled curse.

Nick and Vachon concentrated on capturing Valerie, which between the two of them wasn't too difficult, and Vachon held onto her while Nick went back to trying to get Jennie down. At that moment, Leslie walked almost solemnly up to the bar, holding a candle off one of the tables.

Hearing is believing, music is deceiving
Hard as lightning, soft as candlelight,
Dare you trust the music of the night?

Jennie bent down and brushed her fingertips through the nearby candle as she sang these lines, causing Susan to wince. Fortunately, Nick was able to deftly remove the candle from Leslie's hands and grab the woman before she could move away, motioning to Miklos to take charge of her. A quick glance showed that Sharon and several other patrons had gotten Jill under control. That left only Jennie loose up on the bar.

Nick hopped up onto the bar, attempting to ambush Jennie from behind. The music abruptly ended at the end of a chorus, but still in the middle of the song. Jennie drew herself up, turned, and shouted a line at Nick.

"So, it is to be war between us! If these demands are not met, a disaster beyond your imagination will occur!"

"Worse than this?" Vachon queried.


CAN WE TALK?
by Amy Hull, with input from Susan Garrett, Sharon Himmanen, and Jennie Hayes

Time: Mid-evening
Place: The Raven

"Thank God you're here," Susan breathed as Natalie entered the Raven where the party was already in full swing. "Um, I hate to be the one to have to tell you this, but the entire NatPack is acting loco. You and Sharon are the only ones who seem okay. You have got to try to do something with them."

A quick survey of the Raven revealed Jill throwing a bowlful of peanuts at a tableful of FoDs, Elaine counting strands of Amparo's hair (and holding each one its 2 foot length in the air as she did so), Betsy was teaching Kim 3rd-grade clapping and snapping games, and a whole group of NatPackers, led by Jennie and Valerie, were performing an impromptu--and somewhat frightening--version of Phantom of the Opera. "Let me guess; you have no idea how they got this way." Nat looked dubiously at Susan.

Susan almost burst out laughing. "Goodness, no! Why would we do something like this to ourselves? You and your people are the only ones who do worse stuff to yourselves than the others do to you." Susan led Natalie toward the offices near the back of the Raven. "She just slipped back here a moment ago."

Sharon intercepted them half way across the room. "Thank God you're here. Please tell me that you're still normal." Sharon was sounding thoroughly harried.

Nat smiled. "I'm normal. I think." She turned as Susan touched her arm.

"Natalie, for what it's worth, good luck." Susan vanished, muttering, "You're gonna need it."

Sharon led Nat to the door of Janette's office. "Amy thinks she's Janette. You've gotta try to get her back to normal. I haven't even had time to try; I've been chasing the rest of the NatPack around all night just to keep them from hurting anyone." They peered through the door and saw Amy busying herself with sorting paperwork at the desk. Her hair had miraculously stayed redone (after its drenching) in yet another elegantly upswept style.

"Okay. I'll deal with her, Sharon. Can you try to handle this for a bit longer?"

Sharon nodded, and Nat slipped into the office.

*****

"Ah, Natalie," Amy said, looking up smiling. "It's so nice that you're here; I've been wanting to talk to you."

Nat began to look Amy over. It was uncanny; her carriage, speech patterns, manner...everything was more like Janette than Amy. "You've been wanting to talk to me?"

"It's just that I thought I should warn you. You're wasting your time with Nick. Won't you sit down?" Amy sipped from her glass, smiling impishly at the other woman.

"What?" Nat stared at Amy, deciding not to even wonder at what was in the glass.

"In many ways, Nicholas is a hopeless case, you realize. Oh, he is sincere about wanting to cross back over, but he has always wanted to do so by some kind of instant magic. Nick will eventually become frustrated with this slower route, and when that happens, you'll be the target of those frustrations." Nat started slightly, and Amy continued, "If you're not already."

"Nick tries hard for this. He works twice as hard as I do at it," Nat insisted. She looked to Sharon for backup, but Sharon only shrugged.

Amy drained her glass and refilled it from the bottle on the corner of the desk "So it's already begun. I suspected as much. With Nick, what *he* needs will always be of utmost importance. What you need, and how what he does affects you will always escape his notice. If you expect anything from him in return for the energy and time and care and...love you devote to Nick's quest, you will get hurt."

"I think you underestimate Nick," Nat began.

Amy quickly interrupted. "No, I think you underestimate his destructiveness. If he is forced to wait long enough without getting to join your world, he will backlash against that disappointment and try to destroy himself and possibly you."

"You know, she does have a point," Sharon, who had poked her head in to check on them, said mildly.

"Whose side are you on, anyway?" Nat demanded.

"Yours," Sharon replied emphatically.

Nat stared, speechless for a moment. "Wait a minute. We're not here to talk about me and Nick. We're here to talk about you." She turned to Amy again. "You're not Janette. You're Amy. Two days ago you were at my apartment apologizing for bring a suitcase, two bags, a pillow, and a stuffed orange dragon while eating Ben & Jerry's chocolate fudge brownie out of the carton." Nat took the glass out of Amy's hand. "Now you're drinking...ugh...what is this? It's like chocolate and...I don't want to think about it."

Amy was staring at Natalie with barely tolerant amusement. Then she turned toward Sharon. "It's affected her, too, hasn't it?" Amy took her glass back from Natalie and took a drink.

"No, I think Natalie's fine," Sharon reassured. "Things seem to be well in hand here," she added, slipping back to the main room.

"You're not fine, though," Nat said gently to Amy.

"I am perfectly fine. You're obviously confused, though," Amy returned confidently.

The noise levels on the other side of the door seemed to be rising, and both women turned at a particularly piercing sound.

"Why don't you come with me, Natalie," Amy said, taking Nat's arm. "We should check on your people's latest efforts at havoc."

"Amy, you're one of 'my' people--"

"And we'll get someone to keep an eye on you so you don't hurt yourself." Amy headed out of the office with Nat.


FAR TOO MANY NOTES FOR MY TASTE (Part 2)
by Jennie Hayes, Valerie Meachum, the Natpack, and PartlyK

Time: Mid-evening
Place: The Raven

Just as Nick had reached Jennie and had wrestled her down off the bar, the music started up again with what sounded like the end of "Masquerade." All four Natpackers burst into song at that, belting the lyrics out at the top of their lungs.

"Masquerade, painted faces on parade!
Masquerade, hide your face so the world can never find you!"

Sharon had had about enough by now, and decided that it might help if she simply turned the music off. It didn't seem like it could hurt. She headed for the broadcast booth, its door still ajar. However, as she approached, she realized it was far from deserted. Kim sat in the chair, working the lights for the entire bar, and GT sat on the floor, "directing" the production.

"OK, I think we've had enough," Sharon began, reaching out to turn the music off.

GT intercepted her, in a lightning fast move. "No, you don't. You can't take my karaoke. It's mine. It's too much fun, and no screaming yellow peacock can take it away!" she challenged.

Sharon, perhaps unwisely, made a lunge for the button. GT grabbed her by the throat and the two of them struggled for control. Kim completely ignored the tussle taking place only inches away from her, and began flashing every light she controlled madly. The effect was dizzying, and several patrons covered their eyes. Suddenly, bright sun lamps came on all over the room, and stayed on. The vampires flinched involuntarily away from the lamps and lost control of their charges.

PartlyK was startled when the sun lamps came on, but they were nice and warm on her dripping head and she considered leaving them on. The pained sounds coming from all the vampires in the room reminded her of the damage they caused, however, and she relented. She fumbled in her bag for the control button.

In the back of the room, Amy and Natalie came out of the office to see what all the fuss was about. The lights caused Amy, still thinking she was Janette, to flinch, hiss, and hide behind Nat.

<Now, what was that setting?> Partly thought to herself. <Oh, yes; 19,231 cycles per second. I remember now.> She adjusted the appropriate dials on the device and pressed the button. The room went back to only the madly flashing strobe lights, but by then it was too late. Partly wondered if she should be looking for cover.

Only Jill remained in the custody of the mortal patrons who'd been holding her. The others ran crazily around the room, spinning and continuing to sing the song. The song finally ended, and the crazily flashing lights stopped as suddenly as they had started up. Valerie began to sing "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" to the cash register. The music abruptly halted here, however, so Jennie crept up on the bar, and began throwing glasses at Valerie in lieu of fireballs, while Valerie shrieked to "Raoul" that he was supposed to be rescuing her and shot several glares at Nick, who finally recognized she thought it was his cue and tried to use it to capture her again.

Recovering from the onslaught of light, Amy snapped fingers at some nearby Ravenettes and motioned to Natalie, indicating that they should hold her and keep her from going anywhere. "She seems rather confused. She keeps calling me by the wrong name. I think she's got whatever her little friends seem to be suffering from. See that she doesn't go anywhere," she told them as they took Nat into custody. Nat, for her part, didn't fight much. She was too busy staring openmouthed at the havoc and destruction the Natpack was wreaking.

As Amy moved to walk past LaCroix and deal with the mess, LaCroix reached one hand out and snagged her arm. "No, you don't, not yet," he admonished her. "I'm enjoying this far too much. Let the others try to handle it."

Amy glared at him, but remained where she was, only fidgeting a little with the arm he still held on to.

Back in the sound booth, GT sat on Sharon while she reached up and pressed the play button. Sharon had managed to hit the "fast forward" as they struggled, however, and the music that started up again was towards the end, where the Phantom was singing. Jennie didn't manage to figure out what line she should be singing until the very last one, at which Jill suddenly twisted free of her captors, ran up to the bar, and screamed for all she was worth, then began to orbit the crowd again. The patrons who had been holding her sighed and began patiently to stalk her again.

Kim began to play with the lights again, and the sunlamps came on another time. Several seconds of confusion ensued, echoed by the sounds coming from the tape, but Partly was ready this time and turned them off again quickly. Jennie and Valerie bounced up to the top of the bar again, then Jennie yanked the mask off her own face, since Valerie's earlier attempt at the end of the song had failed, and left it dangling from her hair where the rubber band had caught. She yanked Valerie viciously by the arm down to the end of the bar, where Leslie had managed to drag a ladder and was perched precariously atop it, holding something in both hands.

Valerie, a bit off balance, wound up singing the line,

"Have you gorged yourself at last in your lust for blood?"
directly at Nick.

"Oh, my," LaCroix remarked to Amy, who fumed silently in his grip, "Nice timing." He chuckled rather unpleasantly.

Nick winced, but continued to edge closer to the bar.

"It's in your soul that the true distortion lies,"
sang Valerie. Jennie pulled her shoe off and began to examine the bottom of it carefully, then shrugged and tossed it into the crowd.

"Wait! I think my dear, we have a guest!
Sir, this is indeed an unparallelled delight,"
Jennie sang, focusing her attention on Nick. Nick realised that he could get right up next to the women now, since they seemed to think that he was Raoul. When they reached the point in the song where Raoul was allowed in, he simply walked forward until he was standing right next to Jennie. He hadn't taken a good look at Leslie, however, and this turned out to be a mistake.

"Why should I make her pay for the sins which are yours?"

When Jennie sang that line, a warning light went off in Nick's brain, but it was too late to stop her from grabbing him by the hair and throwing the noose Leslie held around his neck, all in one fluid motion. The noose was pulled tight and he just stood there as the song continued, afraid that moving would unbalance someone.

Several Knighties moved to come to his rescue, but he held up one hand to forestall them, lest they cause someone to be truly injured.

"It's OK, they won't hurt him with that," Perri pointed out to the others. They went to work trying to help talk Jennie down, but she didn't even seem to notice them.

Unfortunately, Leslie was not resigned to the fact that Nick wasn't singing, and when Raoul's next lines came up, she began jerking on her end of the rope, hissing, "Sing! Come on, sing!" at Nick. He heaved a long-suffering sigh and started trying to get the noose off over his head, but it wasn't working terribly well with Leslie jerking it like that. Suddenly, the phantom hissed, "You try my patience. Make your choice!"

<Well, at least that means it's almost over,> Nick thought.

Valerie began to sing the response:

"Pitiful creature of darkness,
What kind of life have you known,
God give me coura..."

"Wait a minute! Who am I kidding?" Valerie concluded unexpectedly. Grabbing a bottle of wine from behind the bar, she brought it down full force on Jennie's head. The chemist folded without a sound, falling right off the bar. Vachon managed to catch her before she hit the floor, and stood blinking up at Valerie. Valerie seemed to take the flourish of music meant for Christine's kiss to be expressly for her to take her bows to, and complied, but after a few bows she, too, crumpled off the bar. This time Nick sped to her rescue, forgetting that Leslie still had hold of the rope, which was still around his neck. Urs grabbed Leslie as she teetered precariously on the top of the ladder and set her carefully on her feet.

"Think we'd best get them to a hospital," Vachon shrugged, as Leslie and Jill were brought over to them.

"I called ambulances already," Tracy informed them, "they'll have restraints, and I can ride with them. I was going to leave anyhow."

Nick looked like he was about to protest, but Partly interrupted. "I'll ride with Jennie, since I have the medical information on her they're going to need anyhow. Natalie can ride with the others. You can follow in your car so we have a ride out of there when we need it," she told Tracy.


OH MICKEY
by Leslie Remencus, Jill Kirby, and the Natpack

Time: Mid-evening
Place: Toronto Hospital

Tracy waited in the hallway of the hospital. The behavior that these women had exhibited at the Raven was--unusual, to say the least.

There had to be a reason.

***

Somehow, they'd found a hospital room big enough for the Natpack (can you say "psych ward"?). Each bed held a restrained Natpacker in various stages of aberrant behavior.

"I don't feel so good," Leslie moaned.

"Well," said Jill reasonably from across the aisle, "if you'd get Puff the Magic Dragon off of your head, it would probably help."

Valerie was bouncing up and down on her bed, as much as the restraints would allow, muttering in an unending monotone. "Spoons... spoons... spoons...." She threw a cup of water at Jennie, who was sound asleep on the bed next to her and didn't move. "Spoons!" howled Valerie.

Betsy, who'd managed somehow to get the restraints twisted all around herself, opened one eye and looked at Valerie. "If you don't stop yelling, I'll have to snap your neck. I can do that, you know, since I can fly."

Sharon could only stand in the middle of the room and hope that she woke up soon. This was getting weirder and weirder. The door opened, and a nurse entered the room. "Thank goodness," said Sharon gratefully. "Are you here to do the bloodwork?"

The nurse looked around the room. "Yes...what's wrong with them?"

"We don't know. Hopefully, we can find out when you do the blood workups."

This proved to be somewhat easier said than done. As the nurse approached Betsy, Betsy started screaming, and Sharon had to put her hands over her ears. "Where is it? I want it back. Give me back my brick!" Betsy started waving her arms at the nurse. "I want my Christmas brick!"

"We'll get you another one," coaxed Sharon.

"No, I want that one," whined a petulant Betsy.

Sharon managed to quiet Betsy after a little cajoling and long enough so the poor nurse could draw some blood, though she was understandably distracted by Betsy's loud tirade. Jennie was no problem, since she was sound asleep.

Leslie smiled sweetly as Sharon and the nurse approached her. "Hi, Sharon!"

"Hi, Leslie," said Sharon, relieved. Apparently, at least one of the Pack was returning to relative normalcy.

Leslie spotted the nurse, and her eyes lit up. "Constable Benton Fraser!"

The nurse looked at Sharon, who just rolled her eyes. "Don't ask."

Leslie was positively beaming. "Oh, you're even cuter in person! And your hat! Can I have your hat?" She made a futile effort to pull at the nurse's hair; when the restraint stopped her she started to cry. "I want his hat! Sharon, make him give me his hat!"

Luckily, no one else was quite as much trouble--although Valerie asked the nurse her opinion on silver patterns, and Jill was convinced that the nurse was Fox Mulder come to take her away to the planet of Love.

As the nurse left, she patted Sharon's arm with compassion. "You're a strong woman, to be able to stay in here with these lunatics."

Sharon drew herself up indignantly. "They aren't lunatics--they're my friends."

Suddenly, in perfect unison (those Natpackers are on a frequency all their own, after all, and it ain't one recognized by the FCC) Leslie and Jill started singing.

"Oh Mickey, you're so fine,
You're so fine you blow my mind,
Hey Mickey..."

"Oh, God, not bad 80's music," muttered Sharon. "Anything but that."

Every Natpacker (those who were awake) joined in the chorus.

"Oh Mickey, you're so fine,
You're so fine you blow my mind,
Hey Mickey..."

They were really getting into it. Valerie was kicking the footboard of the bed in (approximate) time to with the music, and Jill switched to the Spanish version of the song.

***

The nurse came out of the room, grasping her phlebotomy tray for dear life. Tracy sprang up at the sight of her.

"Stay out of there," said the nurse breathlessly. "They're insane!"

Just then, Sharon opened the door. "Hey, Tracy."

Tracy heard the singing (wow, reminded her of her cheerleading days!) and nodded, "Yes."

"I need you to stay here and watch them," said Sharon quickly. "I need to get back to the Raven. I have to find Amy, GT, and Kim. Not to mention, someone needs to check on Amparo and Selma."

"Sure. I'll stay."

"Good. Come by the Raven when you get the results of the bloodwork," called Sharon as she headed for the nearest exit.

***

Tracy walked into the Raven and looked around. Spotting the nearest Knightie, Tracy tapped her on the shoulder. "Hey, where's Susan?"

"I'm not sure," shrugged the Knightie. "Check with Miklos."

"Thanks." Tracy headed for the bar, trying to sidestep some of the remaining Natpack debris. "Boy, they sure did a number on this place." Phantom of the Opera props decorated the bar, and Tracy noticed what looked like glitter all over the floor.

Stepping to the bar, Tracy called to Miklos. "Where's Susan?"

Miklos indicated a spot at the end of the bar.

"Susan. Great, I'm glad I found you," said Tracy.

"Yes, cherie?"

"I thought you'd want to know the Natpack was drugged. Someone got to them with an LSD derivative." Tracy continued, "None of them seems to know how they were drugged, although they still aren't that coherent. Valerie and Jennie seemed to have the highest concentration of the stuff in their bloodstreams. They all look rather pale too. Jennie crashed pretty quickly, and Leslie had started vomiting when I left."

"Who would want to drug the Natpack?" asked Susan, concerned.

"I don't know.... Boy, this has been one hell of a night." Tracy sighed, "I thought you'd want to know the situation. Maybe you could make an announcement or something. Let everyone know what's happened and to watch themselves."

"Of course. When will the patients be released?"

"Well," started Tracy, "Jennie and Valerie will probably be in there for a few days, at least until Saturday. The others will be held overnight for observation."

"I see," said Susan as she walked away, leaving Tracy alone at the bar.


BAD SPECIAL EFFECTS (b)
by Wendy Kelley, Jane Snyder, and Lyn Cannaday

Time: 8pm EST
Place: The Raven

Wendy, Jane, and Lyn slipped out of the Raven and headed to the car -- a nice 4 door sedan. They piled in, Wendy reluctantly taking the backseat because of the sword.

"I have no idea how the Immortals can do this. Do you know how hard it is to get into a car with a sword on?" She tugged at her duster, one hand on the sword trying to maneuver it around without tearing into the upholstery.

"Ummmm...Wendy," Lyn began, "Immortals aren't real."

"Of course they're not. But I don't have a handy prop director around to give me the sword then I need it. Nor does my jacket come eqipped with Velcro."

"Anyway," Jane interrupted, "Where's the equipment?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah. He said to pick it up at this movie theatre," Wendy handed a slip of paper up to Jane. "We're supposed to call up to the projection booth and ask for.... Thomas."

It didn't take very long to find the theatre nor to get the boxes loaded in the car. In fact, "Thomas" did most of the loading...without even questioning what the equipment was for. The three conspirators thanked her and headed off to Natalie's apartment.

***

Time: 8:30pm EST
Place: Natalie's apartment

"Here, help me carry this up the stairs."

"The stairs? What's wrong with the elevator?"

"Too much traffic."

"What's in this box, anyway?"

"Acrylic casing. They'll never be able to break through this plastic. The TV is ours."

A fit of giggling interrupted the proceedings and almost resulted in a few bruised feet.

"What are we showing them?"

"The two worst pieces of British Science Fiction to ever grace this planet: The Tomorrow People, 'A Man For Emily' and 'The Living Skins.'"

A shocked pause was followed by a whispered, "I thought you and Selma were friends."

"We are. That's why we can get away with this."

"Then there's the audio tape."

"More?"

"Mmmm hmmm. We're going to play this subliminally while they're watching the shows so they'll get all these wonderful songs stuck in their heads without knowing why."

"You're evil. Both of you."

"Hey, you're in on this too."

"Oh, yeah."

Another fit of giggling. Fortunately, the box had been set down so no toes were in danger.

The escapade went off without a hitch. The threesome succeeded in encasing the television and VCR in neigh-unbreakable plastic. No way remained to turn off, unplug or even destroy the equipment. The only way the NatPackers could avoid watching the TV would be to close their eyes, and even that wouldn't get rid of the subliminal music.

Then Lyn and Wendy stepped aside and let Jane do the magic with the superglue. Jane snapped on a pair of latex gloves - one didn't want to end up superglued to the walls - and proceeded to turn supergluing windows into an art form.

"We'll have to come back and get the door after they're all here."

"Let's go."

"Wait..." Lyn set the cassette player on the bookshelf, behind the medical encyclopedias, and hit play. "Now we can go."

"Won't the tape run out before they get here?" Wendy asked.

"Nope. It's sound activated. The tape won't start until the TV's turned on. And when it finishes playing, it rewinds and starts all over again. It won't stop playing until the TV is turned off."

"Perfect."

They slipped out and returned to the car to wait for the NatPackers to return.


LOOKING FOR A VICTIM
by Lana G. Soward

Time: Late evening
Place: The Raven

Amparo moved through the partiers trying to figure out who belong to which faction. It was so difficult trying to determine who belonged to which faction and it seemed like they were all here. She could hardly tell which were members of the Natpack.

She had to do something to get Natalie's journal back. Natalie had been reluctant to say exactly what it contained, but the little she let drop, convinced Amparo that something needed to be done. Tonight. At first she thought, DAWN. She'll know where it is. Then she realized it would cause too much of an uproar. Better to get someone less prominent, someone who wouldn't be missed so soon. And preferably with a low pain threshold.

Her attention fixed on three people leaning on the bar near her. She moved closer hugging the wall and fragments of their discussion became clearer.

"LaCroix would never do that." said one defensively. Definitely a Cousin. She peered closer. It was Laurie Fenster.

"He does it all the time to Nick," said Sandra, just as defensively.

Amparo hazily wondered whose idea it was to invite cousins and knighties together during a war. A fight was sure to break out, sooner or later.

"Oh, come. I've heard this argument a hundred times already," said the third. "I mean we all know that LaCroix thinks he's operating in Nick's best interest. Whether Nick thinks so, isn't the issue. LaCroix thinks so, so he's going to do it."

"I hate it when you do that, Nichole," said Sandra. "You and you're Die-Hardness always defending everyone. We all know that LaCroix is a cruel sadistic creep who likes tormenting Nick for his own pleasure."

"I'm out of here," said Nichole. "I don't need to hear this again."

Amparo followed Nichole as she moved off into the crowd. Nichole didn't look like much, but appearances could be deceiving. It wouldn't do to allow this to degenerate into a physical brawl. She snagged a couple of drinks from a waiter and surrpretiously emptied the contents of a small packet into one. Cunning will win over brawn everytime, she thought.

"They were getting into it again, weren't they?" she said to Nichole.

"What?" said Nichole.

"Those two over at the bar. What did they do? Want you to agree with each one of them?" Amparo casually handed her the drugged drink.

Nichole took a swallow. "Yeah, they like to think that just because I'm a Die-Hard that I need help making up my mind to join a faction. I like being a Die-Hard. I don't have to worry about LaCroix using me for breakfast, nor do I have to worry about drowning in Nick's angst."

"Me, too."

Nichole took another drink. "You're a Die-Hard? I haven't seen you around HQ. I hardly know anyone here. Even the other Die-Hards."

"I just got into town, today," lied Amparo. "I heard about the party and hot footed it over here. It's really wild. I don't know anyone."

Nichole yawned. "Yeah, I've been kind of out of it myself. My employer thinks I ought to get paid to work. Luckily I persuaded him to send me up here to cover Canadian sports and the differences between Canadian and American fans."

Nichole started with waver.

"Are you okay?" asked Amparo, who was starting to waver herself.

"Oh, yeaahhhh," yawned Nichole again. "Just too much to drink. I think. Maybe I should sit down."

"I tell you what?" suggested Amparo, who couldn't believe it was going to be this easy. "Why don't we go outside? Maybe the fresh air will clear your head?"

"Uh...sure. Okay."

Together they weaved over to the door, just a couple of drunken revelers, that were ignored by all the rest.


VICTIM OBTAINED...NOW WHAT DO I DO?
by Lana G. Soward

Time: Late evening/early morning
Place: Natalie's Apartment

Amparo opened the apartment with her key and allowed Nichole to preceed her inside. She closed the door behind her and carefully locked it. Actually, she felt like she was doing everything carefully, because even walking seemed like a challenge. It was a miracle that they didn't get pulled over by a cop on the way back from the Raven. She needed something to clear her head.

"Would you like a cup of tea?" she asked Nichole, who was standing in the middle of the living room, as if lost.

"What?"

"I said, 'Would you like a cup of tea?'" said Amparo very slowly.

"Umm...Yes thank you.."

Amparo went into the kitchen. The tea was still bubbling gently. Someone should have turned off the flame, tsked Ampraro to herself. She picked up the kettle and added more water and threw in another tea bag. Some people said that tea bags were a sacrilege for the honest tea drinker, but they definitely were easier. She set the kettle back down on the burner and wandered back into the living room.

Nichole was standing in front of the bookcase staring at the books.

"Are you looking for something?" asked Amparo, who tried to focus on only one Nichole.

"Do you know what the Kama Sutra is?" asked Nichole. "Leah said that Natalie owned one and I wanted to see what it was like." She shook her head and then looked at Amparo. "Why did we come here and not HQ?"

"Natalie, agreed to let me crash here," said Amparo, trying to think fast. "I have a lot of friends in the NatPack."

Nichole nodded hazily and went back to her perusal of Natalie's bookshelf.

Amparo disappeared into the kitchen and returned with two large mugs of tea. She settled herself into a chair and prepared to interrogate her prisoner. Why? she thought fuzzily. Oh, yeah. Natalie's journal.

"So why did Leah think that Natalie owns a copy of the Kama Sutra?" asked Amparo, after she'd taken a generous gulp of tea.

Nichole took several drinks, before she shook her head. "I don't know. I only heard part of the conversation. I was talking to Laurie Fenster at the time. It was something like 'the only place I've ever seen anything resembling the description of that position was in the Kama Sutra. Natalie must have it as bedside reading.'"

Amparo questioned her more, even bringing her more tea, but should couldn't get Nichole to admit that she knew anything about Natalie's journal. Eventually, she drifted off to sleep, not noticing that her guest had done the same.

***

Nichole awoke with a start. She'd had the most awful dream. She was skating in the Olympics and she was getting beaten by TONYA HARDING. What a nightmare! Nichole shook her head and looked over at the lounge chair and almost screamed! It was TONYA HARDING. Wearing those tacky gold skates.

She jumped up and tripped over the coffee table. TONYA stirred at the noise. Silently, Nichole crept into the dining room had hid behind the suitcases that were piled there haphazardly.

***

Amparo woke at the sudden noise. She looked around and didn't seen anything. She frowned briefly. She could have sworn that she'd brought someone home. Amparo shook her head to clear it which was a mistake, since it started the room spinning.

Carefully, she lurched up and stumbled to the bedroom. She needed to lie down. Just for a moment.

***

Nichole peered out from the luggage and saw TONYA HARDING get up and stumble down the hall. Of course, she stumbled, she snickered silently. Idiot forgot to take off her skates.

Quietly Nichole crept toward the door and carefully unlocked the door. Silently she slipped out into the night, leaving the door ajar behind her.

That was a close one, she thought. I almost got done in by TONYA HARDING. But she may still come after me. I'd better hide, so she can't find me.

Nichole crept down the corridor, every now and then looking over her shoulder, in case TONYA should appear.

***

Amparo was rudely shaken awaken from the slumber she'd fallen into after she'd fallen into Natalie's bed. She rolled over, only to find an irrate member of the Natpack standing over her.

"Great move, Amparo. Just leave the front door open, so ELVIS can come strolling in."


END PART SIX

[NatPack War5 Stories]