Brother's Keeper II

Part ??


Caine stepped out of the shadows and into the glare of the spotlight. Mary Margaret sat in the center of the illuminated circle, tied to a wooden chair, a small black box on her lap. Gregor stood behind her, leaning casually against the back of the chair. He held a silver cylinder the size of a cigarette lighter in his right hand.

"Don't come any closer, Caine," he warned. He raised his hand with the metal object in plain view. "The bomb your blushing bride is so thoughtfully watching may not be large, but it's enough to kill her and anyone within three feet." He took two deliberate steps backward, removing himself from the deadly radius. "This detonator is activated. If I release it, she expires."

The Shaolin cocked his head. "Why are you doing this?"

"Initially, for the money. Now it's the law of the jungle: kill or be killed." He shrugged. "Nothing personal. At least, not on my part." He seemed vastly amused by the statement.

"Let her go. You do not need her."

Gregor smiled. "Oh, but I do. You see, the man I hired to--take care of you--made one fatal mistake. He tried to kill you directly. I, however, know how fruitless such an attempt would prove."

"I...do not understand." He could sense little true evil in the man's aura, merely a profound self-interest that overrode any consideration for the welfare of others.

"Many have sought in vain for your weaknesses--some have been firmly convinced of your demise, only to be severely disappointed. You have unusual skills, special training, and a phenomenal will. The only way to achieve your termination is to undermine all three."

Caine spread his arms. "How do you intend to accomplish this?"

Gregor gestured at the captive, who had remained silent throughout the conversation. "You love her more than life?"

"Yes."

"Prove it. You are a man of your word. Agree to sacrifice yourself, and she goes free. A fair exchange, don't you think? A life for a life? I'll even let you say goodbye."

Caine met his wife's dark, beautiful eyes. They held no fear, no despair, only...trust. He could almost hear her brave voice in his ears saying, "Go get 'im, tiger."

Yet he could not bring himself to betray her to this steel- hearted murderer. He would gladly have given his life to save Laura and Peter, all those years ago, if he had been allowed the opportunity. He could do no less for Mary Margaret and the child she carried. His choice was clear. He bowed his head to accept the bargain.

Wait.

Though startled, he would never mistake his son's mental touch. Peter? He emptied his mind of all distraction and concentrated on that tenuous connection.

I've got it covered. Be ready to move.

Eyes still downcast, the Shaolin nodded, knowing that his opponent would misinterpret it as acceptance of the deal. Then he looked up, his expression revealing nothing of his knowledge.

"I see you're a sensible man," Gregor began, with a measure of satisfaction. "You realize--"

A shot rang out, shattering the spotlight and plunging the area into total blackness. Even before the glass tinkled to the ground, Caine leapt unerringly to where his enemy stood momentarily transfixed in surprise. With all the speed he could muster, he snatched the detonator, taking great care to keep the activation button depressed.

He heard a rustle of fabric and a click as Gregor, responding to the disruption of his plan, drew and cocked his gun.

A second shot fired, this time followed by a pained grunt, a thud, and a metallic clatter.

Light flooded the scene as Peter located the switch. Gregor lay sprawled on the floor, blood spreading from a shoulder wound. His gun had skittered several feet across the floor.

Caine turned immediately to his wife, removing her bonds with his free hand. Once her arms were loose, she carefully pried open the top of the bomb casing and studied the wires. Behind them, Peter checked on the kidnapper.

"Okay," Mary Margaret murmured, examining the situation. "If I remember correctly, the one that disarms this sucker is..."

"You are certain?" Caine asked, making her pause. He didn't doubt her ability, he simply did not wish to see her harmed by a hasty action.

She grinned. "Some of us stayed awake during our classes." She pulled a yellow wire and the telltale LED winked off.

He took the bomb from her and slid both it and the detonator as far away as possible. Then he pulled her into his embrace, holding her as tightly as he dared. "Are you all right? He did not hurt you?" The relief he felt at having her safe once more could not be put into words.

"I'm just fine--now," she replied, bringing her lips to meet his.

Peter cleared his throat. "I'll go and...call an ambulance. Yeah. So I'll be outside waiting for it--if you need me for anything... Right."

Caine spared a second to wave his son away. Then he was much too busy accepting the rescued damsel's exuberant gratitude to notice much of anything.

[Single Series]


© 1997 Amparo Bertram.