There Comes a Child

Book I, Part Four


Botan was called away to perform her normal duties just before the end of the tour, leaving the Seishi to spend another night in the Reikai until she could spare the time to send them home. Tamahome managed to avoid Suboshi all afternoon, though the spirit made several attempts to converse with him.

Shortly after he had put his charge to bed, however, he received a summons from the one who had organized their attack on the dragon that morning. He reported to Koenma's office, bowing respectfully to his host.

The child regarded him, sucking pensively on his pacifier, barely visible over the three stacks of files adorning his desk. Finally he picked up one of the folders and paged through it, eyes moving as he scanned its contents. "You don't wish to hear the apology," he said, presuming the warrior would follow his reference.

"I do not," he agreed.

"Why?"

"It would be a waste of effort. I will never forgive that monster, no matter what excuses he's devised. There is no point in his even trying."

"I see." Koenma closed the file and replaced it on the stack. "Did Botan tell you the full impact of your decision?"

"I know that, without being able to make peace with me, his soul will have to be judged for every detestable act he's committed."

"His *half* of the soul," came the correction.

Tamahome frowned as he puzzled over that statement. "What do you mean?"

"Why do you think the twins were able to share such a strong connection?" the deity replied. He tapped the file. "Amiboshi and Suboshi are two halves of the same soul. When they reincarnate, they will once again be merged into a single being. Their mutual fate will be determined by the actions of both."

The Seishi found his gaze drawn to the innocuous folder. Botan had indeed said that the brothers had each received only half the power necessary to create a complete soul, but the implication of that fact had escaped his notice. He bore no grudge against Amiboshi. On the contrary, he owed the musician more than he could ever repay, for protecting the life of the Suzaku No Miko.

He groaned inwardly with frustration. Suboshi, the animal who had reveled in the slaughter of a defenseless man and four innocent children--the youngest little more than a baby--was inextricably bound to a healer who wanted only peace. To give in to his anger at one meant condemning them both. It wasn't fair that such a choice should be thrust upon him, between the Seishi who had taken away his main reason for living and the one who had returned to him another.

He couldn't forgive. He knew that. Yet... Could he categorically refuse to listen, now that he understood the consequences? He was playing with the destiny of an immortal soul. He didn't know how much his denial would cost that soul--his contribution might turn out to be insignificant--but could he really take that chance?

He inhaled deeply, clearing his mind, then sighed. "Very well. I'll hear him out."

Koenma leaned back in his chair, satisfied. "Then you should find him now, while you still have the opportunity."

Tamahome nodded his acceptance and turned to go, then paused. There was a question that had been gnawing at him ever since he had learned the nature of this place. "Do you have one of those..." he waved at the cluttered desk, "...for me?"

"No, not yet. Oh, one exists, you can be certain of that, but it isn't sent to me until it needs my approval. You're in no danger of dying at the moment."

The Seishi touched the simple ring on his left hand. "When I come back as a real person, will I have any choice over who I will be with?"

The pacifier traveled to the corner of the child's mouth as he considered how to answer. "Not exactly, but it's not random. You will receive the fate you deserve. That decision is based on the data gained from your current incarnation."

"I see." He would just have to make sure he deserved the life he desired. "Thank you." He took his leave.

His search for the ghost met with quick success. The brothers were still talking, trying to catch up on the past years' events, thoughts, and feelings while they could. "Suboshi," he called, barely suppressing a growl.

The dead Seishi attended him at once, his boyish face deceptively innocent. "Tamahome-san?"

He couldn't do this, not with Amiboshi watching. "Kaika, could you please excuse us?"

"It's all right, Aniki," the spirit said, his eyes never wavering. "Botan-chan's busy tonight, which means the oni will be hard at work. Why don't you treat them to background music?"

Amiboshi understood the situation and exited gracefully, allowing the two their privacy. With his departure, Tamahome's resolve hardened. "Speak your piece."

Suboshi bowed deeply before him. "Tamahome-san, I have wronged you greatly, bringing dishonor to myself and my family name. I humbly ask that you accept my apology. I will do anything in my power to make amends."

The warrior struggled to control his anger. It was an empty promise. There was *nothing* the ghost could do to compensate for his crimes. "You know why I can't forgive you. You murdered my father...my brothers...my little sisters..."

The Seiryuu Seishi winced at the recitation of his victims, but he held his ground. "I was mindless with grief. I thought you had murdered my twin. That doesn't make it *right*, but surely you understand the burning need for revenge."

He did indeed, and he was fighting it with every breath. "You almost killed me."

"I failed." He gestured at his spirit form. "As is obvious, you defeated me. Besides, our two countries were at war. Again, I *know* my actions were wrong, I admit that."

Tamahome narrowed his eyes, curling his left hand into a tight fist. His voice emerged dangerously quiet. "You tried to rape my wife."

Suboshi hesitated. His expression showed that he hadn't been prepared for that accusation. Slowly, he swallowed and nodded. "I don't think I could have gone through with it, but I did threaten her. I had her trapped in my arms." He seemed intent on getting all the details out in the open, no matter how distasteful. "She wanted to kill herself by falling from the cliff, but I wouldn't give her that escape." He didn't shrink from his enemy's smoldering gaze. "I'm guilty. I'm guilty of everything."

"You *bastard*," Tamahome ground out, but the other cut off the rest of his curse.

"Back then, I carried no forgiveness in my heart. I held you and the Suzaku No Miko responsible for everything bad--real or imagined--that happened to my Yui-sama. I wouldn't blame you if you sent my soul to the lowest hell in existence. I deserve it. Death gives one perspective on such things."

"But..." the warrior said, his fury overridden briefly by his confusion. This wasn't the confession of a man who expected to be redeemed.

"But I sincerely hope you don't. Not for my sake. For yours."

That made the Suzaku Seishi wary. "What do you mean?"

"The day I died, my one regret was that I had betrayed the trust of my Miko. I loved her. I wanted to please her. She asked for violence, and so I gave violence, without question.

"Your case is different. Your Miko could find the good in anyone. She believed in my brother, even after he ruined her dream of summoning your god. I'd like to think she would believe in me now."

"Don't you *dare* talk about Miaka!" Tamahome warned. "You have no right. You don't know anything about her."

"But you do. You know her better than anyone. What would she tell you, if you could ask her advice? In the end, it is not me to whom you must answer, it is your own conscience."

The words hit him like physical blows, striking at his greatest fear. Though his love for the girl he had married burned as strongly as ever, he knew he would never see her again as long as he lived, because she was real and he was only a character in a book. Was he still the same person inside? If she met him today, would she feel the same way about him? ...Or would she be disappointed?

His jaw clenched. The spirit was playing mind games with him, that was all--using his emotions against him, probing for his weaknesses.

Yet even if the speaker's motives were impure, the question remained valid. What would Miaka want him to do? And, with a sinking heart, he knew he could not deny the truth. Time after time, the precious girl had empathized with those who had done her harm, viewing the world through their eyes. Nuriko, Shoka, Amiboshi, Yui...and especially Tamahome himself. That was her gift. That was her essence.

"Damn you, Suboshi," he whispered. Damn you for bringing her into this. Damn you for making me remember. Damn you for being right. May Suzaku help me, despite every one of your past deeds... "I accept."

The ghost blinked at the conflicting messages. "What?"

"I accept your apology."

"Tamahome-san..."

He turned his back on the other Seishi. "I don't like you. I will *never* be your friend. I forgive you in Miaka's name; don't make me sorry I did so." Without waiting for a response, he walked away, heading for the bedroom he had been assigned, where he would once again fall asleep alone and meet his wife in the only world they could both share: his dreams.

* * *

Botan had hoped that the familiar routine of escorting souls to the next world would help to put her confused thoughts into some kind of order, but so far it had proven unsuccessful.

She had been assisting Suboshi because it was her job, but she enjoyed spending the time with him. Perhaps she enjoyed it too much. She had found herself becoming interested in him in more than a professional sense, and that worried her.

She had given herself a stern talking-to and managed to convince herself that it wasn't serious. She was certainly attracted to him--one might say physically, except that he didn't have a body--but she knew she didn't really want a relationship with him. Their personalities didn't match at all. He was too *intense* for her.

He had beautiful eyes.

He was too young for her, at any rate. Despite the trials his experiences had put him through, he was still hardly more than a boy. If she ever did pursue a romance, it would have to be with someone a bit more mature, someone who could be a steadying influence on her.

He had such a nice voice, it almost seemed to caress her when he spoke.

He grew up knowing only war, violence, and death. She got enough of that through her duties to the Reikai; she didn't want it in her private affairs as well. She needed someone who could appreciate calm and life and having fun.

She had reminded herself firmly of all the objections, and it had worked. She had been able to resist the messages telling her that the Seishi was darned cute, and she should get to know him better while she had the chance. She had felt quite a sense of accomplishment at the triumph over her baser instincts.

She hadn't realized she had only won half the battle. That was the problem with twins.

Kaika had all of his brother's appeal and more. His presence made her defenses crumble. One by one, he made up for the qualities his brother lacked. The two were like opposites, and where Suboshi was completely wrong for her, Kaika was just right. The contrast was maddening.

And now here he was, sitting on a bench someone had provided for him outside Koenma's office, playing a soothing melody on his flute. She had never seen the oni so industrious and so relaxed at the same time. He stopped at her approach, lowering the instrument to his lap. "Welcome back, Botan-chan."

She couldn't very well pretend she didn't see him just because he made her tingle in places she was embarrassed even to contemplate, but she *could* ignore the effect. "It looks like you've found a way to occupy yourself, but you should be getting your rest. You have a big day tomorrow, returning home after such an adventure."

"I was waiting for you."

She didn't know how to respond to that. She concentrated on breathing.

He tapped the space on the bench next to him, urging her to sit. "I have a question for you," he said while she complied. "It's about my body."

This time there was no doubt the heat creeping across her face was due to a blush. She feigned a sudden interest in the sleeve of her kimono, hoping he didn't notice that she was turning the same color as the fabric. He did indeed have a nice body, which she knew from the glimpse she had inadvertantly stolen when awakening him the previous morning, but did he honestly expect her to *talk* about it?

"You said," he continued, either oblivious to or politely disregarding her reaction, "that Suboshi could inhabit it with me."

"Oh!" She raised her eyes to his, profoundly relieved. "Yes, of course. He can be with you, but he won't have a separate awareness. You will still be the one in command."

"What if...what if he were alone?"

"Alone?" That stumped her. "How could he be alone?"

"What if he took my place? Could he live again, as before, if I gave my body to him?"

She set her mind to the question, finding the theoretical basis intriguing. "You and he are essentially the same soul, so the body wouldn't reject him. Since you're identical twins, he could easily assume control over it..." The ramifications began to sink in. "That would mean... Kaika, severing your soul from its natural host--that's nearly the same as death!"

He smiled, running his fingers lightly along the flute. "He's my little brother," he said simply. "I would gladly die for him."

"You can't--!" she protested, then halted, swallowing. He *could*.

"It wouldn't have to be permanent. If we can switch once, we can do it again. I want him to have a taste of what a good life can be like, before it's too late."

"You haven't told *him* about this idea, I take it."

"I had to know if it was possible, first. Besides, he's very protective of me. I don't think he'd understand. I am the head of the family, however, so he would go along with it, once we set it in motion."

"We?"

He cocked his head, his eyes gleaming, including her in a solemn conspiracy. "I'll need your help. Are you with me?"

"It will only be temporary, right? After he's had a sample of your life..."

"We'll make another exchange," he finished for her. "I'll go back where I belong, and he will wait for my real death."

"I suppose I can accept that," she agreed, unsure if the root cause of her reluctance was an unwillingness to see him give up his vibrant life, even for a moment; dismay at the thought of losing him twice, having to bid farewell to both his body and soul separately; or the nagging fear that all would not go as planned.

He distracted her from her worry with a touch on the back of her hand. "Botan-chan, when I finally do leave my body forever," the small tremor in his voice told her that he was not as immune to anxiety about the future as he would like to appear, "you will come to collect my soul and keep it safe, won't you?"

She nodded without hesitation. "I'll be there for you, Kaika. I promise."

* * *

While it was great to be on an expedition together as Seishi once again--traveling to a new world, meeting exotic people, and kicking Seiryuu butt--Genrou was glad to be returning to Konan. He had thought it unnerving to fight the ghosts of the Genbu Seishi during their quest for the Shinzaho; a place that dealt almost exclusively with such supernatural matters was not his notion of an ideal destination.

Besides, he couldn't help worrying about how his gang was faring without him. The empress was generous in letting them have the run of the city whenever he wanted to visit, as repayment for services rendered during the war, but even with Kouji's guidance they were bound to wear out their welcome if they stayed too long. The palace would be in enough of an uproar already, due to the missing prince, without a gang of wild-spirited bandits, ticked off by the disappearance of their leader, clamoring at the gates. It would be best if he got back to them before they did something he would regret.

Hiei and his kitsune companion arrived to see them off. It had taken him by surprise when Nuriko pointed out their relationship, all those years ago, but he had no trouble observing it now. They were always hyper-aware of each other's presence, even when intent on separate conversations. Kurama couldn't disguise the pride in his eyes every time his gaze fell upon his chosen, and the asocial fire demon would suffer no one else's touch. Genrou idly wondered if the fox derived as much enjoyment from his partner's fangs as Kouji did.

He found himself standing next to Hiei when the prince decided to say his goodbyes, and so he had a prime view of the spectacle. Hoshi held his arm out toward the demon, palm down, and made a regal sweeping gesture in the direction of the floor. Hiei stared at him, then scowled in rebellion when he realized he was being ordered to kneel. The poor boy, unaccustomed to disobediance, didn't know not to take it personally.

The bandit thumped Hiei, presuming upon their former interaction to get away with such an offense. "Hey," he said, pitching his voice so it wouldn't carry. "The brat thinks you're too tall. He just wants to look you in the eye." The Seishi were used to the request and generally complied without hesitation--at least until he grew closer to his father's stature.

The fire demon's frown lessened, then smoothed away into an impassive mask as he finally gave in. The prince smiled, his whole face lighting up now that everything was right in his world. It was at moments like this that Genrou understood why he could deny the kid nothing. Perhaps it was a trick of the light, but every so often, when he watched the boy express his happiness, he could swear that Nuriko looked back at him.

Hoshi took a step forward and wrapped his arms around the startled demon's neck, hugging him and whispering in his ear. Hiei seemed frozen at first, but then he awkwardly managed to return the innocent embrace, giving the child a quick squeeze before disentangling himself and retreating.

Genrou would have snickered, but he knew that would earn him the scorching of a lifetime.

Then Kurama approached the prince, clasping something small. He crouched down before the child and transferred what he held into one of the tiny hands. "These were given to me by someone who cared very deeply for your father." He brushed at the boy's violet-tinted bangs. "Your hair is beautiful. I think she would have wanted you to have them."

Hoshi nodded seriously and held his fist to his chest. "Arigatou, Kitsune-san."

Kurama's breath caught in his throat, and he paused before he spoke again. "I'm honored to have met you, Your Highness. May you rule your country wisely and well."

"All right, everyone, it's time," Botan announced.

The trip back to their world proceeded smoothly, since nothing blocked the ponytailed girl from tracing their bodies' connections to their homelands. She would guide the twins directly to Sairou, she informed them, after the Suzaku Seishi were settled. Genrou watched her zoom off on her oar, then turned to Tamahome. "*You* can explain to Houki-sama. I'm outta here."

The brat stopped him with a gentle tug on his coat. "You will come to my party, won't you, Tasuki-ojisan?"

He grinned. "You better believe it, kid. I didn't travel all this way just to miss out on the biggest event of the year. Five years old--why, you're practically a man already." He gave the boy a pat on the shoulder. A devilish thought occurred to him, and he couldn't resist, despite the thrashing he knew he'd receive for it. He poised himself to take off running. "When your mother asks you what happened," he advised with a wink, "don't forget to tell her it was all Tama-chan's fault!"

He nearly made it out of the palace before his warrior friend caught him.

* * *

Koenma glared at her. She wished she could become invisible to him as she could to humans. "Would you care to explain *that*?" he demanded, pointing at the file he had thrust into her hands.

She didn't even have to open it to know what it said. After her conversation with Kaika that morning, she knew she would be called to account for her actions. "I was only trying to help them..."

"*Help*?" he repeated, his disbelief plain. "By diverting souls from their designated courses?"

"Well," she suggested in a tiny voice, "if you add up the changes, they actually cancel each other out, so if you think about it, I really didn't do anything at all."

He didn't seem very impressed.

"It was supposed to be temporary," she continued. "A day or two at the most. Then I would switch them again, and everything would be back to normal, with both of them a little more content." It should have worked. It still could, technically, but the twins would likely end up hating her for it, and she didn't even want to consider that.

"Do you realize the extra work you've created? Forms will have to be retyped, names duplicated, data shifted..."

She had to put her foot down somewhere. She could understand being chastized for breaking rules, but when he would let paperwork stand in the way of happiness, she couldn't hold her tongue. "They're both where they want to be!" she burst out. Without stopping to think, she spilled the whole story, beginning with her offer to join the two brothers into one body and ending with her talk with Kaika only a short while ago.

The musician could contact Suboshi through his dreams. As when they had been in the reciprocal situation, what was a day for Kaika could be weeks for his brother. Botan hadn't expected that to be a problem, but she had neglected to anticipate one important factor.

The twins shared a soul, yet their personalities differed considerably. Kaika loved his parents dearly, and he had grown accustomed to their mannerisms. It didn't occur to him to prepare his brother for how persistent they could be concerning one matter in particular. They had a handsome, talented, well-liked, adult, unmarried son. They wanted to remedy the latter condition as swiftly as possible. They wanted, in short, a house full of grandchildren.

Kaika had not felt that any of the young village women they encouraged him to court were compatible with him. Suboshi, on the other hand, who was experiencing life for the first time after years as a ghost, found himself falling hard. In the two days that had passed in the Reikai, he had spent three months allowing one of his "mother's" matches to capture his heart.

"He wants to marry her," Botan concluded. "He's already lost his first love. Can't we let him stay?"

He frowned thoughtfully. "Amiboshi has agreed to this? To give up the life that is his by right?"

"He has." She was certain of that, though the way he had phrased it confused her. She shoved that mystery to the back of her mind, to be dealt with after the present crisis.

"Well..." He took the file back from her. "What will he do until his brother's death?"

"The same thing Suboshi could have done: wait here. He can be useful, you know. With his musical talent, he can help this place run more efficiently. That should more than make up for any time lost due to the trouble the exchange has caused."

She had won, and they both knew it. Koenma did what he must, no matter how unpleasant, to ensure that the afterlife worked smoothly, but he could be a real sweetheart when it counted. He relented gracefully. "As long as he doesn't disrupt the schedules...all right. The twins can remain where they are."

"Oh, thank you, Koenma-sama!" she cried excitedly. She was a complete sucker for happy endings. She excused herself and went to tell Kaika the good news.

What was it he had said? "There was one thing my brother could not give up for me. I have discovered that there is also one thing I cannot give up for him. He forced the life I desired upon me; I now return the favor. I will never reclaim my body. I have something far more important."

She shivered at the memory of the look in his eyes, serious and fulfilled, yet somehow sad at the same time. He had sacrificed so much for his brother's sake.

Perhaps it was selfish of her, but she couldn't bring herself to be sorry at his choice. She hadn't wanted him to leave. She knew she had become more personally involved with this case than was proper, but as long as she had feelings, she would always run that risk. At least now the matter had been satisfactorily resolved for all concerned.

She nodded cheerfully to herself. A happy ending indeed.

End Book I

[previous] [Fox and Phoenix page]
© 1998 Amparo Bertram