Baby Caine

A Kung Fu: The Legend Continues scene

by Amparo Bertram


Caine held his new child for the first time. His feelings at this moment were so overwhelming that he thought he must shout his joy to the rising sun, yet he could not bring himself to utter a sound.

He cradled the tiny bundle in the crook of his left arm, next to his heart. The eyes were wide open, already aware of the outside world, ready to take on all challenges. Caine brushed his fingers lightly across the thick, dark hair, reveling in the tickling sensation.

He gazed down at his wife, who lay in the bed by his side. She was exhausted and on the verge of falling asleep, but she wanted to share this moment with him. "All the parts are there, right?" she asked.

He smiled and reached out to clasp her hand. "Yes," he answered, though he knew she was teasing. The sunlight peeking through the window dappled her skin, filtered by the leaves of the plants he had placed around the room to give it a more natural atmosphere.

He could feel her love for him and their child radiating from her touch. It astounded him once again that he had met and fallen in love with such an amazing, formidable woman, and he marveled every day that she had consented to marry him, despite his unusual lifestyle that differed so greatly from her own.

Just then a young man entered the room, closing the door quietly behind him. He made his way over to the bed and stood next to the Shaolin. "I came as soon as I could," he whispered, reluctant to disturb the sense of serenity and peace. He leaned over the infant and offered his finger, grinning as a miniature hand curled around it. "May I?"

Caine chuckled at the other's hesitance. "Of course." He carefully transferred the newborn into the younger man's arms.

"Wow. Oh, wow. I--I don't know what to say." He looked up from the baby's mesmerizing stare. "Have you agreed on a name?"

"Peter..." Caine began, but he was so overcome with the scene his eyes beheld that words failed him.

The proud mother squeezed his hand in understanding and completed his sentence for him. "...Meet your new sister, Mary Carmen Caine."

The End

[Short Scenes]
© 1995 Amparo Bertram. Previously published on KFFIC.