Top Ten Most Droolworthy Anime Costumes

(From the female perspective...)

10) Tsuchiya Kei-kun in black (Marmalade Boy)
He may be young, but with those eyes and the more mature attitude he possesses by the end of the series, he is a serious contender. Black definitely suits his musician image, as well, and he has the self-confidence to carry it off. Give him a couple more years, and he'll have all the girls swooning.

9) Van Fanel...shirtless, wings extended (Tenkuu no Escaflowne)
Okay, so this is cheating, a little. Still, the ease with which his simple shirt can be discarded is a decided advantage, and that sword belt slung at an angle around his hips can't help but draw attention. Sometimes less is more.

8) Kamui's school uniform (X)
Black again...let's face it, anime guys look great in it, and Kamui is no exception. This outfit, which gives him the mysterious appearance appropriate for someone so powerful, has the added bonus of functionality. It serves equally well for strolling down a Tokyo street in broad daylight or flitting across rooftops in the dead of night--you can't go wrong.

7) Ranma Saotome's dragon tunic (Ranma 1/2)
All dressed up for the ice-skating competition from hell, the bright, primary colors are just right for his bold personality. The dragon design snaking across his chest accentuates his notable physique. He may say the rudest things at times, but when he's looking like *that*, who's listening?

6) Darshu in blue (Bastard!)
Possibly the hero most well known for his flamboyant *lack* of clothing, he still has an innate sense of style, and since he can conjure up anything he pleases with his magic, he has every opportunity to strut his stuff. The rich blue of the outfit he wears while battling Arshes Nei beautifully sets off his striking silver-white hair, and the simplicity of the cut prevents it from detracting in any way from his lean, predator's build.

5) Daryoon in armor (The Heroic Legend of Arislan)
Is it any surprise that this dark, brooding warrior looks so devastating in black? The epitome of the noble, loyal soldier, he no doubt chooses his clothing out of practicality and pride in his duty, not even suspecting the effect it can have.

4) Tasuki's purple outfit (Fushigi Yuugi OAV II)
It's hard to find colors that go well with red hair, but for an uncouth mountain bandit, he certainly manages quite the impressive wardrobe. Not only does he capture the roguish charm that makes him so unique, he accessorizes like a pro. Some guys are just made for jewelry, and he's a shining example.

3) Hotohori in armor (Fushigi Yuugi)
Imperial robes are all well and good, but such a talented swordsman is made for a uniform that shouts "Action!" Designed to emulate Suzaku's brilliant reds and oranges, the emperor's battle armor is easily a match for his inner fire. And, to be brutally honest, after so many episodes of watching him pin his gorgeous hair under that silly hat, it's an incredible relief to see him in something dashing and heroic.

2) Yasha...'nuff said (RG Veda)
The man's hair is practically a garment in itself--goodness knows his tunic barely keeps him covered. With an open front that leaves his chest bare, no sleeves, and slits up the sides that reach his hips, there isn't much of his body that isn't on display. Since the body in question is the breathtaking result of centuries of combat training, he isn't going to hear many complaints.

1) Evil Tamahome (Fushigi Yuugi)
If there's one thing that can be said for the Seiryuu No Miko, it's that she sure knows how to dress her men. While it may be painful to watch him under the influence of Kodoku, at least it's not because of the view, which includes a tantalizing strip where the two halves of his tunic don't quite meet. The peekaboo navel, the air of danger, and the black color scheme together form a winning combination.

[Short Scenes]
© 1998 Amparo Bertram