Shock Treatment

A Yuu Yuu Hakusho scene

by Amparo Bertram
inspired by Jenn and Nuriko-neko


Hiei sat on the narrow windowsill, one leg dangling to the floor, watching the seemingly endless fall of snow. It was snowing in his preferred region of the Makai as well, and while the cold itself didn't bother him, the constant barrage of damp flakes that obscured his vision and soaked through to his skin made for an uncomfortable night. He had sought out the refuge his friend offered, despite having to put up with--

A feather-light touch against his ankle sent a delicate tingle through him, emanating from the point of contact, capturing his attention. He slid his gaze away from the scene outside and regarded the silver kitsune, who took a sudden interest in innocently preening his tails. Sharing Kurama's dwelling for the evening often came at the price of keeping the fox entertained.

"I'm not in the mood," he warned.

If the youko was disappointed, his vulpine face didn't show it. He rose to his feet and trotted off into the next room, paws soundless on the carpet.

The youkai turned back to the view, such as it was. Although common enough in the Makai, he had come to learn that thick snow flurries were relatively rare in this part of the Ningenkai, and that sense of excitement added to Kurama's desire to play. He had even taken on his full fox form to commemorate the occasion.

Hiei felt his friend approach again. For a moment he thought his declaration had gotten through to the persistent creature, but then the soft muzzle brushed his bare arm, sending a familiar sharp fire dancing along his nerves. He glared his annoyance with a skill of expression honed over years of antagonizing powerful demons.

The kitsune merely grinned and padded away toward the kitchen.

Hiei leaned against the pane and growled deep in his throat. Sometimes he wasn't sure why he didn't strangle the insufferable beast--except that strangling wasn't really his style, and he had already ruined one perfectly good sword on the redhead.

A pair of twitching ears, bright eyes, and a pointed nose poked around the edge of the doorway. The fire demon scowled darkly, which the fox apparently interpreted as an invitation. He bounded back into the room, tails waving in exaggerated joy.

Hiei refused to surrender. Instead, he matched the sharp-toothed smile with a wicked one of his own. Launching himself forward, he tackled his friend, delighting in the startled yelps as his hands roved mercilessly over the static-charged fur, prompting dozens of zinging, crackling bursts of electricity where the squirming animal least expected them.

Apparently the fox had forgotten that revenge was the best game of all.

The End

[Short Scenes]
© 1998 Amparo Bertram