Brother's Keeper I

Part Six


Skalany sat in the driver's seat while her assigned partner, Adam, called in the results of their search, which had turned up nothing. The Catherine Avenue address was a peaceful residence, with no sign of the assassin or his bracelet. The other address appeared to be his place of work.

She rubbed wearily at her eyes. She hadn't fully rested since the night of the attack, a point driven home to her by the repetitive motions of the methodical search of the suspect's house. As long as the case actively engaged her mind, she could stave off impending exhaustion, but she could feel it waiting for her to let her guard down so it could come creeping back to smother her.

She wrapped her fingers around the steering wheel one by one, counting off the reasons she had to solve this case as soon as possible. When she had finished, only one had anything to do with bringing a criminal to justice. "Ready to go, Adam?" she asked her partner.

"Take it away."

The next address was out on Kent Highway, on the other side of town. She spent the drive listening politely to Adam as he filled the silence by chatting about his last sword practice. She found his words spurring her into a daydream about a flashing blade, the liquid gleam as it shattered the light in its whirling path, and the contrast of the man wielding it, standing calm and perfectly centered.

She wanted to join him there, at least to offer him her company, but the dance of the sword kept him isolated, a barrier she dared not cross for fear of the pain it might cause. He could slice her to ribbons if she made the attempt.

The important question was--would he?

She came out of her reverie in time to recognize their destination. "Compudyne Industrial Complex," she read off the sign as she turned into the parking lot. "What do they do here?"

Adam refreshed his memory from the file on his lap. "Computers," he supplied. "Fax machines, communication technology, that sort of thing."

"And our suspect?"

"Head of research and development. He's one smart cookie. Tends to work at night, holed up in the basement labs, but the company doesn't mind as long as he keeps up the results his division has had so far."

They both got out of the car and headed for the main office. It was after business hours, but there were still lights visible scattered throughout the interconnected buildings. The front door was left open for the convenience of those like their quarry who preferred the night shift.

The security guard pointed them to the R&D department quickly enough after examining their warrant. As they followed his directions through the complex, Adam asked, "Do you suppose he's in?"

He hadn't been at his home address. If Skalany's suspicions were correct and he was under contract to assassinate Caine, that would likely be his top priority after his previous failure. She didn't know how long it would take him to make his next move; that was why she was pushing so hard. If she were too late--if he had already left to make the hit... "I certainly hope so," she said.

***

The man known to some as Richards sat in his office, scrolling down through the day's reports. All seemed to be running smoothly in R&D, except for a software bug in Section 17 that should be cleared up by Tuesday.

That reminded him of his own little "bug"--the problem of the Shaolin. It, too, would have to be taken care of swiftly, before his employer became even more nervous. Someone was pressuring Gregor from above, someone powerful, and soon the blackmail disk would no longer be sufficient deterrence.

He opened his middle desk drawer and withdrew an unmarked disk from a box of others, identical save for the information he knew it contained. It was merely a copy, made from his organization's extensive business records, but it had enough evidence of criminal activity to put Gregor away for an inconveniently long time.

It had been distasteful to use the disk so early, but Gregor just couldn't wait. He needed the priest eliminated immediately, and had threatened harm to the man hired to accomplish the task.

Unprofessional.

The assassin returned his disk to its anonymous surroundings and closed the drawer. He would have to develop another plan to fulfill his contract, and with both the target and the police forewarned, it wouldn't be easy. His last plan should have been foolproof; he hadn't counted on the priest's love life.

He wouldn't make the same mistake twice. He had already begun researching the woman who had fouled him up, learning her weaknesses. Perhaps she could even be used to his advantage. This time, no details would be overlooked.

He saved the report file and turned to his next item of business, which--

"Open up!" a stern voice commanded, accompanied by fierce pounding at the door of his office.

"Police!" a second called out.

He sighed and turned off his computer, then stood up and opened the door before the hardworking cops kicked it down. "Yes, officers?" he asked as he let them in. No doubt his cover company had come under investigation for something and the police were only doing their job. A nuisance, but he saw no reason to be uncivilized. "May I help you?"

He revised his opinion of the situation when the two strode into his office, guns drawn. He couldn't miss identifying the object of his most recent study glaring at him over a steady barrel, though he fought to keep the light of recognition from his eyes.

"Hands up," Skalany ordered, her voice molten steel.

He did as she instructed, backing farther into his office with pretended innocence. He couldn't risk drawing his gun with both of theirs trained on him, and besides, he had been meticulous in expunging anything that might connect him to any crime, so they must be bluffing.

"Search him for it," Skalany told her partner while pulling a piece of folded paper from her pocket that was most likely a valid warrant. Her weapon didn't waver.

Her partner advanced and grabbed the assassin's arm. Poised to explain why he carried a firearm, the man was taken completely by surprise as his sleeve was shoved back, revealing the gold bracelet his mother had given him.

Skalany's lips compressed into a thin line at the sight. "That's the one," she confirmed. "Arrest him."

He could delay action no longer. Before the partner finished inhaling to say the words, the assassin threw him off balance by pulling the arm away and took him out with a swift chop to the neck.

"Freeze!" Skalany shouted, but by this time he had his gun in hand. He used her distraction at seeing her partner fall to shove her aside and dash through the open door into the dark, empty hallway.

He knew these corridors and research labs blindfolded, he had a fully loaded weapon, and he had a head start. He couldn't help displaying a smile of satisfaction as he raced for the best room from which to mount his counterattack. He could hear her footsteps in the distance behind him, but it was already too late for her. He had the advantage.

And he knew how to use it.

End Part 6

[previous] [next] [Single Series]
© 1996 Amparo Bertram. Previously published on KFFIC.