The Fox and the Phoenix

Part Four, Supplemental


Hiei sighed softly as he ran through the palace grounds. He was tired. It had been a very long day. It had begun with a disquieting discussion with the boy Chiriko and ended with a practice session with Tasuki. All day he had poured his energy into forcing Kurama from his mind. He rubbed the back of his neck wearily; he hadn't succeeded.

He kept thinking about their friendship and how much he had come to depend on Kurama as both a fellow warrior and companion. In his whole life, only the kitsune had ever taken the time to ask him if something was bothering him. He also happened to be the only person sufficiently brave to try teasing him. Not too many people were foolhardy enough to joke around with a fire demon suffering from a perpetual bad mood.

Kuwabara didn't count.

The recognition that Hiei had come to depend on Kurama's presence in his life didn't come as too much of a surprise, but he hadn't realized that he considered their partnership to be exclusive. Yet, the fire demon couldn't ignore the fact that he always felt most comfortable when teamed with Kurama and had usually found some way to ensure it. Yuusuke was a decent fighter and even the idiotic Kuwabara had his moments, but neither of the two men made him feel that he could completely trust them to guard his back so that he could relax and enjoy the battle.

Somewhere along the way, however, his awareness of Kurama had undergone some subtle changes. Hiei began to notice how both male and female humans were drawn to the youko's "Shuuichi" form, and, for the first time, he stopped to consider Kurama's attraction and his response to it. The answers he found were very disturbing. He finally had to admit to himself that he considered Kurama beautiful in whatever form he chose to take. From playful fox, to innocent bishounen human, and finally, to the confident and very sensual youko.

Yet, all of his thinking really hadn't gotten him anywhere. He was still as confused as ever about what his suddenly overwhelming feelings meant to their relationship. He sighed once more. Maybe getting some sleep and the light of a new day would put things into better perspective.

Hiei stopped abruptly at the sight of Kurama's fox form curled up beneath his sleeping tree. What does he think he's doing? He has a perfectly good bed inside the palace.

The fire demon sank to his knees beside the silver fox and took a moment simply to stare. He thought back over the day again and snorted quietly. He had wanted to keep an eye on Kurama to monitor his developing relationship with Nuriko, so he had chosen to spar with Tasuki in the open area of the courtyard. Kurama and the lady Seishi were engaged in a conversation that seemed to be entertaining both of the participants. Just when the fire demon had decided to ignore the couple as Tasuki's flaming had come a *little* too close for comfort, the annoying youko had waltzed over to them and adjusted his jacket.

Not knowing exactly what had prompted such unlooked-for attention and unable to decipher the message that Kurama was trying to convey with his intense gaze, Hiei had decided antagonism was the best cover for his confusion. "What was *that* for?" he growled.

The youkai closed his eyes and shook his head, remembering the fox's idiotic answer that he didn't want Hiei to get cold. Ch, I'm a *fire* demon! I don't *get* cold! He knew that hadn't been the real reason Kurama had unexpectedly decided to interfere, but he had no idea why the silly fox had done it. Suddenly, Hiei was filled with a strong impulse to provoke the beautiful youko, and he had defiantly shrugged his shoulders, baring them both. He had been strangely disappointed when his action hadn't elicited any reaction other than a careful, searching look from Kurama before the fox had walked back to the laughing lady Seishi.

Hiei's eyes blinked open as he returned his attention to the curled form of his friend sleeping before him. Slowly the youkai stretched out his hand and passed it lightly over the fur covering Kurama's back. He was startled by how soft it felt to his callused hand, and he was suddenly filled with an intense yearning to rub his face in its fluffy warmth. Realizing just how strong the desire was becoming and rather appalled that he actually wanted to *cuddle*, Hiei jerked his hand back and exhaled his breath sharply. He needed to wake Kurama so that the youko would go back into the palace where he belonged. Hiei contemplated the pointed fox ears a moment before giving in to his impulse to touch them. Resisting the urge to caress them, however, he ruffled them lightly and smiled when the fox stretched and blinked up at him.

He buried his emotions once more with gruff words, wanting to encourage Kurama to leave quickly, and congratulated himself when the fox rose to his feet. The fire demon nearly jumped in surprise when, instead of leaving immediately, the youko leaned closer and gazed up into his eyes. Just when Hiei was determined to shove the suddenly affectionate fox away in embarrassment, Kurama licked him on the cheek and bounded quickly toward the palace.

The small demon was left in such a state of confusion that for several moments all he could do was stare after the retreating form of his unpredictable friend, his mind entirely blank. He glanced down at his chest and lap and let out a surprised, yet heartfelt oath. His black shirt was *covered* in silver fur. He growled softly as he roughly brushed away the soft, clinging strands. Kuso! Stupid fox!

End Supplemental Part 4

[previous main part]
[previous yaoi part]
[next main part]
[next yaoi part]
[fanfic]
[Fox and Phoenix page]

© 1997 Jenn