Sunday, October 29, 1995

Jump to: [October 30] [October 31]

CHESS--OPENING MOVES
by The Natpack: Amparo Bertram, Jennie Hayes, Sharon Himmannen, Amy Hull, Jill Kirby, Selma McCrory, Valerie Meachum, Elaine Polemenakos, Leslie, Betsy Vera, and Mary GT Webber.

Time: Early morning
Place: Natalie's apartment

Natalie Lambert stood in the doorway of her apartment, keys forgotten in one hand, and stared at her guests. There were bags, suitcases, pillows, stuffed animals and blankets all over her living room--and eleven women lounging about like they lived there. "Sharon? I thought you said a 'few' others were going to meet you here. I count eleven of you. Last time I checked, that was more than a few."

"Oh, well, Leslie was driving Sharon, and Valerie was coming up this way anyway, and when they heard Jennie and I were heading up, Jill, Betsy and Amparo hitched a ride with us. Then when Selma, Elaine and GT heard we'd all be here, they made plans to come up too," Amy explained in her most helpful manner.

"Uh-huh." Natalie didn't sound too thrilled. "I don't even know some of these people, Sharon. Who are they?"

"I'm Leslie," piped up Leslie from one corner, waving.

"And I'm Jill," said Jill Kirby, putting down her Diet Coke to shake Natalie's hand. "It's great to finally meet you!"

"And you remember Amparo, Elaine and GT from the birthday party, right?" Jennie threw in.

"And you know me, even if the dark hair threw you off a bit there," Valerie added.

"Of course." Natalie looked a little stunned. She turned to GT. "You flew in from Australia just for a visit? And you're actually awake this time?"

"Worked a couple weeks of extra night shifts to pay for it. Didn't want to miss this party," GT shrugged, tossing bright red hair out of her eyes. "They're gettin' used to me on the night shift, though."

"So, what am I going to do with you all?" Nat queried.

"Pretend we're not here--we won't get in the way, and most of us can sleep just about anywhere when we're tired. We stopped for supplies, so the kitchen and bar are well stocked," Sharon added, gesturing with the beer in her hand.

"Uh-huh." Nat looked a bit skeptical.

"And we all wanted to talk to you. That's one of the big reasons we're all here," Selma added.

"I was afraid of that. Much as you all seem to like to travel, the only times practically everyone shows up at once, it's trouble," Nat shook her head.

"Did we say trouble? I don't remember anyone saying 'trouble,' do you?" Sharon turned her question to Jennie.

"Nope, didn't use that word," Jennie chimed in. Then she grinned impishly. "Not yet, at least."

"OK, spit it out...what's going on?" Nat sighed, exasperated.

"How about you get comfortable first. Any particular munchies?" Leslie queried.

"Oh, all right. You win! I'll be right back. I'll just have orange juice for now," Nat sighed.

***-***-***

"...so, we have to make sure they're all warned. We could call everyone and tell them what's brewing," Nat suggested.

"I'll get the phone!" Amy jumped up from the floor but Jennie grabbed her skirt.

"Oh, no you don't. Nat's not used to the kind of phone bills you generate," she said by way of warning to Nat.

Valerie carefully placed the phone farther out of Amy's reach. "Yes, I don't think that would be wise," she admonished.

"Besides, I don't think they'd listen to us if we just called them out of the blue," Jennie continued. "It is a bit farfetched. I was thinking we should maybe send them all some kind of anonymous calling cards; you know, get them suspicious and start them wondering if someone's after them. If they just start looking around them more carefully, they'll probably see what's going on for themselves. Then we call them and try to arrange a meeting to deal with the problems."

"Let me get this straight. You want to send weird things to all the listmembers? And you think this will help the situation?" Selma looked like she was ready to have Jennie committed.

"This could work. We send them something taunting, they get paranoid, then we've got their attention when we want to talk to them about the problems," Amy answered, biting her lip thoughtfully.

"I'm sure we can come up with something suitable for each of the factions," Betsy grinned.

"What makes you think the others will trust us if things get weird?" Jill asked.

Sharon smiled knowingly. "Because they always trust us. We've basically cleaned up the mess from the last couple of wars."

"That's true," Amy said. She'd succeeded in freeing her skirt from Jennie's fingers and was now busy going through Natalie's CD collection.

"If you think about it, we'll be doing everyone a favor," Selma added.

"And get to have some well-deserved fun!" Amparo said.

"I love it when a plan comes together," Jennie added.

"Oh! Nat has it! What good taste!" Amy exclaimed suddenly. "Look! Chess! London cast, too!"

"Put it on while we plan, Amy!" Elaine bounced.

"OK, so where do we start? I think we need something especially for each faction..." Valerie began.

***-***-***

In the background, the CD had just finished up a heated argument scene and Amy had moved a bit closer to a speaker. "This is 'Nobody's Side.' It's one of my favorite songs," she told everyone. The song's lines seemed to Jennie to fit the situation uncomfortably well:

What's going on around me
Is barely making sense
I need some explanations fast

"Do you want me to turn it up?" Jennie asked.

"No, it should be plenty loud like this. You know I don't like really loud noises," Amy answered.

"True," was all Jennie said as she turned her attention back to the discussion.

"...so let me see if I've got this all down," Selma said. "Knighties get bricks, Ravenettes get candy cigarettes, Vaqueros get those little cow noisemakers that moo when you turn them over, and Cousins get cotton swabs and Natmare photos claiming LaCroix is yellow-bellied," she reached out to pick up one of the Natmares in question as she said this, hugging it to her. "Vetterans or whatever they are get pink buttons...do we even know of any Tracy supporters?"

"Oh, yes. I know of at least one," Jennie said with a wicked smile. "PartlyK. She'd like to be called a 'Perkulator.' I'm sure there's a coffee joke in there..." she trailed off thoughtfully.

"OK, well, then there are the die-hards, they're getting Jeopardy music playing in a continuous loop, and the mercs all get Chuck E. Cheese tokens, and the unaffiliated get maps with a dot saying 'You are here' and arrows pointing to confusion and chaos," Selma continued, "and there's the half n' half factions who are getting containers of half n' half, and since there are so many Nick&Natpackers they also get the human heart replicas with arrows stabbed though them. Is that right?"

"Yep, and they will be realistic heart replicas, like from an anatomy class or something. I know of a store where you can get things like that," Amy explained. "And followers of Reese get Reese's Pieces and since the FODs are still in mourning they get chocolate hugs and kisses. Although I'm not sure if that's enough to get their attention on the problems. I was thinking of doing something slightly more for them, but leaving the chocolates where they can't miss them," she added.

Several people winced as the song chose this moment to spit out the line:

I feel I need a change of cast
Maybe I'm on nobody's side

"Actually, I've been thinking the same thing about a lot of listmembers. I mean, take Scottie," Jennie turned the stereo up a bit with the remote control as she talked. "She's always getting things in the mail. I think it will take a bit more than just a brick or something with a brick on it showing up in the mail or at her front door to get her attention these days...hmm...Amy, do Istvaan and Gub do brickwork, by any chance?"

Amy shrugged, "As I recall, they're not too fond of it, but I think there was someone who did...let me think about it." As the song on the CD came to an end, Amy leaned over and punched several buttons. The song started over again.

"And then there's Susan," Jennie continued, but Sharon cut in.

"Oh, no. I'm not plotting anything against Susan," Sharon said in a no-nonsense voice. "We have an agreement along those lines."

In the background, a nasty sounding male voice in the song took over for several lines:

I'd have thought you'd support
Any attack on these people...

"Oh, all right. I suppose she'll be one of the first to hear about all the other people getting 'presents' anyhow," Jennie conceded, although there was a glint in her eyes that nobody who knew her trusted. "I think the idea of just a pink button or a few pink buttons is kinda small for the Perkulator as well. I was thinking about elaborating on that one too."

"And those cousins ought to be slowed down somewhat, don't you think? I mean, they can get dangerous," Elaine put in.

They see chess as a war
Playing with pawns just like Poland

"Uh-huh, you're right, Elaine. You know, I'm getting hungry. What say we order out for pizza or chinese or something?" Jennie suggested. "Sharon could go pick it up, since we all carried her beer in earlier."

"Hmm...how long should I stay away?" Sharon queried shrewdly.

Never stay a minute too long
Don't forget the best will go wrong
Nobody's on nobody's side

"Oh, I shouldn't think we'll need more than half an hour," Jennie answered innocently.

Everybody began talking at once...what eventually emerged were orders for Thai food for half the group, after making sure the restaurant didn't put MSG in their entrees because of Jennie's allergies, and three different pizzas to satisfy the taste of the rest of the group and those who couldn't decide between pizza and Thai food. Most seemed to want either cheese or vegetable pizza, although there were a few orders for something with meat on it.

Amy tossed Sharon the keys to Di's car. "It's a good thing you didn't have any more beer after that first, or you'd be gone forever walking it here!" she commented, all but shoving Sharon out the door.

"But...." Sharon began, but the door was closed in her face.

"Now, she can honestly say she didn't hear a thing about this," she could hear Jennie beginning through the door. Sharon shrugged, then turned and started down the hallway. Strains of music followed her as she walked.

Never make a promise or plan
Take a little love where you can
Nobody's on nobody's side

***-***-***

"Now that that's decided, I hope Sharon gets back soon with that food. I really am hungry!" Selma commented.

"Do we have to stick with listmembers? I think we need to make certain Nick, LaCroix and the other characters get the warning too!" Leslie commented.

The music in the background flared up suddenly with the argument that introduced the song:

You want to lose your only friend?
Well keep it up, you're doing fine.
Why this humiliation?
Why treat me like a fool?
I've taken shit for seven years
And I won't take it anymore.

"Yes, could we do something with Nick? He needs warning badly," Natalie commented. "I caught him palming his vitamins again today."

"You seem awfully upset at Nick over that," Amparo mentioned. "Was this that bad?"

There's a time and there's a place!
Is this the girl who always said
She wants to know the truth?

"Well, he just promised he'd try harder to work with me on this cure. If he's having trouble with the vitamins he needs to tell me, not sneak around behind my back not taking them!" Nat was clearly furious.

Why'd you have to do this to me?

"Ah-hah! Poor communication. That drives me nuts, too!" Jennie sympathized. "So, what can we do?"

I see my present partner
In the imperfect tense
And I don't see how we can last

"I know," Amy crowed, "Valerie, you told me once you were pretty good at flipping glasses full of water upside down on tables so that when somebody picks them up, the water spills all over. Will that work with wine? Or blood?"

"Oh, yes. And we could use a large carafe of it so that it will make a spectacular mess if he doesn't pick it up properly. There's always the chance he'll figure it out before trying to pick it up," Valerie nodded.

"So it's basically an intelligence test, of sorts! I like that!" Nat seemed rather enthusiastic over this.

And when he gives me reasons
To justify each move
They're getting harder to believe
I know this can't continue
I've still a lot to prove
There must be more I could achieve
But I don't have the nerve to leave

"I have a Christmas brick we could leave him," Betsy ventured, "after all, his followers will all be getting bricks. I brought it up with me because I thought you would get a laugh out of it. But I'd be happy to donate it to the cause."

"Yes! We can leave him bricks!" Elaine agreed. "If we stop for supplies for the carafe joke, we can look for brick items to leave all over his apartment!"

"OK, that sounds like a plan. I wonder where Sharon got to?" Jennie worried. "It's been almost an hour. I thought for sure she'd come back before we were done, but she's not here yet."

"Jennie, does Sharon have a driver's license?" Amy asked, slowly. "I just realized, she doesn't drive at all in New York."

"Oh, my, you're right. And I don't think she does have one. And this being Di's car, that doesn't bode well. Unless she walked, and that's what's taking so long," Jennie answered hopefully.

Leslie peered out the window. "Nope, I don't see Di's car in that spot anymore," she observed. "Oh, wait, I think I just saw Sharon walk into the building. She looked kinda angry. I hope she's not mad at us!"

"Don't worry, she would never have agreed if she was against going out for the food," Valerie soothed. "She probably got mad at someone along the way."

At that moment, there came a clunky banging on the door. Amparo got up to answer it, then backed slowly and wordlessly away from the door, letting it swing wide.

Several smells assaulted the nostrils of those inside the apartment, wafting from the large bag Sharon held in one hand and the pizza shaped boxes piled atop one arm. Nobody said a word, however, and for a moment everyone in the room was frozen in place as Sharon stalked into the room and unceremoniously dumped the food and the blackened, charred remains of a steering wheel onto the table.

"Oh, my," was all Jennie said as Sharon turned to face her, one eyebrow quirked.

There's nothing certain left to know
And how the cracks begin to show!

"Do you know how hard it was finding a cab at this time of day on a Sunday in Toronto? It was unreal!" Sharon commented, almost mildly. "By the way, Di's car has a few problems, especially the unnatural attraction for large trucks. Although I think that's in its past now. I suppose we could tell her that her car handles beautifully. One hand." She snickered. "I'm hungry, let's eat."

***-***-***

A few hours later, the apartment was buzzing with busy, happy Natpackers. They'd more or less dismissed the fate of Di's car as just that: Fate.

The same song still spun on the CD player. Nobody seemed to have noticed how often it had been around.

Everybody's playing the game
But nobody's rules are the same
Nobody's on nobody's side
Better learn to go it alone
Recognize you're out on your own
Nobody's on nobody's side

"My turn," Sharon said, seating herself and lifting the phone off the hook.

"Amy? Have you gotten the information on someone who does brickwork yet?" Jennie called across the room.

"Shh!" Sharon chided her as she turned back to the phone in her hand. "Egg and Julio," she mumbled to herself, glancing at her watch as she dialed.

It took about twenty minutes. "And you can do the computer animation and all that stuff?" she asked. Listening for a moment, she grinned wildly. "Great! I can't wait to see it. You'll send me a copy, right?" Another pause. "Cool!"

After several more phone calls she dropped the phone back into its cradle and turned to the others. "Next!" she said brightly.

Amy walked over to Jennie. "Yes, I did. Adolf is his name. I went ahead and arranged it with him right away. Scottie's not gonna be happy when she wakes up Tuesday morning. But Adolf does discreet work, so we don't have to worry about her tracing anything back."

No contract truly signed

"Oh, that sounds good. OK, check that one off the list," Jennie replied. I need the phone when Sharon's off it. I don't want PartlyK to go unwarned, way up there in the north woods."

Never take a stranger's advice
Never let a friend fool you twice

"Me!" cried Betsy, jumping up before Amy could snag the phone. She dialed a number. "Hi, it's me. I need a favor from you guys." They talked at length, explaining what she needed done. "Think you can get the rest of the gang to go along with it? Great! Thanks. Take pictures for me. Bye."

"I'm done now," Betsy called. Jennie ran over and grabbed the phone from her.

Never be the first to believe
Never be the last to deceive
Nobody's on nobody's side
Never make a promise or plan . . .

"Hurley, Wisconsin, please?" she told the operator. "Yes, hello? Hang 'em High Harry, please...Jake! How ya doin'? You remember me? Great, I've got another job if you're interested. You still got those dairy connections? OK, good. I'll fax instructions. Make sure you get half n' half. Yep. Also, you remember my crazy friend from way back in the Hamster Patrol? Yep, well, she's up in your neck of the woods these days. Yeah, well, it's all north to me. I'm going to send you some further instructions regarding her. Yes, yes, the usual fees and all that. Oh, nothing serious. I just wanted to let her know I'm not forgetting her. Yep. OK, good. Oh, and Jake? I'll tell the factory to send the shipment of buttons to your place. Yep, she always was fond of buttons, but those were the ones with words on them. These are just plain pink ones. Uh-huh. OK, I expect the usual report, too. Yep. Thanks!" She hung up. "The Half n' Halfs and the Perkulators have been taken care of, or they will be when I get these faxes out!" she announced, putting the faxes in question onto the fax machine as she spoke.

Never stay to long in your bed
Never lose your heart use your head
Nobody's on nobody's side

"That's it for the calling cards, right?" Amy added. "And we've got them all being sent off from different areas of the country? Good. This should about do it for the phoning. You took care of the cousins, correct?" she turned to Elaine, stifling a yawn.

"I believe so," Elaine replied. "They'll be slowed down somewhat, anyhow. Actually, Sharon, Jill and Leslie did a great deal of it."

Nobody's on nobody's side
Everybody's playing the game
But nobody's rules are the same
Nobody's on nobody's side

Valerie glanced at her watch. "If we're done with the phones, we probably ought to get to the store. We need a carafe and quite a few more supplies yet before this evening!"

Never leave a moment too soon
Never waste a hot afternoon
Nobody's on nobody's side


DARKANGEL'S DEMISE (a)
by Amparo Bertram

Time: During "Opening Moves"
Place: Natalie's apartment

Amparo took her turn at the phone. "Hi, Rob? ...Yes I set my VCR before I left, don't worry. You won't miss a thing. Now, about that favor...can you handle the programming? ...You can? Great! ...All right, see you then. Bye."

She hung up with a sigh. "Little brothers. You gotta love 'em. Bribe them, too, but that's only to be expected." She looked around at the other NatPackers waiting to use Natalie's phone. "Next!"


CHESS--OPENING MOVES:
Lofty Expectations

by Sharon Himmanen

Time: Evening
Place: Nick's loft

"Ugh!" Sharon said, hefting the large, heavy bag into the service elevator to Nick's apartment. "Are we sure this is really necessary?"

"Absolutely," Jennie said, using her leg to heave her own large bag into the elevator.

The rest of the group, each carrying assorted parcels and packages piled into the elevator behind them.

"He'll definitely be at work," Natalie said. "Tracy mentioned to me earlier that she was picking him up for shift tonight."

"Something wrong with the caddie?" Sharon asked.

Nat shrugged. "I doubt it. I think they're on stake-out tonight."

"You know," Jill said thoughtfully, as the elevator door slid aside and they piled into Nick's loft, "I just had an idea."

Sharon looked at her expectantly. "Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"

Jill grinned. "I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a monkey who can use silverware?"

They both grinned and laughed evilly as Elaine pulled out a large can of paint and held it up triumphantly.

Natalie shook her head and shielded her eyes. "I don't even want to know," she said, moving into the kitchen.

"OK, let's get started," Jennie said, pushing open one of her bags.

Selma had been standing quietly, looking around, and spotted Nick's laptop on the kitchen table. Never one to resist computers, she wandered over to it and glanced down at it. Scanning the screen quickly, her eyes widened, and she glanced behind, noting that the phone line was connected. She hit a few keys, then gasped and shook her head in amazement.

"What?" Amparo asked, moving to stand beside Selma.

"It's his direct access line to something called the de Brabant Foundation," Selma said, sitting down at the computer.

"Really?" Amy said, walking over to the table, followed by Natalie.

"He's got that much money?" Natalie asked in an awed voice as she looked at the screen. "He's got that much?" she repeated, and her voice was tinged with amazement and a slight bit of anger. "I mean, I knew he was loaded, but this? You'd think he'd give me a few donations for his cure!"

"Another reason for the intelligence test," Valerie observed, holding up another bag.

Natalie tore her eyes away from the screen to look over at Val. "Right," she said, a small note of satisfaction creeping into her voice.

"You know," Jennie said, laughing, "wouldn't it be funny if we made some kind of donation to something that'll tick Nick off?" This met with a chorus of laughter and agreement.

"But what?" Sharon asked, looking up from the can of paint brushes she was busily going through.

"We can work on that while we're hiding the bricks," Betsy said.

"True," Jennie said, returning to the bag she had recently abandoned.

Selma was gazing thoughtfully at the screen. "We can do the charitable donation. We can also maybe finance some of our activities with this. I mean, we are doing this for a good cause."

Natalie looked up and frowned. "I'm not so sure about that," she said quietly. "It's stealing."

"Well, technically yes," Selma observed. "Although judging from the size of this account, I doubt he'd notice if we skimmed a bit off just the interest he makes."

"It might solve your problem too, Amy," Jennie said, looking up from where she was stuffing several large bricks between the cushions of Nick's large leather couch.

"My phone bill?" Amy asked hopefully.

"There isn't enough cash in the northern hemisphere for that," Sharon said, picking up several cans of paint. "Jill, I do believe providence has delivered an art project into our hands." They trooped down the stairs followed by several others.

"I think she means the problem of work," Valerie pointed out as she opened the refrigerator and pulled out a bottle of cow blood. Natalie handed her a cork screw, then took the bottle opened bottle from her hands and began filling a large carafe with the blood.

"How could having lots of money solve my work problem?" Amy asked. "More than in the obvious ways, that is?"

"We could hire a look-a-like to take your place for a couple of days," Selma observed.

"Oh!" Amy said brightly. "I like that idea. Then I wouldn't have to rush back to teach tomorrow."

"I think we're pretty much decided," Selma said and began typing. "I'll transfer some money into a couple of accounts for us, and how about we make a couple anonymous donations to the Porphyria Foundation?"

Still looking slightly uncomfortable, Natalie finally gave in and shrugged, nodding her head slightly. "Porphyria is an unfortunate disease. I'm sure Nick would make a donation if it were pointed out to him." Carefully, she continued filling the carafe of blood until it was at the very top of the container. Then Valerie handed her a piece of cardboard which Natalie carefully sat on top. Then holding her hand on the top, she turned the entire thing over and placed it on the counter.

"One intelligence test, coming right up," she said triumphantly.

"You know," Besty observed, as she placed brick magnets all over the refrigerator, "you could go one better. Use paper instead of cardboard, and pull it out after you placed it on the counter."

"Well, of course," Valerie said, "Now, Nat, hold the carafe very still and I'm going to pull the cardboard out from under it very quickly."

Natalie laughed. "We want to give him a test that actually can be passed."

"If Sharon were here right now, she'd say 'Not that he would' to that," Jennie commented, as she cut another piece of the red brick contact paper she was lining Nick's kitchen shelves with.

"It can be passed. Nick just has to figure out how it got here in the first place and reverse the process!"

In one quick motion, Valerie removed the cardboard, leaving the carafe sitting neatly upside down on the countertop. "Ta da!"

Nat grinned, then reached into the refrigerator and removed the remaining bottles of blood, placing them into the bag that had held the carafe.

"I don't even want to think about what Sharon and Jill are up to right now," Natalie said, shaking her head. "How are you doing with this stuff?" she asked Selma, walking over to stand behind her.

"Good. Amy's all set. I faxed a description to an agency and they sent back a photograph of this actress." Selma hit a few keys and the image of a dark haired woman appeared on the screen. "She knows Shakespeare well enough to take over your class for awhile!"

"Wow, Amy. She looks just like you," Natalie commented.

"This is so cool!" Amy observed, checking out the image on the screen.

"And, I've transfered some money into accounts for us. And made the charitable donations. I did a little creative hacking so the transactions won't show for a couple of days. All that's left is to leave things exactly the way we found them."

This last caused everyone in the room to look around them, from the "intelligence test" in the kitchen to quite a bit of of brick paraphenalia, real bricks, fake bricks, bricks which Amy had proudly fingerpainted onto the refrigerator and the elevator doors, brick magnets, brick potholders, brick shelf paper, photographs of bricks, a book with a brick patterned dust cover, and so on tucked here and there throughout the loft, some in obvious places, some not.

"I guess we're done here. Time to see what Jill, Leslie and the others have been up to," Betsy observed.

***-***-***

"Oh, my God!" Natalie breathed as she stood out on the street staring at Nick's caddie in shocked dismay. The others clustered around her and gazed at the car in fascination.

"Like it?" Elaine asked.

"It's the ugliest thing I think I've ever seen," Valerie commented.

"Oh, but look, I painted little Ravens all along the side," Sharon said, waving at one of the rear fins with her brush. "They have noses and everything. I thought they came out very well."

"They came out very fuscia!" Amy observed. "And against the pink, this car looks like a cotton candy nightmare."

"Or a Cotton Candy Knightmobile, with a 'K,'" Leslie added. "But you haven't seen the best part." Leslie opened the driver's side door and started the engine. "Watch this." She turned on the headlights, and pink strobe lights bounced off the nearest warehouse wall. "I rewired his lights."

"We were just thinking that such a rare form of art should not be kept inside, away from the appreciative eyes of the viewing public," Jill said.

"You know," I think the green upholstry gives it a decidedly preppie look," Jennie said, peering into the front window.

"It was leather. We didn't want to mess with it," Elaine said.

"Nick is going to have a cow," Natalie observed, but there was a somewhat silly grin on her face.

"Doesn't he always," Sharon said. "Do you have any idea how many cars were blown up in the first war?"

"You guys pinked the caddie," Natalie said, and her voice was filled with a sense of doom. "You pinked the caddie."

"I have to admit, I don't normally do pink but I just couldn't pass this up," Sharon said. "But I have to get to the precinct," she addded. "I've got a date with Tracy's computer."

"And the rest of us have more planning to do," Jennie said, glancing at her watch.


A HARD DAY'S NIGHT
by Betsy Vera

Time: Very late at night
Place: Ann Arbor, MI

Ann Arbor, Michigan; Maureen is riding her bike home after a long, very long day at the office.

It was a good thing she took this same route home every night, she thought to herself. She was so zonked out by now that it was only habit that kept her on the road.

It had been a long, miserable day. No, make that a long, miserable week. Actually, it had a been a long, miserable month, and Maureen was sick and tired of the whole thing. She was particularly sick and tired of the Halloween concert. She shuddered at the thought of the "dreaded H word."

It wasn't bad enough that the theater she worked for had two shows opening in October within a week of each other. That was enough right there to keep her box office hopping. But then, on October 2nd, the order forms for the Halloween concert started pouring in through the mail. It was a trickle, the first day. The deluge came on the second day, and it didn't let up for three weeks. Trying to keep up with the workload, Maureen had come in at dawn and left long after dark for the past three weeks. "Sleep? What's sleep?" was her motto every October.

Four days ago, she finally caught up on all the paperwork. She had gone home at a decent time, for a change, and had a good night's sleep. She spent the next couple of days catching up with real life. She didn't get much sleep, though--stayed up late for a party one night, very late the next night to watch Forever Knight--but it didn't really matter. The day after that, she had planned nothing but sleep, sleep, sleep. Then, late in the afternoon, she'd get up and go to the concert.

Her phone rang that morning. She had fallen asleep on her sofa, as usual on Saturday nights when she stayed up to watch FK at 1 a.m. She nodded good morning to the life-size cutout of Ger as Pericles that stood behind her sofa. It was a leftover from a MediaWest party, and it hadn't seemed right to stick it in a closet. The living room seemed as good a place as any for it to be. She just hoped her fellow Mercs and Cousins wouldn't find out she talked to it, or she'd be drummed out of the corps.

You know that awful feeling you get sometimes before you pick up the phone, when you just know that it's going to be terrible, awful news? Well, Maureen didn't get one of those, but the news was still awful.

The concerts had been rescheduled.

It seemed all the conductors had been at a conductors' conference in Utah, and an early blizzard was keeping them from coming home in time to conduct tonight's Halloween concerts. The auditorium was booked solid for the next month, except for this Wednesday. Of course, there was no way to inform the audience until they showed up for the 5 and 8:30 concerts. In costume. With their kiddies. Fortunately, there was no need to re-ticket the shows (Maureen shuddered at the thought). However, there'd probably be people who couldn't come on Wednesday (especially at 5), or who would be angry, just on principle, and demand a refund. Could Maureen come in and handle the box office?

So, here she was, several long hours later, riding her bike home late at night, zonked, exhausted, sleepless, and just too out of it to notice anything. She made it home, somehow, trudged upstairs, and collapsed on the sofa.

She woke up a few (too few!) hours later, grunted good morning to Ger--she stopped, and did a double take. That wasn't Ger. It was dressed the same; the pose was the same; but the face wasn't Ger's. She rubbed her eyes, forcing herself to wake up. She looked again, and froze. It still wasn't Ger. The Roman tunic that ended above the knee was still there, but those were not Ger's knees. The helmet was still held in the right hand, but that was not Ger's hand. The hair, still tightly curled, was dark, not blond. The innocent, yet heroic, half-smile had been replaced by--Maureen shuddered at the sight (she was getting to be awfully good at shuddering). It was the most horrible, awful, terrible thing she'd ever seen. [No, Maureen, it wasn't Paul.]

It was Al Bundy, as Pericles.

After a few moments, she was able to force herself to move away from that thing. She staggered to the kitchen. She needed reinforcements, and the tub of Ben and Jerry's that she kept stashed in the back of the freezer for emergencies was just what she needed. If this wasn't an emergency, she couldn't imagine what was.

Another shock. [Author's note: no, the Ben and Jerry's hasn't been tampered with; I'm not that evil-minded.]

It was her refrigerator door. In her mind, she could see how it had looked that morning. The downloaded photos of David Duchovny, the small one of Gillian, the really nice one of Paul Gross.

Now, the photos looked the same. But the faces were different. Al Bundy. Again. Everywhere. The Vanity Fair replacement photo was particularly hideous. She'd never bee able to see Ralph Feinnes again without feeling a bit queasy.

She recoiled from the sight, but the thought of the Ben and Jerry's inside forced her nearer. She closed her eyes, and, with shaking hands, rummaged through the freezer and found what she was looking for. It was a bit harder to find a spoon in the drawer with her eyes closed, but she was determined not to look at her refrigerator door. She must've been really sleep-deprived to be imagining such horrible things, and she knew that a good session of Ben and Jerry's would clear her mind.

Still keeping her eyes closed, she staggered to her bed and settled in. As she opened the ice cream tub, she had a terrible thought, so she looked under the lid very carefully. Whew! At least that was safe. She took a spoonful of the ambrosia, and froze. Again.

She had just looked at the pictures on her wall.

On both sides of the bed, lining the walls, was picture after picture of <gasp> Al Bundy. All her lovingly framed stills had been replaced by almost-identical ones; Al Bundy as Agent Mulder, sneering at the scene of the crime; Al Bundy as Fraser, sneering in a red Mountie uniform; Al Bundy as Nigel Bennett, "To Maureen the Mad, Mercenarily Yours"; Al Bundy as Diefenbaker, sneering at a fire hydrant; Al Bundy as the complete cast of Forever Knight (it was months before Maureen could erase from her mind the image of Al Bundy in Janette's dress). You get the picture.

Maureen dove under the covers and hid there, trembling, mechanically eating ice cream, making little whimpering noises.

She must've fallen asleep at some point--after finishing the whole tub of Ben and Jerry's. It was daylight when she woke up. Carefully, she peeked over the covers at her bedroom walls and dove under again. Everything looked normal. She peeked again to make sure. Yep. Normal.

No Al Bundy.

She checked the kitchen. Paul Gross' face beamed at her from the downloaded photo taped to the refrigerator door. All was fine in the kitchen.

With trepidation, she tiptoed into the living room and looked behind her sofa. It was Ger. Yes! It was Ger.

The nightmare was over.

Maureen was too shaken up by the experience to go to work that day (the next couple of days, actually), and she called in sick. As she dialed the phone, she fingered the pink Chuck-E-Cheese tokens on her phone table, and wondered where they had come from. She had never been to Chuck-E-Cheese.


Monday, October 30, 1995


CHESS--OPENING MOVES: (a)
Buttoning up

by Sharon Himmanen (By all of us, kinda...)

Time: Wee hours of the morning
Place: 96th precinct

Sharon marvelled at how much the actual precinct looked like the set for the precinct they'd used in the last war as she made her way over toward Nick's and Tracy's desks.

It was literally the middle of the night, and the room was pretty much deserted. The officer at the desk had checked her ID and waved her through without a second glance, even being so kind as to point her to Detective Vetter's computer. Of course, it helped to be wearing a windbreaker for Twilight Computer Repair Co. and carrying a large tool kit.

Not that she'd need any equipment for this little "repair job," she thought with a smile. Nope, just a few disks and a small hidden speaker. With all that Susan had told her about the ineptitude police officers often displayed toward computer equipment, this little prank was assured to last for some suitable, irritating duration.

She worked quickly, aware that either Nick or Tracy might show up at any moment. She'd never met Tracy, but Nick would probably recognize her.

Lifting the monitor off and placing it on the desk, she pulled a screwdriver out of her pocket and quickly removed the cover from the computer. Placing the speaker carefully inside, and hooking it up to its card, she replaced the cover.

Then, she sat down in Tracy's chair and booted up the computer. Glancing over her shoulder to make certain no one was paying undue attention to her, she pulled out several disks. One contained the WAV file that she'd digitized and the other held the program that her friend Kirk had written for her.

It was a pretty obnoxious program, Sharon thought as she held the disk in her hand and looked down at it, just before slipping it into the drive and pulling the keyboard toward her. A few keystrokes and it was loaded. It wouldn't take a genius to figure out and disable what she'd done, but someone with even an average competence with computers would be entirely clueless.

Switching the computer off, she rose, giving it an affectionate pat as she pulled the disk out of the disk drive. With another glance around the squad room, she casually walked out, waving as she passed the officer at the desk who had been so kind to her earlier. He barely glanced up at her, and she doubted he'd be able to give anyone a good description of her if anyone were to ask.

***-***-***

Tracy stumbled into the precinct, idly noting that Nick ducked off quickly somewhere, probably to go to the bathroom, and stumbled over toward her desk. She was not adjusting at all well to the night shift, and often found herself dragging during the wee hours of the night, just before the end of the shift.

Which was paperwork time, guaranteed to make her even sleepier than she already was. Sinking into her desk chair she dropped her head into her hands and gently massaged her temples, pushing aside several pink buttons that she didn't remember leaving on her desk. On top of everything else she had the beginnings of a pounding headache. Nick walked over and dropped several files onto her desk. When she didn't respond he leaned down and said, "Detective Vetter, are you in the mood to do some work, or should I put in a call to Sven, my friend the masseuse?"

Tracy lifted her head and glared at him as he sat down and smirked at her, briefly visualizing what a small hatchet imbedded into his forehead would look like. Then she reached over and flipped the power switch for her computer.

While it was booting up, she reached into her pocket and pulled out her notebook, flipping it open to the notes she'd taken earlier at their latest crime scene.

The report form was up on her computer, and Tracy swiveled in her chair to face the monitor, and reached out to tab to the first field.

"I'm a good cop!" said a loud, happy, feminine voice.

Tracy glanced up abruptly at Nick, who was looking at her with a mixture of mild surprise and amusement. "What did you say?" she asked sharply.

"Nothing," Nick shrugged, looking back down at his notes.

Tracy sighed, and turned back to her work. She pressed the shift key, prepared to begin filling in the form.

"I'm a good cop!" came the voice again.

This time, Tracy narrowed her eyes, and looked suspiciously at the computer in front of her. Experimentally, she tapped the space key.

"I'm a good cop!"

She pressed it again.

"I'm a good cop!"

Only a few people were in the squad room at this hour, but she heard a few quiet snickers from behind her, and noticed that Nick was grinning impishly at her.

"Very funny, Knight," she said disgustedly.

Now he feigned wide-eyed innocence. "I had nothing to do with it."

"Uh-huh," Tracy replied, noting the corners of his mouth starting to creep up.

"Really," he said.

She sighed, grabbing the mouse to shut down the program.

"I'm a good cop!" sounded when she pressed the left mouse button.

"You did this," she accused, more than a little irritated. "And it's not funny! How'm I supposed to get my reports done?" She sounded petulant and she knew it. But she didn't care. She was tired, her head hurt, and Nick's constant teasing was beginning to wear a little thin.

"Vetter!" she heard Reese call from behind her. Twisting quickly she accidentally hit the keyboard with her elbow.

"I'm a good cop!"

Behind her, Nick made a slight strangled noise as Reese's gaze hardened. "I want the write-ups on the Jenkin's case into the computer before you leave," he said. "No matter what! That goes for the two of you!"

With a sigh she turned and hit the keyboard absently.

"I'm a good cop!"

"Oh, shut up!" she said disgustedly, looking expectantly at Nick.

He feigned a wounded expression for a moment. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you just accuse me of this little joke? And now you want to use my computer? How am I going to get my reports done?"

"Fine, fine!" she said, attempting to be dismissive. "I'll just use soneone else's." She was just starting to rise from her chair when Nick cleared his throat. "What now?" she asked.

"Passwords."

Tracy glared at him for a moment, then nodded thoughtfully, almost in resignation. "You're right," she said. "When life hands you lemons, you make lemonade. I'll just have to make the most of this bad situation."

With that she sat back down and started to type.

"I'm a good cop!"

"I'm a good cop!

"I'm a good cop!"

"I'm a . . ."


DARKANGEL'S DEMISE (b)
by Amparo Bertram

Time: Morning
Place: Darkangel's computer

The posts only trickled in, at first. One or two messages asking if the web site was down again, or if something was wrong with a particular story. Soon, however, there were over a dozen of them in Darkangel's email box, all wondering what had happened to her FK fiction page and if it would be fixed in the near future, each letter more frantic than the last.

For some of those who had decided to sit out the War that would be starting soon, the fiction stored on the web site would be practically all they could get for the next three weeks, and they weren't too happy to discover it had suddenly vanished without a trace.

War...that could be the answer. Her suspicions aroused, she called up the page to see for herself what was going on. It came up just fine, no problem there. She selected a category and waited for the titles to load. They looked all right so far...

Wait. Something was not quite the way she remembered it. It took her a few moments, but she finally noticed that a small number appeared beside each title. Curious, she clicked on one of the stories.

The expected story didn't show up. In its place, her screen filled with a series of characters and symbols. They seemed vaguely familiar--a computer language? Once she realized that, she recognized it as a fragment of assembly source code. What could it mean?

She thought back to the numbers that had been added to each title. If every story had been replaced by part of a program, perhaps she was expected to assemble the segments together. The numbers could indicate the proper sequence.

It wouldn't hurt to try. She gathered all the sections together and compiled the program. Her screen went black, and against the blank background the image of a pair of coins emerged. No, not coins...upon closer inspection, they were tokens. Chuck E Cheese tokens, to be exact.


CHESS--OPENING MOVES: (b)
Buttoning up

by Sharon Himmanen (By all of us, kinda...)

Time: Late afternoon
Place: Natalie's apartment

Jennie put down the phone. "That was it - the deed is done. Jake says he's filled all the cars at PartlyK's house with pink buttons and covered them all with a nice protective coating of contact paper. He got away with no incident, although he says he needed a little extra glue on some of the contact paper."

"That's good," Amy replied. "And I heard back from Adolf. He says Scottie should see the light - or lack thereof - this morning. He's bricked all her windows and doors shut, and the work had set nicely by 4am so it's solid. He checked and it was still intact. She can't get out without help, unless she keeps some major power tools in there. And best of all, there are a set of 'blond' colored bricks in the front door that spell out the word 'IS.' Really nice work. He took a picture of it for us!"

"Elaine, did those 'friends' of yours from the University take care of Perri? We don't want her to miss out on this!" Jennie grinned wickedly as she said this.

"Yep, all the power and phone lines to Perri's house have been cut in at least two places. It's going to be days before they locate and fix all the damage. And they left the brick in front of the door, nice and large and noticeable." Elaine giggled.

"And Sandra's got a little surprise waiting for her at her local cable company, courtesy of Egg and Julio," Sharon added. "So the Knighties should be well and truly alerted."

"Good! Now, how about the Cousins and Ravenettes? There's at least one Ravenette whose 'surprise' is on its way," Jennie gloated.

"And we've got Cousin Candice taken care of," GT reported, "not to mention darling Jamie who could have been a Natpacker if she'd made the right decision, although they won't get their surprises until tomorrow."

"And the others are also being taken care of," Sharon mentioned, waving her hand at the phone, "Guido and Dirk have been busy too, among other people."

"And I sent the appropriate information from the database to everyone who was taking care of calling card distribution for us," Jennie said.

"So now what do we do?" Selma asked, "Sit back and wait for something to happen?"

"Oh, no, I was thinking that, since it's the night before Halloween, we should go someplace truly scary. What could be scarier than the Raven, with it's new decor?" Valerie purred. "I was thinking we should enhance that decor a bit, bring back a little style." She carefully held up a white rose.

"Oh, that's evil. You know how those things make LaCroix go all maudlin over Fleur. I love it!" Amy exclaimed. "But how can we go there without being recognized?"

"We dress like we belong, of course!" Valerie explained. "I'm already disguised, with this black hair, and we can add a fall to yours, say give it some blond streaks...yes...come on, let's see what we can do!"

"Umm...if you don't mind, I'd really rather sit this one out..." Selma said, "I think someone needs wait for something to happen."

***-***-***

"This is it. Now, I don't think we'll be recognized," Betsy said, a little nervously, "but what do we do if we are?"

"Get out any way we can, of course. Even LaCroix doesn't want to attract a lot of attention so we should be able to get away if we're desperate enough," Jennie answered. "Although I would be grateful if you all would try to think of diversions while you watch for trouble." The group presented quite a picture. Gone were their normal clothes, hairstyles and makeup. They'd been replaced by lots of black leather, denim, and unusual styles. For them, at least.

"Are you sure this is gonna stay?" Amy asked, shaking her head. The white streak hanging over her eyes flopped back and forth.

"It will if you don't keep shaking your head like that," Valerie and Jennie retorted simultaneously.


CHESS--OPENING MOVES:
The N-Team

by Jennie Hayes and Jill Kirby (with lots of input from the whole list of authors on the first post...)

Place: The Raven

They steeled themselves and slipped in, in small groups, then began setting the roses, pastel ribbons and bows and other romantic knick knacks they'd brought with them all over the room.

Jennie noticed Jill making her way to the back, where LaCroix's booth was. After allowing herself a worried frown, she turned back to the work at hand, but Valerie grabbed her arm, steering her towards a different section of the back of the club.

"Hey, Hannibal, check out the tank in there," she said, in an astonishingly good imitation of Murdock.

"Oh, I get it, that's why you gave Sharon all those necklaces. Cute, real cute. I guess it works--" Jennie began, but then she spied the "tank" Valerie was talking about. It was more of a bowl, actually. And it held what could only be LaCroix's goldfish, Spike.

"I was thinking of taking out a little in-sur-ance," Valerie crooned.

Jennie gave Sharon the high sign and pointed to Amy. "I think she'll have what we need." They all converged on Amy at once.

"This is awful," Amy said between gasps when they approached her, "There's so much smoke!"

"Hey, Triple-A, do you have anything in your bag that resembles this piece of Tupperware?" Jennie pulled the container in question out and opened it a bit. "Perfect. Just what we needed. And I'll need your bag of goldfish crackers, too. Are they the original garlic flavor?"

"Mm-hmm," Amy said between gasps.

"Thanks. We owe ya. Sharon, see that door there? We need to slip in, like inconspicuously. Think we can do that?"

"Of course. I ain't no slacker." Sharon seemed to be taking her part to heart as well. Jennie rolled her eyes.

"Let's go, then! Amy, don't even try to do anything. Just keep breathing."

The three managed to make their way into the office without detection.

"Quick, pour him in here." Jennie opened the container all the way, and the other two managed the maneuver fairly well, although they got water all over the desk and floor in the process.

The fish looked none the worse for wear in his new home. Jennie snapped the lid on tightly. "OK, now empty out the rest of the water into that plant, and pour these in the bowl." She handed the bag of crackers to Valerie.

"You got it, chief." Valerie took the precaution of wiping the bowl dry before adding the crackers.

"This is a stupid plan," Sharon groused. "He's gonna smell the garlic from out there before we can make our getaway!"

Valerie solved the problem, at least some of it, by depositing a small plant over the rim of the bowl, effectively capping it. "Now let's make a break for it!" she said.

The other two nodded and made their way out. Heading back towards Amy, Jennie saw that she was having even more trouble and the gasping had turned into uncontrollable coughing. She was, unfortunately, beginning to attract attention.

"We need to get you out of here, fast," Jennie said, slipping the fish back into Amy's bag unobtrusively as she reached her. "Be careful not to jostle the bag too much."

Amy didn't have the breath to answer, but all of a sudden her hair came tumbling down. "See..." Amy began to say, but another fit of coughing stole her breath away.

Jennie saw LaCroix, out of the corner of her eye, heading towards them. A small part of her mind was amused to note that Jill stood behind him, apparently mesmerized at the sight of him. "Come on, we've gotta go now!" She and GT each grabbed an arm and all but dragged Amy out the door.

GT sneaked a glance backwards as they cleared the doorway. LaCroix didn't appear to be chasing them anymore; instead, he'd stopped and was staring, transfixed, at a single white rose adorning the table nearest the door. She didn't wait around to question his inaction, though. Elaine and Amparo joined them, and they sped off down the street to Jennie's waiting car.

***-***-***

Hiding in the shadows, Jill watched as LaCroix stalked out of the broadcast booth - leaving the door open behind him. "Sucker," she whispered to herself. No one noticed as she slipped into the booth and locked the door, shoving a chair up under the knob for good measure.

Throwing open her backpack, she pulled out a stack of tapes she'd carted up and slid several into waiting players, hitting the pause buttons. "I knew my undergrad major would come in handy - just didn't know it would be for this," she muttered as she flipped the necessary knobs, lowered the mike to her level, and yanked out the cart that LaCroix had left playing.

Sharon and Leslie exchanged bemused looks as they watched LaCroix stare at the rose. He seemed to remember himself after a bit and headed out the front door, but by then the five escapees must have been long gone, since he turned his attention back to the rose and stood outside, his mind obviously elsewhere. Betsy urgently grabbed Sharon's arm and pointed back at Jill, who was pulling things out of her bag and taking her place in the broadcasting booth at the back. Sharon sneaked a glance at LaCroix, who looked like he'd be out of it for awhile, then shrugged. "You gotta admire her nerve," was her only comment, as she returned to the finishing touches on the decorations, keeping herself out of LaCroix's direct line of sight, just in case he returned to the present.

"Good evening, gentle listeners. I'm coming to you live from the Raven, which is currently being...redecorated. Our first selection tonight is one that's very special to everyone here, and I'm sure to many of you." Strains of "My Favorite Things" began to echo through the Raven.

Jill yanked the cart out of the deck, cutting the song off just as Julie Andrews was about to sing about barking dogs. "That's about all anyone can take of that song. Now, in honor of the new Raven and the new LaCroix, here's one of my personal favorites. Let's get naked - not!" As she released the pause button, Adam Ant began singing the chorus: "We're just following ancient history, if I strip for you, will you strip for me?"

_____

Adam Ant stopped stripping mid-verse. "We just have so much to play tonight!" Jill surveyed the room. "It appears that the A-Team is being extremely effective in their efforts - if all you listeners could only be here to share in the joy of recreating our favorite night spot. And now, for all the survivors of War Four..." The sounds of "Purple People Eater" filled the room.

____

"Here's the theme song for several factions, and a darn good sing-along from 'Show Boat.' " Jill slipped in another cart. "Fish gotta swim and birds gotta fly, I gotta love one man 'till I die, can't help lovin' that man of mine..." Unable to help herself, Jill danced around the booth, singing along. Luckily, the booth was soundproof.

_____

As the first strains of the song from 'Show Boat' began to fill the room, Leslie noticed signs that LaCroix was beginning to come out of it. She looked frantically around the room, and spied a fire alarm on the wall near her. All at once, the vampire seemed to notice what was happening with his club. Leslie grabbed the handle of the alarm and pulled just as he came flying in, headed straight for the booth and Jill. Pandemonium broke loose, as not only did the alarm go off, but the sprinklers did as well.

_____

The Raven was complete chaos - people running everywhere, water streaming down from the sprinklers. It was the perfect cover for Jill to slip out of the broadcast booth, jimmying the door shut behind her. She looked around breathlessly for Leslie.

"Jill! C'mon!" yelled Leslie from the doorway. "We've got to get to the airport!" Jill ran over to her, avoiding several screaming women in lingerie. "Nice dancing, by the way," said Leslie wryly.

"Oh, hush. You should talk, Rainwoman. Let's go." They raced out.

Betsy wasted no time in getting herself out, heading for a convenient nearby cab. Sharon and Valerie hung about in the shadows inside the club for several minutes, ignoring the water, watching as LaCroix changed direction to go "wescue his little Spikey-Wikey from the awful wainwater!" The look on his face as he discovered his precious pet's disappearance was everything they could have hoped for. They headed out the door and into Betsy's waiting cab.

___

Behind them, in an endless loop, "Nobody's Side" played on. And on. And on.

"Never take a stranger's advice
Never let a friend fool you twice -
Nobody's on nobody's side..."

THIS OLD CHURCH
by Selma McCrory

Time: Wee hours of the morning
Place: Vachon's church

"The church has acquired visitors," Selma announced, as she surveyed the supposedly abandoned building. "Everybody has the stuff? This place could do with a bit of fancying up."

The six others with her smiled, or giggled, or just stood there quietly with the supplies. They then headed into the building.

* * *

Valerie quickly started to unpack the bags she'd gotten. Of all of them, she'd done the best at finding the supplies they'd needed. The others grabbed the items, racing away to get the church in as little time as humanly possible.

Amparo set to work with the cow-pattern slipcover, and Betsy ended up with the cow-patterned bedsheets.

Jennie gave a little yell, as she found his refrigerator. "I told you he had to own a 'fridge!" she yelled. She then began to replace Vachon's bottles with some that Sharon had provided.

Selma looked up from where she was replacing Vachon's candles with cow-patterned ones. "Don't forget the 'Vachons,'" she said, holding up the Canadian snack food. Jennie nodded and put those in with the bottles, and then closed the appliance, lovingly putting Jill's cow magnet on the front.

Amy was tying bows on the banister of the stairs. The group had agreed on pink, especially since it tied in with the Caddy. Mary GT was alternately hanging cow posters on the wall and digging around in a bag. Several posters later, she cried triumphantly and extracted a pair of cow-patterned slippers. These she placed by Vachon's coffin.

Finally, with the finishing touches of a cow-patterned pillow in Vachon's coffin to go with the sheets, they were done. "Let's see how Vachie-poo likes our redecorating service," Selma said, trying to suppress a laugh.

Seven snickering forms exited the church.

* * *

Vachon had no idea his private space had been invaded by mortals. Indeed, his mind was on Tracy and the latest wrinkle in their relationship, and barely on the place that, for the moment, he was calling home.

That was why he didn't notice immediately that it wasn't the same place he left. He would never lower himself to streamers, and certainly he wasn't fond of cows!

As he toured the loft, his heart fell in dismay at the amount of cow-themed stuff that had appeared in his living space that had certainly not been there an hour before. Struck with a sudden thought, he hurried to his refrigerator and checked inside.

In place of his blood, there was something else. Something that he didn't recognize at first but it had ice cream in it.

He sat for a few minutes before deciding that he'd have to find out more.

And then the perpetrators would be very sorry.


BUILD A BETTER WARDROBE...
by Selma McCrory

Time: Early
Place: Urs' apartment

"I'm sure she has more intelligence than we realize. After all, we only saw her briefly in Black Buddha."

The others just looked at Selma, doubting her sanity. A lot of them had volunteered to join her on her mission, but on different principles.

Selma picked the lock on Urs' door and swiftly looked around the deserted hallway to see if anyone was witness to the strange procession that was gathered behind her.

"Okay," she said, checking her clipboard. "We've only got a few minutes to do this."

The assembled group split up and raided Urs' drawers.

"I didn't know that Urs had this many Wonderbras," Sharon said to Elaine, who was helping to replace Urs' wardrobe with nice, sensible blue jeans and cute t-shirts.

"I think she's probably broken the world record," Elaine replied.

Meanwhile, Selma, Mary GT, and the others were swapping the clothes in Urs' walk-in closet. "Frills. Frills are a good thing. And granny dresses. And why did these polyester outfits go out of style? I've always liked bellbottoms," Selma said. Another Natpacker handed her an armful of pink dresses.

Meanwhile, Mary GT was replacing all of Urs' shoes with the shoes that she had bought. Fortunately, she had bought a lot. She looked up at the dress that Selma was holding. "Perfect, darling. Just perfect."

"Isn't it, though..." Selma said. " I didn't know it came in this size."

"I almost feel sorry for her," Mary GT said.

* * *

Urs approached her closet, stripping off her stained dress as she went. Due to a clumsy young vampire named Vince spilling his drink on her dress after engaging in a long, boring speech on bringing someone across soon, she now had a very sizable stain. Too bad that his glass had been almost full when he was talking to her.

Good thing for him that a young mortal woman had come to claim him. Otherwise, she would have done something permanent to him. The young woman had been nice, offering to help clean up what she thought was plain red wine, but Urs had thanked her for the offer, dabbed it up as best she could, and left.

Something was wrong - she could tell before she opened the closet door that something had changed, subtly.

And then she looked in her closet.

Someone had completely changed her wardrobe. Instead of her stylish clothes, there were polyester outfits. With bellbottoms. Granny dresses. Lots of ruffles and lace and pink.

She'd have to find out who was responsible later. First, she'd have to return to the club. She picked out the least offensive item, a dress with little purple dinosaurs on it, and put it on. It wasn't a bad fit.

But her day had gone from bad to worse.

Maybe she'd strangle that young vampire after all.


THE GRAY ZONE
By Sharon Himmanen

Time: 10pm EST
Place: The Gray House

Sandra got comfortable. The house was quiet, everything was straightened up, put back in place and otherwise organized.

Things were just the way she liked them. Life was good.

And to make things even better, another blissful hour of Nick Knight was about to start. She'd missed the episode over the weekend.

In anticipation, Sandra leaned forward, watching the television eagerly as a shot of the sun rising above the silhoutted skyline of Toronto slowly filled her screen and her mind.

Yes, life was good for Sandra.

But not for long . . .

TEASER

Nick is staggering around in a pre-dawn park where a mother is pushing her child in a stroller. The little girl is clutching a doll.

CU on Nick's face--he is haggard. His hair looks as though someone had haphazardly snipped at it with a pair of dull scissors. Several days' stubble cover his cheeks and chin. His eyes glow a feral red and he pulls back his lips in a silent snarl, revealing his fangs.

He pauses, catching sight of the mother and child and begins to move toward them, licking his lips in anticipation.

CUT TO: NATALIE at the morgue, nervously glancing at her watch. She is worried, concerned.

CUT TO: NICK closing in on the mother. They are unaware of his presence.

The sky grows slightly redder.

CUT TO: LACROIX flying into the Raven. He is desperate, worried. He races to the phone and dials a number.

CUT TO: NICK standing just behind the mother, who has stopped to fuss with her daughter.

CUT TO: The morgue as the phone rings. NATALIE snatches it up.

NATALIE:
Did you find him?

Her voice has an edge of panic. She listens for a moment.

NATALIE:
But the sun . . .

CUT TO: The park, where NICK reaches one hand out to the woman just as the first rays of sun stretch over the horizon. Nick hisses. The WOMAN turns, sees him vamped out just behind her and screams, running to her baby.

NICK moves to follow, catching her shoulder. He starts to smoulder.

The pain becomes too much. NICK releases the woman. Before he seeks shelter he snarls viciously at the woman and her child, then shoots forward, determined to achieve his prey.

He snatches the little girl's doll from her hands and viciously twists its head off. Tossing the headless doll back into the stroller he dashes away to find shelter.

END TEASER

Sandra leaned back, watching in horror as the episode unfolded. What in the world was this? Reese making it very clear that first Schanke and now Tracy had been carrying Nick's workload and covering for him? Nick returning to his loft and opening a closet full of doll heads? Nick ranting and raving (hell, he was practically frothing at the mouth) at both LaCroix and Natalie as they attempted to reason with him (and they sounded quite reasonable too) over various things?

It was just too, too horrible for words, she thought, sitting there shaken and confused at the end of the episode, barely paying attention to the screen anymore.

At the end of the opening credits, the screen went blank for a moment, then a small cartoon began to run. A little animated knight walked out onto the screen, his armor clanking loudly. He began to build a tiny brick wall on her screen.


Tuesday, October 31, 1995


LURKER 5
by the Lurkers

Time: 4:45 p.m.
Place: The little black book I've got my poems in

"Oi, Rastro!" Maddog complained, "this bag is getting heavy!"

"Wot you want me to do about it?" Rastro retorted, tossing the tesseract back and forth from hand to hand.

"How about carrying it for a while! All you've got is the bloody tesseract and it has negative mass."

"You never know when we might get attacked; besides, we're here." Rastro opened the door to the M.E.'s lab. Normally she would have folded space-time and appeared in the lab itself but she decided that would be impolite, not to mention the chance of landing on a dead body.

Dr. Natalie Lambert looked up from the lab report in front of her. Two women had entered the lab; they looked vaguely familiar. "Can I help you?"

"Yes, you can take this." Maddog plopped the paper bag down in front of Nat.

"What is it?" Natalie peered cautiously into the paper bag.

"Ben and Jerry's ice cream and some Haagan-Daas, plus some chocolate chip cookies," Rastro explained as she fished a cookie out of her pocket.

"What's it for? And who are you anyway?" the medical examiner asked, her mouth already watering at the sight of the Bailey's Irish Cream ice cream.

"It's a bribe and we're the Lurkers," Rastro explained in her best Australian accent.

"What's a Lurker?"

"Never mind that," Maddog interrupted. "The bribe is to get you to help us put on a play."

Natalie narrowed her eyes and leaned back in her chair. "What kind of play?"

"One for charity. It runs for one night only. Nick and Tracey are going to be in it."

"Nick? Really," Natalie sounded intrigued.

"Yes, and he's going to be wearing really tight polyester bell bottoms," Rastro interjected as she opened the container of ice cream and began waving it under Nat's nose.

"Very, very, very tight polyester pants and a very, very tight polyester shirt," Maddog added as she began to fan her hand over some of the chocolate chip cookies, trying to get the smell to carry.

Natalie smiled a real shit-eating grin and took one of the cookies and dipped it into the ice cream. She stuffed it into her mouth. "Really tight pants?"

The two Lurkers nodded their heads and looked their most sincere.

"Anything for charity!" Natalie mumbled around her mouthful of calories.

***************************************************************

We're Lurkers, we blackmailed Natalie
With chocolate, ice cream and a chance to fondle Nicky


LURKER 8
by the Lurkers

Time: 4:45 p.m.
Place: In a galaxy, far, far, away

"Oi, everybody got their scripts?" Rastro called out over the loud mumblings of their collected cast.

"What IS this?" Captain Reese asked, perplexed to the roots of his cop's soul.

"This is the Lurker idea of amusement," LaCroix informed him dryly. "They have nothing better to do with their lives except go around causing random mayhem."

"What's a Lurker?" Reese wondered aloud, then he decided he was in the middle of a dream and just to go along with the flow.

"Okay, I see you've got your scripts and you've all changed into your clothes except..." Rastro's voice trailed off. Admist the sea of polyester and fluorescent colors, LaCroix was still dressed in a very nicely tailored black jacket and pants.

"I don't have a costume yet," the vampire smiled back at the woman, baring his fangs slightly.

"You know," Tracey "I'm a good cop" Vetter said to Vachon as she leafed through the two pages of script, "this is one really strange play."

Vachon did his big-eyed look at her and shook his head slightly. The two people in fake glasses, noses and moustaches had to be very powerful if they could force a vampire as old as LaCroix to do this play of theirs. Of course, they had delivered and Tracey was wearing a tight, pink mini-skirt and a plunging, polyester top with large pink and yellow flowers on it.

"Here you go." Maddog stumbled in, carrying a pair of striped maroon and yellow hip huggers, a yellow shirt with very wide lapels, and an orange sweater vest. She handed them to LaCroix with a silly grin on her face.

"I'm not going to wear...that," LaCroix stated firmly, voice dripping venom.

"Sure you are," Maddog assured him, "cuz if you don't Rastro will fart and she's been eating vegemite."

If looks could have killed the two Lurkers would have been smited on the spot. But they can't, fortunately. LaCroix moved off the stage they were all standing on to change his clothes. Visions of torture dancing in his head.

"Okay, now, everybody, make sure you know what part you'll be playing. I'll run through it one more time," Rastro called out, raising her hand for attention. "All right, let's do the guys first. Nick, you're Greg, Janette, you're Peter, and, Vachon, you'll be playing Bobby."

"Why am I playing a boy, may I ask?" Janette asked as she tilted her head. She hadn't minded the tight pair of white, bell bottom jeans and she was kind of enjoying playing with the zipper that ran part way down the front of her shirt. It was worth it to see Nick stumble around in pants definitely three sizes too small for him. The prospect of seeing LaCroix similarly dressed was just too amusing to miss.

"The sides have to be evenly divided, mortal and immortal," Maddog explained. "We're trying to keep as close to the original concept as possible."

"Oh," Janette nodded.

"Okay, and for the girls, Tracey, you're going to be Marcia. Captain Reese, you're gonna be Jan, uh, try to remember not to sit with your legs crossed. And Schanke, uh, you're going to be Cindy."

"But I ain't nothing but a hound dog," the Elvisized Schanke sang out.

"That's okay. Natalie, you're going to be Mom and, as soon as he's done changing, LaCroix is going to be Dad."

Natalie nodded, trying in vain to get the blonde wig on her head to sit better. One of the bobby pins kept jabbing into her head and she kept having flashbacks of the Partridge Family song, "Point Me In The Direction of Albuquerque."

LaCroix game back on stage. Only his evil glare kept everybody on stage from bursting out laughing. The Lurkers, not so constrained, giggled and made sure the video camera got plenty of shots of his polyester-clad bum.

"All right, here we go," Maddog yelled out. A screen descended behind her, taking up the whole back of the stage. Spinning blocks started appearing on the screen in time to the singing.

"It's a story, of a master vampire
Who had brought across two children years before,
One of them had hair of gold; dressed in armor
The other was a whore. (Not anymore!).

It's a story, of another vampire,
He's been on the run the past three hundred years,
His best friend eats mice and rats, lives in sewers,
He needs to change careers.

It's the story, of lovely lady,
Who liked cutting up dead bodies in the lab,
She worked nights and lived alone, with her pussy,
Ate icecream, watched 'Ab Fab.'

It's the story, of a man named Schanke,
(They say he's dead now, but we don't wanna know)
There's a new boss, and a new partner,
Where did the old ones go?

Now the master vampire owns the Raven,
Janette left Nick, went off to parts unknown,
Vachon hangs round the bar, watching bimbos
But still they're all alone.

Till the one day when a vampire met this lady,
And he knew that she was much more than his lunch,
Now this group must somehow form a family,
That's the way they all became the Vampire Bunch
The Vampire bunch, the Vampire bunch
That's the way they became the Vampire Bunch!"

******************************************************************

We're Lurkers, We Love the Brady Bunch
For copies of the tape just give us stuff to munch.


LURKER 9
by the Lurkers

Time: 4:45 p.m.
Place: Somewhere over the rainbow

"Good morning, Mommy." Captain Reese, cleverly disguised as Jan Brady, tripped into the section of the stage that had been turned into a make-shift kitchen.

"Good morning, sweetie," Natalie aka Carol Brady smiled back. Hours of watching the Brady Bunch as a kid had come flooding back and she was kinda getting off on her role. Except for the polyester chafing.

"Hi, Mom," Nick Knight mumbled as he entered the kitchen. His green polyester pants were so tight he was sure he was doing himself an injury, vampire or not. The too tight ribbed, long sleeve t-shirt wasn't helping matters.

"Uh, oh, Greg, is there something the matter?" Natalie smiled, she liked the green pants. "What is it honey?"

"I don't have a date for the prom, Mom," Nick read from his script, wondering who had written the dialog. "Would you go with me?"

"Sure, son, why not!" Natalie said hesitantly; she looked over at the directors.

"We decided to incorporate the fact that the actor who played Greg Brady actually went out one night with the actress who played his mom," Maddog explained. She noticed that everyone was looking at her. "It's in the book 'I was a Teenage Greg,' honest, go look it up."

"Morning, Mom." Tracey Vetter came into the kitchen area brushing her blonde hair. She was followed by Schankelvis, who skipped into the kitchen doing his best Cindy Brady does the pelvic thrust imitation. "Good mornin', Mama."

"Hey, that's mine," Janette cried out, trying to wrench a football out of Vachon's hands as they entered the scene.

"No, it's mine, you lost yours!" Vachon retorted.

"Now, now, boys, we must share, isn't that the Brady way?" Natalie asked, trying to supress a smile.

"Yes, Mom," the two vampires chorused. Janette handed Vachon the ball and added, "Besides, Bobby has been taking it into the bathroom with him."

Everybody in the cast looked at Vachon, who merely shrugged and picked up one of the glasses on the kitchen table that was filled with wine.

"Good morning, gang." LaCroix entered, smiling broadly at his happy brood. He was going to kill some people and very soon.

"Good morning, Dad," everyone chorused except Natalie who handed LaCroix a glass of wine and a newspaper.

"And what is everybody going to do today? Something fun and wholesome?" LaCroix beamed benevolently (which threatened to break his face in half).

"I'm going to practice my new song for cheerleading tryouts," Tracey "I'm a good cop" Vetter said perkily.

"And how does it go, honey?" Natalie asked, pouring herself a glass of orange juice that she found pleasantly spiked with vodka.

Tracey stood tall and thrust her chest out; she loved to act. Taking a deep breath (and making Vachon very glad he'd tagged along) she sang.

Do your boobs hang low?
Do they wobble to and fro?
Can you tie 'em in a knot?
Can you tie 'em in a bow?
Can your throw 'em over your shoulder
Like a continental soldier?
Do your boobs hang low?

"Young lady, you're grounded," LaCroix declared; sure, it wasn't in the script, but he had to get this blonde thing out of his sight. "That is hardly a song that befits a Brady to sing."

"Your Dad's right, Marcia, you just run along up to your room for the rest of the day," Natalie said sternly, waggling her finger at the detective.

Tracey "I'm a good cop" Vetter stamped her feet and exited, stage left.

"Hey, Dad," Vachon smiled at LaCroix, enjoying himself. "I finished my school project, wanna take a look?"

LaCroix looked at the piece of posterboard that Vachon was holding up to him. "What on earth is it?"

"The script said to make a poem about the wonderfulness of family life out of macaroni. So I did."

The older vampire looked at Vachon and wondered if the slacker pose was just a pose. "I think they meant uncooked macaroni. What did you use?"

"Spaghetti O's. I cut them into the right shapes."

"That's really disgusting," Janette commented.

"It's dripping on my pants," Nick complained.

"Young man, you're grounded for being an idiot," LaCroix declared. At least the play seemed to be moving along, he wondered where it was going. The Lurkers were still writing the last page off to the side.

"Mama, I'm gonna go find me some blue suede shoes," Schankelvis explained to Natalie, still gyrating away.

"That's very nice, dear, why don't you take Jan with you? And remember, look both ways before you cross the street, don't sign any record deals with strangers and stay away from exorcists."

"Love ya, Mama." Schankelvis gyrated off the stage, taking a still dazed Captain Reese with him.

**************************************************************

We're Lurkers
We used to have a brain cell
But we lost it and now
Our plots go straight to hell


LURKER 10
by the Lurkers

Time: 4:45 p.m.
Place: In the backseat of a pink cadillac

"Uh, Dad?" Janette shuffled her sneaker-clad feet and slowly moved closer to LaCroix.

"Yes, son?" the vampire responded, wondering if this play would ever end. He wished Janette didn't appear to be enjoying herself so much. He contemplated a long future discussion about her behavior.

"Well, Dad, uh..."

LaCroix rolled his eyes skyward and put a hand on his creation's shoulder. "What is it, Peter? You know you can tell me anything."

"Oh, in that case, your pants are bordering on a major accident and are quite obscene," Janette smiled, adlibbing a bit. She watched nervously as LaCroix's eyes reddened and then decided that sticking with the script was probably safer. She continued, "Well, gee, Dad, I was wondering... Uh, girls are different, right?"

"Yes, I'd definitely say they're different," LaCroix replied drolly.

"Well, uh, gee, Dad, the guys at school keep saying stuff and..."

"And you're confused." LaCroix attempted a fatherly smile he'd once seen Captain Von Trapp pull off in the Sound of Music. "Considering who's writing the script, I'm not suprised," he mumbled. Standing up straight, he put his arm around his "son's" shoulders. "Come on, let's go check the oil in the station wagon. We'll have a man to man chat." LaCroix wondered at the absurdity of explaining the facts of life to a thousand year-old ex-whore. He led Janette to the side of the stage with a cardboard cut-out of an old Chevy station wagon.

The exit of the two vampires left only Nick and Natalie in the kitchen set. Natalie couldn't resist a smile as she watched Nick attempting to sit in those very tight, green pants. "So, son," she bubbled, "What are your plans today? Going to practice your guitar so you can become Johnny Bravo?"

"Huh?" Nick stared at his friend then he checked his script. "I don't know, Mom. I'm not sure I've got the pelvic grind down pat yet."

"Maybe you could get your sister, Cindy, to help. She certainly looks like she's perfected it." Natalie tried to give her hair a cute little flip and nearly lobotomized herself with one of the bobby pins.

"You ain't nothin' but a hound dog, cryin' all the time," the recently dead and even more recently resurrected Schankelvis skipped and gyrated onto the kitchen set at his cue. "You ain't nothin' but a hound dog, and you ain't no friend of mine."

"Back from shopping so soon? Did you get your blue suede shoes?"

Schankelvis held up a pair of blue suede shoes, twirling them on his fingers. Suddenly, they fell to the floor, taking two of his fingers with them. Everybody on stage looked over to the directors.

"Uh, we've never actually ever resurrected anybody from the dead before. Don't think we did it quite perfectly, sorry," Rastro explained.

"I told you we should have used the chicken blood instead of Diet Coke," Maddog nudged her partner.

Schankelvis shrugged, picked up his fingers and put them in the small pink purse he was carrying. Captain Reese stared at him for a long second. "I have just got to stop eating anchovi pizza before bedtime," he decided, shaking his head in disbelief as he and Schankelvis walked over to the part of the set that consisted of some couches and a TV set.

"Mom, do you think girls like to get flowers?" Nick asked, standing up, very carefully, from the kitchen table.

"Yes, I'd say so. As a matter of fact, girls, and women, like to receive flowers, candy and other gifts on a regular basis, especially if their so called boyfriend is capable of affording them," Natalie declared, hands on hips, Carol Brady flip hair in air. Then deciding to adlib a bit herself, she addded, "And another thing, buying your girlfriend a four dollar bouquet at the back of the local grocery store on your way home from work is not the same a dozen red roses, got it, son!"

"Uh, yeah, Mom." Nick frowned, there was something else going on in that conversation but damned if he knew what it was. "So you think I should get you a corsage for the prom tonight?"

"Yeah, a damn nice one too!"

"Okay, uh...hey, there's no more script!" Nick called out.

"We're nearly done, we're nearly done, hold your horses," said Maddog, typing furiously.

"Better yet, do some deep knee bends!!" Rastro looked over at her partner in lurking and they quickly added that to the final scenes of the play.

************************************************************************

We ain't nothin' but Lurkers
Crazy all the time
We ain't nothin' but Lurkers
And our brains ain't worth a dime.


LURKER 11
by the Lurkers

Time: 4:45 p.m.
Place: Under the mold in the container of spaghetti in the back of your fridge

"Okay, here you go," Maddog handed out the freshly printed scripts. She looked around for Rastro who was making sure all the cameras were functioning properly and also that they got some really good bum shots of certain vampires.

"Everything's set," Rastro informed her. The two directors took their seats.

Natalie read over her script quickly and then looked over at the two Lurkers. "This," she said pointing to the first page, "is very familiar."

The two Lurkers shrugged and pulled out some Cadbury bars. "Oi, go for it!" the Australian director instructed.

"Greg, Marcia, Bobby, Peter!" Captain "Jan Brady" Reese yelled, trying to raise his voice into a higher octave then it had been in many, many years. "Get in here!"

The entire cast tromped over to the couch. Reese was holding up a newspaper.

"What is it?" Tracey "I'm a good cop" Vetter asked as soon as she'd arrived. For some reason both she and Vachon were now wearing headbands, love beads and t-shirts that said "Make Love, Not War."

"Oh, no, look at this," Reese pointed to an article.

Nick picked up the paper and began to read out loud, "Dear Libby. I have three children of my own and recently got remarried to someone who also had three children. I love my marriage but the kids are driving me insane. I'm not to sure I can continue on. Signed, Driven Crazy."

"Oh, no, Mom hates us!" Vachon whined.

"Probably because of your atrocious taste in music and refusal to get your hair cut," Janette informed her faux-sibling.

"At least I don't spend the entire family budget on lingerie," Vachon retorted, decidedly off script.

"Guys, guys, this is no time to argue," Nick said. "This could just as easily be referring to the girls."

"Us?" Tracey "I'm a good cop" Vetter squeaked.

"Daddy doesn't like us?" asked Captain Reese. "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia, it must be your fault!" he chanted, getting into the part at last. He adjusted his skirt daintily.

"We ain't nothing but hound dogs," Schankelvis gyrated unhappily on the couch.

"The letter could apply to either of us equally," Knight explained. "The real problem is, we've got to make sure Mom and Dad stay together."

"Why, big brother," Janette purred, running a finger along the edge of Nick's ear. "Wouldn't it be more fun if it was just us guys again?"

Knight removed Janette's hand from his body. "We're all going to have to be extra good and make sure that we don't drive them crazy."

"Or we could just call up Dear Libby and find out who sent the letter," Tracey pointed out.

"That's certainly quicker," Vachon agreed. He picked up the prop phone and handed it to Nick. "Go for it, man."

"Groovy," everyone else chorused and looked expectantly at Knight.

Reading from the script, Nick picked up the Mickey Mouse phone and spoke, "Hello, operator, please connect me to Dear Libby. Thanks very much. Yes, Dear Libby, it's an emergency, could you please come to..."

"'ere I am," Screed, dressed in a fifties-style house dress and pink fuzzy slippers, entered the stage.

"Uh, Libby," Tracey "I'm a good cop" Vetter spoke up. "We've got to find out who Driven Crazy is!"

"We don't want our Mommy and Daddy to get divorced!" Vachon whimpered.

"Well, it's like this, my young chickies. Libby ain't supposed to, like, divulge where the letters come from," Screed explained.

The assembled cast looked at each other for a moment and then did a collective cry of "Pretty please with sugar on top."

Screed shrugged, figuring that for a Uncanny X-Men Number 138 this was a pretty easy gig. "Okay, that letter didn't come from 'ere. It came from Oklahoma, which is like, uh, west of 'ere, I think."

"What's all the excitement about, gang?" Natalie and LaCroix entered the scene.

"Yes, you all seem very excited over something," LaCroix added pleasantly, which had nothing to do with the part and everything to do with his thoughts of killing certain women with possessed vegemite.

Nick handed LaCroix the letter and he and Natalie both read it. They smiled in unison and put their heads together and did an "aaaaah."

"We love all you kids too much to ever split up," Natalie declared. A group hug ensued. Screed tried to cop a hug from Tracey but found himself getting one from Schankelvis instead.

"It's so beautiful," Maddog sobbed into a handkerchief.

Rastro stared at her and declared, "You know you really shouldn't have wasted your entire childhood watching this crap."

"You should talk. That's a wrap, gang," Maddog called out. She signaled to Rastro to get the special cameras in place. "Everybody take a bow."

Glad that their ordeal was finally over, everyone walked to the front of the stage and took a bow. Unfortunately, polyester can only stretch so far. LaCroix's pants ripped. There was a quick show of baby blue silk boxer shorts with Winnie The Pooh on them.

"Got it," Rastro yelled, activating the tesseract. A huge white light flooded the stage and everything disappeared. Including the furious glowing eyes of LaCroix as he lunged for the nearest Lurker.

**************************************************************

We're Lurkers
We made LaCroix's pants too tight
Then they ripped, quite a sight -
We'll probably both die of fright


END PART ONE

[War5 Stories]