Friday, October 28, 1994

Jump to: [October 29] [October 30]

Lost Connections
By Selma McCrory

I listened as the phone rang again, frustrated at not getting anyone. First I'd tried Sharon, and then I'd tried ringing Nat at work and at home. I'm sure that someone at the Raven would have answered the phone if I had called during the night, but I was too impatient to.

Since my email had gone out, I'd had difficulty reaching anyone, and I'm not sure that my current screename was sending anything out. AOL's mail system was having fits, sometimes handing me things from yesterday, sometimes handing me the most recent stories from fkfic. Oh, I'd been reaching John occasionally, since he'd been helping me handle Vince for the last few months, but he hadn't been responding lately.

The only person I reached, or I should say, reached me, was Vince. He'd uncovered something. I could tell that he'd found something that he was excited about, even though he tried to cover it up with that calm British demeanor of his. Maybe he'll even forget that he wants to bring me across.

Well, Vince may be heading home soon, but then he may become so fascinated that he'll forget me. I pray so...

And maybe I'll find Sharon. Sometime.


Shoppers' Paradise, Sharon's Hell
By Simone "Angel" Morgan

Bzzzzzzzzzzzz.....CRASH!....bzzzz...bzz...

Angel felt better now that she had destroyed the alarm clock. 10 AM...it was too early to get up. She hoped last night had been a twisted dream. The meeting between Janette and Natalie had gone well enough. She had even found time to flirt with Jeff, and set up a time to meet with Sharon. The Ravens and Ravenettes had pulled off the meeting perfectly.

Then, after what seemed like an eternal night already, she had arrived back at her hotel suite, ready for a blissful night's sleep. Angel groaned as she thought about what the Knighties had done. Her precious wardrobe... Angel sat up. She had to go shopping! She didn't have a thing to wear! Karen had already left, taking one of Janette's credit cards with her. And Angel had discussed the situation with Janette last night. She was not amused. Yes, it was time to go shopping. But what about Sharon? Hmmm. What *about* Sharon? She wouldn't mind tagging along. Maybe Angel could recommend some appropriate outfits for the party. Angel had also been given another mission by Janette. Sharon's company would make it that much easier to accomplish.

Angel staggered out of bed, refusing to even glance in the direction of the closet. She would have to wear her outfit from last night, even if it smelled like smoke. She was glad it had been spared. It was one of her favorite ensembles.

* * *

11 am, the Raven

Sharon was waiting in front of the Raven when Angel drove up. Angel motioned her into the rental car.

"Good morning," said Sharon in an annoyingly cheerful voice, Angel noticed a half empty cup of coffee in her hand. "So where are we headed?"

As Angel began to drive, she answered, "Well, I have to pick up some clothes. I thought it would be a great opportunity for us to decide on a game plan. You don't mind shopping with me, do you?" The pained expression on Sharon's face spoke volumes. "Don't worry, it won't take long. Besides, we might find a suitable outfit for you to wear to the party. It's just a couple of days away, you know. These things can sneak up on you, and then suddenly you realize you don't have a thing..." Sharon's annoyed glance cut her off mid-sentance.

"Look," said Angel, in a no-nonsense voice, "I'm having a slight...complication with my clothes. I need to get some. You're coming along." It was not a request.

Sharon took a closer look at Angel. *Wow, she looks beat.* Although her hair and makeup were impeccable, there were bags under her eyes even the makeup couldn't hide. And what was that smoke smell? Sharon realized with a start that Angel was in the same outfit she had worn to the Raven. The stockings, the boots, everything was identical. What was going on?

"Haven't you gone to bed yet?" she asked.

Angel's chuckle made her wonder even more. "Let's just say it was an unusual night. I deserve a shopping spree," she replied with a cheerful smile. Angel seemed to be her usual friendly self again. Too friendly for Sharon's peace of mind.

An hour and a few thousand dollars later, they had been to seven shops, and had seven large bags of clothing to show for their efforts. Every concievable type of clothing and accessory had been purchased. And Angel had been less than subtle about using Janette's credit card. Sharon was annoyed. She detested shopping, but had to admit that Angel was the fastest shopper she had ever seen. Still, almost nothing had been resolved. The morning had been passed with sly attacks and subtle barbs.

Sharon breathed a sigh of relief as they left the shop. "Done?"

"Just one more stop. Janette's tailor needs to fit me for some things."

"You're kidding, right?"

"Half of the things I need can't be store bought," Angel replied as if talking to an ignorant child. "I'm having them made instead. See, lighting cigarettes has it's perks." She laughed to herself.

Sharon ignored the jibe, wondering if they would ever get back to the subject she was there to discuss. "So how are you planning on getting everyone to the party?"

"Oh, that'll be simple enough. I'll send out an invitation to the Die-Hards this afternoon. They can't resist an opportunity to mediate. You ladies aren't a problem. We can extend a banquet invitation to the FoD's. They're easily enticed. Since *some of us* aren't on a budget, we can go all out. If we can lure Nick to the party, the Knighties (she almost spat the word) will follow. And he's not hard to trick. Besides, the Knightie spies at the Raven last night probably helped prod them into action. The Cousins will be more difficult. I think torment is the only thing they understand, so that's what we've been using to spur them into action. See, it's simple."

Sharon wasn't so sure. "Wouldn't honesty be a better method? I can't imagine everyone turning down a party invitation." She guaged Angel's reaction carefully.

"Sharon, you don't seem to realize how serious this is. We can't take chances. I would rather be sure of their presence and be deceptive than be honest and fail."

"Yeah, the Ravenettes seem to live by that, just like their mistress."

"Rather deception without pain for anyone than bluntness and lack of finesse like your friends. Who benefits from that?" she asked as she pulled up to the tailor shop and got out of the car.

Sharon followed Angel into the expensive shop. A little man came forward, greeting them profusely. "Mademoiselle Angel, welcome back. Is the cloak to your liking?"

"Oh, yes, Edouard, it has worked out splendidly. Did you receive the list of things I'll be selecting today?" Angel asked. When Edouard nodded, she said, "Then lets get started."

As Edouard hurried out of the room, Angel started examining the creations hanging all over the shop. She eyed a lovely silk dress.

"What do you think?" she asked Sharon.

"It's nice, but isn't it a bit conservative for you?"

"Not for me, silly. For you. You haven't gotten anything for the party yet. And it looks like a perfect fit. Come on, try it on. You'll love it." Angel started pulling Sharon towards a dressing room. "Don't look at me like that. Listen, if money's the problem, I'm sure Janette would rather pay for your outfit than have you show up looking like a..."

"No, Angel. Look, I don't *need* more clothes. I'm sure my own clothes will be fine."

Angel tilted her head and just looked dubiously at Sharon, who was dressed simply in jeans, a t-shirt, and a long grey wool coat.

Sharon glanced down, then looked back up at her. "Don't start," she warned.

"Just *one* outfit!" Angel protested.

Sharon shook her head, holding her hands out in front of her as if warding Angel off. "Thanks, but no," she said.

Angel sighed and shook her head. Just then Edouard returned, his arms loaded with velvets and other black fabrics. As he started measuring and draping, Sharon paced around the shop. She had to admit that Edouard's creations really were beautiful. She was restless, and decided to pry more information out of Angel while Edouard held her captive. "Angel, I've started wondering what this party is really all about."

Angel laughed under her breath. "There are things that need to be resolved. You don't understand what's going on, but trust me, this party is essential for all of us."

"Oh? And why's that?" Sharon asked, as Edouard left for a moment.

"Look Sharon, I'm not sure what exactly is happening either. Janette has us doing some confusing things. Doing background research that just doesn't fit together. Asking scary people unusual questions. And I've been trying to figure this out while relaying the information to Janette. There is something big going on. And I'd prefer not to speculate what it is."

"Oh, yeah, you're just a mortal. This is none of your business, right?" Despite her comment, Sharon was thrilled that she was finally getting somewhere. Angel had been elusive with most of her responses.

"Did I say that? Maybe this as a problem we can't solve. From the looks of it, I'm happy to leave it to Janette and the others. This whole situation is getting really strange." Although Angel was getting annoyed, Sharon could tell she was serious.

"How's that?" Sharon asked.

"I dunno...I've just had these feelings since I got here. Something's not right. I feel like I'm being watched, like people know things but won't speak up, all kinds of stuff. Maybe I'm just paranoid. Wars can do that to a person." Sharon just shrugged.

Edouard returned with a rack full of gorgeous dresses. Angel couldn't disguise her delight. Sharon could have sworn she saw mischief in that smile. "Mademoiselle, I've done all the measurements. I can have the velvet dress ready by tonight. I'll have the rest delivered to you as I finish them. Mademoiselle Janette suggested you look at the dresses here for..."

"Thank you Edouard. I appreciate you doing this on such short notice." The man nodded and left the room. Angel started flipping through the dresses.

"Don't you have enough? You're going to need new luggage if you buy any more stuff." Sharon was getting exasparated.

Angel just smiled slyly. "Oooh, look at this!" She held up a dark red dress. "My favorite color. That dried blood shade."

"Uh. . .i--it's nice?" she stammered. Sharon had never seen anything quite like it, not that there was all that much to it, and it was beyond her how someone could wear something like that in public. In fact, she'd be embarrassed to wear something like that in the privacy of her own home where no one could see her! "But I thought you didn't wear red."

Angel laughed. "Stranger things have happened. I'll take it." She signalled to Edouard that she had made her choice. He put it in a box for her, and the two women were on their way.

Sharon was so relieved to get out of there. "We're going back now. Can you drop me off at Nat's?"

"Sure. I'm done for today. It's been a long time since I had a good day's rest, so I think I'll take the rest of the day off."

"You haven't exactly been working."

Angel harrumphed. "You'd be surprised."

Sharon decided not to probe any further on this subject. "I'll be heading to New York pretty soon to secure those pubs. Are you going to check out the 'Jeckyl and Hyde'?"

"No. Janette wants me here. I'll send some of the others ahead and come down with Janette later this weekend."

Sharon started to get out of the car, but turned back toward Angel. "We'd better be able to trust you," she said.

"The same goes for you," Angel said evenly, putting the car into gear.

"Mmmm. Well, it's been...interesting. I'll see you at the party." And with that, Sharon got out of the car and headed into building.

Angel chuckled as she drove away. Her mission was accomplished. She had worked things out with Sharon and gotten Natalie a dress all in one fell swoop.


Saturday, October 29, 1994


Party Favors
By Sharon Himmanen

The Jeckyll and Hyde

It was the last of the pubs on her list to check. Arriving back from Toronto early Friday morning, she'd spent most of Friday evening at The Slaughtered Lamb and The Jack the Ripper. She smiled to herself as she stood outside the third pub. Janette was not going to be happy--from the look of things, the Jack the Ripper was by far the smallest of the three.

She'd spoken to the managers of all three by phone on Friday, and was assurred that all the arrangements for the meeting and party had been arranged. Friday night, the manager of the Slaughtered Lamb had taken her down to the dungeon and they'd walked through the tunnels that connected the three clubs. All three tunnels met up in a large centrally located room with three exits.

The tunnels were the best part, Sharon thought, although it did present certain problems. It *would* allow for easy travelling between the three pubs, but she also saw the potential for trouble. She'd made a note to make sure that someone tried to keep an eye on tunnel traffic during the party and meeting.

Taking a table in the back of The Jeckyll and Hyde she decided that both Natalie and Nick would like this pub, especially appreciating the "For adventurers and mad scientists" logo over the sign. It was smaller than The Slaughtered Lamb but much larger than The Jack the Ripper, with an upper level and several alcoves. Like the other three, the bar was located near the door. And the decor was perfect. All three had a horror motif. There were plenty of skelatons, creepy paintings with fake eyes, and the Jack the Ripper even had a display case with lots of knives and meat cleavers.

Sitting at a table near the back and sipping her quarter yard of ale, Sharon set up Karyl's laptop which she'd borrowed for the weekend and began making notes and drafting out a quick floorplan marking exits (including windows, especially those located in the restrooms) and where the entrance to the tunnel was located, adding it to the same information she'd gathered on the other pubs. She'd sampled dinners, drinks and desserts at all three too, and put that information in as enticement for the FoDs should it be necessary.

Remembering how handy the fireworks had been during the last war in July, she included a few suggestions as to where to put items such as flashlights, first aid kits, and a few other things they might need for cover should things suddenly get strange. Which was always a distinct possibility for which it was always best to be prepared, although she thought it best to keep that last bit of information to herself and a few others from her group. Things were less likely to go all flooey if people didn't spend the evening expecting it because someone had anticipated and prepared for it.

A few more comments, and the document was ready to be sent out as soon as she got home. The party was set for Tuesday night and Sharon knew and had warned everyone that the area would be a zoo tomorrow night, between the parade and general mayhem of Halloween.

Janette and most of the other Ravenettes would arrive sometime tomorrow. Sharon had also heard from Linda, Tanaquil and Elizabeth. They'd rented a car and were driving down. She'd meet Nat at the airport tomorrow afternoon. And Sharon had *finally* heard from Selma, whose mailer had gone down without warning (and wasn't the timing on *that* suspicious?). So things were gradually coming together. But coming together for . . . what?

For the umpteenth time Sharon wondered just what was going on. When she'd spoken with Natalie this morning they'd brainstormed over exactly what Janette had meant about the extreme danger they were all in and had come up empty. The only "information" Natalie had been able to pry from Janette was that she wasn't to worry about her outfit because that had been taken care of. And *that* had Natalie terribly worried. Other than that, Natalie was as in the dark as everyone else, but she promised to share as much information as she could once the meeting was over.

With a sigh, Sharon shut down the laptop and looked around the club over her half empty glass of ale.


Pub Reports
By Sharon Himmanen

TO: The NatPack
CC: Ravenettes, Knighties, Die-Hards 
FROM: Sharon Himmanen 
SUBJ: Pub report 

Here, as promised, are some details about the pubs.

All three are located in Greenwich Village, and all are within close
proximity of one another, separated by only a few blocks and within very
short walking distance of one another. 

The Slaughtered Lamb, which we have designated as LaCroixUs base of
operations (do we know how weUre getting him there?) is located at 182
West 4th Street. ThereUs a werewolf in a glass case located outside, and
outside seating for those who want it. As is the case with all three pubs,
the building is made of brick (Nick should feel right at home) and a fully
stocked bar is located to your left as you enter the building. Full yard,
half yard and foot long glasses (one would assume that the later would be
quarter yard, but the logical progression obviously escaped them for some
reason, which now that I think about it is just as well since there
probably isnUt much beer to be had in a quarter yard glass but thatUs
beside the point) and accompanying wooden racks are hanging above the bar. 

Seating is available on the main level of the Slaughtered Lamb. ItUs a
reasonably large sized club, but thereUs also a basement area called The
Dungeon. Both levels are dimly lit and have tables. Some of the decor in
The Dungeon include manicles, and thereUs a skelaton down there as well.
There are several monitors located throughout the pub which show horror
movies (this is true for The Jack the Ripper as well). For instance, the
night I was there they showed Night Breed. The door to the tunnels is
located in the basement, just pass the stairs as you come down. Seating
there is availabe on both sides, with the stairs decending into the middle
of the room. 

The Jack the Ripper (228 West 4th Street) is by far the smallest of the
three clubs, but itUs the only one with space for a band or DJ and
dancing. That is located to the left, in the rear of the club just as you
pass the bar.  Tables a all located on the right side of the club. As I
said, itUs the smallest, but it seats a fair number, and itUs by far the
darkest of the three clubs I think.. O course thereUs a Jack the Ripper
standing outside, and inside, there are a few skelatons, and a large
display case containing knives and meat cleavers and so on. The tunnel
entrace is again in the back. ThereUs a short flight of stairs leading
down to the main tunnel. All three tunnels, BTW, meet up in the center in
a large room. 

The Jeckyll and Hyde (91 Seventh Avenue South) is by far the best one,
IMO. ThereUs outside seating, and inside seating on the main level.
ThereUs also an upper level called The Cannibal Cafe which was closed off
for a private party the night I checked it out. Bar is again on the left,
there are *a lot* of tabl and the decor is jam packed with all kinds of
cool stuff. There are street lamps strewn throughout the club. They have
big bats on them. There are skelatons everywhere, including one doing a
yard of ale and a whole skelaton crew suspended upside down from the
ceiling in a boat. ThereUs a suit of armor that has seizures at intervals
and a big gargoyle that talks and has red eyes.  ThereUs a Sphinx on the
wall and a fireplace. The entrance to the tunnel is located in a secret
passage behind the bookcase in the rear of the pub (also where the
bathrooms are located). 

In addition to whatever mixed drinks you can think of, all three pubs
boast a *very* impressive collection of beers from around the world. I
recommend the Newcastle Ale and the Old Peculiar Ale. Both are brewed
locally and are excellent. They serve pretty traditional English
food--Shepherd's Pie, Fish and Chips (with a very good, heavily dilled
tartar sauce) and so on. Deserts include Snicker's Pie, Chocolate Mousse
Pie, Reese's Pieces pie, and carrot cake. 

Exits are pretty limited to the front door, unfortunately.  And of course
through the tunnels. 

Sharon


Sunday, October 30, 1994


Shifting Locations (or How To Lose An Errant Vampire )
By Selma McCrory

I like flying, to some extent. I've travelled so much in my lifetime that planes mean very little to me except a way to get from one place to another.

This time I was actually travelling in an airplane with other people. The last few months, I had been taking a regular flight over to Silicon Valley, but since those flights had been courtesy of Vince, I had somewhat forgotten how it felt to fly with a plane around you.

I finally got in touch with Sharon, and was surprised to find out that I'd missed a trip to Toronto. Oh, well. I'd gotten a little of that city when I was playing LaCroix's errand girl last war. Now I was headed to New York, to see Sharon. And to help her out with whatever she'd implied. I was reading Jeckyll and Hyde, but I couldn't figure out why she wanted me to read it.

I checked my watch. Only an hour to go.

Now I would entertain myself with thoughts of Vince landing in Sacramento with me in New York. I leaned back and smiled as I thought of his rage. After all, I had something to do that didn't involve him.

Shifting a little in my chair, I snoozed off.


At the Airport
By Selma McCrory

I arrived in the airport on time, and it was fun to finally get off the plane. I keep forgetting this, but Sacramento to New York is not exactly a short trip. Even Sacramento to Ontario, California (nearest airport to my Alma Mater) takes an hour.

So, I was off the plane, and I'd picked up my luggage. Two days of clothes doesn't take up the world's greatest amount of space, but my blankets did. I was camping out at Sharon's and I figured that I could do her a favor and bring my own stuff for sleeping on the floor. Now I was looking for the international arrivals to meet Sharon and Nat. Actually, I was supposed to meet Sharon at Nat's gate. I've been in larger airports (Heathrow comes to mind), but I think that this one was big enough.

I found the gate where Nat was supposed to come in. Sharon hadn't arrived yet, but I wasn't worried. The last time I was in this airport, I was in transit from Los Angeles to Stockholm, and I was impressed with the amount of things I could get to stay entertained while waiting.

Sharon joined me at Nat's gate, and caught me up on current events. Nat's flight was a little late, but she seemed in relative good spirits.

We were all going to need good spirits.


Inspired by Dracula (Part 1 of 2)
By Jennie Hayes, Amy Hull and Valerie Meachum

Thursday morning, (10/27):

"I have to go back to work," Jennie sighed as she hung up the phone, "they've canceled one of my projects and want it wrapped up as soon as possible. It shouldn't take too long, most of what I still had to do can just be dropped, so I just have to make sure nothing's left hanging. This is gonna be depressing." She slumped against the wall. "Valerie, why don't I head to your place afterwards, like we planned with Amy? We should at least make sure she's informed of all that's happening. She *is* a Natpacker too!"

"Do you think we can get her to join in? She's usually stayed on the sidelines during the wars!"

"Hmm...that's usually because of time constraints. She seems to have a bit more free time these days, since she's got a regular teaching job. That could be a problem, though. She won't be able to spend much time away from her class. Too bad this isn't taking place in the summer!"

"Then we'll have to see if we can come up with something!"

"Mm-hmm!"

* * *

Very Early Saturday Morning sometime (10/29):

"You know, I just realized something," Amy peered at the expressway signs they were passing, "there's really nothing much between here and Columbus."

"You mean we should've stopped for dinner before leaving Indianapolis?" Jennie made a face at the open fields they were currently passing.

"Yep. Oh, I also didn't tell you that we were supposed to call Jack before we left the airport, so they know when to expect us!"

"Well, we can tell him that the airport was closing. I sure didn't expect it to take so long to get through Chicago. I knew it would be bad but it was worse than bad. Just keep your eyes peeled for a Dennys or something."

"This is gonna be so good. I can't wait to see Valerie in the Scottish Play. She's gonna make such a good witch."

* * *

Sunday (10/30):

"Let's grab some Taco Bell before we head out," Valerie suggested. "That way we won't have to stop and we'll have plenty of time."

"Sounds good," Jennie replied, ever agreeable.

"Okay," Amy echoed vaguely. A moment later she shook her head as if to clear it. "I'm still kind of zoned from standing out in the sun. It's really hot today."

Valerie raised her eyebrows and cast a worried look at Jennie, "It's only 70, my dear," she commented.

"I know, but the sun is just *hot*--especially since it's directly on me. And anyway; I'm wearing my list shirt and it's *black*.

"Uh huh." Valerie and Jennie chorused, clearly unconvinced. "Just like Lisa Jacy is really tan just because she looks like it next to you in that picture," Jennie teased. "Sure."

The sun still hung directly overhead as the three Natpackers pulled into Dayton's downtown district. After an initial and abortive attempt to park, they found a small lot for the car. They got out and crossed the street (Jennie and Valerie reminded Amy that in a *city* like this, they should *really* use the crosswalk and wait for the appropriate light). They walked over to the theater and oohed and aahed over the lovely poster of Dracula the Ballet, then headed for the lobby to purchase tickets, having to wait a bit for the box office to open. They soon secured good tickets and, to kill time, browsed in the theater's gift shop. There were wonderful t-shirts with lightning for the Dracula production, t-shirts with bloodied fangs, and other goodies.

"Oh, look!" Jennie suddenly enthused. "A shirt that says 'NatPack' ....oh...." she broke off as she spread the t-shirt out and saw it was part of the company's merchandising for their production of the Nutcracker.

"You know you've been watching too much FK when...." the other two giggled. While making minor purchases, the trio discovered that curtain for Dracula was an hour later than they had thought and so decided to explore Dayton's downtown. They glanced at the alleys, pointed at the streetcar wires, and quickly stumbled across a large Nieman Marcus.

"Oh, we *have* to go in and get something nice to wear to the party! We don't want the Raven/ettes to get to do all the shopping in this war!" Valerie nodded to the nearest door and they headed for it enthusiastically. "We'll beat them at their own game."

"What party?" Amy, who had not been keeping up well with the war proceedings, asked curiously.

"All the factions are meeting in New York for a party at the pubs," Jennie explained. "That's why we're working with the Ravenettes; they need us to get Nick to invite the Knighties."

"Because he's a blond brick with fangs who wouldn't come without feeling he needed to be there to protect us," Valerie interjected.

They approached the door of the Nieman Marcus and only then realized that it like the street and the sidewalks, looked decidedly empty and unoccupied.

"Aww, it's closed Sundays," Amy made a face at the sign. "They must still have blue laws here; none of the other shops look open either. But we *are* Nat-Packers, after all; we only *think* we know what we're doing. We can go shopping after the ballet if we go somewhere else."

"Yeah, we *have* to get something appropriate so they won't show us up at the party," Jennie observed. "We could go to that little bagel shop and wait for curtain; it looks open."

"Good--that will get us out of the sun. It's so *bright* today," Amy complained as she shoved her sunglasses further up her nose.

Valerie and Jennie looked at each other in mild concern. "Pretty soon she's even going to have Nat worried about her," Valerie commented wryly.

* * *

The curtain came down and the lights came on for intermission, but Amy, Jennie and Valerie didn't even move from their seats. They looked at each other. "Wow," Valerie and Jennie mouthed in unison. Amy nodded. Their appreciative comments all began simultaneously, overlapping as they babbled their enjoyment of they show and applauded the talent of its performers.

"This music is fabulous. Perfect for the story."

"Did those costumes on Dracula's wives look familiar? Just like Valerie's banshee/red shoes costume!"

"It was so cool, how the dancer playing Dracula managed to make his mouth look like he had fangs, even though he wasn't wearing any!"

"How could they dance in those long skirts without tripping? One move and I would've landed on my nose!"

"Oh, but aren't the dresses *gorgeous*??"

"Yeah, the costuming is absolutely *brilliant*."

They continued in that vein for quite some time, then Amy shook her head. "I just seem to be so sleepy. This is a really good show, but my eyes don't want to stay open."

"Are you feeling OK? You were having trouble with the sun bothering you before, now you're sleepy..." Valerie looked concerned.

"I'm fine, I'm just a bit sleepy."

The house lights dimmed for the second act.

* * *

After the show, the trio jumped up and ran out to look for the stage door. Unfortunately, there was no stage door in evidence, not even when they walked around the entire building, so they decided to wait in front of the main entrance.

They waited. And waited. Then they walked down to the corner and back and waited some more, gushing about the ballet the whole time. The policeman who'd been sitting in front of the theater apparently decided they were harmless (hah!) and moved on. Finally, they got a chance to pounce on some of the dancers, complimenting them on the performance.

"I've never seen a Lucy with remorse before!" Valerie gushed to the lady who had danced that part.

Later, at dinner, the topic had hardly changed at all. "You know, I wish we could find dresses like those ballgowns to wear for the party. It *is* Halloween-time, so they'd be appropriate." Jennie looked up to find Valerie staring at her like she'd just said something brilliant. "What?"

"Yes! That's it! We can *make* them for ourselves!"

"In one day? Are we *ever* going to sleep?"

"Sleep is for con wimps. Besides, we have to look presentable, preferably by Janette's standards. With three of us sewing we should get them done in plenty of time." Valerie looked like she was issuing a challenge.

Amy nodded thoughtfully. "Oooooh, that's an idea!! And, you know, this could work. We each have a sewing machine, so I could do long seams (I love long seams), Jennie could do the gathering, and you could put the things together since you *are* the costume designer."

"So who's going to get which dress?" Jennie asked curiously.

"That purple dress *was* really nice. I like purple." Amy looked wistful.

"So Amy gets the purple dress! I liked the blue one," Jennie offered hastily.

"And I get Lucy's!" Valerie looked very happy about that. "We'd better go, then, and get to work. Where's the waitress with our check?"

* * *

The drive back to Columbus was filled with sewing plans. Amy kept a list of the items they would need to construct their respective dresses, and Valerie sketched the patterns for the three slightly different styles, while Jennie drove quickly. As soon as they hit Columbus they made a beeline for the So-Fro which, happily for their checkbook balances, was having a massive going-out-of- business sale. While Valerie searched pattern books for model patterns that could be easily adapted to the styles of the dancers' costumes, Amy and Jennie collected lace, buttons, fake roses, beads, thread, crinolines, and virtually the entire remaining taffeta section of the store. They finished just five minutes before the store closed, then headed for Valerie's, all set to take over the entire downstairs with their yards of fabric and lace.

Hours and massive quantities of caffeine and FK tapes later, the dresses were starting to take shape and the three seamstresses were beginning to be quite punchy.

"Well, I *have* to go to New York now," Amy was explaining, half to make sure she understood it herself. "I mean, I have a new dress to wear. So I have to go. But I'll have to figure out how to get off work."

"So call in sick," Jennie suggested.

"But then I'd feel like I was lying," Amy protested.

Valerie began to giggle. "You could call and tell them you have hematolopapsia and it's flaring up. You had trouble with it this summer and then today you were too." Valerie grinned broadly as she looked up from the sleeves she was stitching. "They dont' have to know what it is, and it sounds technical enough that they probably won't question you."

"That's *perfect*," Jennie gasped through her own giggles. Amy only nodded and bobbed one fist in a signed "yes"; she was laughing too hard to produce speech at that moment.

The dressmaking continued until sunup, and by 10:20, three ball gowns were hanging from the louvre doors and their creators were admiring their handiwork.

"Now all we have to do is sew on the little extras like Valerie's flowers and my beads." Jennie smiled at her new, and very appropriate, garment.

"Yeah, we need to start rotating showers. Whoever's not showering should be collecting stuff if we're going to catch our plane at 1:30. Then we can arrange hairdos and put on makeup on the plane, get dressed in the airport bathrooms, and get to the pubs by rendezvous time," Valerie said.

"Good idea," Amy replied. "Why don't you go first and I'll start filling a bag with our notions. We can't forget the flowers and beads. And Jennie and I have to remember the black ribbon for our chokers. It's kind of cool that my ruffle matches the choker. And it's *really* cool that I happened to have brought my good lipstick along."

"You know," Valerie said, "maybe you should take your shower first; your hair will take the longest to dry and if I'm going to put it up on the plane..."

"Good point," Amy agreed, and began grabbing what she needed for her shower.

They got out of the apartment at 12:50 and were the last passengers to board their flight to New York. The flight attendants tried rather unsuccessfully to avoid bemused grins at the trailing threads and piles of taffeta on the trio's laps.

"Whew. That was a close call," Jennie commented as she leaned back to relax for a moment in her seat.

"We've had much worse," Valerie smiled. "At least we're on the plane. This way we will get to the Jeckyl and Hyde at just about the time Natalie told us to meet."

"Sounds like a plan," Jennie replied.

"Yep," Amy agreed. "Now let's hope we can finish the notions, hair, makeup, dressing, *and* make it through New York traffic. This could work."


END PART THREE

[NatPack War3 Stories]