Brother's Keeper I

Part One

by Amparo Bertram


A trail of smoke curled up from the cigarette in his hand as Gregor spoke on the phone. The light in his office barely disqualified it from being complete darkness, so a casual observer would have to strain to make out the antique furniture and expensive works of art that contributed to the room's subdued opulence.

But then, a casual observer couldn't have gotten this far with his rib cage intact.

Gregor crossed his legs and leaned back in his chair. "I understand, sir. My accountants have shown me quite plainly where he has affected our profits." He brought the cigarette to his lips. No other sound could be heard in the room, not even traces of outside traffic or the ticking of a clock.

He exhaled the smoke before speaking again. "So, you want me to eliminate him? ...Of course, Mr. C, my resources are excellent. I will have him taken care of."

He changed his grip on the receiver as he tapped his cigarette over the crystal ash tray on his desk. A frown line creased his forehead, the only outward sign of his frustration with the voice on the other end of the line. "I realize it will be difficult, sir, but let me reassure you that the task will be accomplished. I give you my personal guarantee. If my men cannot handle it, I will do it myself."

The voice spoke once again before Gregor concluded the conversation with, "Yes, Mr. C. I will contact you then." He replaced the receiver carefully in its cradle. Only then did he allow himself a flicker of emotion.

"Caine," he growled, crushing the cigarette in the ash tray.

***

Peter tapped a handful of papers against his desk to square the corners and slid them into a folder. He looked up just as a familiar figure started to walk past. "Hey, Skalany," he said. "Calling it a night?"

She paused on her way out and smiled. "Yep. Got a hot date planned."

"Oh ho ho! You have something special in mind?"

"Actually..." She leaned in over his desk. "I was thinking of a little intimate meditation for two." She winked.

He groaned and covered his ears, squeezing his eyes shut. "I didn't need to hear that," he protested. He shouldn't have asked. He should have known better.

She pried one of his hands away from his ear to be certain he could hear and said, "Oh, Peter, you're such a big baby. I'll catch you tomorrow." She released his hand, letting it slap back into place.

He watched through narrowed eyes as she sauntered out the exit, then relaxed. She enjoyed teasing him about her relationship with his father...at least, he thought she was mostly joking. Not that it was really any of his business, when he got down to it, what the two of them did together. They were all adults, right?

Except that it felt like his business. Everything in his father's life affected him in some way. He wanted his father to be happy, of course, and if Skalany contributed to that happiness he should be grateful. He knew that. Why, then, did it make him so uncomfortable?

The phone rang, jarring him out of his musing. "Hundred and first, Detective Caine speaking," he answered.

The person on the other end wasted no time. "Caine?" The low voice shook. "You're working on the Marion murder, right?"

"That's correct. Who is this?"

"Never mind who I am. I have some information for you."

"Go ahead." He picked up a pencil and looked for a clean space on a piece of scrap paper.

"Not here. Not over the phone. I want you to meet me at 1034 Hudson, three hours from now. You got that?"

Peter finished scribbling down the address. "Yes. How will I recognize you?"

"Don't worry, Detective. I'll recognize you." The line went dead.

"Great." He hung up the phone. With a sigh, he dug out the Marion file and scanned it to refresh his memory. Marion, James R., white male, age 34. Found shot to death in an alley in Chinatown, professional hit. No suspects. Motive unknown. No leads. Possible connection to prostitution, unconfirmed. Low priority.

He closed the file and set it aside, thinking. The murder was several weeks old and still way down on his list of cases to investigate. Usually he would jump at the chance to obtain a clue or two that might help him wrap the whole thing up, but this time a sixth sense--whether the tingling in his palms or the pricking of his thumbs--warned him that not all was as it seemed. Something else was going on, and every instinct he owned or borrowed told him it was something big.

The stumper of the day was, would it be "hotshot-detective-takes-down-an-entire-prostitution-ring" big or "Peter's-in-trouble-again-call-his-father-to-help" big? He had three hours to figure it out.

What options did he have? Well, he could consider the message a prank and ignore it completely. It wouldn't necessarily be very responsible, but it would be the safest route. Not that he had ever concerned himself with his personal safety when it came to solving crimes. Besides, the caller had known too much about him and the case for it to be a coincidence.

Second, he could go to the meeting with some kind of backup. Then the informant might spook and he would never know what he could have learned. Also, if it turned out to be nothing, he would feel foolish for overreacting to something he should be able to handle on his own.

Third, he could go alone and face whatever the future held. If it turned out to be a good, solid lead, he could follow it up on his own. If he got in over his head... He couldn't expect his father to come to his rescue every time, especially not when Caine might be...meditating.

No. He had to do his best and take his chances.

End Part 1

[next] [Single Series]
© 1996 Amparo Bertram. Previously published on KFFIC.