Friday, October 14, 1994

Jump to: [October 15] [October 17] [October 18] [October 19] [October 23]

All Things Fun
By Laurie M. Salopek

"I don't believe you," LaCroix snarled at his wanton follower. "You are a disappointment to me." He stared at her wondering what lie or half-truth she would create for him.

"I'm not asking you to believe me." Laurie was almost on her tip-toes trying to stare back at the vampire. She had no intention of backing down, she had nothing to lose, she was, after all, already on his dark side. When she had returned from the last war, LaCroix had made it quite clear that he was displeased with her performance and the seriousness of her defection to the Ravens. But, fool hearty, she never learn to take Uncle's threats seriously, which eventually led to the confrontation before her.

"Oh? Then what ARE you asking?" LaCroix did admire the brash attitude she displayed as long as she didn't push it too far.

"I am only asking that you watch and judge for yourself." Laurie slowly settled back down on her heals; her calf muscles were starting to ache from the strain. "I'm going away this weekend to visit Janette's premiere Ravenette and I have also learned that one of Natalie's most ardent followers will be there too. It should make for an interesting couple of days."

"And?"

"And if you wish to know my true loyalties, I suggest you hang around and watch." Laurie's head was bowed as she momentarily looked at the small cracks in the sidewalk. Then, ever so slowly with a most snide little grin on her face that was most befitting a true follower of LaCroix, she continued, "Janette knows nothing about this weekend and neither does Nick. No one knows. I have told no one of my intentions. For all those concerned it will start out as just another fun weekend. Well, fun for me that is. I can't speak for the others." Her small smile broadened into a most insidious grin.

LaCroix smiled. "Very well, I will watch." The pause was long and cold. "Don't disappoint me again."

It was Laurie's turn to smile. "Actions always speak louder than words."


Saturday, October 15, 1994


Weekend at Susan's
By Sharon Himmanen

Bag packed, Susan's Mickey Mouse bag folded and stowed, Susan's copy of The Dark Phoenix Saga tucked under her arm, Sharon made a hasty dash for the door, already late for work and really needing to stop off for coffee.

But the phone rang just as she shoved Gus out of the way with her foot and opened the door. He hissed and spat at her, then laid into her leg with his teeth and clawless front paws like the demon cat from hell that he was.

Sharon thought seriously about ignoring it. It was probably her mother, calling to remind her that her birthday was coming up soon. Or worse yet, she was planning a visit to New York...

Closing the door with a sigh, she dropped her bag and went over to the phone and switched it on.

"Sharon? Hi, it's Nat."

"Hey, Natalie," she replied, relieved that it wasn't her mother for a change. "You just caught me. I was on my way out the door."

"I won't keep you too long. I was just wondering if you'd heard about the gorilla twins that were born at the Bronx Zoo? There's a story about it in the paper, and I thought of you."

"Yeah, I did. I was just reading about it on Primate-Talk this morning. This makes six sets of gorilla twins born in captivity now."

"Cool. Well, you're probably on your way to work. I'll give you call sometime this weekend when you have more time."

"Oh, I'm going away this weekend," Sharon replied. "Won't be back until Monday."

She heard Natalie laugh. "Ooo, hot date?"

Sharon chuckled. "I wish, but hardly. I don't think Susan Garrett and Laurie Salopek count in this case."

"Susan Garrett? Have I met her?"

"Yep. During the last war. She's the one who threatened to burn all the potential cures that people sent in the mail."

"Oh," Natalie said flatly. "Well, it wouldn't have mattered. None of them did much except make Nick suffer."

"Susan seems to have a penchant for doing that," Sharon said dryly.

"And Laurie," Nat said, and there was no way to mistake the undercurrent of bitterness in her voice. "I definitely remember Laurie."

Sharon was at a loss for words. To say that Natalie was not fond of Laurie was a complete understatement, after what Laurie had done to Nick, and by extension to Natalie herself, during the first war. Laurie had replaced all of Nick's cow blood with human blood, undoing months of hard work and incurring the wrath of even LaCroix.

"Yeah," Sharon said quietly.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?"

"What? This weekend? Because of Laurie?"

"Remember what happened during the last war," Natalie reminded her softly. "He wanted you back. If Betsy hadn't shown up with those fish tapes..."

Trying to keep the hurt from her voice, Sharon was quick to reassure Natalie. "Don't worry. I definitely learned my lesson. And Susan's pretty solid--it's not like it's going to suddenly be two against one. As much as I like the bar scene at times, I'd make a lousy Ravenette, which Susan knows. And there's a very important reason for me to go."

"What's that?"

"All of Susan's beta readers. If she gets caught up in another war, or worse, gets converted, we'll all be left hanging until who knows when. But I really think you're overreacting. This is just for fun."

"I don't like the sound of it. Will you just promise to be careful?"

"I'll be careful. If this is a war, at least we're starting out the right way. These things always start for me with a phone call from you. Listen, I've got to get to work. I'll talk to you later."

She dropped the phone back into the cradle, grabbed her bag, shoved Gus out of the way again, and was out the door and on her way.


Reluctant Recruit
By S. Tanaquil Johnson

"No.... non, nein, ochi, lo, NO!!!"

Arsinoe raised her furry head in alarm from the tangled blankets on the floor, where she had just succeeded in snaring her brother Ptolemy so that she could jump on his head and bite his ear with impunity. She knew her person was a bit strange, but the spectacle of Tanaquil banging her head repeatedly on the keyboard was a new one.

"Inconceivable!" squawked the computer several times in an annoying nasal voice, and then flashed a dialog box: "Unfortunately, no one is listening to keystrokes at the moment. You may as well stop typing." Tanaquil ignored it and continued to whimper.

"This can't be happening," she was muttering. "Not just when I was finally pulling out of that post-orals slump and really getting some work done. Not when I have a chapter due in less than two months. I can't, I can't..." She refused to even think about the four-figure Visa bill.

But the e-mail on the screen, now plastered over with a sample of one of Eudora's insufferably cute dialog boxes, refused to go away:

***

From: lambert@morgue.toronto.gov
To: sarajnsn@violet.berkeley.edu
Subject: War: what is it good for?

Just thought I ought to warn you that you might want to be in contact with Valerie and Sharon. It looks as if the Cousins may be starting another war.

I don't know where Janette's people fit into this, but you know she was none too happy about your part in the last war. Stay on your guard--but this time, skip the Mata Hari bit, OK? Janette's been warming up to me lately, and I don't want to end up back at square one.

And whatever you all do, keep my Sydney out of it!

Natalie

***

With a deep sigh, Tanaquil chose "New Message" from the Message menu.

***

From: sarajnsn@violet.berkeley.edu
To: vmeachum@freenet.scri.fsu.edu,

shihc@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: War????

Rumor has it that another war is afoot. Is this true?

And should I be worried about trouble visiting my house???

My new kittens are pros at shredding four-year-old avocado trees and chewing through walkman cords, but they haven't had much practice at fending off human malefactors. Let alone vampires. What's going on?

Help!!

Tanaquil

***

Natalie didn't have to waste her breath warning Tanaquil not to attempt another foray on the Raven. Apart from the fact that Janette already knew her one ridiculous disguise, the fall semester was well underway. Tanaquil's advisor might be in Minnesota, but daily Hebrew classes, a very much unwritten dissertation, a non-existent bank balance and a demanding pair of four month old kittens would keep her firmly in Berkeley this time, thank you very much.

Tanaquil resolutely repressed the unwelcome image of Cousins, Ravenettes, NatPackers and Knighties cavorting around the Berkeley campus, collected her Hebrew books and headed for a cafe. This definitely called for a double cappucino.

She'd do what she could to help from the sidelines, but at least this time the war wouldn't affect her life much. Right?


A Cousin Begins
By Laurie M. Salopek

I arrived early to the bustling but desolate town of Toms River. The highways, like black ribbons forgotten on an isolated beach, meandered in and out of the small towns as I threaded my way east. After purchasing a local newspaper, that was fairly thick despite the thin population of the area, which I later discovered the reason for the immense volume was the inclusion of a multitude of varied full page obituaries, I settled in a a vinyl clad booth at the local Denny's to full my empty stomach with the vestiges of a full plate of grease. Around five o'clock, and another full plate of sugar, I started my car and headed towards the small brick complex that was the home of Janette's most prized Ravenette.

I parked my car along a side street, yet the almost hidden location did not go unnoticed by the sharp eyes of Susan Garrett. She joyously bounced out from her apartment door and greeted me with a warm embrace. Scary, considering her allegiance to the darkly tailored vampire that she so adored. I managed to stay on guard and soften her suspicions with a myriad of gifts. Both small and large, the gifts were intended to catch the Ravenette off guard. Call then Trojan horses, call them what you like, but that do serve their purpose. Trojan horses, yes, that is what they are, all dressed in facades of innocence, masquerading an aura of deceit. The old legends will serve me well this weekend, if only I can manage to keep the stealth look of unknowing about my face, I will be safe; I will secure my mission under the eyes of Uncle and return to my true place by his side.

Our chatter was light until around 6:30pm when we left to pick up the third member of this weekend delight. Unfortunately, Sharon's bus was late. No doubt, she was delayed by a phone call from the strong yet ill focus emotions from the coroner in Toronto. Somehow, Natalie seemed to sense the unending turns of our, the cousins, different missions to turn her followers away from their useless mortality and relish the strength of the loyalty bestowed from Uncle.

With a Ravenette in the front seat and a NatPacker in the back, I took advantage of the extra horsepower that the fuel injection of my car afforded me and proceeded to stretch the limits of the car's performance. After all, toying with the limits of law and mortality is one way to bring those outside of the fold into place. But, they took it in stride, even with a cousin at the wheel. I parked again along the side street. It was going to be a long weekend.


The Enforcer Is In!
By Ronni Katz

While the two California ladies, Karin and Jennise, were preparing to meet up with Dorian in New Jersey, another Vampyre was at his computer in New Jersey catching up on his mail....

"So, the Archivist is HERE," Romulus (known on the Net by the moniker of Ron the Enforcer) said to himself smiling slightly. "I thought getting even with LaCroix felt good. Carving Dorian a new asshole will feel OH SO WONDERFUL!"

"Now, why would you want to do that?" a familiar voice inquired in a curious tone from over Romulus s shoulder.

Romulus turned to see Dragutin, his mage friend and occasional adventuring companion, standing at his elbow. He looked more human than usual, clad as he was in a fisherman's sweater and loose fitting black trousers and his long hair pulled back into a simple ponytail. Dragutin saw the posting from Cousin Karin that Romulus had been reading and shook his head. "You cannot challenge the Archivist," he told his friend. "I know you were able to resist the Interview--a feat you share in common with LaCroix--but, although the Enforcers no longer support him, the Ancients, their Masters, do. Although this is not known widely in the Community, Dorian is protected by the Ancients. If you were to harm him without just cause, you'd incur the wrath of many people--including your beloved Lavinia."

"Lavinia hates Dorian as much as I do."

"True, but she will not support you in all the others were to turn in concert against you. Romulus, you are very old and powerful, no one can deny that, but you would not last long if EVERY Ancient was to focus their immortal energies against you. Especially the ones who are members of the Order of Hermes. You know what I am capable of but my power is but a drop of water compared with the lake my Master has at his command."

"Have YOU ever been Interviewed, Dragutin?"

"No," the mage-vampire replied quietly. "But, then again, I am a bit young for that. I m less than four centuries old."

"Yeah, you re not at the spewing dust stage like I am," Romulus replied grinning. Dragutin smiled slightly and Romulus continued, "I was invited to that party Sunday at Susan G's. I've been writing to her over the Net and we actually met face-to-face at a Renfaire. I was wearing my old great kilt and looked like something the cat dragged in but, once we got to talking, it was cool. She s an awesome lady!"

"For a mortal."

"Look, I *DO* have mortal friends. My friend Ed, he's in your Order but belongs to the Chantry house here in Jersey, and I hang out all the time when I m not working. He's coming to the party with me."

"And you'll be getting there by car?"

"Yeah. It s not every Mage that can do Correspondence!"

Dragutin chuckled softly. "True, he agreed," then added, "I know Ed. His talents lie in other Spheres, but he is not to be underestimated. Besides, if Dorian does show up to Interview Ms. Garrett, it will be to her benefit to have both you, the Enforcer at Large, and a member of the Order of Hermes there to protect her. I wish I could assist, but I'm afraid my duties to the Chantry will be keeping me quite occupied all weekend."

"I know. You've been so busy since we got back from Toronto that it's like I hardly know you anymore!"

"I do regret that," Dragutin admitted. "I enjoy your company, when you're not sharpening your claws on some living tissue, but I feel it's time you got out and made yourself some new friends. You've been living like a hermit since John went back to pursue his studies at the University in New Mexico. He was a medical student, right?"

"Yes, and we managed to get his schedule arranged so that his condition wouldn't interfere with his studies much. I'll work with him on his Disciplines between semesters. It's not critical he learns everything now. He's got eternity to master his craft. Besides, considering how he was Brought Across, I think he should spend some time with you. You did say you saw some mystic potential in him."

"Yes, a bit. But in my travels, I saw the Potential in another. Her natural Quintessance was very strong."

"Who is this person?"

"Valerie Meachum. I saw her in that Scottish Play a while back. Talented...and beautiful."

"And engaged," Romulus said and he was sure he caught a look of disappointment on his friend's face. The Enforcer grinned adding, "Hey, I thought you had a policy that you didn't screw your students."

"My god, man, sometimes you can be so incredibly vulgar!" Dragutin stated and Romulus just laughed. "You are NOT amusing!" Romulus was still chuckling softly when Dragutin finished saying, "I know I don't....have relations with students. But I still have eyes and they do appreciate beauty. I am capable of looking and enjoying without touching, unlike some men I know!"

Romulus colored slightly, knowing Dragutin was referring to the Enforcer's stolen night of passion with Natalie Lambert. Dragutin had been incensed that Romulus, who had been disguised as Nick Knight at the time, had tricked the good coroner into allowing him to pleasure her in a way she had always dreamed Nick would. Natalie s memory of the event was shifted--at Dragutin's insistence, for the mage was certain Nick never intended to make Natalie his lover--so she would recall it as a dream only. So, the friendship was preserved and only Romulus and Dragutin knew what really happened that night....

"So, is Valerie your newest apprentice?"

"No...not yet anyway," Dragutin said. "I intend to speak to her about it but I have a feeling she is soon going to be, ah, otherwise engaged."

"Yeah," Romulus agreed a wicked grin crossing his angular face. "Looks like there is going to be another War!"

"I think I'm going to be making myself scarce," the Mage stated, clearly not at all thrilled by what is about to transpire. "Well, I know how much you enjoy a good fight. Just...watch yourself."

Romulus nodded, well aware of what his old friend was implying with his warning, but the old vampire had a feeling that the party at Susan G.'s on Sunday was going to be far more than just a party.

"Ground Zero, here I come!" the Enforcer exulted.


Dear Diary
By Sharon Himmanen

Dear Diary,

I thought I'd never get out of the city. This had been the week from hell, and Nat seems to think I'm heading into the weekend from hell.

It wouldn't have been quite so bad had a bus not broken down in the south terminal of Port Authority, holding up inbound and outbound traffic for nearly half an hour. It hadn't helped that I was too afraid of missing the bus when it did leave to get off line to call Susan to tell her I'd be late. It hadn't helped that I'd rushed down here at the last minute, after my #@$$%& programmer declared my program too impossible and too problem ridden to deal with on a friday afternoon, plus which he had to go meet his girlfriend down in the village anyway.

So if a Cousin is planning any traps, confrontations, or attempted conversions, this weekend, let her. I'm more than ready.

A flashy red sports car, the realization that Cousin Laurie thinks "Oh, yield!" works best as an afterthought, and a dinner at Denny's later we arrived at Casa Garrett.

Diego and all of Susan's wonderful toys were waiting. I wonder if Laurie really knows what she's gotten herself into.


Diary Entry 1
By Selma McCrory

I've forgotten to keep this diary up to date, so I might as well try to start now. A lot has happened since the middle of July.

FK has started airing. And it's not Jennise's alternate season. I'm really glad I did my part in that.

As for Jennise, I've forgiven her. She still has to proofread all this fiction I've neglected writing and revising. And she's happier now that I got rid of the blond vampire. Of course, I don't mind that I've gotten rid of him. He started getting ideas about bringing me across. I don't see why LaCroix brought across someone so insane.

Of course, dear Uncle is undoubtedly up to something quite nasty. I'm quite happy to be uninvolved with his schemes. I wonder when he's going to start trying for new Cousins again.

I wonder if he'll try for me again. I was a Cousin, for one glorious week, before I switched to NatPack. And I made a very lousy Cousin, if I do say so myself. But then, Nick makes a very lousy vampire, and LaCroix hasn't stopped trying to set him straight either. So I do not have much hope.

At least if he tries anytime soon, Hilary will be quite out of his reach. She's travelling, trying to get all over the US and Canada in one month. And she's more vulnerable than me, since she's a Knightie. There's one good thing about being in the NatPack, there are two other ex-cousins in here.

Well, I need to go. Catch you later (can you tell I've been with a bunch of Starman fans the last two days? Details tomorrow).

Selma


Great Adventure Part I
By Laurie M. Salopek

"Susan," I said with a calm but insidious voice, "feel like going on a roller coaster ride?"

"As long are there are NO LOOPS!"

"I don't think this one has loops," I said as I carefully nudge her through the entrance gate.

"I don't like being shaken from side to side. And besides, someone fell out of one of those things head first." There it was, those little defiant intonations that defined a Ravenette.

It wasn't until we were done weeding our way through the maze of railings and were heading down the long covered corridor, that the thunderous noise from overhead yanked her back to reality and the realization that she was trapped.

Susan looked out at the twisted metal tubing that supported the corkscrew loops at the end of the ride.

"It has LOOPS!" Her face first drained and the contorted into a furious facade of facial frenzy.

"I know," I said with a deep cousin purr.

"No! No way!" Susan growled.

"Too late," I said and smiled.

Sharon was waiting for us as we walked backed from the ride. Well, I walked, Susan staggered. Sharon looked over at Susan as she tried to pass by without crashing into the trash barrel.

"There's a bench over there if you want to sit down," Sharon said.

"I don't want to sit down, I want to kill," Susan muttered as she twirled around the trash container and landed on the bench.

"Are you ok?" Ok, maybe it was a dumb question, but it was a cousin kind of question where the subtext of the words act like the final thrust of a stiletto after the major blow has been struck.

Susan glared at me through the narrow slits between her eyelids. "You will pay for this," she said.

I wasn't worried much, the sight of Susan staggering off the ride after seconds of monstrous screaming that almost left her voice dry and cracked was well worth the price.

"Where do you guys want to go next?" Sharon asked.

"Doesn't matter to me." I was quite content with my recent trickery.

"Well, the flume rides should be open by now." Susan was regaining consciousness.

"Sounds good to me," Sharon said.

"I'll watch you guys, I really don't want to get this sweater wet."

"Flume it is," Susan replied a tad too cheery. As we walked away from The Great American Scream, my mind pondered other avenues of torture for the duo that accompanied me.


Great Adventure II: Big Vater!
By Susan Garrett

There are some things that Susan just didn't do--contrary to the opinion of the phone operators in Toronto hotels. She didn't play in traffic. She didn't use her portable phone outside during thunderstorms (well, almost never). And she didn't do rollercoasters that had loops.

Big, hulking wooden monstrosities held together by chewing gum and bailing wire--no problem. Large, boat type adventures with unexpected splashes and big waves--everybody dries off eventually. And though she might enjoy being shaken and stirred, dropped from great heights, thrown from side to side, and being made seriously wet...being turned upside down was never any part of a ticket purchase.

Which was why she was still staggering as the trio of FK fans made their way across the vast commercial enterprise, past fake cobwebs and really cool orange and black fans, and out of Frontierland. Susan knew that many opportunities would present themselves to exact revenge for this cousinish deed, it was only a matter of figuring out what would be a) most appropriate and b) most damaging.

The problem was that Laurie was a Cousin. And Cousins, by their nature, were daring. They tried anything. Twice, if they liked it.

Phobias were out--lots of lovely fake Halloween spiders in sight, but not a darned cockroach. Susan was briefly considering trying to find caramel popcorn, watching Laurie stuff herself full (she was drawn to it like metal filings to a magnet), and then steering her toward the Batman ride....

But they found themselves wandering among the Rivers of the World flume section. And after brief concerns about the small flume, Laurie agreed that they should go on the adventure rapids.

Sharon, of course, had remained silent, still stunned by the loss of her Swiss Army knife at the front gate--she had to be bodily restrained at times to prevent her from going back and checking on it--and had only ventured one opinion...that she was hungry and wanted to eat soon. Even she, however, was willing to brave the rapids.

In full accordance with her luck so far that day (Bugs Bunny wasn't out in his Dracula outfit and Susan--being the rabid character addict that she was--was very disappointed that she couldn't have her picture taken with Bugsula), Susan bought the big one first, in a mighty splash that came up over the back of the raft. Sharon and Laurie enjoyed this immensely.

There was no way to make the raft move one way or the other--the course through the rapids was haphazard and the raft, being round, spun on a whim or random bump from the siding of the ride. All Susan could do was to trust to the luck of Ravenettes and the logistics of ride builders everywhere.

Luck came through. Toward the end of the ride, as they neared the waterfall, the BIG rapids hove into view. Susan grinned, knowing the Laurie and Sharon couldn't see--because they had their backs to their impending doom--but in all fairness kindly pointed out that they were about to meet their watery makers.

They did. The water hit between the seats, drenching Sharon and Laurie to their shorts (and other unmentionables). The wave was enough to cast some scattered water over Susan, but she didn't mind because the music of the water-logged damned (which sounded quite a bit like the screeches of a cat having fallen into a swimming pool) was glorious.

It was as they dripped their way off the ride, just pleasantly soaked but not quite completely drenched, that Susan had another idea. "There's another flume over here," she said. "As long as we're wet--"

"We can dry off while we're eating, afterwards," agreed Sharon.

But Laurie, who had worn a sweater instead of a t-shirt, was watching the sag of the fibers. The holes were growing progressively larger as gravity took over the water-weighted material. "But this is my favorite sweater!" protested Laurie, in a voice filled with dismay. "You guys go, I'll just watch."

That's when Susan realized that her revenge had just been handed to her on a rather wet cotton-and-acrylic platter. "Oh, it's not really a flume," said Susan, steering them around the back of the ride, so they couldn't see what happened. "More like a short rollercoaster that goes through water."

Laurie seemed unconvinced as they headed around the Ferris wheel and into the wooden railings that led to the ride. "The line isn't very long," she announced aloud. She seemed to take some comfort from this--as long lines usually indicated a high percentage of fear/wetness/death-defyingness for a ride.

Susan kept quiet. And Sharon, who was still somewhat concerned about her Swiss Army knife and her inability to compensate for the loss with food, hesitated only briefly when they got into the car. She looked down at the very wet seat, then into the car behind her where Susan and Laurie sat. But in true NatPacker fashion, she decided to stay out of this particular engagement.

The ride was a rollercoaster of sorts. As they started up the incline, the car screaming down the drop not 100 feet on the other side of them hit the water with a splash that managed to reach their car. Laurie groaned, suddenly realizing just how wet this was going to be. And Susan chuckled and held on for dear life.

The drop was steep. When the car hit the bottom, a wall of water rose before them, white blanking out the sky, surrounding them in a limbo of eternal water. The screams broke after that awe-filled silence, followed by whoops and cheers. For a moment, Susan was too overcome by the experience to do more than bounce up and down in her seat, screaming, "Again! Again!" Then she looked at the Cousin beside her.

Laurie was drenched. Her sweater hung low and was sinking fast, the speed of the downward spiral only to be matched by her mood. Laurie was not happy.

But the best was yet to come. As they squished their way off the ride, Susan deftly led Laurie past the immediate exit ramp and up to the bridge. She'd noticed that after the wall of water, they'd been dripped on from above. And she had a feeling that standing on the observation bridge might just do the trick.

"Come on," she told Laurie cheerfully, "you can watch someone else get it."

Laurie's mood improved somewhat and she hurried her pace so they could catch the bridge before the next car went down the drop. It was perfect bait, for no Cousin could resist watching somebody else 'get it.' Sharon sloshed behind, more than up for the adventure. She met Susan's eyes, letting her know that Laurie would be trapped between them and was well aware of what that 'observation' bridge was for.

Standing with a few other thrill-seekers, the trio watched the car drop down the incline, the passengers shrieking. The car hit the wall of water, which rose like a tsunami--

And headed directly for them.

Cousin Laurie emitted a strangled yelp and tried to escape, but with Susan on one side and Sharon on the other, she was trapped. The water hit with just enough force to knock them back a step, soaking them completely from head to toe, plastering down what few dry hairs remained, drenching them down to their skins, and even penetrating the water-proofing on Sharon's oh-so-practical water-proofed hiking boots.

Another moment of stunned awe followed. Susan looked at Sharon and they grinned foolishly, enjoying the spectacle, because Laurie's sweater had grown at least another half a foot and was rapidly stretching its way into a fishing net.

Cousin Laurie was less than amused. She stomped her way down the exit platform, grabbing bits of her sweater not only to wring them out, but to keep them from stretching so that they would trail behind her. Even her open shoes squished, leaving little puddles behind as she sailed off in Rhine-Maidenish splendor.

Susan decided the cost of wet sneakers and water-logged socks (she'd wring them out later) had not been too high. Following Sharon off the ride, she wondered what other deviltry the Cousin might attempt to perpetrate and was content in knowing that she'd match Laurie, loop for loop, drop for drop, and splash for splash.


Great Adventure III: Many Happy Batman Returns
By Sharon Himmanen

Sharon was wet. Very wet. It was shocking, really, just how wet she was. Even her waterproof hiking boots, mandatory apparel whenever following a Ravenette (she'd learned this the hard way not long ago) were waterlogged.

And now Laurie was steering her toward the Batman Returns ride. Sharon had spent the better part of the wait for the water rapids gazing up somewhat morosely at the huge black steel coils several yards away. It should have looked like any standard amusement park ride, with loops and drops. But for some reason, it looked ominous to her. Maybe it was the fact that it was black. Maybe it was the fact that the screams from the riders echoed throughout the park as they spun around. Maybe it was because Laurie was anticipating her ride on it with such obvious delight.

Whatever the reason, it didn't look safe.

But she'd promised. Laurie had gotten wet. Very wet, then whined until she got ten bucks out of each of them for a dry shirt. And somewhere in there she'd wrung a promise out of Sharon to ride the Batman Returns ride.

If truth be told, Sharon would rather have something to eat, but Laurie warned her that it probably wouldn't be a good idea to eat beforehand, and Sharon had to agree.

So they got in line. Susan, having had her fill of rollercoasters with loops, emphatically declined Laurie's invitation to join them. She made no move to intervene on Sharon s behalf. Unlike what had happened to her earlier, the NatPacker knew exactly what she was getting into, and if she still wanted to go through with it because of some misguided sense of honor, well that was fine by her. She'd be waiting at the exit.

The trip through the semi-long line was silent. Sharon had given Susan her mother's phone number in case anything bad happened, and she was quietly contemplating her last moments, realizing that an understanding of the laws of probability, so helpful when teaching college statistics, was suddenly a curse right now.

Every once in a while Laurie would grin up at her and Sharon again thought of all those people spinning helplessly around, sitting on little tiny seats, their legs dangling free in the air.

It definitely didn t look safe.

But now it was too late. They were here. She'd managed to steer Laurie away from the line for the front seat. This was going to be bad enough without having a spectacular and unimpeded view of the entire park and the sky scrolling wildly in front of her eyes as they went.

Once they were strapped in, Sharon went strangely numb. It actually wasn't so bad. She felt very safe, or as safe as one could feel in this situation. She heard the attendant say "Dispatch! Enjoy your ride!" and they were off!

It was over almost too quickly. Sharon grinned wildly as she staggered out of her seat, nearly clipping her shoulder on the edge of the doorway. "That was very life-affirming," she said above the roar of the music and the crowd. "I'd definitely go on it again! It was great! I loved it! But you know, it was a little too short."

Behind her, Laurie struggled to maintain her balance, frowning slightly. Sharon could have sworn she heard her say "Damn! I wish I'd brought my vertigo pills."


Monday, October 17, 1994


I'm Going To Regret This
By Valerie Meachum

"No," Valerie muttered to herself as she hung up the phone. "No, no, no, no, no. I do not have time for this. I don't."

She didn't. Work had been very nuts, and it was impossible to log in even on her mostly nonexistent lunch hours these days. And but two weeks remained before the Wild and Woolly Witch Workout, known to less-informed souls as Macbeth, had to be ready for public consumption, which meant long and tiring rehearsals. Which meant no time for a bloody WAR!

But, alas, such things could not be chosen. Nat's information had been sketchy, but it seemed the Cousins were mobilizing. It had only been a matter of time, really; she was surprised they had taken so long, though July seemed like yesterday in some ways.

She really wasn't sure if she was ready for this. She really wasn't sure what she could do. But she had to be there, ready for anything, lend whatever hand was needed. That's what NatPackers do.

She only hoped the hand wouldn't get bitten off...


Diary Entry
By Laurie M. Salopek

I didn't exactly succeed this weekend, but I didn't fail either. After all the jostling between vendettas, I managed to equalize myself on the scorecard with the NatPacker and the Ravenette. Uncle would not be disappointed, but he would not be impressed. I have no recourse but to e-mail the other cousins and ask for help.

I will be leaving her shortly to traverse the wide black highway home to State College. Fortunately, all my brethren are reachable by e-mail. Sharon will head back to New York and start collecting the rest of the NatPackers for the final blow with Susan and the rest of the Ravenettes as assistants.

It was not a surprise that the clueless uncalculating Knightie's convoluting and cacophony of convalescing cacca was only muffled by the meandering menace of the mangles of meaningless peach fuzz on Nick chin. If he shaved it, Janette may just relent and give him another clue to spend for an episode.

Last and least are the FoDs who can organize themselves but only when the potential food in front of them is free; thick groups of pompous poetic pigs whose main interest are the potential smorgasbord laid before them on laminated liaisons of previously lose libations of lethargic legume. No reason to waste brain cells on the thoughts of their threats.

Still I must not let my guard down. I must not relent (even if no factions posse a threat on the horizon of my victory). I leave before noon tomorrow.

***

Translation For The Above Post

It was not a surprise that the clueless uncalculating Knightie's convoluting and cacophony of convalescing cacca was only muffled by the meandering menace of the mangles of meaningless peach fuzz on Nick chin..

Translation: Nick's peached fuzzed chin is equivalent to Cacca.

Last and least are the FoDs who can organize themselves but only when the potential food in front of them is free; thick groups of pompous poetic pigs whose main interest are the potential smorgasbord laid before them on laminated liaisons of previously lose libations of lethargic legume.

Translation: FoDs eat regurgitated plastic leaves.

Thank You for you attention.


Tuesday, October 18, 1994


The Party's Over
By Sharon Himmanen

To:     Natalie <lambert@morgue.toronto.gov>
        Valerie 
        Selma
        Jennie Hayes
From:   Sharon Himmanen
Subj:   The party's over

Just returned from my weekend at Susan's.  Natalie, you were right to be a
bit worried, although things didn't work out quite as Cousin Laurie
planned I think.  She pulled a few Cousin-ish tricks, involving amusement
park rides, and is now claiming that the weekend ended in a stalemate.
Actually things are a little better than that for our side.  Not only did
her torment of me completely backfire because I liked the Batman
ride (it was really cool!), but we made her really work to get ten bucks
from each of us for a dry shirt. Later that evening, I got ten bucks out
of each of them for a stuffed monkey without any effort at all.  In
fact, they were only too glad to throw money down for me!  All I had to
say was, "Gee, I'd really like a stuffed monkey."

Plus, I think Laurie was a little impressed that I actually went on the
Batman ride with her.  Definite points there.

So, I think this had the potential to develop into something ugly, but it
was suitably defused this weekend.  Maybe Susan and I were the test case
for something bigger.  Maybe Laurie was just trying to amuse herself for a
while.  Who knows.  In any case, she'll need time to dry out and try to
figure out just what went wrong this weekend.

I think this basically means everything's back to normal.  Or at least as
"normal" as they can be. 

Cheers,

Sharon

Diary Entry 2
By Selma McCrory

I got email from Sharon H. today. Not what I wanted to hear, but I suppose it's inevitable that they'd be up to their tricks again. The cousins, that is.

I've written back to Sharon, and I've also dropped a note to Valerie.

So, in consideration, I prepared my own offenses and defenses. Since my dear psychotic vampire, Vince, decided to pop by again, I sent him to see if he could dig up what LaCroix and the cousins were up to. He wasn't too happy, but I wouldn't be either with LaCroix as my master.

At first he was demanding that in return for the information that I'd consent to being brought across. I refused to, and he let it pass, at least for now. Basically I told him that if I was brought across in any shape, way, or form, my first action would be to drag both of us into the sunlight. He mumbled something about Jennise that I didn't quite catch.

So he's cooperating for the moment. For all I know, he could be cutting a deal with LaCroix. But I don't think he's stupid enough to do that.

Well, now all I have to do is wait for everyone to answer my email and for dear Vince to return.

Selma


Wednesday, October 19, 1994


Goin' Mobile?
By Sharon Himmanen

"Late for work again," Sharon muttered to herself as she shrugged into her grey wool coat. A blast of absolutely Arctic air through the bathroom window as she'd been brushing her teeth this morning had informed her that it was winter coat time.

The weekend at Susan's had been almost too much. Her digestive tract would take weeks to recover, she was certain, although she was thankful she wasn't suffering any ill effects from Saturday's drenching, although watching Laurie get soaked from head to toe would have made it all worth it, she thought to herself as she strolled out of the front of her building. And things seemed to have calmed down, too.

There were no cars parked in front of her bulding at the moment. The residents who were home for the day were out driving around until the street cleaners came by, then they'd all come rushing back to get spots in front of the building a little later this afternoon. Sharon was glad she didn't own a car--"opposite side of the street parking" was something she suspected she'd never get the hang of.

She smiled at the Stoop Queen who was in her favorite spot smoking a cigarette. The Stoop Queen ignored her--Sharon hadn't given her any fodder for juicy gossip in the last several months and because of that, she was beneath contempt.

As she turned and headed for the Greek coffee shop located just around the corner for her morning coffee and donut, an unfamiliar copper colored car screeched to a halt in front of her building. The occupants of that car, however, were all too familiar.

Susan and Laurie.

Susan and Laurie? Sharon frowned and slowly approached the car which was still rocking uneasily from its abrupt halt. What in the hell were Susan and Laurie doing here?

***

"Wait, wait, wait!" Sharon said, holding up her hand for Laurie to stop. "You mean to tell me that Nick and LaCroix are on the same side here? That Dorian was coming to interview Susan? And everyone wants control of Susan's fiction? And by extension, since she's the Empress of FKFIC, the fiction list? Plus, you think Nick is setting LaCroix up?"

"That's about it," Laurie said.

"And now you, a Cousin, and you, a Ravenette," Sharon said, indicating each of them in turn, "come to me, a NatPacker, for safety?"

Laurie smiled nervously while Susan dropped her head into her hands.

"What's wrong with this picture?" Sharon said, nodding. She still wasn't sure she believed this story. Susan seemed sincerely distressed at all the attention, but as it was with Cousins, it was always hard to trust the sometimes petulant nature of Ravenettes. Still, she'd learned enough about Laurie from the last couple of wars and over the weekend to know that the Cousin was more than capable of defying LaCroix if she thought the situation warrented it.

Abruptly, she stood up and began pacing her living room. "But," she said thoughtfully, "you did the right thing. Of course we'll help. Who know's what kind of propoganda we'll get if the other groups get control of it. People have a right to write whatever kind of fiction they want. They shouldn't be dictated to." As she spoke, her voice became firmer and more confident. "I mean, the only other group you could turn to are the FoD's. But while I'm sure they would love for Susan to write a really good Schanke story, but they aren't losing their appetites waiting for it. Which basically translates into no sense of urgency. But we can probably still count on them. Dorian's going to be a big problem, though."

She looked hastily around the apartment, then down at her watch. "We can't stay here."

"Why not?"

"A, it's a mess. B, people know where I live. My address was on the survey that barely anyone filled out. C, Sandye and LaCroix probably know how you think, Laurie and will figure out where you've gone, helped by the fact that we just spent the weekend together at Susan's."

"So, where do we go?" Susan asked.

"Well," Sharon said. "That's a good question. Maybe we should just drive, without a plan really, until we figure out what to do. Valerie lives in Ohio. Selma's in California I think, and Jennie's in Illinois. I know we can count on them. There are lots of places. We need time to figure out how to get out of this one."

As she spoke she stuffed a few pieces of clothing into her duffle bag, then stopped suddenly, her face brightening. "Hey! Do you think we should wear disguises?"


Sunday, October 23, 1994


On the Road Again
By Susan Garrett

(Somewhere in Maryland)

It was a Quality Inn. It was night. Laurie's car was at the service station next door. And they were hip-deep in it.

That's really all Susan knew. She opened her eyes and stared at the stained tiles of the hotel room ceiling, wondering what on earth had gotten into her. After all, how bad could it be? All she'd gotten was that message, telling her that Dorian, the Archivist of the vampires, was coming to interview her. And then Karin's friend had shown up and tailored her for that dress.

It was a nice dress. And when you only have three to begin with, you don't turn down a new dress out of hand.

Then Laurie had thrown rocks at her bedroom, gotten her up just before dawn, and off they'd gone to Sharon's in the Bronx, without a plan. They'd headed south, gotten as far as Maryland, and then Laurie's car had developed an sudden case of not-workingness.

Which meant they were stuck in this motel room until the shop opened and the car could be fixed. And then go...where?

There was no where she could go--Dorian would find her. She knew a little of the vampire Code, knew that they took this interview stuff very seriously. If she was caught with her friends, they might get into some serious trouble. Not to mention what would happen to her....

Susan had a feeling there was a way out of this--despite the fact that Janette had decided to pretend that she didn't exist. She was good at loopholes. It was only a matter of getting information and starting to go through it, which was why she needed Ron's help. If you want to look at the Code, you get an Enforcer. And Ron was very Enforcer.

But she was without her laptop and that was her only way to contact Ron, to see if he'd found anything. Her laptop was in Toms River, in her apartment, being watched by vampires--well, they were her friends by they were still vampires. The fact that Karin and Jennise were involved, not to mention the dress nonsense, meant they had something up their sleeves. Maybe it would be better to get back to Toms River, and her laptop.

Besides which, her dog had to be walked....

That decided her. Susan rolled out of bed and crept into the bathroom. After she'd watched and dressed, she headed out of the darkened room, toward the door.

That's when she noticed the chair by the window was empty. Sharon was sound asleep in the other bed, but Laurie was gone.

Laurie was gone.

Checking the lock on the door, Susan noticed that the deadbolt--only lockable from inside--was off. Which meant Laurie had left. For the soda machine? For a candy bar?

It gave her pause. LaCroix and Nick were also supposedly on their way to talk with her about her stories. Nick--heck, he wasn't much of a problem. But LaCroix...you could never be certain what that ex-albino psychopath was up to.

And Laurie was a Cousin. She might be meeting LaCroix. Or she might be bringing LaCroix back with her.

Guessing that Sharon would be safe enough if she wasn't there, she ripped a piece of paper from the hotel pad, scribbled 'Susan isn't here, go away!' in block letters, and used a piece of bubblegum to attach it to the outside of the door as she left. She'd owe Sharon big time for this one.

Susan decided that it was too bad, really, this having to leave in the middle of the night, as she headed for the payphone to call a car service to the Amtrak station. There were some really neat amusement parks in Virginia, which was just around the corner.

And she was desperately in need of another flume ride.


High And Dry
By Sharon Himmanen

Sharon had walked past the phone booth twelve times by her count. She was standing in an Amtrak station in Maryland, in the very early hours of the morning waiting to catch the train back to New York City.

And she was fuming. A family of four, stranded between trains, had been dozing when she'd come in. Now the older boy was sitting up, his eyes sparkling over some of the colorful language Sharon was using in describing Laurie, Susan, Dorian, Nick, LaCroix and Janette, no doubt cataloging it for future reference. The father had also woken up, and he kept clearing his throat and casting reproachful looks her way. Sharon glared back at him and launched into another string of adjectives, getting quite creative this time. Finally, he'd woken up his wife and other son and they'd gone to wait outside on the platform, the older boy tailing along reluctantly.

She'd thought it was over and done with after the Great Adventure fiasco. She thought they were all safe. She'd said so, put her credibility on the line by sending out a general stand down email.

Then Laurie and Susan had suddenly appeared at her doorstep with some convoluted tail involving Nick and LaCroix, and Dorian, the Archivist.

And stupidly she'd agreed to help. So they'd gotten into Laurie's car and drove, drove until the car broke down. Then they'd found a motel. And at one am this morning she'd awakened to find the room empty and a note pinned to the door that read `Susan isn't here, go away!' Both she and Laurie had flown the coop. And stuck her with the hotel bill in the process. When she'd gone to check out they'd informed her that the credit card Laurie had used the night before, the one she'd bragged about getting from LaCroix, was no good. So Sharon had used the last of her cash, then walked nearly three miles to a cash machine so that she could get home.

Well she had had it. Susan could fight he own battles. And as for Laurie... But that phone kept catching her eye. It kept urging her to call Natalie, to tell her about Dorian. But Sharon scowled at it, and turned away, telling herself that she was going to make her way back to New York, curl up in front of the television and let them duke this out with their friends, pets, allies, whatever. She'd watch from the sidelines this time, thank you very much.

Thirteenth pass. Nope, not going to do it, she thought to herself, turning sharply and walking out onto the platform. The family was there, the kids just dozing off again, and she saw the father groan to himself when he caught sight of her. Making a face at him, she went back into the station and passed the phone for the fourteenth time.

But another thought was nagging at her. If Dorian was calling for Susan's interview, were any of them really safe? And just who had ratted on Susan in the first place? It certainly wasn't Natalie. Janette had cut Susan off without a second thought once she'd found out about Dorian and the interview. Nick would probably never do something like that, although he might go along with it once it became fact. She wouldn't put it past LaCroix, but what purpose could it possibly serve?

And who was Dorian going to want to interview once he was finished with Susan?

As she passed the phone for the sixteenth time, Sharon came to a decision and pulled out her calling card. It was 5am--Nat was probably not going to be happy about being woken up, but there seemed to be a lot of that going on right now. Natalie had to know about Dorian, not to mention the fact that Nick and LaCroix might be involved in some kind of conspiracy against list members.

The phone rang four times before Natalie picked up. "Doctor Lambert," she said in a clear voice.

"Nat? It's me, Sharon."

"Sharon? What time is it?" She heard Natalie fumbling around, looking for a clock. Then she heard a little gasp of exasperation before Nat said, "Oh, this better be good. My alarm isn't set to go off for another two hours." There was a slight pause, then Nat added in a tentative voice, "Is everything OK?"

"Well," Sharon said, her tone slightly bitter. "I've been better."

"Where are you? It sounds like you're standing in a tunnel."

"I'm in Maryland."

There was another pause while Natalie digested this information. "Okay. Why?"

Sharon proceeded to pour out the story of how Laurie and Susan had abandoned her, managing to include a good portion of her descriptive adjectives that the young boy had overheard earlier.

Nat was quiet through most of it, although she did make a few sympathetic noises. Finally, when Sharon paused to take a breath Nat broke in. "But...why did you go with Susan and Laurie in the first place? I thought you said everything was fine after the Great Adventure weekend."

Sharon took a deep breath. "That's sort of why I called you," she said. "There's something you should know."

"What?"

"Laurie said something about Nick working with LaCroix."

"Well, I find that hard to believe."

"That's not all," Sharon continued in a small voice.

"I can hardly wait," Nat said, her voice tinged with sarcasm.

Sharon parted her lips, hesitated for a second, then mouthed the word "Dorian." Embarrassed, she cleared her throat, having meant to speak the word aloud but suddenly giving in to slight panic.

"What?" Natalie said, her voice suddenly serious. "Did you just say something?"

Sharon cleared her throat and tried to speak again, this time successfully. "I said...Dorian." She didn't need to be in the room with Natalie to know that the silence on the other end was due to complete shock. She didn't want to think about the expressions that were running across Nat's face right now.

After several seconds of complete, tense silence, Nat spoke. "What...what about Dorian?" Her voice sounded tight, controlled, neutral.

"He wants to interview Susan."

"But Susan's mortal!"

"I know that!" Sharon said, a nervous giggle rising to her lips. She managed to fight it down just in time. "Apparently there's some special section of the code that allows it."

"But...why? And who told him about it?"

"Laurie seemed to think that it was LaCroix. And that Nick is going along with it."

She heard Nat mumble something to herself, swearing she caught the word "brick" in there somewhere. Then Nat asked, "What about Janette?"

"What about Janette. She's cut Susan off."

"Just like that?"

"Just like that."

She heard Natalie sigh. "All right. Go on home. I'm going to talk to Janette. If I can I'll try to get to the bottom of this. If Dorian's suddenly decided to go after mortals on the list I'll need your help."

"Oh, no way!" Sharon exploded. "After what I've been through tonight! I don't think so!"

"Hey! Hey!" Natalie admonished, gently. "This isn't like you!"

"Yeah, well right now my better nature is on vacation!"

"Oh yeah!" Nat challenged. "Then why'd you even bother to call me?"

"Because," Sharon said, then hesitated. "Because...because I just thought you should know, that's all. Now I'm going home to work on my dissertation."

"And just leave Susan to fend for herself?"

"Gee, you mean like she did to me?"

"Well, OK, that was kind of shitty, but have you thought of this? Maybe she was trying to protect you by leaving you behind."

"Yeah, well..." she started to say belligerently, then she paused because she realized Natalie had a point. "I--!" She opened and closed her mouth twice, then sighed and said "Oh, hell!"

"I'll be in touch," Nat said, breaking the connection just as Sharon heard the train to New York roll noisily into the station.


A Guarded Truce?
By Sharon Himmanen

Natalie dropped the phone back into its cradle and slipped out of bed. It was still quite dark outside but she was now wide awake, making a mental note to give Sharon a call some night at 4am when her shift was over. Paybacks were hell, she thought to herself with a small smile.

Natalie didn't want to think about Dorian right now, but she knew she had no choice. She had to get to the bottom of this, as she'd promised Sharon. And if Nick was involved, then she'd need a little more information before telling him. Besides, she wouldn't put it past him to fly off in a huff and just throttle Dorian himself when he found out, and she knew she didn't want that.

Which meant that Janette was her only option, and Natalie didn't think that was much of an option at all. To say that her few dealings with Janette had been tense would be an understatement. During their last encounter she'd felt like a toy caught in the claws of a leisurely and somewhat sadistic cat. And Natalie definitely had not liked the feeling.

As if reading her mind, Sydney came over and arched his back along her shins. She bent down and scooped him up, heading for the kitchen to start her morning coffee.

And then there was all that business during the last war, when some of her more enthusiastic friends had staged an all out attack on the Raven and Janette herself. While she'd publicly asked them to stop and frowned upon it, she had secretly delighted in nearly every score they'd managed against Janette.

But then she remembered Janette's words to her at the end of the last war, just after they'd finished negotiating for Sydney's return, just before Nick and LaCroix had appeared out of nowhere to teach Janette a lesson. Janette had said that the two of them should make more of an effort to get along, but had quickly recanted, saying it was too late.

But Natalie had replied fiercely that it was never too late.

Which meant that now was the time to take her own advice. She glanced over at the phone, wondering if Janette was still up, and figuring that she probably was. Dropping Sydney to the floor, she picked up the phone and dialed the number for the Raven. The phone was answered almost immediately by a male with a heavy accent which Natalie guessed was European.

"May I speak with Janette please," she said, trying to keep her voice firm. She wondered briefly if the person answering the phone was mortal or vampire.

"Who's calling, please," the voice asked.

"Natalie Lambert."

"One moment please." The line went momentarily dead as she was put on hold, then there was a click followed by Janette's familiar, amused tones.

"Doctor Lambert," Janette said. "This is a surprise." Natalie could just picture her with a small smile on her face, blowing cigarette smoke into the air.

"Janette," Natalie replied. She was surprised by the edge in her voice, but decided that it was necessary for now. "We need to talk."

Janette's soft laugh irritated her, but Natalie bit back any comment. "So, you've finally decided that it's time for a little girl talk. How nice. But I'm afraid I don't really have time right now. There is another matter that demands my attention."

Natalie took a deep breath. "That other matter wouldn't involve...Dorian, would it?" She cursed silently to herself at the hesitation in her voice.

And by the silence on the other end of the line she was sure it hadn't been lost on Janette either.

"Well now...what about Dorian? You seem to know him so much better than I." Janette's voice hardened as she said the words. "Did Nicholah tell you this?"

After a moments' pause, during which Natalie weighed whether or not she should say yes or no she said "As a matter of fact, I heard it from a friend of Susan Garrett's. You remember Susan, don't you?" She didn't bother masking the sarcasm or slight accusation in her voice.

The hard edge in Janette's voice hinted at her annoyance. "The affairs of my followers are none of your concern."

Natalie had had enough. "Fine, fine," she said flatly. "I just thought--" She stopped. "Never mind."

She was about to hang up when Janette spoke again, her voice deliberate. "But then again, we may be able to...work something out, exchange information. Something to our mutual benefit perhaps? Nicholah can be so...short-sighted at times, don't you agree?" Natalie didn't hang up, as she was tempted to, but she didn't say anything either. After a time, Janette continued. "Tomorrow night. At my club. Bring your followers, or friends, or...whatever, if you like."

"I don't think--" Natalie started to protest.

"Doctor Lambert, I give you my word. We will meet and talk. You will enjoy my hospitality--and you're friends will behave themselves, hmmm?. That is all. If you would prefer not..."

"No. The Raven is fine," Natalie agreed, reluctantly.

"Good. Oh, and Doctor Lambert, one more thing."

"Yes."

"Do make sure that they, and you, are appropriately attired. If you'd like--"

Natalie didn't hear the rest of it because she dropped the receiver back into its cradle, and muttered a few choice adjectives. She didn't much trust Janette, but at the moment it seemed the only good way to get the answers she needed. And the fact that Janette had agreed to a meeting suggested that there was something going on. They'd meet and talk. And if anything suspicious happened, they could always back out.

Pouring herself a cup of coffee she began making phone calls. She still wasn't sure it was fair of her to disrupt the lives of her friends on such short notice, but she knew she didn't want to face down Janette or a horde of Ravenettes by herself. Sharon would be home at about 10am. It's be a rush but she'd make it to Toronto by tonight, Natalie was sure. Now it was time to see about the rest of her friends.


END PART ONE

[NatPack War3 Stories]