Celebration

by Jenn

with suggestions from Amparo Bertram


"So, what are we celebrating again?" Kuwabara asked for the third time.

Hiei glared from across the room, but he refrained from saying anything. Hiko was sitting on his lap, chewing on one of his belts, and she was at that age when she tended to repeat everything she heard with alarming accuracy.

Kurama had made him promise to watch what he said around her after Shiori had babysat one night. She had been on the phone with Yukina trying to get advice on what to feed the stubborn youkai, who refused to eat in her human form, when she happened to mention Kuwabara's name. The instantaneous and vulgar word that came out of Hiko's mouth had truly appalled the woman, especially since she knew the child was only repeating what she had obviously heard from the fire demon.

Hiei looked down at the beautiful little youkai sitting quietly for the moment and smirked. *He* hadn't seen the problem.

"We're celebrating Jenn and Amparo's story being finished," Yukina reminded the tall human.

"Oh, yeah." He looked down at the petite demoness and grinned foolishly.

Kurama nudged Yuusuke and mumured, "Kind of makes you glad the girls didn't write about *their* wedding night, ne?"

Yuusuke nodded in complete agreement, then added, "Well, at least *you* got one! I heard that they're starting to work on the third crossover, and Keiko and I are already supposed to be long married. I don't even get to see her in any sexy lingerie!"

Kurama inserted a sympathetic, "Hmm."

Yuusuke continued, "And another thing--I'm supposed to be the main character here! I mean, I'm actually *appreciated* in other writers' stories!"

"Maybe the girls will use you more in the third major story." The redhead thought desperately for a minute, trying to cheer up the other man. All it would take was Yuusuke waving his finger around at people, trying to make a point, and zap!--someone would be toasted because he wasn't getting any. "Well, you *are* married in the next part. I'm sure one of them will write a nice scene between you and Keiko."

That seemed to appease him, and he settled back in his chair with a silly smile on his face.

Keiko walked over to join them, handing them sodas. "Why are you grinning?"

Snapping out of his daydream, Yuusuke's eyes widened. "No reason!"

Kurama stepped smoothly into the awkward moment by asking, "Where are Botan and Amiboshi?"

Keiko continued to stare at Yuusuke for a second longer, not totally convinced that there wasn't something behind his innocent act. "They're coming with Koenma. I think they were getting some last minute information."

Just then the people in question walked through the door with George trailing behind them. "...All I'm saying is that I wish you wouldn't throw so much food at your viewscreen. I can handle the squid-on-a-stick, but do you have to throw the daifuku? Especially when you've been sucking on it? The gluten *does* stick, you know!"

"George!" Koenma shouted.

Startled, the oni winced. "What?"

"We'll talk about it later!" he said through gritted teeth.

"Well, I know how much you like to keep tabs on people, but I think it's silly that you throw stuff at them," he responded sulkily. "They can't *hear* you, after all."

The prince, currently in his teenage form, just continued to glare at the oni until he lapsed into silence. When he turned to face the room, he noticed that everyone was staring at him.

Yuusuke spoke up, "You mean that you actually *spy* on us?"

This time Koenma winced. "Hey! It's my job! Besides, unlike some people, *I* never get to leave my office. The girls never think to write about me doing anything other than work!"

Taking pity on him, Botan cleared her throat and announced, "We just found out that Jenn and Amparo are going to have Amiboshi and I get married."

"Yeah, I'll bet *they* get a wedding night!" Yuusuke griped under his breath.

"What was that?" Keiko asked.

"Nothing!"

"You keep saying that," she responded, eyeing him with distrust.

"Hah!" the Reikai prince exclaimed smugly, focusing on the blue-haired guide. "I've been pushing you two together all during the last story, but can you guys take a hint? Nooo!" he groused.

Keiko walked over to Botan. "But I thought you and Koenma would get together."

Botan snorted. "Uh, *uh*! He flirts too much. I refuse to spend all my time wondering if he's *really* locked in his office stamping papers or..." she trailed off, then continued delicately, "doing something else. Besides," she leaned closer to the other girl and whispered, "you have *no* idea how good a kisser Amiboshi is!"

Keiko raised her eybrows at that news and looked over at the oblivious Seishi talking with Kuwabara. "Really?"

Botan shivered a little. "Oh, *yeah*!"

Kuwabara was casually trying to bring up a subject that had been occupying his thoughts for some time now, but he wasn't too sure how to do it. Laughing nervously, he asked, "So, you guys are getting married, huh? That's really great." He nodded a couple of times. "Marriage is great," he confided, then looked around the room a little. "You haven't seen Botan with a baseball bat or anything, have you?" he asked abruptly.

Amiboshi looked at him oddly for a moment. "Um, no. I can't say that I have."

"*Good*, good. Just checking," Kuwabara informed him.

"Oookay," the flautist responded. He wasn't certain why the other man had asked him such a strange question, but the answer had obviously reassured him. "Oh, look. Botan's waving at me to join her. I'll talk to you later?" Not waiting for an answer, the Seishi beat a hasty retreat toward the unsuspecting guide.

The group eventually settled down to enjoy some refreshments and take turns at the karaoke machine.

Keiko was a little surprised that Yuusuke had a really good singing voice. His choice of song, "Dead or Alive," brought some interesting imagery to mind. She had always thought that his demon form was particularly sexy. Especially those intriguing tattoos. Hmm, I wonder if I can get one of the girls to write about *those*?!

Yuusuke happened to glance over at Keiko during his song and noticed that she was staring at him with an intense expression. I might not need a wedding night after all.

As everyone was packing up for the night, someone asked, "Does anyone know when Jenn and Amparo are starting the third crossover?"

Keiko looked around at the assorted groans and chuckles the question had elicited and met Yuusuke's gaze. She was pretty sure she wasn't the only one looking forward to what they would come up with next.

The End

[Fox and Phoenix page]
© 1998 Jenn