Saturday, November 18, 1995


AND WHERE WERE YOU ON THE NIGHT IN QUESTION, MS. LESLIE?
by Laura B. Waskey

Time: Early morning
Place: The Raven

Cousin Laura looked around the shambles of The Raven. The plan had worked, and it was all because of Cousin Candice. Now, she had her own agenda to accomplish. Yes, it had been a fun party to crash, as it had reminded her of her Navy days during Desert Storm, storming the beaches and all. (There was nothing like the smell of napalm in the morning.) Yes, she was an adrenaline junkie, maybe she ought to become a Merc--not! Being a Cousin was much more fun and if you ever got into a serious jam, LaCroix was there to bail you out. She didn't know if the Merc Guild could claim that nor could they protect you like a 2,000 year-old vampire could. Plus, Uncle did have the cutest as....

Someone bumped into her and saved this from becoming an X-rated post. (At least Natpacker Jill was right in that respect.) Jill, yes, that name reminded her of her last mission: to find Natpackers Leslie and Jill in this mess and question them about the break-in at her house.

Looking around the room, she spotted them and began making her way toward them with lethal intent. All the while muttering to herself: "I'll teach them to steal my 'Moon over Miami' tapes!"

Leslie saw her first and grabbed Jill's arm to get her attention.

"What?" Jill said and turned in the direction Leslie was motioning. Then Jill saw it. (Oh, crud, it was Cousin Laura and she had that look in her eye again. The same murderous look she had when she had kidnapped Leslie and Jill.)

"Run for your life," Leslie cried and took off in the opposite direction that Laura was coming in. Jill was right behind her.

Laura saw them run. (Guess that answered her question about if they were guilty. Innocent people do not run.) She had learned that at the police academy. (Just look at O.J. Simpson and the famous Bronco ride. Whoops, she was getting off track again.)

Suddenly Laura stopped and bent down to take off her pumps. (No sense in ruining good Italian shoes in the chase scene.) Then she took off after them.

Leslie and Jill had run towards the back of The Raven and were heading in the direction of the cellar. Luckily for Cousin Laura (and unluckily for Leslie and Jill), she had spent a lot of time at The Raven these past few weeks and knew the layout of the club much better than the two Natpackers.

Next thing you know, Leslie and Jill had nowhere to run anymore. It was either go down into the cellar or face Cousin Laura's wrath. Jill and Leslie looked at each other, then at the cellar door. They had heard horrible stories about the cellar. (No way they were going down there, they'd rather deal with Laura than a bunch of vampires.)

Laura slowly walked up to the pair, seeing that they had nowhere else to run.

"Running for a reason, ladies?" Laura growled.

"We know that look by now, Laura, and we weren't about to 'visit' LaCroix again," Leslie said, and Jill nodded in agreement.

"I had no intention of making you visit Uncle again, unless of course you two don't tell me the truth. And I do have one *very* important question for you two." While she was speaking, Laura moved in closer so she was just inches away from Leslie's and Jill's faces.

"Who in the hell broke into my house and stole my tapes?" Laura screamed.

"There was a reason," Leslie moaned. (Gosh, they were in trouble now. Laura's tapes were almost as precious to her as her cats.)

"Ah, so you admit it." Laura smiled and thought of the best revenge she could to make them pay for their crime.

"It was because of the vampire hunters and Natalie," Jill tried explaining.

"You both know I could care less about Nicky-boy's little pet, that is no excuse. And I thought we all were friends, I mean remember Crescent City?" Looking at Jill, Laura said, "We followed LaCroix around that entire weekend and extolled the virtues on him working out on a Stairmaster. I mean the Venerable Object has to get toned somehow!"

"We're sorry about your tapes," Leslie said.

"And the 'Kick me' sign," Jill added.

"Forgive us and let's go back to being friends?" Leslie asked.

"Well, maybe, but what do I get out of the deal?" Laura asked, a true Cousin to the end.

"How about I write a love story and have LaCroix fall in love with a certain redhead?" Jill inquired. (Jill knew that Laura loved her fiction and her greatest dream was for LaCroix to fall in love with a mortal. It would teach him a lesson. Laura never considered Fleur a true love of LaCroix's.)

"Well, I guess that would be okay," Laura stated while tossing her long red hair. "Okay, deal, Jill." Jill sighed in relief; she was off the hook.

Now Laura looked at Leslie. "So, what are you going to do to apologize?"

"I know, how about I take you to the XFiles Convention next weekend so we can meet Chris Carter?" That should do it, Leslie thought.

"Just the XFiles Convention?" Laura asked.

"Okay, the XFiles Con and Planet Hollywood NYC." Leslie caved in and thought that finally that would make Laura happy. She would have promised almost anything to avoid seeing LaCroix again. She didn't love the man's butt as much as Jill and Laura did.

"Great, deal." That problem taken care of, all of them shook hands and then hugged to seal the pact.

"I'm so glad the war is nearly over...so we can go back to being friends again," Laura said as she smiled at her two friends. Maybe Natpackers weren't too bad after all. The three walked away from the cellar door and back into the main area of The Raven to continue partying...

That is until next year, ladies...and then watch out! Cousins may forgive, but they NEVER forget!


KISSING COUSINS
by Laura B. Waskey

Time: Very early morning
Place: The Raven

"Oh, gosh, here she goes again," cried Ravenette Sheryl.

The "she" Sheryl was referring to was Cousin Laura who was dancing her way across The Raven's bartop. The Doors' song, "Roadhouse Blues," blared in the background. (Laura was a huge Doors fan.) Laura was wearing a black mini skirt and tank top and could have quite easily passed for one of the strippers in the old Raven that LaCroix had been running. Laura grinded to the beat of the music.

"Get her down from there," Leslie declared, "before she falls down and breaks her neck!" Laura's friends, Leslie, Jill and Sheryl were watching their very drunk friend dance her way around the bartop and back again, while Jim Morrison's voice belted out:

"Yeah, we're going to the Roadhouse and going
have a real good time.
... Do it, honey, do it!"

"I give up, you get her down," slurred a very inebriated Sheryl.

"I vant gin....Miklos!!" she screamed and went off in the direction of The Raven's bartender.

Leslie and Jill were the only ones left who showed any concern for their very drunk friend. Most of the other patrons at The Raven were also too drunk to care or slowly making their way out the door to go home and get some well deserved sleep. And Jim kept singing:

"Let it roll, baby roll.."

"I *love* that man!" Laura said as she danced past Leslie and Jill.

(Laura did not usaully drink for this very reason. She liked to dance when she got ripped and usually got up on the nearest piece of furniture to demonstrate that fact. The other thing she did when she got drunk, well...let's just hope THAT doesn't happen.)

Jill wisely decided to give up like Sheryl and went in search of some booze herself. Leslie, the only non-drinker in the group, stayed and decided to help Laura, no matter what.

"Come on, Laura, get down." She motioned for Laura to get off the bartop.

"No way, Les...hey, have you seen my tattoo?" (Yes, the other thing that Laura liked to do was show off her tattoo when she was drunk. Get your minds out of the gutter, people.) But, the only problem was that her tattoo was on her hip and in order to do that she would have to pull her skirt up....

Laura fell off the bartop as Leslie dragged her down to prevent that scene from happening. (This is a PG-13 List.)

"Oopsiey, daisy!" Laura cried.

"Laura, why don't you go sit in the corner for awhile?" Leslie advised her friend.

"Okey-doikey." And Cousin Laura trotted off to a corner and Leslie returned to the Natpack and relative calm.

As Laura sat down, she noticed that Uncle was also in this particular corner. Finally, it was her chance to talk to LaCroix alone. So, being the good Cousin she was and too drunk to care for her own safety, she made her way over to the table where LaCroix was and plopped right down in his...lap! (Another thing I do when I'm drunk. I'm a friendly drunk.)

"Uncle!" she cried and threw her arms around his neck.

Poor LaCroix had had enough of these women and this silly War. He tried to get Cousin Laura off of him, but even his vampire strength couldn't dislodge a woman on a mission. No, correction, a drunk woman on a mission.

"Uncle, no, Lucien, you really didn't love that awful Fleur, did you?" Cousin Laura whispered. Laura had asked a version of this question at Crescent City and had not been pleased with the response.

Uncle growled and bared his teeth. Laura just sighed and batted her eyelashes at him. Drunks have no sense of fear or self-preservation.

"Please, Uncle, you can tell me. After all, I did whatever you asked for this War."

"Just like a mortal should, ma petite," LaCroix responded.

"But, surely after all these years, you are ready for love again...aren't you? ...Hey, do you like redheads?" And for emphasis, she tossed her long red hair in a very Marcia Brady-like fashion. "Do ya, uh, uh?" Laura asked breathlessly.

(Merde, Lucien hated this obsesssion these women seemed to have for him. It made him feel so cheap, so used, so...hey, that wasn't so bad. Maybe he could use this to his advantage; just like his butt, this could be useful at some point.)

"I *love* red hair, mon petite chou-chou," and Lucien gently touched Cousin Laura's face. (It was a dream come true...)

In her drunken state, Laura decided to go for broke. No guts, no glory, she always said. "My red hair?" she whispered.

"Oui, only yours," LaCroix answered.

"Yes, yes, yes!" And with that Laura planted a lip-lock on old Lucien that would have melted most mortal men. However, Lucien wasn't mortal.

From across the room, Sheryl suddenly noticed that a certain redhead was...making out with...LaCroix. (No, it couldn't be, even Laura wasn't that crazy.) Suddenly the pair came up for air and Sheryl saw the woman's face. It was Laura. "Sh*t!" and Sheryl bolted in the couple's direction.

Laura was in heaven. Kissing Uncle. It was all her dreams come true. Then she felt his mouth on her neck; THAT sobered her up real quick. She jumped about 2 feet in the air and out of LaCroix'a arms. Lucien on the other hand had a dazed look on his face. (Where had his dinner gone?) Sheryl reached Laura just as LaCroix grabbed for her to finish the deed, and pulled her away from the very vamped out Lucien.

"You better get out of here, chica, if you know what is good for you," Sheryl stated as she dragged Laura away from LaCroix's clutches.

"But, I vant him, Sherri...." Laura wailed.

"You want to be dead then? No more fun in the sun, no more trips to Australia for the sunbaking or surfing? Then go ahead and go back to him. And remember you have to drink blood." (Sheryl had a point, Laura was after all a devout vegetarian and the thought of drinking any type of blood, animal or human, made her stomach roll.)

Being an ever practical Cousin, Laura decided this was a good time to leave the party and go home. So, quickly and without saying any goodbyes she walked--no, make that ran--out the door of The Raven and jumped into the first taxi she saw.

"The airport and quick!"

Laura just hoped LaCroix would forget about this entire incident and hoped she made it home before Uncle decided to come looking for his dinner.

Lucien LaCroix sat back in his chair and watched the remaining people in The Raven, which would be turned back over to him today by midnight by those annoying Ravenettes. The War was over and he couldn't wait to have these pesky mortals out of HIS club. (It would be good to have things back to normal.) Blocking out the noise around him, he absentmindly stroked his ring and thought about red hair....


FLIGHTS EXPECTED
by Selma McCrory

Time: Night
Place: Airport, in the air

She was waiting.

The flight was a little late, which did not bother someone whose sleeping schedule had gone wonky. She looked at her book, kind of half-reading it, half-watching the rest of the passengers. It was her normal routine when waiting for any kind of transportation, and it worked really well. Someone sat down in the seat next to her. She instinctively looked up, automatically scanning the person beside her to see if they were any threat, or if she had to move something. A startled gasp arose from her as she registered who it was.

"I didn't expect to find *you* here," she hissed at the male beside her.

"What can I say? I didn't expect to see you here, either. I was going to fly to Sacramento to see you! It was pure coincidence that we took the same flight."

"Riiight."

"Besides, this way we can get over any disputes on the way, and I can stop being hit over the head."

"Oh, yeah."

They called the flight. Since the seats were unreserved, Vince and Selma ended up next to each other. Vince had been running around, "sampling" the local nightlife. Selma told him that she hoped he'd found a child more willing than her. He told her he hadn't, but he understood her better now. He would wait until she was ready.

"Oh, and one more thing," he said. "No more wars. Please."

Selma shrugged.

Selma told him about the acrillic, the superglue, and the VCR. She'd gotten back with Wendy before the party, and the two had made up. In fact, Wendy had lent her some Tomorrow People tapes and an address to return them to. And she'd attempted to set the list back to normal, except for the fact that it was out-of-order while Mark tried to fix the site. "Oh, well."

"And you're going to post this story you've got?"

"Well, I posted it to the Highlander list, but I certainly didn't want to post it to the TP list while it was sending ten copies of everything. So, when Tardis comes back up, I'll post the story on there."

He sighed.

And off they rode, into the sunset.


Sunday, November 19, 1995


HOME AGAIN
by Kimberley Low

Place: Toronto to Brandon

I woke up in Nat's apartment.

God only knows how we got back here. I guess I should think about getting home. And for that matter getting the cats home. The emergency account is going to take a beating today.

I got up and started packing. There was one thing missing. Halloween. Angus was fine and normal. At least normal for Angus.

"So Angus, where's Halloween?"

"Mew-ow."

"You're helpful."

Thirty minutes of frantic searching later I decided to call home.

"Hi, Dad! How's everything there?"

"Oh, fine, everyone's doing well."

"Dad, you're lying. You're just about as bad at it as I am. It's one of those genetic things."

"Well, Halloween had been gone for about a week but he showed up this morning and he looked like he had been taken care of."

"So he's home?"

"Yeah, he gave your mother quite a fright but everything's fine now. So how's school?"

I wasn't kidding about my problems with lying, especially to my parents.

"Oh... About as well as can be expected."

Don't I remember explaining equivocation to my sister when she was taking MacBeth?

"Have you gotten any tests back lately?"

"I can honestly say that I haven't. I really have to go now. I just called because I wasn't sure if I'd get another chance today."

"OK. Take care."

"Bye, give my love to Mom and Trace."

So Halloween was home. I had no idea how he got there but I wasn't going to try and figure it out. I had had quite enough weirdness to last me for the longest time. Or at least until the next war.


SO LONG, FAREWELL...UNTIL...
by Leslie

Time: Noon
Place: Nat's Apartment

"I never want to hear another song from the Sound of Music as long as I live," complained Leslie. "In fact, I'm burning the soundtrack when I get home. Besides, I don't want to ever have to yodel again."

Leslie was packing for the drive home. She wasn't sure if Sharon was up for the drive home with her. Heck, she wasn't sure she was up for it. In the last two weeks, Leslie had been stalked, brought before LaCroix, drugged, and cornered by one two many angry cousins.

"I can't believe Laura finagled another convention out of me, not that it will be a *chore* to go. Besides she'd get a chance to see Sheila and Sarah, and Sharon if she promised not to sing or halucinate," Leslie smiled to herself. "And poor Jill, she has to write a LaCroix love story."

Now it was time for last minute good byes. It *had* been a nice little war.


DON'T KNOW HOW TO SAY GOODBYE
by Jennie Hayes (and the Natpack)

Time: Noon
Place: Natalie's apartment

Natalie Lambert looked up the stairs of her apartment building, not quite managing the surprise one might otherwise expect. Natpackers perched everywhere on the stairs, chatting animatedly.

"I thought you all intended to leave over three hours ago," Nat said with a smile. "So what is all this?"

"Well, we got out of your apartment about an hour and a half ago...and the cars are all packed!" Amy said brightly. "Betsy and Amparo left in a limo the other night, and we got a rental car to replace Di's."

"And GT rented a car to take herself, Elaine, Selma and Kim where they needed to go when the time came. They'd planned to spend the day in the city." Leslie added.

"Yeah, and then we started talking. I'd say this isn't quite as bad as the lengthy conversation we had in the bathroom at the end of MediaWest. It's this problem we have with saying goodbye and going home," Jennie explained. "We never want it to end."

"Well, this time it was a good thing you didn't head straight out. Sharon, could I see your bag first?" Nat replied.

"Why? What are you gonna do?" Sharon said suspiciously, although she handed the bag to Natalie as she said it.

Nat brought out a notebook. "I stuck this in here before the party last week. You are probably going to want your lab notebook. I've got that stashed inside. I think. Unless you moved it while you were packing."

"No, we were very careful not to move your stuff around this time," Valerie informed her with a chuckle. "We didn't want to cause any more panic."

"Well, hang on and I'll go fetch it."

Natalie looked around her apartment in wonder when she opened the door. You wouldn't know the 'pack and their belongings had been spread out through all her rooms from the way it looked now. It was depressingly empty, in fact. She headed into the bedroom to the closet, and opened it. Something looked a bit strange, but she felt up on the shelf and came out with a notebook almost identical to the one she'd pulled out of Sharon's bag, promising herself to come back and check it later. She headed back out to the stairs. "Here ya go. Everything should be in there."

Sharon flipped through the notebook briefly before stowing it in her bag. "Thanks."

"Since you're home, do you have time to go to dinner? It doesn't really make sense for us to hit the road if we're gonna have to stop an hour later. We might as well eat first," Jennie suggested hopefully.

"And it's an excuse to stay and visit just a bit longer," GT said enthusiastically.

"Well, I suppose we could. It will be nice not to have to spend the whole time looking over my shoulder for those hunters. I understand most of them wound up under psychiatric observation. Common consensus was that the wounds on their necks had been self inflicted years ago so they would have realistic scars, and that combined with their attack on the whole crowd at the auction was enough to convince quite a few people that they were completely 'round the bend." Natalie informed them with a wry smile. "Let's go."

---***---

"So, did your place look OK to you? We tried to get it as clean as possible," Leslie asked.

"Oh, it's fine!" Nat answered. "I wouldn't have thought you could get it that clean ever again!" She glanced at Jennie, GT and Amy suspiciously. Was it her imagination, or had the three of them relaxed visibly when she said that? "Of course, I only got the brief glimpse of it." Nope, no reaction to that.

"Hopefully we got everything that belonged to you back," Kim put in, "What with the number of people who were in and out of there when we were gone, it was hard to tell."

"Well, I checked last night, and the only thing still missing that *I* noticed is something I'll hardly miss," Natalie shrugged.

"What was that?"

"Oh, it was just one of those...fanzines?...you all kept telling me about," Natalie replied. "Except that this one was appalling. It purported to be my diary, but they got *all* kinds of things wrong in it. It arrived in the mail a couple of months ago. The scariest thing is, it was *handwritten*, of all things. Near as I can tell, they had written it out, made photocopies of it, and sent me the original. I suppose I should be thankful that they thought so much of me to send it along, but I couldn't look Nick in the eyes for weeks after that. You should have *seen* what they wrote me thinking."

"Like what did they write in it?" Amy inquired.

"Well, they had a lot of stuff like you might see in a high school girl's notes, really silly stuff. The other things, well, suffice it to say that if I felt that childishly infatuated with Nick and *thought* that little, I'd have asked him to bring me across *years* ago. It was weird, seeing thoughts that weren't mine attributed to me like that. I wasn't sure what to do with it; I was planning to burn it when it was cold enough for a real fire in the fireplace. Should've just made a bonfire anyhow. Still, at least I don't have to worry about having to take care of that little detail anymore. I hope whoever has it now enjoys it," Nat winced.

Amy made a little sympathy sign at her, but just then their food arrived and they turned to other topics of conversation.


SO LONG, FAREWELL, CIAO...
by Jill Kirby and the Natpack

Time: Midafternoon
Place: Rental car

It was a very quiet, tired group of Natpackers who headed west from Toronto. They'd said their good-byes to the rest of the Pack, and to Natalie. Time to go home.

This time, they were in a rental car (Amy wasn't looking forward to explaining to Di Sidduth what had happened to her vehicle). Since the rental car was... courtesy of the last bit of DeBrabant money they still had hanging around, they had gone all out.

These three Natpackers were going home in a Lincoln, which was one of the few cars that actually had plenty of room for all their stuff.

"I don't want to go back to work," said Jennie mournfully. She took a long drink of her Coke and stared out the window.

In the back seat, Amy half-opened one eye--she'd been napping, but she figured it was time she joined the world. "It was a very good War," she said, startling Jennie so much she spilled her pop (Jennie wasn't used to seeing Amy wake up of her own volition). "No more getting followed by those weirdos--guess we took care of them."

"Mmm hmm," said Jennie with satisfaction. "We took care of all kinds of things."

Jill hadn't said a single word since they left the city, which Jennie knew wasn't normal. "What's up, Jill?"

Jill didn't look at her. "I'm just glad it's over."

"Didn't you have fun?"

"Of course!" Jill passed an incredibly slow-moving Geo--God, she loved gas-guzzling horsepower. "It's always great to hang out with y'all, and I finally got to meet Natalie, and see lots of other friends. It's just... some of the things that happened..."

"That's War," said Amy practically. "Hey, I thought I was Janette, and I survived."

"Yeah, but does everyone know about your obsession with LaCroix's butt? Do you now have to write a story about LaCroix falling in love with a mortal?"

"I don't have an obsession with LaCroix's posterior," said Amy gently. Jill ignored her.

"At least you didn't sing 'Phantom' with a handkerchief over your face," Jennie reminded her. "Or get covered with salt, or have your caffeine supply cut off. And Betsy..."

"We should send her some Preference by L'Oreal, because she's worth it," said Amy with a smile.

The three thought about the various trials and tribulations they'd suffered, as well as those they'd inflicted on others. After a minute, Amy started to giggle, followed by Jennie, then by Jill. In a moment they were all laughing hysterically.

When they'd all calmed down, Jill wiped the tears away from her eyes. "What the hell. It was fun--I can't wait for War Six."

Amy moaned, and Jennie shot Jill a look of death. "Can we wait a while before we start talking about another one of these?"

Jill nodded meekly. "I need a Diet Coke," she declared after a few minutes of silence. "I finished the last one at least five minutes ago."

Amy peered ahead of them. "Yeah. I'm hungry. Let's stop at that Mickey D's up there."

"Just so long as you don't get a fish sandwich," muttered Jennie darkly.


ORANGE YOU GLAD WE VISITED?
by Jennie Hayes and the NatPack

Time: Midafternoon
Place: Natalie's apartment

Natalie closed the door to her apartment quietly, then sagged against it. It was strange, but now that the 'Natpack', as they called themselves, had left, she felt strangely drained. It was as if all the exhaustion she hadn't felt while everyone was here had all come crashing down on her at once. They'd just dropped her off out front, smothered her with hugs and sad goodbyes (that inability to say goodbye was contagious!) and driven off, waving through the windows until they were out of sight.

Remembering that she had almost noticed something in her bedroom before they'd gone to lunch, she went to check that out. There it was, sure enough, a Natmare sat squarely in the middle of her bed. Smiling, she walked over and picked it up, hugging it to herself as she went to look in the closet, which had also looked somehow strange earlier. It took several minutes of staring before the change had become clear, and when it did, she simply sat there shaking her head with a half-grin on her face for several moments. They'd actually done it, and she knew who'd instigated it. Knew without a doubt. She began to sift through the clothing on the racks, looking carefully at several articles of clothing as the grin became wider by the second. She couldn't *believe* they had done it, but there it was.

Every single stitch of orange had been replaced with a nearly identical piece of clothing in another color. Red, turquoise, deep cobalt blue, all of the colors *Jennie* had said would look better on her were represented in the new clothing. She thought she noted a touch that must have been GT's in some of the choices, too. Everything went well with the clothes she already had, but none of it was orange. She hugged the natmare even closer to her as she flopped onto her bed, laughing so hard she almost couldn't breathe.


THE LOST IS FOUND
by Pamela Rush

Time: Evening
Place: The Bronx, NY

Sharon sighed as she opened the very last letter from the stack of mail that had accumulated while she had been in Toronto....

========================================================================

                                   Berea Books, Inc.
                                   P O Box 411
                                   Berea KY 40403

Ms. Sharon Himmanen
5555 Grande Concourse
Bronx, NY 10468

My Dear Ms. Himmanen,

A journal belonging to you has come into my possession through the curious
and convoluted happenstances resulting from the understandably chaotic
mischances of that War, which was fought fiercely yet valiantly just
across the border of our Great Northern Neighbor nation so recently, and,
while conscious that my first priority must be to expedite the return of
your property to your hands, I very much hope that you may first give
serious consideration to this proposal. 
     
This diary of your culinary experiences is the most delightful and
captivating manuscript I have encountered for many years; it would be an
incomparable loss were your acute observations on North American regional
cuisine to be lost to the reading public.  Therefore, Berea Books would
very much like to publish your edifying chronicle of comestibles in our
issue of travel and gourmand publications.  In addition, I hope you will
give some consideration to allowing Berea Books to option your next book
as well. 
     
I await word from you in this matter with trust that we may come to a
mutually favorable and gainful agreement.  Upon settlement of such terms
as you may find acceptable, I will make haste to return your original
manuscript to you via special courier.  While I most genuinely commiserate
with your doubtless distress over the misappropriation of your dairy by
persons known to both of us but better left unnamed in these negotiations,
I am most gratified that the dastardly abduction has ended in suchwise as
to prove, I trust, advantageous to both you and Berea Books hereafter. 

Very truly yours,

Oscar Rawlins
Senior Non-Fiction Editor

==================================================================


Monday, November 20, 1995


HANNIBAL'S LAW
by Catherine Boone and Perri Smith
(with ideas from Scottie)

Time: Evening
Place: Natalie's apartment

Natalie arrived home, immensely relieved that this entire mess was over and done with. No more pranks, no more people running to and fro. Life could regain its sanity again. She climbed the stairs to her apartment and turned the corner.

To find a brick wall where her door used to be. On each and every brick was painted a heart with an arrow through the center.

When she removed them over the course of an hour or two, after she'd begged a crowbar off of one of her neighbors, ("Are you sure you don't need any help?" "No no! I'm fine, really. No trouble at all.") she opened the door with trepidation. Nothing jumped out at her and she relaxed a little, turning on the light. Then yelled as she saw her stuffed animals, carefully guarded since school, lined up on her couch, patiently waiting her return.

Dyed pink. With aqua polka dots.

An envelope leaned against the teddy bear. She opened it, to find a card with a shooting star and a sunrise, almost identical to the one Nick had given to her for her birthday last year. On the inside was written:

"We've forgiven, but you didn't really think we'd forgotten, did you?
                Love,
                  The Knighties"

***

"Admit it, Nick, you're going to miss us," Perri teased as Nick escorted her, Amy Denton and Catherine into the airport.

"Well, maybe a little," Nick admitted. "It's just that there are so *many* of you! Next time, can you find a house?"

Catherine laughed. "Sure, Nick. We promise."

And if Nick saw the glances the three exchanged, he was intelligent enough not to comment.

His beeper went off as they hit the gate. Catherine had elected to spend a few days visiting Perri before heading home and they were all on the same flight into D/FW.

"Go get it," Amy said. "We've got to get our flight passes anyway."

He smiled and headed to the phone. The women exchanged looks again. All of them had a very good idea who was paging Nick.

***

They were sitting waiting for their flight to be announced when Nick came back. He was trying to look stern, but his face was shining with barely-suppressed glee.

"You three..." he had to stop and start again. "You three wouldn't know anything about Natalie's apartment door being bricked up, and animals dyed, would you?"

Their response came in perfect unison, accompanied by beautifully innocent smiles. "We are not programmed to respond in that area!" The call for their flight came and they took the chance to escape.

But it wasn't quite that easy; he grabbed Perri and Catherine's arms before they could sucessfully kiss and run. "Ladies...." he started threateningly.

They looked a little scared, but not much. And none at all when his face split in a wide grin, and he pulled all three of them into a close hug. "Thanks, guys. She's going to kill me, but it was probably worth it."

They wrapped their arms around him, savoring the moment.

"I'm not a hothead," Amy asserted.

"I know," Nick said, "And I don't hold it against you."

"Good." She kissed his cheek and stepped away.

"I do not snore," Nick whispered in Catherine's ear.

"You do too."

"Do not."

"Next time, I'm bringing a tape recorder."

"Next time, I'm changing the locks."

Perri started giggling and they broke apart. Catherine smiled fondly up at him. "See you later, Nicky."

She shoved her hands in the pockets of her jeans, and moved aside for Perri to say her farewells.

Perri started to say something, but stumbled and instead threw her arms around Nick, burying her face in his chest. He smoothed her hair back, and smiled down at her when she looked up with a slightly tearful smile. "I'll miss you," she said with a small laugh.

"Thanks, Perri," he told her quietly.

The smile got more under control. "Cath and I'll drag the others up here any time," she promised. "You beat a Mountie any day."

He laughed out loud and she grigrinned impishly, before turning away.

He watched them board the plane with a smile. He was almost looking forward to the next war. Then he thought of what Natalie was going to do to him for this.

Maybe he could wait a while.


THE TALE OF THE NATPACK
by Selma McCrory

On one fine evening gathered we
Who corresponded on email
And other ways and we could see
The danger coming to us.

So we talked and discussed
The threat to us and others.
And finally decided that we must
Come together as a group. Thus,

We sent small "gifts" to those we knew
Some pranks on those few that
Needed the extra attention. True
We shouldn't have attacked,

But we didn't know this,
And it seemed like a fun way
To get all together, to discuss the hits.
It backfired. No one knew that

We'd all get in trouble.
The Cousins and the Ravenettes
exchanged the Raven on the double
and kept going while the other factions

Tried to figure out what was going on
What side had attacked them
What had gone wrong.
The Die-Hards guessed, as did

Some of the Ravenettes, but
The others weren't convinced and so
they were entitled to go nuts.
And everyone pranked, Sandra had quite a day,

We had a party, and the NatPack went astray
Singing and dancing all over the stage.
The Lurkers put on a play
While we were all so busy

Getting each other back.
But finally it ended.
Nat was kidnapped, and her lack
Spurred the NatPack to tell the truth
(although almost everyone had figured it out)

And ended up with Nat free,
with someone else coming back
Who had surprised even we
Who may have been suspecting her.

Then it was done. Everyone packed up
And raring to go home, meeting new friends
To visit, to drop on
Unexpectedly

When everything was calm at last.
And we, who had instigated this thing
breathed a collective sigh of relief, and left fast
(One, accidentally with LaCroix's goldfish in her bag).

And now we are done. No pranks, just
Everyday life. And we give thanks
For that.


THE END

[NatPack War5 Stories]