You've got a clutter of buildings, temples, and major landmarks all jumbled together into a large capital city populated by millions of people going about their daily business. You think, perhaps, a bit of excitement would be just the thing, and maybe even a change of scenery. This list might be exactly what you need...

Top Ten Ways to Destroy Tokyo

(Or at least cause some major damage...)

10) Giant animals/plants
Dragons make quite a statement, especially when they twine their sensuous coils around projecting architecture (Sohryuden). The more aggressive members of the plant kingdom are not to be taken lightly, either (Blue Seed).

9) Overenthusiastic police
Their hearts may be in the right place...but their aim generally isn't. You may see them patrolling the streets in their tanks (Dominion Tank Police) or top-of-the-line mecha (Patlabor), but if it ever comes to a showdown with a criminal, it's best to evacuate first and ask questions later.

8) Alien invaders
Whether they swoop out of the sky in advanced spacecraft (Macross) or arrive under their own power (Neon Genesis Evangelion, Tenchi the Movie), they usually aren't satisfied until they've caused mass destruction, preferably wiping out the entire human race in the process. Nothing personal, I'm sure.

7) Evil demons
They typically show up in search of a light snack--a tasty soul or two (Yuu Yuu Hakusho), life energy (Sailor Moon), or the nourishment from a blood sacrifice (Tokyo Revelation). With so many lip-smacking humans in such close proximity, who could blame them for wanting to stick around and set up shop...or a fast food joint?

6) Angry gods
They may have unimaginable power, but they sure haven't mastered the art of interpersonal relations. No sooner do they learn of a population center than they move in and try to take over (Fushigi Yuugi). So what if a few blocks are demolished in the process?

5) Alternate dimensions
Compared to some of the planes of existence out there, ours is a paradise vacation spot. Rather than drop in on the holidays, the denizens of some of the more uninhabitable regions decide, why not bring the whole shebang over for good? (Combustible Campus Guardress, Demon City Shinjuku)

4) Corrupt megacorporations/governments/secret societies
They're sinister, powerful, amoral, and will stop at nothing to stick their fingers into every piece of the pie. They don't necessarily want to *rule* the world...just as long as they run the important parts of it. (Sohryuden)

3) Berserk robots/cyborgs/androids
They're strong, armed with anything from machine guns to rocket launchers, and can look like normal humans (on their good days), with attitudes to match. These guys make the Terminator seem like a wind-up toy. (Bubblegum Crisis, Ghost in the Shell)

2) Supernatural humans
Whether they're born with paranormal abilities (Tokyo Babylon) or develop them later in life (Please Save My Earth), when these ladies and gentlemen go head-to-head, it's time to run for the hills. A helpful hint: avoid tourist attractions at all costs (X).

1) Teenagers (especially cute ones) with Destinies
They may not consider themselves special, but reality will warp around them if they're not careful (Ranma 1/2). The damage they inflict upon their surroundings could be minor (Oh My Goddess!), or kingdoms might fall in their wake (Vision of Escaflowne). Either way, Fate has a mind of its own.

[Short Scenes]
© 1997 Amparo Bertram