Monday, October 24, 1994

Jump to: [October 26]

[No NatPack-related activities occurred on October 24.]


Tuesday, October 25, 1994


Mrs. Peel, We're Needed
By Sharon Himmanen

Of course the phone had been ringing as she walked into her apartment. And of course it had been Natalie asking her to come to Toronto that afternoon.

"Come right to my office," Natalie said.

"Hey! Will I get to see an autopsy?"

"Mmmm, maybe. If you're good," Natalie promised. "But make sure you meet up with Linda and Elizabeth at the airport." She gave Sharon the flight information as well as the best way to get downtown to the Coroner's Building.

Luckily she had a slew of frequent flyer miles from the last war. After a few calls, she was on her way to the airport, after making sure that there was a ticket to Toronto for Selma if she wanted it.

The trip was pretty uneventful and Sharon used the time to catch up on lost sleep and to think about the Raven and Janette. She was well into her third war and she had so far had only minimal contact with Janette. Tomorrow night should be interesting, she thought, although she had snorted loudly when Natalie told her about Janette's request for proper apparel.

Toronto airport was pretty much like any other airport, and Sharon located the gate she needed with no trouble. Holding up her sign with Linda's name on it, she waited patiently until a medium height blond woman approached her with a broad smile and a firm handshake. She immediately wanted to know what was going on, and Sharon filled her in as best she could, while they walked to the other side of the airport to pick up Elizabeth.

Elizabeth's plane was late, but she finally arrived, and Sharon again found herself telling as much of the story as she knew, although her knowledge of exactly what was supposed to happen tomorrow night at the Raven was sketchy at best.

Deciding that a cab ride was quicker and ultimately cheaper than any of the shuttles, they chatted among themselves as they rode toward downtown Toronto and the Coroner's Building, which they arrived at just after dark.

Natalie had told her that she'd be working late and that Grace was expecting them, so they'd get in to see her with no trouble.

It was definitely going to be an interesting couple of days, Sharon thought as they climbed the steps of the Coroner's building.


Daughter of the Wind
By Valerie Meachum

Valerie had been jumpy all day, anxious to escape the shackles of the laser printer as it spit out 93 bazillion letters asking for money that all had be be signed, stuffed, and mailed by Thursday afternoon. Sometime she really had to do something about that habit of making herself indispensible at work...except that every time she tried to teach someone else how to deal with the Jurassic monstrosity they called a database, they wanted no part of it. It was her baby, and today she *really* hadn't wanted it.

No matter. She was home now, and free to act on Natalie's request for her presence, along with that of the other NatPackers, at some sort of powwow at the Raven tomorrow night.

She'd never quite made it to the Raven last war--probably a good thing, she'd managed to get Janette quite annoyed enough at her in Nick's loft, criticizing her callous indifference to her "followers". Valerie swore to herself there wouldn't be a repeat of that, although from what she'd heard Janette was up to the same old game, suddenly conveniently forgetting Susan's existence the second she had drawn Dorian's attention.

Dorian. She couldn't help a little shudder at the thought. She was dreadfully worried for Susan, but there was also a suspicion that the Empress of FKFIC wouldn't be the only hapless writer to fall headlong into this enigmatic "loophole" in the Code. Valerie herself hadn't been very active lately, but recent revelations about Janette's history had echoed to closely her own speculations on the subject nearly two years before.

Eep. Another icky thought...something else for Janette to hold against her. Maybe she wouldn't be the best person to have at this meeting after all...

"Focus, kiddo, it's gotta be done." Critically Valerie examined the haphazard pile of stuff next to her dumped-out dance bag, clutching at the silver-and-lapis-lazuli pentagram around her neck for the umptieth time, jsut for a little dash of stability. Clean underwear, anti-perspirant, toothbrush--wouldn't do much good to be "properly dressed" by Janette's standard if her personal hygiene fell by the wayside. Black velvet leggings, pirate shirt, conch belt, more silver gypsy jewelry than she usually wore in a week these days. Moderate heels, enough to accentuate her height without making her walk like Audrey in Little Shop of Horrors. All her makeup was at the theatre, since she had no use for it in everyday life; Janette would just have to put up with a naked face in her precious club.

As an afterthought, and not really certain why, she tossed in her Art Nouveau Tar, a small pouch of various pet crystals. Glancing at thehe bookshelf, she eyed Llyr, her atheme, and decided to slip it into the small purse she had substitued for her usual Dreaded Bottomless Bag.The weight of the small pewter dagger was comforting, though she fervently hoped the blade would stay right where it was.

"Guess that's it," she sighed, topping off the dance bag with the mobile physical therapy unit that normally lived in it: a couple Ace bandages, a chemical cold pack, adhesive tape and Band-Aids galore, neosporin, Ben-Gay. That, too, she hoped would be an unnecessary precaution.

With another sigh she pulled out her car keys, mentally steeling herself for the 8-hour drive to Toronto.

"You won't need those."

"Who the hell...?!" A heartbeat ago she had been alone; Jack and their British houseguest Karen were off exploring the various bookstores of Columbus, taking a break from Karen's steady devoural of the FK tapes downstairs. Now there was a strange man standing in her cluttered bedroom. Llyr was out of her purse in a flash, but the man made no move either toward or away from her.

"You won't need that either. I'm no threat to you."

"Yeah?" Valerie kept the blade at ready, meeting the intruder's gaze far more steadily than she expected. "So how about an explanation?"

He gave her one, and by the time he was finished she still wasn't certain whether to put the dagger away or clutch it tighter. Dragutin! She'd heard the name only once, in the cryptic post John had sent in the aftermath of the last war by way of apology for trying to make a meal of her in Nick's apartment. This guy was a crony of that Enforcer, not just a vampire but a wizard to boot. And he was trying to tell her *her* power was needed, that she could go to the NatPack/Raven summit because it was important but that she too figured into the tangle of fate involving Susan, Dorian, and the Enforcers.

"Like hell I do!" she snapped in response to that one. "There's nothing 'fate' about it. What there *is* is a friend of mine in danger because your paranoid Code can't deal with her knowing things she has *no* intention of using against you!"

"It isn't *my* Code," Dragutin objected.

"You know what I mean! Susan and her stories are no threat to the vampire community, and I'll bet Dorian knows it! He's just covering for some agenda of his own!"

The mage looked at her sharply. "What made you say that?"

Valerie opened her mouth to answer, closed it, opened it again, and admitted, "I have no idea."

"Just like you had no idea why you wrote that Janette had been a prostitute."

"That was a nightmare I had to get out of my head! And for gosh sakes, *don't* mention it to her--I'm hoping she hasn't noticed that story."

"But you may be certain Dorian has," Dragutin pointed out. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."

"Don't you throw that at me! That's my phrase! That's for Creepy Crowley Clone from my old dorm and the rest of the nuts who think they can use magic for whatever they want. I'm a simple witch. I don't push what I don't understand when I don't belong."

Dragutin shook his head. "Sometimes it pushes at you, child. A witch, yes, but you have never been simple. This knowledge comes to you without your asking, and it pulls you into the midst of this game. You have to recognize your power and learn where you *do* belong if there is any hope for Susan and for the rest of you who pluck our lives out of thin air and put them on paper."

"That's what Dorian wants, isn't it!"

"I don't know." She didn't know whether to believe him, but there was no hint of a lie about him, and far more often than not she *knew*. It wasn't that unusual, lots of people did that, including Natalie... "Oh, cripes, Nat's going to *flip* about this one! Just what she needs."

"Circumstances will force her to recognize her power soon enough," Dragutin predicted. "For now, it's your turn."

Valerie thought it over; it only took a second, really. It was a risk to trust this person, but the prospect of rescuing Susan was worth it. First, though, she had to answer the summons--the Susan issue would be a part of this meeting, she was sure, but there were other issues she knew nothing about as yet, and she knew with leaden certainty that they were equally important.

She had only time to wonder what Jack and Karen would think when they returned to find her gone as expected but Angelique the Wonder Metro still parked outside, and to fervently hope Janette had never read "Silent All These Years." Then her bedroom vanished abruptly, replaced by Grenville Street outside the Coroner's Building.

After a stunned second, she asked, "Can I learn that?"

"First thing, if I have anything to say about it. We will discuss that soon."

"That was just you? No Trump, no nothing?"

"You speak of the gate card you had of the Raven that destroyed itself? No, such things are only obstacles."

"Oh." Valerie wondered briefly what her Amber-gamemaster fiance would think of his masterpiece being called an "obstacle"; but since it had gone kaput for no discernible raeson several weeks ago she suppoed Dragutin had a point. "Well, let's see if we can get in to talk to her."


Wednesday, October 26, 1994


A Meeting of Minds
By Susan Garrett and Sharon Himmanen

Angel was standing by the bar, looking slightly green--although it might have been the lighting. Making a mental note to have Miklos light to place to flatter the mortals, Janette sidled up to her. "Are we ready, cher?"

Nodding, after a moment's pause, Angel indicated the various Ravens and Ravenettes that had assembled. "I think everyone's here."

"Good. Bring them to me for a moment. I think they should have a . . . what would one call it . . . a 'pep' talk?"

When Angel looked at her oddly, Janette smiled. "That's what I'm supposed to do, isn't it? So, gather my troops."

She waited, moving to the far end of the bar as Angel moved among the crowd, tapping this shoulder, touching that arm. It was only a word or two, sometimes a glance in her direction for confirmation. In response, Janette merely raised the glass Miklos placed beside her hand, letting them know that they were summoned.

"Quite a large crowd," commented Miklos, as he dried a glass with a towel. "Do you think you can handle them?"

Janette's smile was pained as she touched his cheek with the tip of her fingernail. "They're only mortals, after all. How difficult can it be?"

"I've heard rumors." When Janette raised an eyebrow, he added, "In July--"

The fire in her eyes told him that he was treading dangerous ground. He escaped to the other side of the bar. Janette might have chased him down, but her followers were gathering.

Seating herself on a barstool, she took the cigarette Robert handed her, then allowed Jeff to light it. "Children," she said, after a pause and a puff, "this meeting will be very important to us. To all of us. So I'll ask you to stay on your best behavior. Be careful with Natalie's little friends.' And be tolerant--she hasn't trained hers as well as I train mine and they believe they may do what they wish." Leaning her head back, she puffed on the cigarette again and blew smoke into the air. "Of course, you all know better."

There was a slight stirring amongst them, but no murmurs of dissent. Good. She didn't want any ruffled feathers now.

"What would you like us to do?" asked Betsy.

"Be . . . gracious. Offer them drinks. Make them comfortable--they've had such a difficult journey. Probably coach fare, no?" She let the giggles and chuckles among her group subside, taking another drag from her cigarette. We need their assistance and their cooperation. Show them what I can offer. Let them see the gifts I've given you. If a few of her friends might consider my sponsorship more appealing . . . she'll let them go easily enough. She let's them make their own choices--silly woman." Tapping out her cigarette in an ashtray on the bar, Janette fixed her gaze on each of those assembled in turn. "But this is no membership drive. Tread carefully. We'll need Natalie and her friends as allies if we're to achieve our end. If any of you starts any type of altercation, you'll answer to me. Do you understand?"

"But what--?" Risha hesitated, looked at Karen, then cleared her throat when Janette settled her gaze on her. "What about revenge? For what they did to you the last time? I mean, I wasn't here, but I heard about it and . . . ."

Janette stiffened, hearing Miklos' quiet chuckle from across the bar. She leaned forward and touched Risha's cheek lightly. "Darling, that's none of your concern, although it's nice of you to mention it." Releasing the frightened Ravenette, she sat up straight on the barstool. "There's to be no revenge. Perhaps later . . . if we've time. But I have a feeling we may be otherwise occupied."

Janette's gaze moved to the front door--she could hear their heartbeats as they gathered, heard Natalie giving her group a little 'pep' talk of her own outside the Raven. "They're here," she said softly, then looked over her brood again. They were an eclectic bunch, but they were well-dressed and perfectly groomed . . . and that's the way she liked them best. "Do your best, chicks," she told them, shooing them away with a wave of her hand. "Robert--Jeff--attend me. And Angel--stay close."

Taking Robert's hand--she there was a reason she'd tried to recruit more males this season--Janette slipped from the bar stool and took a few steps forward. It was time for a little 'girl' talk.

And she knew she'd enjoy the conversation immensely.

* * *

As they all piled out of Natalie's car and the taxi that had followed behind carrying several others Natalie surveyed her group of friends. On a whim, or because of some sense of pride, they had all actually made the attempt to fit into the scene at the Raven, although Natalie did decide that an afternoon spent clothes shopping with Sharon was something she didn't want to do for a long time to come. She didn't fool herself into thinking they could compete with Janette and her crowd, but she had to admit they all looked good.

As they walked down the sidewalk toward the club entrance, Natalie stopped them, deciding that a last minute reminder as to what they were about wouldn't hurt, even though they'd spent most of the day planning what to do and say, planning how to act and deciding who it might be best to avoid.

"Now remember," she said deliberately. "I *promised* Janette there'd be no repeats of what happened in July." Her gaze lingered on both Jennie and Tanaquil. "We can't afford to have this fall apart right now." She paused and smiled while Jennie and Tanaquil nodded their reassurances. "But," she said, turning and resuming her steps toward the Raven. "Be careful. And watch out for each other. They need *us*. And if we don't like what we hear, then we walk."

It was still fairly early in the evening, but a bouncer stood in front of the door. He smiled sharply at them as they approached, then slowly moved aside, pushing the door inward with one large hand. "Ladies," he whispered, as the filed past him into the club.

* * *

She waited until they were inside the door, then slipped an arm around each of the young men's shoulders. "Do you see them, my pets?" asked Janette conspiratorially, as Natalie and her little group entered. Thankfully, they'd attempted to dress for the occasion--they hadn't succeeded, but they'd attempted. She'd have to do something about Natalie's wardrobe when it came time. And wouldn't Nicola be surprised . . . ?

But there were matters at hand--beneath her hands--to deal with. "Mingle, my lady-killers," said Janette proudly, eyeing each of the two young men in turn. "Figuratively, of course. Be attentive--their type always falls for that. Keep their glasses full and find their lives fascinating. Go, go, go!" With a light laugh, she slipped from between then and gave each a light push on the shoulder, sending them in the direction of Natalie's entourage.

They were inexperienced, but they found their way easily enough; she smiled when she saw each one choose his victim, then move in to offer a seat, take a coat, get a drink. Yes, they had such promise . . . .

But Janette quickly turned toward the bar and snapped her fingers, gesturing over her shoulder. "That one--" she whispered. "Whatever she wants, give her the opposite. If she wants mixed, give her straight. Dry . . . she'll get sweet. She'll drink what I give her, not what she requests."

Angel moved closer. "Isn't that Tanaquil?"

"The spy," hissed Janette with such rancor, that Angel moved back a step and even Miklos nearly dropped the glass he held in his hand.

But he recovered immediately, as he always did. "I thought you said there'd be no--"

"I'm allowed to change my mind, aren't I?"

It didn't matter whether it was the tone of voice or the raised eyebrow--Miklos fell silent. Quickly grasping Angel's arm in a familiar grip, Janette moved forward. "Dr. Lambert--how kind of you to accept my invitation. And you brought your little friends. How . . . charming." Before Natalie could answer, Janette turned and started toward a table at the far end of the club, saying, "Won't you join me? Your friends can make themselves at home. Drinks are--as they say--on the house."

Angel was there four steps ahead of her and pulled out her chair, waiting. Janette gave her a gracious nod, seated herself, then pulled the chair in to the table. Angel stood to her left. When Janette put out her hand, Angel placed a cigarette in her fingers, then held out a lighter.

Natalie made a face as she seated herself. "Do you have to smoke?"

"It is my club. But if it bothers you . . . ?" Janette tapped out the cigarette in the ashtray, then held up her empty hands. "You see? I can make concessions."

Two of Natalie's friends appeared to be joining them. "This is Sharon," said Natalie, by way of introduction. "And this is--"

"Valerie." Janette managed a tight-lipped smile and she nodded toward the redhead. "Yes, I remember. Something about me not looking after my followers?"

"What about looking after Susan?" asked Sharon quickly. "Laurie had to rescue her and she had to come to me for help because--"

"Ah . . . they talk!" noted Janette. With a slight nod, she gestured Angel toward the bar. "Do they do tricks, as well? Your poison, Natalie? And . . . ladies?"

Natalie's eyes narrowed, but she let the slight slide by. "I think Sharon will have a beer?"

"Guinness," prompted Sharon.

"And Val and I'll have a Diet Coke," decided Natalie, after glancing at the woman beside her. But after Angel had left, she leaned forward. "You've got ten minutes to cut to the chase. And then we walk. For some reason, you need me. You need us. Tell us why we should help you."

Instantly, Janette cast a regretful look at the cigarette in the ashtray--this was going to be more difficult than she'd thought. "I . . . want to throw a party."

When she looked up, she saw Natalie staring at her in amazement. "What?"

"I want to throw a party. No, hear me out," she said quickly, reaching across the table as Natalie rose, the others beginning to move their chairs. "There's danger--for all of us. We need to have a truce among all of the groups, even LaCroix's little maniacs. And to do that, I thought providing common ground might be best. Even LaCroix has the good taste not to interrupt a party for petty torture and riot."

"What kind of danger?" asked Valerie.

Janette eyed her, then looked away--that one would need to be watched. "Grave danger. I can't say anything more than that at present." When she saw the doubt in Natalie's eyes, she sighed and sat back in her chair. "What reason could I have for lying to you?"

"I don't know," answered Natalie. "You tell me." She glanced at Sharon, then at Val. "Why not tell Nick and LaCroix?"

"Because they wouldn't listen. Oh, I did try to leave a message for LaCroix, but it slipped by him. He's dragged Nicola off on one of his little vendettas again. And you know what will happen if I try to get them in the same place at the same time." She gestured at Val and Sharon. "You must know, after all, what it's like trying to get friends together. Someone isn't speaking to someone else, and someone is busy that night, and--" She threw up her hands. "Madness! No, that's why I need your help. If you're there, Nick will be there."

Angel arrived with the drinks. She placed Janette's down first, then the beer, then the two diet sodas. Natalie removed the maraschino cherry from her soda--tossing in into Janette's ashtray. "I think you're overestimating--"

"No. I'm not." Janette met Natalie's surprised look with an even glare. "Especially if he knows that Dorian will be present. Because if Dorian is there, and you are there, Nicola will move heaven and earth to be there."

She noticed that Natalie paled at the mention of Dorian's name and suddenly became very interested in her diet soda.

"Dorian is after Susan," said Sharon. "Or don't you remember?"

"I remember perfectly well, thank you. I'd intended to use Susan's apartment for the party." With a wave, she indicated the club. "I've been to parties LaCroix and his little fiends have attended and I've no intention of seeing my club trashed. I've just redecorated, after all. Maybe in a few months, after I tire of the decor--"

Sharon cleared her throat. "Uh, have you been to Susan's apartment?"

"No." Janette looked down her nose at Natalie's friend. "It is in New Jersey, after all."

"Small?" asked Natalie sympathetically.

"Not really. But . . . too small for the kind of party you're talking about." Sharon picked up her beer and took a long drink, then set the bottle back on the table. "Definitely not big enough to hold Nick and LaCroix and you and Dorian."

"You see," said Janette brightly. "This is why I need your help. That would have been a ghastly mistake on my part. And I don't like to make ghastly mistakes." She glanced at Val. "At least . . . not in print."

"What about those pubs you were telling me about?" Natalie asked Sharon. "The ones in Greenwich Village? Where you got the yard of ale?"

"Pubs?" Janette narrowed her eyes. "Tell me more."

Sharon shrugged. "Well, they're owned by the same people and they carry a hundred beers from all over the world. They're about a block apart--three of them. "The Slaughtered Lamb," "The Jack the Ripper," and "The Jeckyll and Hyde."

Val blinked. "They called a pub 'The Jack the Ripper'?" Then, she smiled. "You know, that might not be a bad idea. Rent out all three for the night. You, Nick, and LaCroix would have your own home bases and you could mingle without feeling put out."

"It is an idea," said Janette, after a pause. "LaCroix would claim 'The Slaughtered Lamb.' I should think 'The Jeckyll and Hyde,' would suit Nicola perfectly, yes?"

"And you could have 'The Jack the Ripper,'" finished Val, with a sly smile. "I think you'd feel at home, there."

Janette frowned and pointed at her. "Don't push me."

"I think," said Natalie quickly, "that it's a great idea. But that still doesn't explain how you're going to get everyone there."

Janette shrugged, carefully noting that Angel still hovered nearby, in case she was needed. She desperately wanted a cigarette, but . . . . "As I said, Nicola is no problem--he'll be there if he knows that you'll be there, without protection from Dorian. Your people will go because you ask them. My people will go because I'll tell them." Then, she sighed. "Unfortunately, Nicola and LaCroix have disrupted my plans. Now they have some foolish idea that Susan poses a danger to us." Janette gestured toward Valerie and Sharon. "You don't have any difficulty with the things your friends write, do you? It's . . . nice to read about oneself every now and again. Makes us feel more . . . real, don't you think?"

"A little," answered Natalie, after a pause. She nodded toward Val. "I don't have any problem with anything Val's written. And Sharon doesn't--"

Janette laughed as Sharon began twisting her napkin into a thin rope. "I think your Sharon does."

Sharon glared at her. "Susan told you."

"No. But I know Susan. This writing thing with her--she infects people. And you're one of her friends." Janette smiled sympathetically. "It was only a matter of time."

"You never said a word!" Natalie shook her head. "You were going to let me read it?"

Sharon paled suddenly. "I--uh--" Then she placed her hands around the beer bottle and looked at Janette squarely. "And that's beside the point. How were you planning to get the Knighties and the Cousins to the party? Not to mention the FoDs?"

"Bait--just as Nick will follow Natalie, the Cousins will respond to torment. If we annoy them enough, LaCroix will have them follow my pets to their lair--which will be in New York." She smiled at Angel over her shoulder and said, "You're taking notes, I hope? And you'll love the designers there."

Valerie cleared her throat. "And the restaurants--the FoDs wouldn't have a chance!"

"Precisely." Janette nodded toward her. "The Die-Hards are the only group who'll respond politely to an invitation, because they can't ever resist the attempt to play peacemaker. Our only problem is the Knighties--although they'll follow Nicola if he asks. It's only a matter of getting him to ask--?"

"For which you need . . . me?" asked Natalie.

Janette shrugged. "It would be to our mutual benefit. And you'd be helping me to save LaCroix and Nicola, despite their best efforts to the contrary."

"And who's going to save Susan?" asked Sharon.

"I don't know." Janette shrugged. "She may not even need saving--one never knows with LaCroix. I see his hand in this."

Natalie frowned. "You'd give one of your people to LaCroix?"

"One. Or all. Does it matter?" Janette smiled, and looked at Angel. "They're only mortals, after all."

"But . . . so are we," said Valerie, her voice taut with anger.

"Yes. So you are." Janette held out her hand toward Natalie. "Do we have a deal?"

Sharon shook her head negatively, ever so slightly. Valerie was frowning. But Natalie only paused a moment before taking Janette's hand across the table. "All right--we'll help you with the party. But I want to be in on this 'great danger' conference--none of this 'only a mortal' crap."

"If you wish." Janette picked up her glass and drained it in one long swallow, then handed it back to Angel. "There's only one more matter that concerns me at the moment--"

Natalie glanced at her friends, then back at Janette. "Which is?" she asked suspiciously.

"What we're going to find for you to wear."


Raven-ings
By Jill Bradley

As the Nat-pack entered the Raven, Jill regarded them over the rim of her glass. She was not about to disobey Janette and start any trouble, but wondered how far she would be able to push them. They probably were like their leader--nice, Jill sneered to herself. Nice was soooo booooring! This could be awfully entertaining. Catching Miklos' eye, she pointed to her now-empty glass. He refilled it without comment, and Jill shivered inside at his cold stare. She would like to try to warm him up, but unfortunately, that would not happen this visit. Janette would not appreciate one of her flock encouraging the bartender to take a forbidden sip or two. Idly, Jill wondered whether Janette was ever gone from the Raven for an extended period of time.

Angel came over to help with introductions. As Tanaquil was introduced, a slight smile came over Jill's face. I remember you, she said politely. You worked here yourself, didn't you? She ignored Angel's elbow in her side. Behave! Angel hissed, then returned to Janette's side. Jill searched the room with her eyes, looking for a Ravenette who might join in some mild Nat-baiting.

Shrugging, she wandered past the table where Natalie and Janette were apparently negotiating. After cautious evesdropping, Jill lit a cigarette and purposely leaned in to blow smoke towards Natalie. At Janette's glare, she backed away and tried to look invisible. Oh well, apparently Janette was serious about this cooperation stuff. Heading back to the bar, Jill began to consider Miklos again.


Raven-ing Hordes
By Jennie Hayes and Tara O'Shea

Jennie smoothed the skirt of her converted bridesmaid's dress absently with one hand as she paused inside the Raven to let her eyes adjust to the light. As her eyes met Janette's she gravely nodded once, then stepped into a patch of shadow. Not that she felt safe from Janette's regard there either. It was amazing how bright the royal blue of her dress seemed just now, but Janette's attention snapped almost immediately away from her, to Tanaquil who'd entered behind her. The vampire turned to say something to the bartender.

"At least the guy at the door called us 'ladies,'" Jennie gave Tanaquil a wry grin.

Janette and Natalie appeared to be heading off for a more or less private conference, so Jennie ordered a Coke and looked around the bar. She spotted a familiar face and headed off toward that table.

LJC was fingering her black crepe skirt, checking to make sure her hem hadn't gotten caught on her three and a half inch heels. The wine coloured long sleeved crepe blouse wasn't quite as fancy as Janette would have liked, in fact the whole outfit was downright plain compared to the other ravens, but LJ preferred simplicity, and she had been mostly ignored thus far, in any case. When she saw one of the NatPackers heading towards her, it took her a moment to recognise Jennie, but she smiled, far more genuinely than Janette would have liked. Amy had described Jennie well.

Luckily, the Raven's proprietress was looking elsewhere at that moment.

"Hi, Mom!" Jennie grinned. "I know it's war, but we're supposed to play nice for now - it's Jennie. Oh, the Chicago one, not the one who posts to L&C fairly often. Before you ask, I recognized you from the pictures a mutual acquaintance keeps showing me."

"Hey, kid. Amy's told me so much about you, I feel like we've already met." LJC smiled. "I suppose I can't really call you kid, now can I?"

"Only if you don't mind yet another person who's older than you calling you 'Mom.' You're never gonna get rid of that name!"

"Mindy's the one who started the Social Director of the Internet thing, how can I mind?" LJC pulled out a chair, and Jennie settled down across from her.

"Anyhow, I thought it was safer to come talk to you than to sit there trying to stifle the urge to go investigate the back room."

"I've been tempted myself, and even if I am one of the original Ravens, that wouldn't keep me from getting munched by one of the bouncers." Tara smiled wryly. "Around here, you're either considered a pet, or meat. I prefer the former to the latter, truth be told."

"Well, I'm not suicidal, just curious. Professional hazard, I think!" Jennie laughed.

"Can I get you anything in the way of a drink? Maybe something a little more sporting than a soft drink, perhaps?" LJC remembered Angel and Janette's instructions to make the NatPackers feel at home, and this was no real problem at all. It was going on the club's tab anyway. She waved Alma over. "Vodka and cranberry juice for me." Alma, reduced to vampire waitress, glowered at LJ, who ignored her.

"Oh, I think a White Russian would hit the spot." Alma glared some more, then flounced over to the bar.

"She's just loving all this, isn't she?" Jennie watched Alma, her eyes betraying supressed mirth.

"Poor Alma, reduced to serving mortals drinks. She may never get over the irony." LJC smiled. "So, are you liking our little war so far?"

"Mm-hmm. The adrenalin rush is better than watching the X-Files alone in the dark!"

"Oh?"

"Well, I stole Janette's wardrobe last war and gave it to Nick to hold on to. I had *no* idea he would hang it in his garage! Anyhow, I wasn't sure I should show my face here after that, but...here I am."

"Oh my..." LJ's eyes grew wide, and she laughed despite her affiliation. "No wonder clothes have become such an important subject this time around. I didn't bring much except my airplane clothes, and this. My suitcases are quite bare, nice Raven I make." LJ stirred her drink absently with the straw, her eyes wandering about the club. "I must admit, this meeting is going better than I thought it would, really."

"Do you know what it's all about?" Jennie leaned forward, a conspiratory note in her voice. "I don't know that much about what's going on this time 'round, I only just heard about Susan's problem and before today I hadn't heard of Dorian."

"I'm being kept in the dark, I'm afraid. Just following orders, and waiting. Truth be told, it's a real bitch." Tara frowned, but then shrugged, fishing a cig out of her purse.

"Feeling like a mushroom?"

"I'm starting to," Tara sighed, and they clinked glasses.


Knocking About the Raven
By Elizabeth L. Bales

Elizabeth sighed quietly and leaned one elbow on the table. Looking around, she had to admit that Janette's new decor was... interesting. A giggle caught her attention, and she looked over to where one of Janette's pet pretty-boys was chatting up another NatPacker. She frowned, trying to remember the woman's name, and failed utterly. Oh, well.... I've always been terrible at that. Wonder if there's anything useful I could do?

"Excuse me," said a voice at her elbow. She turned to look up -- and gulped. Wow, what a fox! But he's a Raven, probably trying to win over a NatPacker or two. That'd be Janette all over. Besides, you have an adorable boyfriend waiting at home....

"Yes?" Elizabeth was a bit startled herself at the degree of frostiness she managed to instill in her voice. The Raven slid into a chair next to her.

"I wondered if I could buy you a drink," the young man -- okay, let's be fair, the _gorgeous_ young man -- said. He flashed a smile that had to measure in the kilowatt range and started to turn toward the bar without even waiting for her reply. It was that small motion that changed her mind. Just a bit *sure* of ourselves, are we? she thought acidly.

"No, thank you," she said.

He paused and then turned back toward her. "Ah. Well, all right. Would you--"

"No, thank you. Excuse me, please." She rose from her chair and joined Tanaquil at her table, still peeved.

Tanaquil took one look at her face, and her eyebrows rose. "You look annoyed, Elizabeth. What's wrong?"

"I hate arrogant men," Elizabeth growled, and stole a sip of Tanaquil's drink. "Ugh, Tanaquil, this is disgusting! What the heck is it?"

Tanaquil sighed. "It was *supposed* to be a Tequila Sunrise. The bartender is being original, I guess, or maybe Janette's still angry with me."

Elizabeth giggled. "Good thing she doesn't seem to have figured out who left her all the kitty toys. I'd order a margarita and end up with who-knows-what. Here, I'll get you a drink. What'll you have?"

Tanaquil laughed. "*Not* a Kermit's Left Testicle."


Don't I Know You?
By Elizabeth A. Scroggs

Betsy lazily strolled into the main room of thr Raven, nursing a glass of wine. It had been a long day, full of collecting what seemed to be useless and pointless knowlege fron the museum for Janette's benefit. Now she and the others were shooed out of the office so the boss could have a meeting with Dr. Lambert. Go out and mingle, and be nice to the Natpack, was Janette's orders. Well, Betsy could mingle with the best of them. She put on her friendliest smile and approached the nearest familiar (or at least as familiar as she got scrambilg around with everyone on the island in the summer) face. The woman was wearing a very stylish and practical dark blue dress, whose skirt went down to the floor. Betsy briefly wished they could trade outfits, because her own black silk sleeveless thigh-length dress, although gorgeous, was a bit drafty. Betsy introduced herself.

"Hello there, dear. I think I recognize you from that fiasco on the island this summer. I'm Betsy. And you must be...?"

"Betsy." The woman smiled and held out her hand. Betsy looked puzzled but shook it.

"Yes, but what's your name?" she tried again.

"Betsy." the woman said again, with more emphasis.

"What?"

"What, what?"

"What is your name?" Betsy was getting a little annoyed. If all of Nat's frinds were this thick, what kind of help would she be?

"My name is Betsy." The woman insisted. It finally dawned on Betsy what the lady was getting at.

"Heavens to me (Well I couldn't say Heavens to Betsy, that would be silly), you must be Betsy Vera. I'm so sorry. I'm just not used to meeting someone with my name. It's only happened to me once before, and that was way back in high school." Embarrassed, Betsy took a long sip of her drink. "Do you want one?" she offered.

"No, thank you," Betsy Vera replied. "What I really want is to know what Nat and Janette are talking about."

"We'll find out soon enough."


Kindred Spirits
By Jeff Carey

Jeff glanced over as the meeting between the two factions ended and saw the participants heading towards him. Carefully extracting himself from the group of female NatPackers that had formed around him, he profusely apologized for his departure from their company and maneuvered to intercept Valerie.

He had noticed her the moment that she had entered the Raven and had immediately recognized that some of her accessories (most notably the pentagram) were much more than the cheap costume jewelry that so many of his fellow goths wore. How long has it been? he thought as his mind raced back to his sophomore year, the only time he had actually had the pleasure of becoming acquainted with a 'kindred spirit.' Sighing with nostalgia and regret he unconsiously grasped the talisman hanging from his neck and lifted it from under his silk shirt.

Thinking a silent prayer to Bast he released the medallion (much to the annoyance of the vampires in the room for its power could now be felt much more acutely by them). He then walked up to Valerie and intoned "Greetings M'Lady."

Valerie was shocked out of her blind furiousity at Janette by his formal use of that title in addressing her. Staring at him in surprise she quickly noticed the small engraved medallion that he unconsiously fingered in obvious nervousness at confronting her. "Greetings" she replied as she began to feel the same sense of a 'kindred spirit' between them that had attracted him to her. "You practice the Craft?" she asked almost rhetorically as they moved to a private booth.

"A variant, M'Lady. I follow Bast," he replied with much trepidation evident in his voice, due to his general feeling of discomfort about allowing others to see past the shadows in which he usually cloaked himself.

Ahhh, that explains it, she thought. A pleasure goddess wouldn't care about one of its followers joining the Raven/ettes. But still, this one has such a strong feel of balance, what could be behind his presence here? Aloud she merely said, "How interesting."

Jeff relaxed slightly as the danger of her mocking his admission passed, yet he noticed that Nat had noticed Val's absence and was headed in their direction "I believe your friend is eager to leave, perhaps we can continue this another time?"

"I would be delighted," she replied as they both stood and he kissed her hand in farewell.

"Until our paths cross again," he intoned as Nat walked up to them.

"We really should be leaving," Nat said pointedly.

"I suppose so," Val replied to her, then turned back to Jeff. "Perhaps that will be sooner than you suspect?"

"I hope so, M'Lady. Goodbye and good fortune to you both," he said before they went their separate ways. He could almost hear Nat asking, "Now just what was that all about?" and Valerie's reply of, "Ohhh, nothing."

Jeff headed for the bar but was met there by Janette who remarked, "You did well with the NatPackers during the meeting from what I hear, however, I would choose my personal interests better if I were you..."

"Why, whatever do you mean, mistress?" he replied innocently.

"You know exactly what I mean!" she answered him irritatedly, pointing at the retreating figure of Valerie as she reached the door and passed through it out into the night. "That one has drawn much unwanted attention to herself and she may not even realize it yet. You would be well advised to keep your distance."

Jeff looked at her skeptically and replied, "And just when has a member of our group ever been so cautious as to not follow its heart?"

Janette momentarily thought of ripping out his throat but was held off by the remembrance of what would happen if she tried. Eyeing the medallion angrily she left him to contemplate her words in peace.


The Trouble with Angels
By Sharon Himmanen

Once she'd finished scoping out just who was still left in the club, Sharon moved to join her friends who had managed to find a table toward the back of the club. As she moved through the gathering crowd, however, she saw Janette's lackey, the one called Angel, suddenly detach herself from the arm of another extremely good looking guy and hurry across the floor. Out of curiosity, Sharon slowed her steps and watched as Angel moved up to Janette, holding up a lighter and lighting her cigarette. The two exchanged a few brief words, at the end of which they both turned to look meaningfully in her direction.

"Here it comes," Sharon said aloud, shaking her head. Out of the corner of her eye, she thought she saw Angel slightly tilt her head, although she couldn't be sure. What she was sure of, though, was that she was suddenly surrounded by a fair number of bodies, most of them Ravenettes, who seemed to take great delight in jostling her about. It wasn't quite a slam-dance pit, but something akin to it, more controlled and deliberate and it was all she could do to rescue her Guinness after nearly spilling it twice. But, with a little bit of determined pushing and shoving on her part she nearly made it to the edge, only to be cut off and forced back toward the center of the floor. The number of people had noticeably increased, and Sharon had decided that it was nearly time to get rough when she felt a hand grasp her elbow.

Angel was standing beside her. "Let me," she mouthed, not bothering to speak the words aloud above the roar of the music. Then she deftly guided Sharon toward a table on the opposite side of the club from where her friends sat. The crowd, while not exactly parting to leave a clear path, gave them little trouble as they moved off the dance floor and into the one of the little alcoves that had sound insulated tiles to allow some form of conversation above the din.

Sharon smiled sharply at Angel. "Not a bad trick," she said, a slight edge of accusation in her voice. "I've seen that done to yuppies when they try to be cool and slam dance."

Angel smiled back, blinking innocently. "You just looked like you were having a little bit of trouble out there, that's all."

"Mmmm," Sharon said, nodding and taking a seat. For the first time she took a good look at Angel as the other woman sat down opposite her. She reminded Sharon of Jemitha Soles, a friend from her childhood who had definitely lived, and dressed, to the beat of a different drummer, looking goth long before it was ever popular. Angel was a bit shorter than Sharon although the three inch heels were meant to make you think otherwise. She was younger too, with blond hair streaked purple, pale skin and dark lipstick. And her clothes! Sharon had thought living in New York for the last several years would have prepared her, but . . .

"Janette thinks it would be a good idea if we talked, made some plans."

Sharon leaned back. "And of course you do everything that Janette says," she replied evenly. It was a cheap shot and they both knew it, but she had to do something to make up for the dance floor fiasco.

Angel simply continued to smile at her, letting the slight pass. It was a little unnerving, the silence and that smile. To cover she took another sip of her beer.

"All right," she said, finally. "What kind of plans?"

"Oh, I don't know," Angel said airily. "I'm certain that you and your friends are very good at all those tedious details, what with being used to dealing with public servants, filling out forms in triplicate, and all that."

Sharon laughed slightly, tightly. "Gee, and to think I could be running around being a human cigarette lighter. I guess I just don't know what I'm missing," she said sarcastically. "Look, lets cut to the chase instead of sitting here snipeing at each other, OK?"

"Whatever you say," Angel said, a slight sharpness in her tone the only indication that Sharon's comment had struck home. And that unnerving smile was back. "There are a number of arrangements to be made. Decorations, invitations or enticements, that sort of thing." Before continuing, Angel glanced across the room. Sharon followed her gaze and saw Janette, still in conversation with a young man, abruptly snap her fingers. Angel suddenly rose. "But not tonight."

"OK," Sharon said, taking another sip. "Where and when?"

"Tomorrow. Eleven o'clock?" Angel said, glancing in Janette's direction again.

"That's fine," Sharon said. "Where?"

Angel started to move away from the table, saying hastily, "I'll meet you outside the club. Now if you'll excuse me." She moved a few more steps away from the table.

"Angel?" Sharon called after her, a smile of her own on her face. When the other woman paused she said "I've kept you. I'm terribly sorry." The tone of her voice suggested that she was anything but sorry. "You know, you can always come to us if things get . . . difficult with Janette." Sharon's voice held a note of sincerity that surprised even her.

Angel whirled, Janette momentarily forgotten as she took a deep breath and opened her mouth to speak. Still smiling, Sharon raised her eyebrows and pointed deliberately in Janette's direction. Setting her lips in a grim line, Angel spun around, and stalked off toward Janette.

Sharon took another sip of her beer, smiling to herself.


Rumblings in the Undergrowth
By Valerie Meachum

Well, that was different, Valerie thought as Jeff retreated through the small crowd. She was accustomed to being addressed so formally on occasion by pagan acquaintances, but hadn't expected it in this setting. She wasn't sure why--after all, she supposed one was at least as likely to find such behaviour around vampires as anywhere.

But why had he approached her--and more importantly, what could be accomplished by the contact? She had hoped and worked for improved NatPack/Raven relations since the last war--could this be a key?

"I don't get it," she said aloud into the silence, the "seven-minute lull" striking the group. "Why the heck did she drag us all here just to arrange to get together at the party? Couldn't that have been arranged long-distance?"

"You think there was another purpose?" Nat asked.

"Maybe. Not to distract us from Susan, I don't think. Except that it did prevent or at least delay a couple of us going after her."

"Maybe that's just as well," Sharon put in. "Sounds like she knows something about this we don't."

"As usual," Valerie snorted. "Anyone else *really* uncomfortable with that?"

"I am," Natalie confirmed. "That's why I insisted on being in on the 'leaders' meeting'. I'm getting really tired of the 'no mortals allowed' garbage."

There was a general murmur of agreement as they all prepared to pile into vehicles and depart. "Anybody need crash space?" Nat inquired. "I don't have a lot, but I don't want anyone falling asleep at the wheel either."

"I have...plans," Valerie volunteered. "And then I have to be back in Columbus tomorrow for my show. I guess I'll see you Monday."

She took her leave of her compatriots, and as soon as she was around the corner from them Dragutin appeared from nowhere at her side. "You heard what went on, I take it?" she asked.

"Yes. And I don't like the smell of it."

"Well, I don't think anyone asked you," she reminded him irritably. "In fact, I don't seem to remember you being invited. So maybe you'd better be at least as forthcoming as Janette. I assume thatn's not *too* much to ask, all things considered."

"Indeed." The vampire-mage studied her for a moment. "Very well."


NatPack Night Out
By Sharon Himmanen

"That's odd," Natalie said, staring after Valerie with a frown. "What do you make of that?"

Sharon shrugged. "Valerie being Valerie?" she said brightly. "I don't know. But, she *does* have a point," she added with a sidelong glance at Natalie. "This all seemed a bit too 'hurry up and wait.' Think this whole party thing is some kind of bluff, or a smokescreen, or something?"

"I'm sure it is," Natalie said. "But we have to play along, for now. It's the only way we're going to get any answers."

"Don't be so sure of that," Tanaquil said. "Janette was behind that whole stink in July, remember? And we all played along until it was almost too late."

"Just to cover up Laurie's defection, I know," Natalie said in a weary voice as she walked over to the driver's side of her car.

"And, this whole thing with Dorian, and you being bait. Nat, I don't like it," Jennie added.

Natalie was momentarily taken aback, but recovered herself quickly. She glared at them. "Well, if anyone's got a better idea, now's the time for it." She waited for several minutes before yanking her car door open. "Thought so," she said, sliding in behind the wheel. The others started to pile in behind her, except for Sharon, who leaned down into the open passanger side and spoke.

"I think I'm going to stay," she said. "Hang out."

Natalie stared at her. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah," Sharon said, nodding her head. "I'll be fine. We *do* have a guarded truce with them right now and I've *always* wanted to check this place out."

Natalie still looked hesitant, but before she could speak, Tanaquil spoke up. "Want some company?" she asked.

"From Miss Popularity?" Sharon teased. "Sure."

A few more from their group decided to join them, so Natalie handed her a spare set of keys to her apartment. "Now remember," she admonished mockingly. "It's a school night." But then her expression grew serious. "I mean it. Be careful."

"Yes, Mom,"" Sharon said, pocketing the keys.

"One more thing. Maybe you should try to talk to that Ravenette. You know, theone doing the butler routine with Janette during the meeting."

"I think her name is Angel," Elizabeth said.

"Because since I'm in New York I'm going to have to coordinate things at that end with Janette's people?"

"You got it. Have fun, and don't take any of their crap." Then she paused and looked up at her. "On second thought, I take that back! I don't wanna have to come down and bail you out of jail or something tonight!"

"Not going to happen," Sharon assured her. "Remind me to tell you about my trip to Seattle sometime. We'll see you later."

They stood on the sidewalk fora few minutes watching her drive away, then turned and headed for the front entrance of the Raven.

The bouncer smiled at them again, and again held the door. It was later in the evening, and the crowd was starting to pick up, although the dance floor was still fairly clear. She saw Janette tilt her head in their direction as they entered, then turned and said something to the bartender, who glaced coldly up at them.

The others went to find a table, while Sharon moved toward the bar and ordered a beer. As she pulled out a few bills, a white hand pushed her arm gently aside. "Your money's no good here. At least, for the time being."

Janette said. "So, you've decided to come back and play, have you?"

Sharon merely nodded. "I thought you might." As Miklos placed her beer in front of her Janette raised her glass in a salute before moving away toward an extremely good looking man who had just entered. Sharon stood for a moment watching her go, before picking up her beer and casting a quick look around the club for whatever Ravens or Ravenettes might still be hanging around.

And there were quite a few, including Angel.


Difficult Call
By Jennie Hayes

Jennie sighed in exasperation, looking from one hand to another. She really needed to get some sleep, she was making dumb mistakes again. Her left hand held a pipet full of liquid, and she couldn't put it down to get the cap off the vial she was trying to put it in. Making a face, she contorted her fingers around the vial and managed to screw the top off with just the one hand. Thank goodness this was the last sample she had to prep for this run. She loaded the sample and listened to the familiar rhythm of the autosampler clicking as it started the analysis while she logged into her VAX account. She looked furtively around the lab, but somehow, everyone had miraculously gone home on time tonight, and she could access her account freely.

She'd spent the day mulling over a startling message she'd gotten from Natalie. It sounded like things were *definitely* getting out of hand. Still, going to Toronto, especially to the Raven, didn't seem like the best idea right now. True, she'd taken care of the drycleaning bill for Janette's wardrobe with the company credit card (that little 'accident' with the dye analysis demonstration had barely held water when the accounting department had gone over her expenses) but she wasn't sure it was a good idea to show her face in Janette's presence just yet... On the other hand, Natalie needed her, and she *hated* letting her fear win. Before she could change her mind *again*, she left messages for her supervisor explaining her sudden departure (she hoped), sent a brief message to Natalie to expect her that night, and headed home to pack.


Thursday, October 27, 1994


[Nothing NatPack-related occurred on October 27.]


End Part Two

[NatPack War3 Stories]