Sunday, November 5, 1995

Jump to: [November 6]

HOW DO YOU SOLVE A PROBLEM LIKE AMY?
by Susan M. Garrett

Time: Morning
Place: The Raven

The bellow started Susan straight out of the lovely little dream she was having about upgrading her computer--she'd just managed to get all 32 meg running and the two gig hard drive was humming along. Unfortunately, she sat up too quickly and bumped her head on the underside of the table top.

Rubbing her head, Susan disentangled herself from the blankets and sat there a moment. She was in Janette's office, sleeping beneath a table she'd dragged in from the Raven. After all the going back and forth and vampires breaking in and out of the place all night, she'd decided that it might be better if the Ravenettes who wanted to moved into the Raven for the duration. They were scattered throughout the back rooms and Miklos had taken up semi-permanent residence in Janette's bedroom in her old flat, once it had been cleaned up and they'd installed a few deadbolts inside the door so he could protect himself from wandering Ravenettes.

Shaking her head, she wondered what other protective measures she might be forced to take. Poor Miklos couldn't get a minute's peace--there was always someone hanging off him. It was interfering with his work. Unfortunately, he seemed to enjoy the situation. Maybe if she stashed a few more water pistols around the bar in strategic places . . . ? She'd found nothing as quick a damper on mortal puppy love than a squirt of cold water right in the kisser. That, of course, meant changing and reapplying makeup, and by the time the lovelorn in question was finished fussing and preening, they'd fallen completely out of their momentary lapse of judgment.

"Miklos!" came the bellow again.

The outraged and angered cry made Susan sit upright again, so she smacked her head once more. "Damn!" she muttered, crawling out from under the table. But it was while she was slipping into her big, woofly bathrobe that she realized--with a sudden chill--what that voice entailed.

Could it be? Had the boss returned? Was Janette back in Toronto?

Hurriedly, Susan ran out of the office and out toward the bar. No one else seemed to have awakened yet, but she heard vague stirrings as she passed various rooms. Once outside, she stopped dead in her tracks.

It was the boss . . . or the Boss' back. Her hair was up in a chignon and she was wearing that red velvet number with the straps. Susan blinked and took a step forward. "Boss?" she asked softly.

"There you are!"

But it wasn't the Boss. Oh, sure, it was the Boss' attitude and hair style and dress . . . but the body inside was Nat Packer Amy Hull. She pointed at a line of glasses on the bar top. "There is a war on, isn't there?" asked Amy, voice dripping with disdain. "You may ask how I could tell--I couldn't miss glasses glued to my bar and shelves. Someone will pay for this."

Susan walked over to the bar and sat down on a stool. She tried to lift one of the glasses--Amy was right, it was stuck square in place. "Damn. Not the Knighties, cause they usually end up breaking glass if they're anywhere near it. And the FoD's would never mess with anything related to food. Probably the Cousins. Unless--" She glared at Amy. "What the hell are you guys playing at? You're not equipped to start a war. It's just not part of the Nat Pack milieu."

"Milieu," corrected Amy sharply. She leaned her elbow on the bar and pulled an empty ashtray over to herself. "What about the Nat Pack?"

"Joke's over." Susan rose from the bar stool and turned up her glare a notch. "Just because the Boss is gone, you don't have to rub it in. You know, that was some mean stuff you pulled, but this has got to be the cruelest--"

"But I'm not gone--I'm right here.," Amy said evenly. With a slight smile, she picked up a packet of cigarettes from the bar and eyed them. "This isn't my brand--Tara's, I assume?"

Susan watched in wonder as Amy lit the cigarette with far more grace and elegance than should be expected from a non-smoker, and a smoke-allergic non-smoker at that. "I don't think you should--?"

"What? Smoke so early in the morning?" Amy simply smiled. "You forget--our schedules are different. This would be the equivalent of your late evening." The cigarette went to her lips. She took a puff--

And then began to cough, violently.

"Watch out!" Susan ran forward, put one foot on the stool and scrambled over the bar (taking some glued glassware with her). She stamped on the fallen cigarette before it could burn the floor or Amy, then took the bowl from one of the broken wine glasses, put water in it, and force-fed the Nat-Packer.

Amy sputtered for a second, still coughing, then got a sip or two of water. She pushed Susan and the glass away. "What are you doing?"

"Are you nuts? You know what smoke does to you--it's like Superman and kryptonite. Amy, I don't know what the hell you're playing at, but this has gone way too far--"

"I am not Amy."

Susan stared as Amy spoke, enough of the inflection coming through. Amy wiped the ash from her dress in a very un-Amy-like fashion, then put down the broken glass. There was a slight line of blood on her palm, where the broken edge of the glass had cut her and Amy licked it delicately, almost . . . .

Hungrily.

"What's wrong with you?" asked Amy, staring at Susan, who was well aware she'd passed the point of pale a while back. "Where's Miklos? This place is a wreck! I'll have Alma's hide for leaving dirty ashtrays out." She pushed aside a pack of cigarettes. "Filthy habit! Perhaps I'll give it up, make the place non-smoking."

Susan swallowed, suddenly becoming very, very frightened. It was Amy, but Amy was acting like Janette and doing very un-Amy types of things. She knew very well what that meant.

"Have you, uh, seen any vampires lately?" asked Susan, in a very small voice.

Amy smiled, one of those "you're an idiot but I'll humor you" smiles Janette was so good with. "Every time I don't look in a mirror."

"I mean--" Susan swallowed nervously. "I mean, have you seen anyone else, any other vampires? Like Nick? Or LaCroix?"

"No." Amy pouted and turned away, running her hand down the length of glasses glued to the bar. "I haven't seen Nicola in ages. As for LaCroix--" There was a growl to her voice as she turned, "I think I want to have a word with him about what he's done to my club."

"Oh, good heavens," muttered Susan. She walked around the bar and pulled up a stool, then sat down on it heavily. "You've been hoodoed."

Amy followed her and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Are you well? You look as if you're about to faint."

"I'm about to be royally ill, is what I'm about to be," answered Susan. She looked over at Amy. "And you think you're Janette?"

Amy pulled herself up to her full height and stared down at Susan regally. "Have you lost your senses? I know exactly who I am."

"That's it," agreed Susan. "I've lost my mind." She rubbed her hand over her face. "At least it wasn't me this time."

"It's all this war business," said Amy almost kindly. She quickly lifted her hand from Susan's shoulder and took a step away. "Perhaps you should lie down."

"I should. But I can't. Not--not right now." Susan took a deep breath--God, she hated making it up as she went along. "You see, we think you're in danger."

"Moi?" asked Amy, eyes widening slightly. "How could I be in danger?"

"Someone's stalking Janette--uh--you." Susan slipped off the bar stool. "That's why we've got so many Ravenettes here, we need to keep an eye on you. Look, I'll go get Miklos and he'll explain it. Just, stay right here, okay? Don't move. I'll be right back." Turning tail, Susan ran into the back rooms and headed up the stairs.

The door to Miklos' room was closed and dead-bolted--although she noted a few scratches on the exterior lock, indicating that there were probably still a few Ravenettes in serious need of hosing down. Rapping hard, Susan called, "Miklos! Get up. It's me. And we've got trouble."

Susan pressed her ear to the door and heard nothing, so she started pounding again. God, these vampires slept like the dead!

A few seconds later, she heard the scraping of the deadbolt. The room was pitch black, but she saw the security chain gleam in the hallway light as the door was opened slightly. "Yes?"

"Miklos, we've got trouble. Someone hoodoed Amy Hull and now she thinks she's Janette."

There was a pause. "Amy--?"

His brain cells weren't up yet. She hoped his had a better kick-start ratio than Nick's--she needed him on a fast burn, full throttle, now! "The Nat Packer? Looks like the Boss?"

"Oh. That one." The door closed, the chain scraped out of the lock, then the door opened again. Miklos stepped into the hallway wearing a long striped nightshirt and Mickey Mouse slippers. "Where is she?"

For a moment, Susan was fixated on the slippers. She looked up at him, trying to keep a straight face.

"They were a gift," he said defensively. "Something to do with this 'Miki' thing."

"I'll bet." Then she grabbed his arm and led him downstairs. "You have to un-hoodoo her or we're in big trouble."

By the time they'd reached downstairs, Amy had swept up most of the glass behind the bar--very un-Janette-like, but old habits die hard. "How did you let this happen?" she accused, catching sight of Miklos. Then her eyes narrowed. "And what are you wearing on your feet?"

"I told him there was glass down here." said Susan quickly. Catching Amy's arm, she steered her to a stool. "Boss, I think there's something in your eye. Miklos--come take a look. I don't have that nifty vampire-eyesight like y'all."

Miklos walked over obediently. As he passed, Susan asked softly, "Can you tell who did it to her?"

"I may," he whispered. "It's very much like a signature." He placed one hand on Amy's bare shoulder, after getting her approval, then looked into her eyes.

Susan closed her own eyes and put her hands over her ears--after being hypnotized left, right and center, the thought of hoodoo made her queasy. Besides which, she seemed very susceptible to that sort of thing and the last thing she needed was to be hoodoed into think she was Amy.

A loud bang and a thump made her open her eyes. Miklos was sitting on the floor and Amy was barely holding a barstool over him--the weight of it eventually swung it to one side and caused it to drop to the floor.

"Sorry, Boss," said Susan quickly, getting between Amy and Miklos (Amy seemed pretty intent on kicking Miklos in the ribs . . . or somewhere more vital). "We just had to check that you hadn't been tampered with. I told you, there's some funny stuff going around. You sort of just dropped in on us and--do you remember where you were, before you got here?"

"I'm always here," said Amy quickly. "This is my club."

"But you sold it to LaCroix, remember," pressed Susan. She advanced on Amy, making her move back and away from Miklos. "You went away."

"I sold--yes, I did." Amy blinked. "I woke up in a booth an hour ago. I'd had . . . too much to drink." She leaned back on the bar and closed her eyes, as if thinking so hard was hurting her.

"You need a nap."

"I . . . do. Yes." Amy straightened and shot her a quick glare. "I'm going to bed. Clean this up--I want the bar spotless when I wake. And have Miklos help you."

Susan watched as Amy turned in a very un-Amy like fashion and stormed up the stairs. She leaned down and offered Miklos a hand up.

He took her hand, then dusted himself off. "She may think she's a vampire, but she doesn't have the strength of one--if that had been Janette, I would have been across the room."

"Who hoodoed her? Can you undo it?"

Miklos shook his head and picked up the overturned bar stool. "I don't know who mesmerized her--the signature's not familiar. I don't think it was Nick. And I can't seem to get through to her. As long as she's Janette, she thinks she's a vampire, which means she thinks she's immune to being hypnotized--"

"So she can't be 'un' hypnotized?" Susan sighed. "Aw, great." Seating herself on the bar stool, she looked up at him sadly. "Well, let me work on it a while. I can't give her back to the Nat Pack like this because they'll think we did it to her. It's not wise to incur that kind of unwarranted karma in war time."

"I'm going back to bed," announced Miklos.

"Um--wait!" He paused when Susan called to him and she gestured upstairs. "Methinks the lady has taken your sleeping quarters. I don't know--I don't want to know--what kind of relationship you had with Janette, but if Amy thinks there was something going on between you two . . . ?"

Miklos frowned. "Then where am I supposed to sleep?"

"There's a nice spot under a table in Janette's office that isn't being used right now."

He glared for a moment, then sighed. "All right."

Susan watched him leave (he really did look cute with those mouse slippers), then leaned her head on the bar. Morning wasn't her best time for thinking, but she had to come up with something. When the Ravenettes awoke, and before Amy came to, they'd have to have a war council on what to do with a hoodoed Nat Packer who thought she was the most stylish vampire club owner in Toronto.


TORONTO THE GOOD?!
by Kimberley Low

Time: Afternoon
Place: Canada

Well, I'd gotten the message back from Jennie. I was to go to Toronto. Now Canadian opinion on Toronto tends to be split. The relative minority thinks, "Ah, Toronto. A Canadian Mecca of culture and people." The majority tend to think, "Toronto. Are we sure its still Canadian?" And then there are those that believe that the Quebec federalists would have had a much higher majority if their campaign had run: "We stay, but we kick Toronto out." I tend to fall in the mid group. A little suspcious, but not overty hostile. But I was going.

For starters, I could plead for protection from a vengeful, sadistic vampire with out having to worry too much about having to spend an extended vacation on the North Hill, or in Selkirk, or at the Royal Ottawa. I barely have time for a war let alone a pychiatric evaluaton!

Secondly, I have enough curiosity to take a dozen cats through all nine of their short little lives and I was dying (bad choice of words?) to meet everyone.

So I was going to Toronto. First I had to find a way out of Brandon. Luckily, a friend had to go into Winnipeg for diving. One reason to be glad Brandon doesn't have a proper pool, I guess. We spent a white-knuckled ride looking at all the cars spun into ditches after the snowstorm, but we did make it. To the airport and into the Emergency Fund (sob) and I had a student standby ticket to Toronto.

I felt kind of guilty about leaving Angus Midhir at home but my roommate was there and I really couldn't afford the extra 60 dollars to transport the cat. Anyways, I really didn't know these people. For all I knew, someone could have serious allergies.

Like any good Natpacker, I was organized. (HA! If people can get better laptops why can't I get better personality traits? <g>) So I wasn't exactly organized. At least I had a foolproof way of being recognized at the airport. (Just for that I'm giving myself a much better laptop. <VBG>) A Senator's jersey. It stands out and, no matter how good the team is doing or how cute Alexander Daigle is, no one else on the planet would be wearing one. Hey, I was from Ottawa, well, my parents are. Sorta. Currently. Considering the only other option I could think of was to put a large cryptic sign on a hat, I picked the lesser of the two evils.

The plane was crowded. I considered myself extremely lucky to even get on the flight. But surprisingly enough, people took one look at my outfit (jeans, red mockneck, and the jersey) and they left me to peacefully go through my laptop. Go figure. I even got both elbow rests.

At baggage claim I scanned the crowd for someone likely to be looking for me. I'd e-mailed the rest of the Natpackers with my description but the only person who seemed to be looking was this guy in a chauffer's uniform. Looked very uptight and proper. Definitely could not be him.

"Are you Ms. Low?"

"You have got to be kidding."

"I was told to look for a young woman in a Senator's jersey and to take her to a Natalie Lambert's apartment to meet up with the rest of 'the Pack.'"

*Well, the Natpack _were_ the only people who knew about the Senator's jersey.*

"Uh, in that case it is me. I'll just grab my bags."

"I shall handle that, don't worry."

*I'm beginning to revise my thoughts on Toronto. What was that again? "Ah, Toronto. A Canadian Mecca of culture and people."*

Twenty minutes later we arrived at Natalie's apartment. The weather was great! Ten above! Didn't have to worry about where I'd shoved my gloves and I could take the bulky lining out of my jacket.

I got to the door and knocked. Someone frazzled opened the door.

"Hi! I'm Kim! What did I miss?"

"Hi. Come in. I'm Jennie. That's Amy. Amparo's in the corner. Valerie and Elaine are over there. And Betsy and GT are over in the kitchen. Sharon and Leslie are trying to deprogramme Jill from a certain fixation. Don't ask. I'll explain where Selma is in a second. Nat's curled up in her room. She's had a bad couple of days. First the Jeopardy theme song, then the break in, then waking up to find us playing with frogs..."

"Frogs? I missed the frogs? But I'm a zoo major. I like frogs! Oh, well, what else did I miss?"


REHEARSAL
by Susan M. Garrett

Time: Early evening
Place: The Raven

Susan set the ashtrays down on the smoking end of the table while Tara wiped down the length, singing cheerfully and mangling songs from Beauty and the Beast.

"--No one sucks like Vachon--"

"'Sucks'?" asked Susan, unable to keep the squeal from her voice.

Tara paused in mid-wipe and blinked innocently. "Yeah. Sucks. Like in 'sucks blood.'"

"Oh. Okay." Another ashtray was set into place.

"--Scorns big bucks like Vachon--"

Another ashtray.

"And between the sheets, nobody f--"

"It's a PG list, for Chrissake!" cried Susan, drowning out the rest of Tara's verse. "Watch it, will you?"

"--Like Vachon!"
finished Tara gleefully. She waved the cloth in triumph. "Done!"

"You will be, if you keep that up." Susan put the last ashtray in place, then sighed. "You might as well go get Amy. And don't teach her that song!"

Tara simply grinned again and swept out of the room, altering lyrics as her voice faded away.

"No one's thick as Nick Knight--"

Groaning, Susan sat down in a chair at the head of the table. This was going to be interesting. Introducing Janette to the troops was usually a trip (a.k.a., a delicate situation requiring the utmost diplomacy to avoid bloodshed), but introducing a faux Janette was going to be downright difficult.

Kathy poked her head into the room. "Ready?"

Susan waved her in. "Sure. Bring your own drinks. I want to bring everyone up to speed before Amy comes in, anyway."

The other Ravens and Ravenettes started wandering in, several with shopping bags. David had the club's receipt book under one arm and a calculator in his hand. "Seven and nine do NOT equal thirteen," he muttered, passing by her.

Susan grinned. "They do when you're living in the twilight zone. Just do the best you can. I don't want LaCroix getting any ideas about setting the tax or liquor people on us--if they want to see the books, we'd better have books to show them."

"I just don't think they'll appreciate the 'Mothra battles Godzilla' doodles along the margins."

"Really?" asked Lorelei, leaning across the table. "Can I see?"

Susan caught sight of Ari. "How'd the cat-shopping go?"

"Great!" She seated herself at the table, beaming like a proud parent. "She's sleeping right now--I thought this might get a little loud."

"Might?" Jasmine laughed as she took her seat at the table, next to mj. "Well, I guess it depends on her mood."

Rising from her chair, Susan leaned forward on the table. "Okay, guys and gals, here's the deal--somebody hoodoed Amy into thinking she's Janette."

Cynthia laughed. "You're kidding?" She stopped when she saw Susan's serious expression. "You're not kidding?"

"I wish I was," said Susan sadly. "You know how I feel about that kind of stuff."

"Have we figured out who's responsible?" asked Vicki. Leaning against the wall, she gestured toward the door. "I'm guessing Miklos and Alma are clear."

"Alma wouldn't bother. And Miklos . . . he's been spending far too much time avoiding certain predatory members of the opposite sex." Susan noticed several wide-eyed and innocent stares--never a good sign. "He tried to unhoodoo her but says that because she thinks she's a vampire, Amy also thinks she can't be hoodoed, so it won't take. He's cleared Nick of the dirty deed--"

"Like Nick would ever get Amy to stand still long enough to hoodoo her?" commented Kathy. "Whoever it was must have caught her off guard--those Nat-Packers have lots of energy."

"And the attention span of a ferret on a double-expresso," Cynthia added. "I'd guess LaCroix."

Susan shook her head. "No. Amy would have fainted dead away if he got that up close and personal--I think you have to be conscious to get hoodoed. And LaCroix wouldn't do anything that stupid. We're looking for someone who works on the sly, doesn't think a lot about what they're doing, pretty much goes with the flow, is looking for a quick fix . . . and chose to hoodoo her rather than munch her." Susan waved her hand as the Ravens and Ravenettes gazed thoughtfully into their drinks. "But that's not our problem. Right now, we just have to deal with Amy and, believe me, she's in full Janette mode. Which means she's bossy, spiteful, arrogant, irritating, condescending--"

"But well dressed and stylish!" protested Ari.

"Just like the lady we know and love," mj said, with a sad sigh. "And miss."

"Some of us know and love," said Jill. She'd been sitting quietly at the other end of the table. Rising, she walked the length of it, until she stood beside Susan. "Why not call Janette and have her take care of this for us? Some of us have never met her and we're dying for a chance to get to know her."

Susan looked down at the floor and tried to hide her grin. "First thing," she said softly, "is that you don't call Janette--she calls you. I think she'll be here, but on her terms, not anyone else's. The last thing she wants is to make herself a pawn for LaCroix to use, so he can take over the Raven again. When she wants to be here, she'll be here.

"And what is she going to see?" Eyes widening, she gestured out across the table. "The best damn bunch of Ravens and Ravenettes we've had since the affiliations started. We've had this many people here before, but we've never been this active. We've got the Raven and we're going to hold it until we can give it back to her . . . in one piece. As for meeting Janette--" She cleared her throat. "Think of this as a rehearsal for the real thing. It'll keep Amy happy and safe and it won't be a bad way for y'all to get used to being around the Boss."

"Which means?" asked Cynthia suspiciously.

"When she says 'jump,' you ask 'how high?'" offered Jasmine. "We dress to kill. We follow orders--within reason--and we try to keep Amy out of sight and out of danger. Is that it?"

Susan sat down and nodded. "In one. Plus we have to keep her healthy. Sheryl, I'll need you or Tami spelling each other at the bar if Miklos isn't around to keep Amy out of the blood and if she thinks she's Janette she won't eat or drink anything else."

"Well, whyever should we do that? After all, those Natpackers did start this whole little War. Wouldn't it serve her right if we gave her the real thing?" Lorelei grinned wickedly, then relented a little. "Or maybe just cow, if there's any of Nick's stock left back there. We don't have to tell her where it came from..."

"And then we'd have to clean up after her all night, after she kept tossing her cookies?" Susan grimaced. "No thank you! Let's stick with a substitute. None of us are cooks--come to think of it, we've got a number of bakers here--but I think we can put together some sort of V-eight protein thing we can pass off as 'blood' for Amy to drink. You'll probably have to slip it to her on the sly--just tell her LaCroix's messed with the stock and all we have left is the bad stuff."

"Works for me," said Sheryl as she glanced across the room--Tami nodded back. "If Natalie can do it, how hard can it be?"

"I know how to make fake blood that tastes like the real thing," Jasmine said quickly. "Really!" she added, as the others stared. "Flavourless protein powder would certainly make it more nutritious, but I think I have a recipe that works. Don't gag, and no, I don't know the proportions, I just kind of mix it up until it looks right. It has stale cocoa mix (has to be really stale, very important), salt, ky jelly (no, it's not posionous and you don't use that much), red vegetable dye, and water."

"Sounds . . . yummi," said Tami, with a slightly green tint to her cheeks.

"Trust me on this one. And when it dries, it dries just like real blood too. Don't ask me where I got the recipe."

"Wouldn't think of it," commented Susan, also looking slightly pale. "Um--okay, mix us up a batch and we'll see if Amy likes it. The real trick will be going to be stopping her from adding wine to it and I have a feeling the alcohol would be worse for her than going hungry for a day or two."

"How long will we have to keep her?" asked Heather. "She's been going through the clothes in the store-room like crazy--I'm just glad I was airing out some of the dresses for Urs to check out, since her wardrobe was trashed. But with the way she's been going through clothes today, she's going to want to go shopping."

"No!" said Susan firmly. "She stays here. The story is that she's being stalked, so she has to stay put for her own protection. As far as when we can get rid of her--" she hesitated, looking around the room. "I'm of the opinion that we should try to give her back to the Nat Pack once we're dealing with Amy again, otherwise they're going to think we hoodoed her and we've got enough on our plate trying to keep the Raven in our hands without dealing with Nat Packers looking for revenge. Agreed?"

The other Ravens and Ravenettes nodded to one another.

"Here they come," warned Catherine, who was standing by the door and keeping watch, drink in hand.

Tara held the door open as Amy swept into the room--she was wearing the long red, shoulderless gown with the leopard skin print at the bodice. "All present, I take it?" Amy asked, walking down the length of the table.

"Yes, Boss." She looked up from her inspection of the troops to glare at Susan. "Very promising. Very promising indeed. Better dressed than the last time. I approve." Reaching Susan's chair at the head of the table, she waited.

Susan quickly scrambled out of the chair and pulled it back, so that Amy could seat herself. "Introduce me," she commanded, flicking a cigarette holder from her bodice.

Smiling, Susan noted that the cigarette seemed destined to remain unlit. "I know things were a little hectic the last time, but you remember Kathy, Jasmine, Tara--Lorelei joined us in the third war, right? And now there's Heather, Chanda, Ari, Catherine, Cynthia, mj, David, Tami, Jill . . . and Vicki's acting as our legal consultant."

Amy nodded regally. "How fortunate. And so many new faces. I suppose there are a few things we should discuss, just so we don't have any misunderstandings--"

Susan caught the gazes from a few of the Ravenettes and shook her head. Standing behind Amy, she shrugged and gestured that they should roll with it.

After all . . . how bad could it be?


Monday, November 6, 1996


CALLING FOR HELP
by Susan M. Garrett

Time: Morning
Place: The Raven

"The floor is mopped?" asked Amy.

Susan looked up wearily, barely raising her head enough to look over the back of the booth. "Yes."

"The bar has been wiped down?"

"Yes."

"I've seen to the receipts." Adjusting the fingers on her black lace, elbow length gloves, Amy smiled. "Then I think I'll retire for the day. Don't wake me unless there's an emergency." The smile disappeared and her eyes narrowed. "You do remember what classifies as an emergency?"

Susan nodded, barely able to keep her eyes open. "The end of the world. Nick showing up as a mortal. Or the abdication of Pierre Cardin."

"Good." Amy swept from the room, accompanied by the swish of her lowcut, black satin gown.

"Thank God," whispered Susan. She dropped her head to the table top and closed her eyes. Keeping up with Janette was bad enough. Keeping up with Amy-who-thought-she-was-Janette was a living hell.

A tapping noise impinged upon her moment of self-pity. She raised her head and saw Alma standing beside the booth, toe tapping against the floor, arms folded angrily, eyes gold.

"Uh, yeah?" asked Susan hesitantly.

"She--!" Furious, Alma pointed inarticulately in the direction Amy had taken. "If she bosses me around again, I'm biting her. Enforcers or no Enforcers, I'm biting her and then I'm ripping out her fingernails!"

"Okay, okay, I'll deal with it," promised Susan, as Alma stalked off in high (and slightly tacky) dudgeon.

A moment later, Jill dropped into the booth seat across from her, yawning. "Was Janette ever this bad?"

"Only when she got in a mood." Susan rose from the booth, walked to the bar and picked up the cell phone. "I swear, if David hadn't taken over the books, I'd be a dead woman by now. Accounting and dealing with a hoodoed Amy is just too much for any mortal to bear."

She dialed the number, then waited. Her mouth was open, an entreaty poised in her lips, when she heard Nat's answering machine message. "Damn!"

"Trouble?" asked Jill.

"Let's just say the cavalry is on hold." Susan leaned against the bar, phone to her ear, and waited for the message to end and the line to beep. "Hi--this is Raven Central. If you've been looking for Amy, she's here. We haven't kidnapped her--someone's hoodoed her into thinking she's Janette and it wasn't one of ours. The problem is, she won't leave and she's driving us crazy. So if this is one of your clever little schemes, it worked and you can take her home . . . now. If this isn't . . . for God's sake, pick her up at the party tomorrow night. Alma's already snapped, Miklos is on a tight lead, and I'm ready to lock her in a room with LaCroix at this point. You know where to get back to me. And for God's sake, why don't you destroy those orange things Nat's been wearing while you have a chance? Give the woman a break."

Susan slammed down the phone and looked up to see Jill watching her in amusement. "What?" she asked grouchily.

"You couldn't resist, could you?"

After a moment, Susan smiled. "Somebody still has to, right?" She shook her head and then headed for the back rooms. "I'm going to crawl off and find a corner to sleep. Either that or kick Miklos out--he's taken up residence under my favorite table."


A LITTLE HELP, DARN IT
by Perri Smith

"Perri?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm getting worried."

"Me too."

"He's been flashbacking for two hours. It's like he doesn't even know what century he's in."

"I know."

"Do you think he's drunk?"

"All he had was blood."

"The party's in a few hours. What if he's still sick?"

". . . I don't know."

"Catherine? I think we need to call someone who can take care of him."

A long pause. "Yeah."

***

Catherine, Perri and Amy met Natalie and Jennie at the door, hands set on hips and lips tight.

"We know what you did," Perri said bluntly. "We've been too busy to deal with it, but we know. And we haven't told him yet. That's your problem, " she told Natalie pointedly, who had the grace to look slightly embarrassed under the younger woman's glare.

"And we wouldn't let you anywhere near him," Amy continued, "But we care more about him than revenge."

"At the moment," Catherine inserted. "I don't know what your reasons were -- I will find out -- but if you hurt him again, we'll have you for lunch," Perri finished.

Natalie nodded. She understood their loyalty, and appreciated it. "What's wrong with him?" she asked quietly.

"He's been having constant flashbacks for about two hours. We'd think he ws drunk, but all he's had is the cow blood that was in the fridge," Catherine answered.

"I'd like to see it," Natalie said. They let her walk to the refrigerator, but didn't accompany her. She felt the strength of almost twenty glares all the way.

"Well," she said, blinking at the food in the fridge before pulling out a bottle and checking it, "It looks perfectly normal. This is the only one he drank out of?" she asked.

"Yeah, we think," Amy said. "But there are two others in there, he might have had one of them."

Natalie checked agin. "Nothing else in here but food."

"No way," Judy said, "There were two other bottles there this morning."

"Yeah, we were going to tease Nick about keeping them in there after we asked him not to," Paula said.

"Well, there's only one here now," Natalie confirmed. "Could he have drunk them?"

"No empties," Marina pointed out.

"Waitaminute..." Catherine's eyes caught the splash of color on the floor. "What's this?"

"Looks like blood," was Natalie's expert opinion. "Did he break another bottle?"

"Not since he's been up," Perri said slowly. "He just took the one chug then went strange. And there were three bottles when we left this afternoon."

"Get me a sample of that blood," Natalie said, slipping into doctor mode. "I'm going to take a look at Nick."

She saw Perri motion towards two of the Knighties with her right hand; the two silently followed Natalie up to the bedroom.

"Was that necessary?" Jennie asked Perri.

"I don't know, ally. Was it?"

Jennie sighed and looked vague. "You don't understand...">[? "Why don't you try to make me understand?" Perri said loudly. Three people shushed her.

"It was all for the greater good that we called you here," Jennie intoned cryptically.

Perri gave her a strange look. "A phone usually works better," she said.

Jennie seemed to take that as a cue, and started muttering, "ET phone home. ET phone home," underher breath.

Perri gave her the dirtiest look inhr repetoire, then cut the NatPacker off. "Drop it. All I care about right now is Nick." She turned to the blood on the floor, to find Matt there ahead of her, carefully picking the blood up on a wet towel.

"Here you go," he said, holding it out to Jennie who looked at him blankly. "Fix him."

"It won't be that simple," Natalie said, returning from Nick's room. "I think he's been drugged."

"With what?" three people asked.

"I'm not sure, but I have a sneaking suspicion it has something to do with three missing bottles. Let me take that," she took the towel from Jennie, "back to the lab and run a few tests."

"Nat, the party.." Jennie reminded, gazing around the apartment as if she'd never seen it before.

Natalie looked at the stubborn, worried Knightie faces surrounding her. "Nick comes first, Jennie," she said.

"Right," Jennie said after a long moment.

"I'll call you as soon as I have something," Natalie told the Knighties.

They just nodded, and watched the two leave.

***

Judging by how fast they answered the phone, someone must have been sitting on it. "This is Natalie," she told a nameless Knightie.

Said nameless Knightie immediately yelled, "Perri! Catherine!"

"What's wrong with Nick," a voice demanded a second later.

"Is this Perri or Catherine?"

"Neither, they're with Nick. It's Amy. Um, Amy Denton."

"How is he?"

"Weird. Very weird. And getting weirder. What's wrong with him?"

Natalie sat back in her chair. "The blood you found on the floor was laced with traces of something that resembles litovuterine."

"The so-called cure."

"Yes. But this is a different concoction; I can't begin to guess what the effects will be. But you need to feed him on pure blood."

"We did. With the other bottle, the one you took."

"I know that was pure," Natalie said. "But it made it worse. The only thing I can think of that has never hurt Nick is..." she stopped, then forced herself to say, "human blood."

Amy paused for a long time. "Well, there are lots of donors around here," she said reluctantly.

"No!" Natalie stopped her. "I'm on my way over with some blood packs. Just keep him there until I come."

"Okay," Amy said. "We'll be here." She hung up without another word. Natalie started to be angry at the rudeness, but gave it up.

***

A half-hour later, Natalie was sitting next to Nick, who had aparently worked his way up to the sixteenth century, judging from the babbling about Elizabeth Regina. Natalie set up an IV, extremely concious of the Knighties clustered around the bed, watching suspiciously and worridly.

"How long will it take?" Judith asked.

"Shouldn't be too long, with his metabolism," Nat answered, starting the IV.

"Good," Perri said, then turned around. "Everyone out and get ready for the party."

"The party?"

"Yes, the party," she said firmly. "Whoever did this to Nick, we're not going to give him or her the satisfaction of taking us out of action. We're going to the party. All of us," she finished, looking down at Nick.

"You tell them, Perri."

"Nick!" Perri, Catherine and Amy leaned over him anxiously as he opened his eyes and looked around groggily.

"Last time I looked," he answered, before looking up at Nat. "Good evening, Dr. Lambert."

"Hello, Detective Knight," she answered, shooting a guilty look at the three Knighties, all of whom stared back impassively. "I was in the neighborhood and heard you needed some medical care."

"Oh really?" He sat up, running his hands through his hair. "Ah, ladies, what's going on? I was...remembering."

They started to explain, then realized how much time it would take. "Get ready for the party, Nick," Amy said. "You're going to need all of your strength. We'll explain on the way to the Raven."

They headed for the door, pausing pointedly for Natalie to join them. She went after a backwards look at Nick.

"Natalie?" he called after her. "Thanks for your help with...whatever it was."

She bit her lip. "You're welcome. I'll see you at the Raven."

And twenty pairs of Knightie eyes followed her to the door.


END PART FIVE

[NatPack War5 Stories]