Loved Ones

A Yuu Yuu Hakusho short story

by Amparo Bertram


Prologue

I love my son. He means the world to me, and I would do anything for him. He's always been there for me, especially during the rough times. He's the best child a mother could hope for.

However, occasionally he drives me to distraction.

I want him to be happy. His beautiful green eyes were meant to shine, his lips to smile. His laughter is like magic, filling the hearts of those who hear it with joy. When his spirits fall, the world around him becomes a sadder place, and I wish I had the power to make his troubles disappear.

For the past several months, he has been very happy. That's how I first realized he was in love.

I didn't automatically make the connection between his bright mood and his new friend. It was only natural for me to think that at last he had fallen for one of the girls at school. He is at the right age to be dating, and I was sentimental enough to think a high school romance would be a perfectly adorable cause of his good cheer. I wondered when he would bring her to meet me and imagined what she must be like to have captured his interest.

Meanwhile, I also wondered at this dark, blunt, arrogant friend and what he could possibly have in common with my polite, gentle Shuuichi. Perhaps my understanding took longer because they never touched, never exchanged kind words, never appeared to spend their time on anything other than teasing and insults.

I'm not sure exactly when the truth dawned on me. I didn't want to believe it, at first. I told myself it was a ridiculous conclusion, there was no evidence whatsoever, and I should be ashamed of myself. Yet once the idea was planted, I couldn't rid myself of it, and I began seeing what had been in front of me all along. The affection behind the jokes. The physical closeness, even without contact. The eyes that whispered secrets meant for them alone.

Hiei didn't like me. It hurt a little, but after a while it was impossible to take personally, because he didn't like *anyone*. When he spoke, it was usually with sarcasm. He made it quite plain that he would rather be anywhere else than in our house interacting with us. Even so, he continued to come, for no reason other than that my son requested it. That in itself was a sign of the bond between the two.

For his part, Shuuichi continued to make the request. Not frequently, not more than once in any given week, but consistently. It puzzled me that he would do so. It isn't in his nature to drag someone into a situation so uncomfortable--not without a reason.

After several such visits, however, the strategy became clear. He was giving us all the opportunity to acquaint ourselves slowly. He took great pains to point out the positive qualities on both sides. Bit by bit, I started to recognize what drew him to this friend.

Hiei is strong and independent. He takes action to achieve his desires rather than sitting back and waiting for the world to slip past. He doesn't let others do his thinking for him, he forms his own ideas and opinions. Though he rarely smiles, he often provokes Shuuichi's welcome laughter. He cares about little, but he is fiercely protective of what he does value; I need never fear for my son's safety if he is near.

That, more than anything, enabled me to come to terms with what I guessed of their relationship. When Shuuichi finally approached me to confess his feelings, I was able to discuss it with him calmly, instead of reacting out of shock.

It was still difficult for me to hear the words spoken aloud. My son is in love with another boy. He assured me that it wasn't my fault, that I didn't do anything wrong in raising him. He explained that it simply meant he was opening his heart to a person with a beautiful spirit, someone he had known for years, and it didn't matter to him what body that spirit wore.

We talked late into the night. He promised that, if it truly bothered me, he would stop bringing his friend to the house. But he also said that he was deeply devoted to Hiei and hoped I would accept them as a couple.

I appreciated his honesty. I knew how awkward the first stages of a new relationship could be, particularly when seeking the approval of one's family. Despite my initial reservations about the concept, I couldn't bring myself to refuse, not when romance had such a beneficial effect on him. As long as they remained discreet in front of others--for their own protection and peace of mind--I was fine with it.

When I told him my decision, he practically glowed.

Three months have passed since then, and not once have I regretted my choice. I still believe it would be easier if he were dating a nice girl, like most boys his age, and because I want only the best future for him, I can't help wishing sometimes that this first love will fade and allow a new, more normal one to take its place. However, as long as he is content, I will continue to give him my support. He deserves it.

If I've learned one thing from having a teenager, it's that life is constantly full of surprises.


Hiei and Kurama were sitting in a tree.

They weren't exactly kissing, but the fox was definitely getting in his daily quota of nuzzling while he had the chance. He was glad the fire demon was in the mood to "tolerate" the nibbling at his shoulder and the fingers working their way under his shirt. The full canopy provided them with as much privacy as they needed, in addition to shade from the hot summer sun.

Hiei leaned back against his companion, squirming a little to accomodate the mischievous hands. He had one knee drawn up, the other leg dangling over the side of the branch. He hadn't said anything since he had been pounced upon, but he had grinned wickedly when the youko whispered suggestions for more and more outrageous activities in his ear.

"I love summer vacation," Kurama sighed. It was wonderful to spend the day at ease, alone with such a delicious creature. He did occasionally miss the liberty of his former existence, the freedom to choose on a whim how to occupy his time, to share pleasure with his lover whenever and however they liked.

He moved his lips to the youkai's neck, sucking pensively. There were distinct advantages to his current life as well. These moments might be rare, but they were all the more precious. "So," he murmured, "you've heard my ideas. What do *you* want to do this week?" He punctuated his question with a tickle.

The fire demon shrugged. He reached up and stroked the kitsune's hair. "Why me?"

"What?" He traced the firm muscles that had become so familiar to him. "Don't you think you should have a say in the matter? You are planning on staying, aren't you?"

Hiei twisted around to regard his lover. "Not that. Why did you pick me? To--to be...with you."

"What brought this on? You know why, baka."

The youkai frowned and settled back into place. "I'm not so sure anymore."

Kurama pinched him. "Is this about the love letter I found tucked in my books the other day? I told you not to worry about it."

"I'm not worried."

"What, then?" Prying answers out of the smaller demon was never a simple task.

"I wonder... Am I what you think me to be? Am I what you truly want? Or are you chasing an illusion?"

The youko blinked in surprise. "Of course I know you," he protested. "I know you better than anyone. And I know you're *exactly* what I want." He squeezed his lover tightly. "What I *need*. Does this feel like an illusion to you?" He released his grip so that he could take the other's hands. "You're my life."

"But which one? Your human life?" This time there was a note of accusation in his voice. "I'm youkai. It's my nature. Yet you can't face that. You're ashamed of it."

"That's not--!"

"Oh?" He pulled out of the loose embrace and turned so that they could confront one another fully. "What you seem to want is a mortal you can show off to your family."

"Hiei, that's not fair." To me or to yourself. "I'm very proud to have you. That's why I told my mother about us. The two people I love most shouldn't be strangers to each other." He shook his head. "But I can't tell her we're not human. That's a different matter entirely, and you are perfectly aware of it."

The fire demon lashed out. "Then there are some things too terrible for even blood ties to overcome. Truths about me that she can't be asked to accept."

"It's just..." He paused, realizing that his lover's anger was mostly an attempt to disguise and banish the hurt. The issue here went much deeper than it appeared. "This isn't about my mother, is it? You couldn't care less what she thinks of you." He leaned forward. "Unless you're using her to predict the reaction of someone else? Someone close to you?"

The youkai said nothing. It was answer enough.

"We're stuck, then, aren't we? I believe you should tell the whole truth. You've challenged me to do the same." He understood now why his partner had been so reluctant to reveal his identity to his sister. It was frightening to consider the possibility of rejection by your dearest family, of seeing her image of you change forever.

He rested his head against the tree trunk. It was easy to give this kind of advice, but much harder to follow it. Whose judgment should he trust? "Is it that important to you?"

"I...can't. Even if..." The branch vibrated slightly as he stood. "I can't."

"Hiei, wait." Shiori had already proven flexible enough for his first major revelation. Perhaps she might have room in her heart for this one as well. "I can't do it on my own, either. But I'm not alone anymore."

The fire demon watched him silently, reading him. Struggling with himself. Finally he knelt, his balance flawless, and pressed a light kiss on the kitsune's forehead. "It will be a good summer, ne?"

Kurama scooped his lover into his arms, nearly toppling them both. "Hai. I promise."

* * *

"'Kaasan, let me help you with that."

Surprised, Shiori nevertheless gratefully allowed her son to take the overflowing basket of clean laundry. "Just set it there on the table for me, if you would..."

"Nonsense." He laid the basket where indicated but fended her off when she tried to get near it. "You sit down. I'll have this finished in a few minutes." He began folding the clothes and sorting them into separate piles.

"That's very thoughtful of you," she protested, "but why aren't you with your friends? You should be out getting fresh air and enjoying yourself with people your age, not cooped up in here doing housework with me."

He tossed her a bright smile. "I have plenty of time; can't I spend some of it with a special lady?"

She shook her head with amused exasperation and did as he requested, sitting opposite him. She really did appreciate the chance to take a brief rest.

"Actually," he went on, "I do have an ulterior motive. There's something I'd like to tell you." He set a shirt down on the top of its stack and paused, brushing at it to remove imaginary wrinkles. "I hope you will be able to accept it...accept *me* after you hear it."

"Shuuichi-kun?" A hundred concerns flashed through her mind at his tone. Was he in trouble? Had he done something wrong? Was there a problem at school? His hesitance worried her more than anything. Even when he had come to her about Hiei, he had spoken freely.

He continued to look down at the laundry, not meeting her gaze. "I'm...not..." he wrestled with the words.

"Say it, fox."

Shiori started. She hadn't noticed her son's friend standing beside him--she didn't think he had been there the moment before. He glared at the redhead and reached out suddenly. She was almost afraid he was about to strike, but instead he gripped Shuuichi's arm, murmuring in a voice so low she couldn't discern it.

Her son nodded a response and faced her squarely. "I'm not completely human."

She tried to puzzle out his statement, but it didn't make sense, unless he meant it metaphorically.

Once he had broken the initial barrier, however, it seemed easier for him to go on. He placed a hand flat against his chest. "This body is as human as you are. However, the soul inside contains the memories and abilities of the fox demon Kurama."

"Shuuichi-kun," she said, trying to be patient despite the confusion and slight fear she felt, "I don't know where you've been getting such ideas..."

"I'm finally telling you the absolute truth." His eyes pleaded for her understanding. "I am Youko Kurama. My previous body was severely wounded, and in desperation my soul took refuge inside the child you carried." He ran his fingers through his hair. "I had thought to leave this world when I could safely return to my former state. But you--you raised me and cared for me as no one else had in all my centuries."

She watched, in mixed horror and wonder, as a rose sprouted and bloomed in his hand, the whole process taking no more than a second. "How?" she breathed.

He placed the flower on the table in front of her. "You are my mother in every way that matters. I realize that it doesn't change who I am or what I've done, but if it counts for anything, I love you."

She couldn't tear her gaze from the blossom he had conjured. My baby, my Shuuichi, possessed by a demon? No, not possessed. If the wild tale were to be believed, she had never known him as other than this kitsune spirit. His first steps, his first words...every smile, every tear, everything that made him uniquely her son was a reflection of this Kurama.

She slowly stroked one of the rose petals. It was real, and fresh. She couldn't convince herself that it was a mere trick. There had to be so much more to his story, an entire lifetime he had kept bottled up inside these many years.

"You must have been lonely," she whispered. She looked up at him--at *them*, she corrected herself, since it was obvious from their interaction that the two shared a knowledge of this history she had yet to discover. She had so many questions, she could hardly decide where to begin.

Why hadn't he told her before now? From the evidence of his tense anxiety, she could easily guess. They had always needed to depend on one another, and he had just revealed that their relationship was based on deception. That secret would have been difficult for a young, vulnerable boy, and it would only become more so as time passed.

By rights, she should be appalled and furious. Yet she couldn't blame him for his action. He had been a blessing for her; she would not have given up a single day of knowing him, especially not if it would have meant his death. And she would not have wanted him to live the rest of his life hiding a part of himself to spare her feelings.

She had a great deal to learn about him. However, before she gave in to her own curiosity, it was important to her that he never become so isolated again. "Hiei-kun," she said, addressing the one person in whom she knew Shuuichi could confide, "take good care of my son. Although I love him very much, sometimes there are things he can't tell me. He shouldn't have to bear those burdens alone."

He studied her for a moment, then nodded sharply.

She turned at last to her remarkable child, who seemed to be balancing precariously between shock and joy. "The laundry can wait." She picked up the beautiful flower he had created for her. "I think today I would like to get to know Kurama."

* * *

Hiei caressed his lover's fiery hair. It had been a day since the revelation to Shiori, and the fox was *still* smiling, even as he slept with his head pillowed on the youkai's lap. The other members of their group would arrive soon, having decided to spend this sunny afternoon together, but the two would be alone for a short while more.

Hiei plucked up a pinch of grass and brushed it along the tip of the redhead's ear. It wasn't as sensitive as in his other forms, but the action always prompted a response.

Kurama twitched and swiped at the irritation before opening his eyes. He blinked accusingly up at the fire demon. "I was dreaming about you, you know. It was just getting to the interesting part."

Hiei pushed the kitsune off his lap. "Go back to sleep, then, if that's what you prefer."

Kurama rolled onto his back and clutched at his heart as if wounded. "Ah! And after my subconscious went to all the trouble of giving me new inspiration." He propped himself up on his elbows. "How long until the others get here?"

"Not *that* long."

"Oh." He sighed, then cocked his head and regarded the youkai quizzically. "Are you going to tell her today?"

Yukina would be with the group. If he managed to pry her away... But he couldn't do it. His fox meant well, but no matter how he faced the situation, it was simply impossible.

"At least tell her *something*," Kurama insisted. "Give her a chance to get closer to you. She deserves that much."

What she deserved was not to have a brother like him. Yet he had formed a pact, of a sort, with the youko; he had to make the attempt. Reluctantly, almost imperceptibly, he nodded his assent. He was committed.

He held himself aloof from the rest when they came, though that was hardly unusual. He kept a critical eye on the ensuing boisterous activity as the humans celebrated their temporary freedom from school. Yuusuke tried to involve him in the boys' inevitable wrestling match, but soon gave up his efforts when it became clear the fire demon wasn't interested.

Instead, Hiei watched his sister enjoying the world around her. She smiled so easily. If anything he did--or said--took that smile from her, even for a moment... He huddled in on himself, frustrated. Kurama's human mother had accepted him, despite his past, and she might almost be considered more innocent than Yukina. Yet...

"Is something wrong, Hiei-san?" a sweet voice interrupted his thoughts.

Yuusuke and Kuwabara were engaged in recreating some kind of battle a short distance away, each pretending to command a huge army, for which they were taking turns acting out the parts. The fox was apparently keeping score, while Keiko alternated between shouting encouragement and insults. That left the youkai twins essentially alone together by what seemed a convenient stroke of luck (but which was more likely to be subtle manipulation by the oh-so-helpful youko, if Hiei was any judge).

He met her eyes. At least tell her *something*! his mind echoed grouchily. But what? He formed the first few words by sheer force of will. "Yukina, I--I wanted to tell you..."

"Mm?" Her kind, open expression displayed infinite patience.

He swallowed. He had raised her expectations; he couldn't let her down. "I..." It was no use. He was at a complete loss for something to say, some part of his life to share with her. He wouldn't be in this mess if--if it weren't for that damned fox!

Of course. The fox.

"I wanted to tell you." He put all the strength of his inner turmoil into his next statement. "I. Love. Kurama."

She clasped her hands in front of her, blushing. "Hiei-san, that's...why don't you say it to him?"

"He already knows." He pierced her with his gaze. "He's become part of my family, that's why. Do you understand?"

When she slowly shook her head, he went on, "Sometimes it's hardest to tell family, the ones who most need to hear, and they must listen to the heart, not the words. *Now* do you understand?"

She stared at him, searching for comprehension. Then, tentatively, she reached out and laid her palm on his chest. "This heart," she smiled, "has the same voice as mine."

He lowered his eyes, his courage nearly deserting him, though it was far too late to retreat. If he had disappointed her, he didn't think he could ever forgive himself.

"And it speaks beautifully, Hiei." She peeked up at him. "As I've always known it would." Before he could react, she wrapped her arms around his waist and squeezed gently.

Despite the months he had spent in a close physical relationship, he was still unaccustomed to being touched out of spontaneous intimacy. However, if he accepted it from the kitsune, he couldn't very well reject it from his sister. He patted her carefully on the back, then relaxed when she released him. Her happy laughter drove the remaining doubts from his mind. Kurama had been right after all.

He smirked and cast a glance at his self-satisfied lover. Those were a few more words that wouldn't pass his lips any time soon.

The End

[Fox and Phoenix page]
© 1998 Amparo Bertram