First Date

A Yuu Yuu Hakusho scene

by Amparo Bertram
inspired by Jenn


"Hiei, wait!"

The youkai paused, although--true to his literal nature--he didn't come down from the tree he had entered preparatory to vanishing. In the distance ahead, Yuusuke and Kuwabara separated, each presumably heading for home. Kurama leapt for the branch upon which his friend stood, grabbing it and swinging his limber form around to crouch on its upper surface. After a moment to be sure of his balance, he straightened.

"What is it?" Hiei asked.

Kurama rested a hand affectionately on his friend's shoulder. They had only recently acknowledged their mutual attraction, and he still wasn't entirely certain how his gestures of physical intimacy would be received. So far the youkai had accepted everything he had offered--a gentle caress when the others weren't watching, a squeeze of the hand for strength, a relaxing backrub in the privacy of his room--but he didn't want to proceed too quickly.

He had finally decided they had attained a stage at which he could push a bit farther. "I would like to invite you to join me this Friday evening, at around seven, if that's all right."

He could readily perceive Hiei's suspicions. He usually allowed his friend to drop in his window unannounced; he had never attempted to arrange a visit before. "Why?"

"It's a date."

Hiei only frowned at him, obviously not comprehending his intent. Kurama elaborated. "You know, a candle-lit dinner, a movie, maybe dancing. People do it all the time."

"What's the point?"

"To enjoy ourselves, of course!" Since Hiei still appeared dubious, he tried to put it another way. "Think of it as a ritual. A test, of sorts. I follow a list of prescribed actions, and at the end of the evening, if I've succeeded..." His sly smile made his green eyes sparkle. "If I've been charming enough, I get to kiss you goodnight."

At that, the little youkai blinked. "If you want to kiss me," he said, puzzled, "just ask."

"May I kiss you?"

Hiei shrugged his permission. Kurama leaned down and brushed his lips teasingly. "Nice. But not much of a challenge." He trailed a finger lightly along the other's cheek. "You're a valuable prize, you should allow yourself to be won, not given away without contest."

He watched his friend's struggle between pleasure at the compliment and annoyance at the criticism. "So," Hiei concluded at last, "it's another of your games."

"You might say it's the game," he admitted.

"And will your mother be there for this 'date'?"

Kurama shook his head. "She's going on a trip with friends to a hot spring. It will be just the two of us."

Hiei crossed his arms, silent while he weighed the alternatives, his thoughts plain. On the one hand, he would have to put up with the fox's human "ritual." On the other, being alone with a Kurama who was trying to kiss him was not exactly a bad thing. After a minute that seemed eternal, he gave his answer. "I'll be there."

"Wonderful. I'll be expecting you." He bent closer. "One more kiss for the road?"

The little youkai snorted. "You want to play, follow your own rules." In a blink he disappeared, leaving Kurama with a warm palm...and a promise.

Kurama had every detail of their date meticulously planned, from the menu to the movie to the music. He wanted to give Hiei the full treatment, and he wanted it to be perfect, because he didn't know if his friend would ever consent to such an experiment again.

They dined by candlelight. Kurama did his best to make neutral small talk, but the youkai wasn't exactly a sparkling conversationalist. Inevitably, he wound up conveying his most significant comments with his eyes. His next step was to brush his friend's hand while they reached for the same item, an "accident" that took a substantial amount of forethought to make it appear natural.

The movie he selected contained enough action to keep Hiei's attention, mixed with sufficient romance to allow him the opportunity to drape his arm over the youkai's shoulders without seeming out of place.

The music he kept soft and simple. Hiei protested at first, but when he realized he would only be asked to hold Kurama close and sway in time with the rhythm, he relented. Kurama luxuriated in the sensation of strong arms wrapped securely around his waist, a hot body pressed firmly against his own.

The time came for the evening to end. He thought his friend had enjoyed himself, but with Hiei it was often hard to tell. He couldn't walk his friend home, so he did the next best thing: he led the youkai to their traditional place of parting, his bedroom window.

Gentle breezes ventured inside, teasing his hair. They both knew the moment of truth was at hand.

"Well?" Kurama asked softly. He couldn't prevent his heart from speeding up as he waited for a reply. "Did you like it? May I kiss you goodbye?"

Hiei considered seriously, his eyes measuring the fox. Then he stepped over to the window and hopped up on the sill. "No," he decided, gazing out into the night.

Kurama tried to suppress a sigh of disappointment. He had hoped...but perhaps the game simply wasn't to his friend's taste.

Hiei reached out, shoved the window shut, and turned to face him. "...Because I'm not leaving."

The End

[Short Scenes]
© 1997 Amparo Bertram