These boys were selected based partly upon their looks (to which the word
"adorable" generally applies, rather than "gorgeous"), but mainly upon
their personalities. They're the ones who make us just want to go
"awwwwww" and give them a big hug--and no matter how much we'd *like* to
lust after some of them, they tend to make us feel like dirty old women
for even considering it.
Top Ten Sweetest Anime Boys in the Universe
(Limited, of course, to shows that we have seen, and as always, Your
Spelling May Vary.)
- 9) Ikari Shinji (Neon Genesis Evangelion)--Ogata Megumi
- He has a horrible family life--his mother died, and his father treats
him like a tool--and he tends to retreat into solitude and music. One of
three children (so far) who pilot the mecha that are Earth's best defense
against alien attacks, he bears a heavy burden of life and death
responsibility. If *anyone* is a candidate for a big hug, he's it.
- 8) Masaki Tenchi (Tenchi Muyo)--Kikuchi Masami
- What a horrible position for an unsuspecting teen--to discover that he
is a descendant of a powerful royal house, and then to have scads of
beautiful (and rather kooky) alien women fall in love with him. What is
the poor boy to do? Luckily, he's a perfect gentleman to all of them,
despite their clinging and teasing and occasional attempts to acquire a
- 7) Morisato Keiichi (Oh My Goddess!)--Kikuchi Masami
- He wanted take-out, he got his very own goddess for a girlfriend. And
her two sisters. But he handles the situation well, for her sake; he would
do *anything* for her. Just wait till he finally gives her that ring...
- 6) Prince Hotohori (Fushigi Yuugi)--(only in flashbacks)
- What he needed most was to be loved by someone--not because he would
soon become emperor, not because he bore the mark of the legendary Seishi,
but because he was a precious, lonely little boy. He dreamed that perhaps
the Suzaku No Miko, a girl from another world, untouched by his country's
political circles, would be that person. He grew up to be a strong,
confident leader for his people, but he always carried that boy and his
hopes inside him.
- 5) Shido-ouji (Vision of Escaflowne)--?
- [What kind of name for a prince is "Sid," anyway?] His mother raised
him on stories of the invincible hero, Asturian knight Allen Schezar. He
never knew that Allen was his real father, who loved his mother greatly
and yet lost her because, as a princess, it was her duty to marry the man
her father chose. Even so, a bond exists between the blue-eyed prince and
the golden knight, a bond that goes far deeper than the words that must
remain forever unspoken.
- 4) So Chuei (Fushigi Yuugi)--?
- The younger brother of the Seishi warrior, Tamahome, he takes care of
his family when his brother is off earning money to support them. He tries
so hard to be the man of the house, he even puts up with being tackled by
the Suzaku No Miko when she mistakes him for Tamahome, her true love. His
bravery and dedication to protecting his younger siblings from an enemy's
vicious attack are utterly heartbreaking.
- 3) Kasama Haruhiko (Please Save My Earth)--Yamaguchi Kappei
- Saddled with a debilitating heart condition--not to mention the soul
of an alien from an ill-fated moon mission--he is soft-spoken and kind to
everyone he meets. With such a gentle personality, he deserves so much
more than fate has dealt him.
- 2) Lushe Lenlen (Bastard!)--Fuchizaki Yuriko
- Little would one suspect that the body of this innocent, trusting
child actually contains a powerful, vain, demonic, ancient sorcerer locked
inside, to be released only by a virgin's kiss. Little did the sorcerer
suspect how much the boy's pure feelings--especially of love--would affect
- And, of course, tied for first place:
- Sumeragi Subaru (Tokyo Babylon)--Yamaguchi Kappei
- The head of a powerful, respected family of spiritual mediums, Subaru
is nevertheless unfailingly compassionate and polite--often to his twin
sister's disgust, especially when he bows to the telephone. He feels
strongly for everyone, usually to the point that he can't bring himself to
employ his powers ruthlessly enough to punish those who truly deserve it.
The white doves he uses are a perfect match for his shining spirit.
- Prince Arslaan (The Heroic Legend of Arislan)--Yamaguchi Kappei
- Responsibility is thrust upon him at the tender age of fourteen when
his father, the king, is captured and his country conquered, but he is
strong enough to bear the weight of his heavy golden crown. His
instinctive empathy allows him to find just the right words to inspire
profound loyalty in those who serve him--though it makes him a lousy
© 1997 Amparo Bertram