The Fox and the Phoenix

Part One, Supplemental


Hiei frowned as he took in their surroundings. This was *not* where he and Kurama had expected the gate to take them, wherever *this* was. He eyed the room in which they had been deposited and decided that it was safe enough. It appeared to be some type of richly appointed holy place. No harm in being overly cautious, though, and he drew his sword, prepared to meet any adversaries who might suddenly attack them.

When no one emerged to challenge their presence, he began to survey the various rooms, looking for exits that could be used for potential escape routes. He had noticed that Kurama didn't seem overly concerned with their current predicament and relaxed slightly, reassured by the youko's attitude. Finished with his inspection of the area closest to him, Hiei sheathed his sword as he paused to glance around, wanting to discuss the strange situation that he had observed when he had looked out one of the windows facing an open courtyard. He had noticed some people who might be able to help them, or at least tell them where they were.

Ch, where did that stupid fox wander off to now? Hiei's gaze fell on the gorgeous, and unmistakably priceless, gold statue and shook his head as the obvious answer came to him. Probably looking for something valuable to steal. The youko was, after all, first and foremost a thief, and he would feel no compunction about taking a memento or two with him from this little, unexpected visit. He began walking in the direction of what sounded faintly like a waterfall.

After pacing along for several minutes, Hiei stumbled across a breathtakingly beautiful area of the temple, cleverly designed to contain a large pool. The sound of rushing water came from a gently flowing waterfall at the far end of the lagoon. Hiei sensed his body responding to the sudden feelings of serenity evoked by the tranquil location. It was clearly a place to relax and clear one's mind and soul of any worries; pain, anger, and fear were concepts that seemed far removed from this peaceful sanctuary. He sighed quietly to himself, his relaxed state bringing various small aches and pains to his attention.

A small splash drew his gaze to another part of the pool where he could detect a slight movement. He flitted over to the side and discovered Kurama's discarded robe lying on the floor. Eyes widening, Hiei shifted his gaze to focus on the water where Kurama was lazily swimming away from him. The fire demon swallowed heavily, body frozen as he watched, fascinated, while the youko gracefully ducked beneath the water and flipped. He rose to the surface again with a gasp and leaned his head back to slick his hair away from his face, his pointed fox ears made all the more startling by his wet hair.

Hn, no wonder so many youkai have tried to seduce him. He's magnificent! Hiei had always known that Kurama was a beautiful creature and that fact had never disturbed him before. It was just something to laugh about to himself as he watched the clever fox use his looks to charm other people into doing what he wanted. He was well aware of how his friend used both his wits and his sensual charisma in equal measures to achieve his goals, and it appeared to be instinctive. The sexy kitsune seemed to know when a flirtatious toss of his hair or a casual wink would benefit his cause. Hiei usually just rolled his eyes and snorted to himself, amazed that such transparent methods worked time after time. He had never really considered what made the silver youko so attractive. Yet, here he was with no clothing to distract from his natural beauty, and--for the first time since Hiei had known him--the fire demon found himself enthralled.

Kurama swam over to a shallower area of the pool by the waterfall and, still keeping his back to Hiei, stood up to stretch languorously, easing various kinks out of his back and causing muscles to ripple enticingly. Hiei gasped as he watched the unconsciously erotic display. The water only reached about halfway up Kurama's buttocks and flirted coquettishly with his tail as it lapped against him gently, responding to his movements. Then, catching Hiei off guard, the youko turned suddenly and backed up to allow the waterfall to tumble over him.

The fire demon shook his head in amazement as he watched. Due to his nature, Hiei had never had a particular affinity for water and had never really considered water to be useful for anything other than to drink and get clean. Yet, watching Kurama revel in the sensual flow of the water over his gloriously naked body, Hiei revised his opinion. He still had no desire to frolic about in the water, if he could even figure out how one *did* that, but he certainly had no complaints with watching the fox play.

Kurama finally stepped out from under the waterfall and, tipping his head back, raised his hands to sweep his silver hair up on top of his head. The position stretched his neck and tautened the skin covering his collarbone, drawing attention to the elegant curve and the resulting hollows above it. Hiei licked his lips as he let his eyes run over the pale, graceful area and then farther down. Kurama's various physical activities had developed superb musculature in his chest and abdomen, all covered in smooth, golden skin. It wasn't the overly developed frame of a hired thug, only useful for the number of enemies he could successfully subdue, but rather the supple figure of a natural athlete.

With one last stretch, Kurama eased back into the water and began swimming toward his robe and, consequently, Hiei, who was trying to get his heart rate back to normal. Why did I have to notice him *now*?! I don't *want* to feel this way about him! The fire demon shook his head sharply, trying to ignore the small voice tempting him to consider how much more they could be to each other if... No! Kurama is *just* a teammate!

The youko glanced up and noticed the small youkai standing by the edge of the pool and stood so that he could wade the rest of the distance. Hiei took refuge in going on the offensive. "What do you think you're doing?"

"Enjoying myself. Why don't you join me?"

Hiei knew that Kurama didn't really expect him to join him in the pool and he simply ignored the teasing question. "Get out of there. Something is happening outside. You should see it." There. Maybe now he'll get out of that stupid pool and put some clothes on.

"Can't it wait a while? It's been a rough day--for both of us. We deserve a bit of fun."

A feeling of unease had been steadily growing within the fire demon as he stood watching his friend swim, but he had been too preocupied with Kurama's antics to notice. The enraged presence refused to be ignored any longer, however, and Hiei glanced around carefully, trying to locate its source. "Why is this place getting angry at us? What have you been doing?" Or should I say, stealing? The small youkai groaned inwardly, watching helplessly as Kurama climbed out of the pool and squeezed the excess water out of his hair and tail. Knowing that his wandering gaze would get him into trouble, Hiei focused his eyes on the fox's ears and concentrated on their discussion.

"Nothing...yet," the youko returned, sensing the presence as well. "Perhaps I *should* take a look outside."

The fire demon smirked at that. Before or after you decide to put on some clothes? "They're all humans out there." Of course, it *would* be rather interesting to see how they react to a seven foot tall demon with furry ears and a tail. He waited while Kurama dressed quickly and then disappeared through the door of the temple into the rain, heading for the group of people he had observed earlier.

It seemed like there was a duel going on between two young men with a group of about five others looking on. One of the men seemed to have a dark, unnatural aura about him. They both watched as a young girl came running up, calling out to one of the swordsmen. All at once the older of the two men gained the advantage and pierced his opponent's stomach with his sword. The girl hurried over to the fallen man and gathered him into her arms, sobbing his name. The injured human refused to remain still, however, and reached out for his sword, which was just inches beyond his grasp.

"What does he think he's trying to do?" Kurama questioned. Hiei shrugged and continued to watch as the human female picked up the sword and gave it to the wounded man, obviously uncaring when it became evident that he meant to kill her. Hiei glanced over at his companion to see how he was reacting to this unexpected development and was unsurprised that the youko was fighting his impulse to help the girl. After all, Kurama was now in his human, Shuuichi form, and he was probably suppressing all of his protective instincts at seeing a helpless girl in trouble.

Then the danger was over as the darkness that had been controlling the young man's actions abruptly released its hold on him. Another, older, man walked over to the wounded swordsman and healed him. The air filled with cheers as the people watching the strange tableau celebrated the outcome of the duel, including the other swordsman who had wounded the man in the first place. I *don't* want to know! Hiei grumbled to himself.

They were challenged by an almost comically bandaged human male. Hiei stood silent during the exchange, content to allow Kurama to come up with a plausible explanation of how they had come to be there.

Soon one of the other people who had been watching the duel strolled over to them, a beautiful woman with lovely hair gathered in a long braid over her shoulder. Hiei shifted from one foot to the other, impatient with the small talk. Besides, it was still raining, and he realized that he didn't want to watch Kurama work his charm on this extremely attractive woman. "Stupid fox, chatting in the rain. You stay and talk; I'm going somewhere dry." Hiei darted away, leaving Kurama to discover what he could from these strange humans. I'll just scout out the area and see what I can find out. And I need some time to think about...things.

* * *

Hiei silently approached the door of the room that the lady Seishi had assigned to Kurama. He had kept an eye on the two of them and, curious to find out what the kitsune had discovered, followed them when they had left the others. He had scouted around a bit, mostly using the time to try to convince himself that the attraction he had felt for Kurama earlier meant nothing and there was no need to worry that their relationship would be affected. The door was already slightly ajar, so he pushed it open a little more and looked inside.

Nice room, but it leaves the stupid fox too vulnerable. The youkai quickly glanced around the richly appointed room, taking in the lack of an alternate exit with a scowl. He supposed Kurama would choose this kind of arrangement over a tree any night of the week, but he preferred the safety of high branches and the openness of a star-studded sky.

Hiei turned his attention to Kurama, who was standing next to the bed with his back to the door, looking through a pile of clothing He was just about to announce his presence when the youko shrugged out of his sodden uniform, allowing it to land in a heap at his feet.

The fire demon sucked in his breath in shock and stared as Kurama grabbed a towel from the bed and briskly ran it over his body and long, flame-colored hair, ridding it of the excess moisture left by the rain. Dropping the dampened towel on the floor to join his discarded outfit, Kurama lifted both arms over his head and stretched luxuriously, obviously reveling in the sensation of being warm and dry again.

Hiei wasn't too surprised to discover that Kurama's human form was no less attractive than his youko guise.

Shimatta...he's beautiful!

Realizing that he was starting to feel a little light-headed, Hiei quietly let out the breath he had unconsciously held and braced a shaky hand on the doorframe. He was surprised to discover that his body had physically reacted to the sight of his friend's nakedness. His thoughts reflected his confusion at the strange feelings that swept through him, and they were an unwelcome reminder of his earlier reaction to the youko's innocently sensual display.

Why do I feel this way about Kurama? He's my teammate, not some potential lover, Hiei thought desperately.

As if he would ever want *you*! the realistic part of him snarled. If your own people couldn't accept and want you, what makes you think that Kurama would? The ruthless voice rapidly cooled his sudden and disconcerting passion, transforming it into frustrated anger. Besides, the voice continued slyly, what could a *forbidden child* offer such a sensual creature? You've never even...

Shut up! Hiei thought viciously. It's enough just to work with him. I don't need more. Coldly ignoring the voice softly calling him a liar, the youkai once more focused his attention on his friend, watching as he carefully picked out a cream outfit trimmed in russet.

Hiei smirked slightly, regaining his equilibrium. So vain. He's got to know that outfit will accent his hair.

He continued to watch the youko as he leaned against the doorframe and waited for the fox to notice him. Kurama dressed quickly and was belting the ensemble together when he turned toward the door and spotted Hiei.

Feeling the need to excuse his silent presence in Kurama's doorway, the fire spirit asked the first plausible question he could think of, "What do you suggest we do now, Kurama?"

"You could put on dry clothes," the youko suggested, nodding toward the pile resting on the bed.

Hiei snorted to himself, swiftly took off his soaked jacket, and put it up to dry on the handle of Kurama's wardrobe. "There. Are you through with distractions? We need to settle this." He used their perilous situation to distract himself from the reality that he was alone with Kurama in his room. He kept his eyes trained on the youko as the bed seemed to double in size in his peripheral vision. He had never really considered how nice it might be to relax on a soft surface while exploring a lover's body and discovering what brought them the most pleasure.

He regained control of his concentration during the ensuing conversation about their unexpectedly generous hosts. Control that he promptly lost again when Kurama invited him to share his room. Nani?! Doesn't he realize it would mean sharing his bed? He stared at the youko in silence for a moment and then shook his head. I can't take that chance. I need more time to think before I can put these...feelings behind me.

"They would have us both in a place of their choosing. Vulnerable. We shouldn't risk it--not until we know more about them." And I don't trust myself to sleep beside you, I might end up wanting more.

Hiei shrugged at Kurama's comment that they should also be polite to the Seishi. "I'll see you in the morning."

"Wait--you're not coming to eat?"

"I have more scouting to do." And thinking. "I won't sleep until I know the territory." He grabbed his coat off the wardrobe and, making a short detour over to the bed to scoop up the tunic that Kurama had offered to him, vanished out the door. "Ja."

Hiei paused outside of Kurama's room and glanced down at the tunic he was holding in his hands. The lovely garment was a rich dark blue with silver trim. The tunic also had obviously genuine silver threads randomly sewn into the fabric, creating a gleaming pattern on the dark background.

Hn, it *is* beautiful, and he did seem to want me to wear it...

End Supplemental Part 1

[previous main part] [next main part]
[next yaoi part]
[fanfic]
[Fox and Phoenix page]

© 1997 Jenn